independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 22nd Jan 2020 11:20pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Jesse IS with D'Angelo
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/04/12 1:26am

toe

Jesse IS with D'Angelo

Not sure when he joined the tour, but saw an AMAZING show by D'angelo last night (first of 2 in London) & Jesse was there playing some fantastic guitar.

D's channelling James, Jimi, Al, & lots of Prince but still got that fantastic D'angelo treatment.

Piano section was sooo Prince.

I dont know how someone can be away for 10+ years and come back sooooo good!

[Edited 2/5/12 1:25am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/04/12 4:53pm

woogiebear

Saw some clips of D'Angelo & Jesse.......AMAZING!!!!!!!

Jesse is "Slicin' & Dicin'
like NOBODY'Z BIZNESS!!!!!!

cool cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/04/12 7:08pm

2elijah

avatar

D'Angelo is Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Prince, all wrapped up in one. I never knew D'Angelo played guitar that good. He's bringing back r&b. His rendition of 'SDM' and 'I'm Watching You' is awesome.'

[Edited 2/4/12 19:10pm]

Happy New Year!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/04/12 9:07pm

PurpleChi

avatar

Glad to see Jesse is back doing what he does best. Still too bad about O7 though...oh well, I hope D-Angelo brings that line-up to the U.S. soon.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/05/12 10:31am

controversy99

avatar

Awesome! Glad to hear he's actually on tour. I'm still annoyed that he left the O7 tour, but it would've been a total waste if you left O7 and didn't join up with D'Angelo. At least we get him somewhere.

"Love & honesty, peace & harmony"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/05/12 1:05pm

2sevens

toe said:

Not sure when he joined the tour, but saw an AMAZING show by D'angelo last night (first of 2 in London) & Jesse was there playing some fantastic guitar.

D's channelling James, Jimi, Al, & lots of Prince but still got that fantastic D'angelo treatment.

Piano section was sooo Prince.

I dont know how someone can be away for 10+ years and come back sooooo good!

[Edited 2/5/12 1:25am]

I was at that show too. Man I don't even know how to sum it up. It was such a good show and I'm glad D'Angelo didnt just churn out the 'greatest hits'. It was just full on, jamming, great music.

Jesse was fantastic yes, but there were some points where I felt he was showing off a bit and unless you were a die hard guitar solo lover, you may not have enjoyed those bits. Thankfully I am, but I was with friends who didn't fully get it. I agree that the piano bit was very 'Prince' and I liked that. Man I had such a good time that night. I'm still smiling and thankful that all is well with him.

[Edited 2/5/12 13:31pm]

There must be something wrong with the machinery!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/05/12 1:44pm

safetypin

2sevens said:



toe said:


Not sure when he joined the tour, but saw an AMAZING show by D'angelo last night (first of 2 in London) & Jesse was there playing some fantastic guitar.


D's channelling James, Jimi, Al, & lots of Prince but still got that fantastic D'angelo treatment.


Piano section was sooo Prince.


I dont know how someone can be away for 10+ years and come back sooooo good!


[Edited 2/5/12 1:25am]



I was at that show too. Man I don't even know how to sum it up. It was such a good show and I'm glad D'Angelo didnt just churn out the 'greatest hits'. It was just full on, jamming, great music.


Jesse was fantastic yes, but there were some points where I felt he was showing off a bit and unless you were a die hard guitar solo lover, you may not have enjoyed those bits. Thankfully I am, but I was with friends who didn't fully get it. I agree that the piano bit was very 'Prince' and I liked that. Man I had such a good time that night. I'm still smiling and thankful that all is well with him.

[Edited 2/5/12 13:31pm]




After last's nights show I actually respect Jesse for quitting the original 7ven. Given the choice of being part of a creative neo-soul / funk jam or sleepwalking through a 30 year old greatest hits cabaret.... It quickly becomes a no brainer.

As much as I love Morris Day, he ain't been relevant since the mid 80s.... And that's the truth Ruth!
holding something together that is falling apart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/05/12 3:05pm

Zannaloaf

safetypin said:

2sevens said:

I was at that show too. Man I don't even know how to sum it up. It was such a good show and I'm glad D'Angelo didnt just churn out the 'greatest hits'. It was just full on, jamming, great music.

Jesse was fantastic yes, but there were some points where I felt he was showing off a bit and unless you were a die hard guitar solo lover, you may not have enjoyed those bits. Thankfully I am, but I was with friends who didn't fully get it. I agree that the piano bit was very 'Prince' and I liked that. Man I had such a good time that night. I'm still smiling and thankful that all is well with him.

[Edited 2/5/12 13:31pm]

After last's nights show I actually respect Jesse for quitting the original 7ven. Given the choice of being part of a creative neo-soul / funk jam or sleepwalking through a 30 year old greatest hits cabaret.... It quickly becomes a no brainer. As much as I love Morris Day, he ain't been relevant since the mid 80s.... And that's the truth Ruth!

I disagree after the O7 album dropped. He MADE it relevant on that record. Though I kind of agree that Jesse is better off getting some recognition outside the Prince circle even tho it sucks for the O7.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/05/12 7:59pm

funksterr

safetypin said:

2sevens said:

I was at that show too. Man I don't even know how to sum it up. It was such a good show and I'm glad D'Angelo didnt just churn out the 'greatest hits'. It was just full on, jamming, great music.

Jesse was fantastic yes, but there were some points where I felt he was showing off a bit and unless you were a die hard guitar solo lover, you may not have enjoyed those bits. Thankfully I am, but I was with friends who didn't fully get it. I agree that the piano bit was very 'Prince' and I liked that. Man I had such a good time that night. I'm still smiling and thankful that all is well with him.

[Edited 2/5/12 13:31pm]

After last's nights show I actually respect Jesse for quitting the original 7ven. Given the choice of being part of a creative neo-soul / funk jam or sleepwalking through a 30 year old greatest hits cabaret.... It quickly becomes a no brainer. As much as I love Morris Day, he ain't been relevant since the mid 80s.... And that's the truth Ruth!

Seriously, no one else in O7 had to quit the project in order to pursue other gigs. All of the guys have a lot of other stuff going on in their careers. Jam and Lewis are working on the new BoyzIIMen album, Solange and Janet Jackson. Whatever his reason for quitting was, it wasn't so he could pursue other things. I'm glad he's doing well, but I'll never respect what he did or how he did it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/05/12 8:48pm

asg

avatar

funksterr said:

safetypin said:

2sevens said: After last's nights show I actually respect Jesse for quitting the original 7ven. Given the choice of being part of a creative neo-soul / funk jam or sleepwalking through a 30 year old greatest hits cabaret.... It quickly becomes a no brainer. As much as I love Morris Day, he ain't been relevant since the mid 80s.... And that's the truth Ruth!

Seriously, no one else in O7 had to quit the project in order to pursue other gigs. All of the guys have a lot of other stuff going on in their careers. Jam and Lewis are working on the new BoyzIIMen album, Solange and Janet Jackson. Whatever his reason for quitting was, it wasn't so he could pursue other things. I'm glad he's doing well, but I'll never respect what he did or how he did it.

The reason are simple he thought the album would do better and when it didnt do well he moved on its like hedging ur bets

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/05/12 10:39pm

dandeeland

controversy99 said:

Awesome! Glad to hear he's actually on tour. I'm still annoyed that he left the O7 tour, but it would've been a total waste if you left O7 and didn't join up with D'Angelo. At least we get him somewhere.

o7 is not doing anything so you cant blame him. Jesse wants to get paid!! Jam and Lewis dont need the money hence the no touring so go head Jesse. I would personnally rather see him tour and promotre his own music but if he cant support himself doing that join someone elses band who is bigger than him. Good Luck!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/06/12 12:34am

funksterr

asg said:

funksterr said:

Seriously, no one else in O7 had to quit the project in order to pursue other gigs. All of the guys have a lot of other stuff going on in their careers. Jam and Lewis are working on the new BoyzIIMen album, Solange and Janet Jackson. Whatever his reason for quitting was, it wasn't so he could pursue other things. I'm glad he's doing well, but I'll never respect what he did or how he did it.

The reason are simple he thought the album would do better and when it didnt do well he moved on its like hedging ur bets

Since we are guessing... I think he wanted to tour ASAP, and when he heard the other members weren't sticking to the original plan, he got really pissed off and vented his frustration in a destructive fashion. He undermined everything O7 was supposed to be about. He can't be proud of that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/06/12 1:43am

2sevens

safetypin said:

2sevens said:

I was at that show too. Man I don't even know how to sum it up. It was such a good show and I'm glad D'Angelo didnt just churn out the 'greatest hits'. It was just full on, jamming, great music.

Jesse was fantastic yes, but there were some points where I felt he was showing off a bit and unless you were a die hard guitar solo lover, you may not have enjoyed those bits. Thankfully I am, but I was with friends who didn't fully get it. I agree that the piano bit was very 'Prince' and I liked that. Man I had such a good time that night. I'm still smiling and thankful that all is well with him.

[Edited 2/5/12 13:31pm]

After last's nights show I actually respect Jesse for quitting the original 7ven. Given the choice of being part of a creative neo-soul / funk jam or sleepwalking through a 30 year old greatest hits cabaret.... It quickly becomes a no brainer. As much as I love Morris Day, he ain't been relevant since the mid 80s.... And that's the truth Ruth!

Think there was a little mix up with the quoting there, just to clarify, it wasn't me saying 'After last nights show....jesse...' I think it was safety pin.

There must be something wrong with the machinery!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/06/12 1:51am

2sevens

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but I just found out I missed an encore of an almost recognisable super funked up version of Brown Sugar. My friends were too eager to leave when the lights came on. I kept telling them not to assume lights meant the show was over. (I told them Prince does that all the time!!)

I am loving Jesse's groove (watch til the end):

Brown Sugar Brixton

I will forever kick myself for missing this bit.

There must be something wrong with the machinery!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/06/12 11:06pm

Replica

avatar

D'Angelo gave me one of the best concerts I've heard in quite a bit. But I gotta be honest about Jesse. He is madly talented, but he isn't very good at building up excitement. It's kind of like an action movie with all the highlights all the freaking time. It doesn't really feel like highlights when he doesn't use any space between here and there. He is technically on legendary level. On a musicians leven however, I don't really think he has it in him. He is probably best when he is forced to play in a more subtle way. D'angelo can really SING HIS ASS OFF. Never heard anyone sing as good live in my life. But he also can be a bit much at some times. THe gospel stuff can also be a bit much to my taste, but he had it grooving all the way. Thanks D'Angelo for an amazing time at Sentrum Scene in Oslo!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/07/12 12:40pm

2sevens

Replica said:

D'Angelo gave me one of the best concerts I've heard in quite a bit. But I gotta be honest about Jesse. He is madly talented, but he isn't very good at building up excitement. It's kind of like an action movie with all the highlights all the freaking time. It doesn't really feel like highlights when he doesn't use any space between here and there. He is technically on legendary level. On a musicians leven however, I don't really think he has it in him. He is probably best when he is forced to play in a more subtle way.

Yeah you described it better than I did! I totally agree. I enjoyed Jesse much more on the clip I posted above. Just funking along..

There must be something wrong with the machinery!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/07/12 12:45pm

Ottensen

toe said:

Not sure when he joined the tour, but saw an AMAZING show by D'angelo last night (first of 2 in London) & Jesse was there playing some fantastic guitar.

D's channelling James, Jimi, Al, & lots of Prince but still got that fantastic D'angelo treatment.

Piano section was sooo Prince.

I dont know how someone can be away for 10+ years and come back sooooo good!

[Edited 2/5/12 1:25am]

I've only seem D'angelo a couple times back in the day, but everything I've seen from his piano work reeks Gospel chords, rather than copping Prince...these folks are all inspired by similar musical references.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/07/12 3:48pm

thebanishedone

Replica said:

D'Angelo gave me one of the best concerts I've heard in quite a bit. But I gotta be honest about Jesse. He is madly talented, but he isn't very good at building up excitement. It's kind of like an action movie with all the highlights all the freaking time. It doesn't really feel like highlights when he doesn't use any space between here and there. He is technically on legendary level. On a musicians leven however, I don't really think he has it in him. He is probably best when he is forced to play in a more subtle way. D'angelo can really SING HIS ASS OFF. Never heard anyone sing as good live in my life. But he also can be a bit much at some times. THe gospel stuff can also be a bit much to my taste, but he had it grooving all the way. Thanks D'Angelo for an amazing time at Sentrum Scene in Oslo!


hmmm i also seen a clip and it sounded like Hendrix is playing with D
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/07/12 10:32pm

MadamGoodnight

Sounds like a great time. Glad everyone enjoyed it. I wish I was there.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/09/12 1:42am

2sevens

MadamGoodnight said:

Sounds like a great time. Glad everyone enjoyed it. I wish I was there.

There are lots of clips on youtube. I'm enjoying them everyday. Especially the new songs.

There must be something wrong with the machinery!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/18/12 10:18am

BobbyDrake

avatar

he could have stayed in the o7 and still worked with D'Angelo. Sounds like he's still bitter over the missed opportunities in his career. Can't blame Prince, can't blame the Time, or Jimmy and Terry. If he was more business oriented, he'd be a lot happier today.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Jesse IS with D'Angelo