independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Brown Mark remembers Opening for the Rolling Stones
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/17/09 11:18am

laurarichardso
n

Brown Mark remembers Opening for the Rolling Stones

Brown Mark talks about what it was like to open for the Rolling Stones.

I was glad he did not sugarcoat this story as so many people have tried to do in the past. Nothing cool about 90,000.00 idiots throwing food at the stage.

http://blog1.kuhl9.com/?page_id=65

The Rolling Stones Concert: my first gig with Prince

The Rolling Stones concert was my first gig with Prince. It was an unforgettable experience and very enlightening to say the least. I remember pulling up to the Coliseum in LA and walking through a small town of tents and trailers. It was a lot like a circus or fairgrounds with all the cables, tents, and generators and people everywhere working behind the scenes. Security brought us to our tent filled with flowers, mirrors, bright lights and a banquet of fruits, lunch meats and a variety of breads. You could hear the crowds roar although you couldn’t see them through the city of tents. As show time fast approached, security lined us up to direct us to the stage. It felt like a scene from the movie Gladiator as we walked towards the stage. I remember a huge set of white curtains towering across the back side of the stage and a very wide stair case taking us down to the stage. As we walked through the curtains from the back of the stage there was musical gear everywhere, technicians running back and forth; it was very chaotic. As we came around the towers of amps and speakers and entered the stage we still couldn’t see the audience because of the large curtains in front of us. We all looked at each other and Prince gave the ready signal. As the curtains opened, the drums started beating and all I can remember was the site of a massive herd of bodies all piled together like cattle; 94,000 if I can remember correctly. Everyone was hot and sweaty from the heat, screaming and dancing to the music, holding up beer cans and bottles. I couldn’t even hear the band, the crowd was so loud! On each side of the coliseum were these massive water hoses spraying every one down to keep them from dehydrating. As we finished the first song I noticed people not liking what they were hearing. This was a crowd of Stones fans, predominately bikers, and they wanted to hear Rock music. We changed up the set in an instance and started performing Bambi but the audience, not being familiar with this music, became very violent. The scene shifted quickly as the crowed began to up their middle finger, hollering out all sorts of profanities. Next thing I noticed was food starting to fly through the air like a dark thunder cloud. Imagine 94,000 people throwing food at each other; it was the craziest thing I had ever seen in my life. I got hit in the shoulder with a bag of fried chicken; then my guitar got knocked out of tune by a large grapefruit that hit the tuning keys and I knew then it was time to run! I dropped that guitar and started flying but the funny thing was, everyone else was already gone! They were smart enough to get the heck out of there not knowing what was going to happen at that point.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/17/09 11:44am

ernestsewell

Lisa did a radio show back in the summer on Luxuriamusic.com. Wendy was there too of course. She took a 30 minute segment and played this thing where she had called Bobby, and Matt Fink, and recorded their calls, as they talked about the Rolling Stones gig. It was either Brownmark or Dez, that didn't get back to her in time. Wendy was there. I didn't thinks she was, but she told me directly she was there. I think Lisa called one of the old managers back then too. It was an amazing story, as each one told their take on it. Lisa cut all the interviews together into one huge cohesive near-30 minute story. Lisa added her own take on it as well. I think Wendy did too, as she was backstage watching the whole thing go down.

I had no clue until that show that the crowd noise in "Pop Life" is the audience from that very gig, so someone said.

http://www.luxuriamusic.c...asts/15038

There's the link to the podcast of the show. I believe it's part 2 of the June 13th show, listed as "Girl Bros. Radio - Lisa Coleman". There's one marked at 12 a.m. and one marked at 1 a.m. I think it's the 1 a.m. segment that has the Rolling Stones stories from the band's mouths. It's fucking fantastic to hear the story from THEM, instead of the same articles over and over.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/17/09 11:49am

GirlBrother

avatar

ernestsewell said:

Lisa did a radio show back in the summer on Luxuriamusic.com. Wendy was there too of course. She took a 30 minute segment and played this thing where she had called Bobby, and Matt Fink, and recorded their calls, as they talked about the Rolling Stones gig. It was either Brownmark or Dez, that didn't get back to her in time.


I think that specific show is what spurred Prince into issuing "cease & desist" orders to Wendy & Lisa (or whatever it is he does).
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/17/09 11:57am

ernestsewell

GirlBrother said:

ernestsewell said:

Lisa did a radio show back in the summer on Luxuriamusic.com. Wendy was there too of course. She took a 30 minute segment and played this thing where she had called Bobby, and Matt Fink, and recorded their calls, as they talked about the Rolling Stones gig. It was either Brownmark or Dez, that didn't get back to her in time.


I think that specific show is what spurred Prince into issuing "cease & desist" orders to Wendy & Lisa (or whatever it is he does).

I'm not totally sure about that. Logic would dictate that because it's a public event, he really has no say so on the "shut up" thing. It seems to me that it was more about a series of interviews, and Q&A's w/ fans (on YouTube), that they did a few months ago. As always, there are a lot of questions about Prince, and they flat out answered them. Some were about their work on the Planet Earth album, some were about other stuff. One thing that Wendy made mention of was that "I think at this point, he's just thrown his hands up about us. Like, he can't control it anymore." Wendy and Lisa have both said, "Hey buddy, this is my life too, not just yours. I can talk about my life freely." And they're right. The big Q&A was a 2 or 3 part video on YouTube where Renata asked questions that fans emailed in. W&L were in the treehouse, and simply answered the questions at hand, as they came to them. The Rolling Stones story was witnessed by 15,000 people, including the band. And the story was about chicken legs flying, bottle rockets (literally), etc. The facts as they were witness by thousands of folks.


Cease and desist orders are worthless anyway. Even Fink was threatening to hand them out at one point. I'm surprised he didn't go after Alex Hahn more because he said that Hahn used stuff that was allegedly off the record, in his book "The Rise and Fall of Prince".
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/17/09 11:58am

Timmy84

Didn't Prince himself sample a bit of the audio where the guys threw stuff at him and the band on "Pop Life"?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/17/09 12:09pm

ernestsewell

Timmy84 said:

Didn't Prince himself sample a bit of the audio where the guys threw stuff at him and the band on "Pop Life"?

Read my first reply in the thread.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/17/09 12:22pm

Timmy84

ernestsewell said:

Timmy84 said:

Didn't Prince himself sample a bit of the audio where the guys threw stuff at him and the band on "Pop Life"?

Read my first reply in the thread.


Ah I see, thanx. nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/17/09 1:07pm

Harlepolis

I didn't know the crowd from "Pop Life" was a sample from that show eek God, I was wonder WHY he inserted that in the song this VERY day as I know about his fascination with "hidden messages".

You learn something new everyday, indeed.

And I don't think the story was sugarcoated though, the Rolling Stones fans' hatred for those guys was pretty well documented,,,,I think it be can read in details in Per Neilson's book.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/17/09 1:43pm

ernestsewell

Harlepolis said:

I didn't know the crowd from "Pop Life" was a sample from that show eek God, I was wonder WHY he inserted that in the song this VERY day as I know about his fascination with "hidden messages".

You learn something new everyday, indeed.

And I don't think the story was sugarcoated though, the Rolling Stones fans' hatred for those guys was pretty well documented,,,,I think it be can read in details in Per Neilson's book.

Go up and find the link to the podcast download. Listen to the band talk about it. It'll be like you never heard it before.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/17/09 3:54pm

theAudience

avatar

I attend one of the shows (can't remember if it was the Friday or Sunday show). It was pretty brutal.

Prince walked off at one point and promoter Bill Graham came out and gave the audience a tongue-lashing.
He came back and did another song but the crowd still wasn't having it.


Being fully aware of the public's fickle nature, i've always wondered how many of those that booed him at the L.A. Coliseum were at the Forum a few years later as "his biggest fans".



Music for adventurous listeners

tA

peace Tribal Records
"Ya see, we're not interested in what you know...but what you are willing to learn. C'mon y'all."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/17/09 3:55pm

Timmy84

theAudience said:

I attend one of the shows (can't remember if it was the Friday or Sunday show). It was pretty brutal.

Prince walked off at one point and promoter Bill Graham came out and gave the audience a tongue-lashing.
He came back and did another song but the crowd still wasn't having it.


Being fully aware of the public's fickle nature, i've always wondered how many of those that booed him at the L.A. Coliseum were at the Forum a few years later as "his biggest fans".



Music for adventurous listeners

tA

peace Tribal Records


I know, right? I bet about all of them became Prince fans by then lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/17/09 4:00pm

lastdecember

avatar

This is very similar to what happend to STYX during the "killroy was here" tour and they took it to arenas and Dennis DeYoung had them doing "dialogue" between songs like a theater show. Tommy Shaw of Styx said the crowd had been there for 10 hours it was 103degrees, Sammy Hagar opened, Ted Nugent played and Motorhead and then we come up with a "theater" show, people were smashing bottles and he thought he was going to die.

"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/17/09 6:20pm

elem55

avatar

You do know that the Rolling Stones videotape everyone of their concerts
including their opening acts. Where is that concerts videotape?
We gonna come on with the come on, gonna get down with the get down!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/17/09 6:28pm

LittleBLUECorv
ette

avatar

elem55 said:

You do know that the Rolling Stones videotape everyone of their concerts
including their opening acts. Where is that concerts videotape?

Keith probably did something to it.
PRINCE: Always and Forever
MICHAEL JACKSON: Always and Forever
-----
Live Your Life How U Wanna Live It
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/17/09 6:50pm

ernestsewell

LittleBLUECorvette said:

elem55 said:

You do know that the Rolling Stones videotape everyone of their concerts
including their opening acts. Where is that concerts videotape?

Keith probably did something to it.

Yeah, like skull fuck it, then used it to smoke a bowl.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/17/09 10:54pm

vainandy

avatar

theAudience said:

Being fully aware of the public's fickle nature, i've always wondered how many of those that booed him at the L.A. Coliseum were at the Forum a few years later as "his biggest fans".


I wonder if that's why Prince used that particular sample in "Pop Life". Sounds like something I'd do. lol
Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/17/09 11:11pm

scriptgirl

avatar

The Rolling Stones hated what guys?
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/18/09 8:40am

laurarichardso
n

ernestsewell said:

GirlBrother said:



I think that specific show is what spurred Prince into issuing "cease & desist" orders to Wendy & Lisa (or whatever it is he does).

I'm not totally sure about that. Logic would dictate that because it's a public event, he really has no say so on the "shut up" thing. It seems to me that it was more about a series of interviews, and Q&A's w/ fans (on YouTube), that they did a few months ago. As always, there are a lot of questions about Prince, and they flat out answered them. Some were about their work on the Planet Earth album, some were about other stuff. One thing that Wendy made mention of was that "I think at this point, he's just thrown his hands up about us. Like, he can't control it anymore." Wendy and Lisa have both said, "Hey buddy, this is my life too, not just yours. I can talk about my life freely." And they're right. The big Q&A was a 2 or 3 part video on YouTube where Renata asked questions that fans emailed in. W&L were in the treehouse, and simply answered the questions at hand, as they came to them. The Rolling Stones story was witnessed by 15,000 people, including the band. And the story was about chicken legs flying, bottle rockets (literally), etc. The facts as they were witness by thousands of folks.


Cease and desist orders are worthless anyway. Even Fink was threatening to hand them out at one point. I'm surprised he didn't go after Alex Hahn more because he said that Hahn used stuff that was allegedly off the record, in his book "The Rise and Fall of Prince".

-----
I thought the cease and desist letters was over the use of some unrealeashed music that was on some blog.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/18/09 9:07am

ernestsewell

laurarichardson said:

I thought the cease and desist letters was over the use of some unrealeashed music that was on some blog.

I don't believe Wendy & Lisa played any unreleased Prince music, or released any on a blog. (They played some of their unreleased stuff, but not Prince's).
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 12/18/09 9:20am

xlr8r

avatar

I've always wondered if people brought this food that they threw (fried chicken in a bag etc) to the concert lol. Or was it purchased at the venue?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 12/18/09 9:31am

ernestsewell

xlr8r said:

I've always wondered if people brought this food that they threw (fried chicken in a bag etc) to the concert lol. Or was it purchased at the venue?

It was raw, if I remember correctly, which was even more odd.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 12/18/09 4:16pm

abigail05

lastdecember said:

This is very similar to what happend to STYX during the "killroy was here" tour and they took it to arenas and Dennis DeYoung had them doing "dialogue" between songs like a theater show. Tommy Shaw of Styx said the crowd had been there for 10 hours it was 103degrees, Sammy Hagar opened, Ted Nugent played and Motorhead and then we come up with a "theater" show, people were smashing bottles and he thought he was going to die.


what incredibly bad judgement. How could he dream anyone would want to listen to a theatrical production, especially after rocking out to Sweaty Teddy?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 12/18/09 4:17pm

abigail05

ernestsewell said:

LittleBLUECorvette said:


Keith probably did something to it.

Yeah, like skull fuck it, then used it to smoke a bowl.



that was really bad
lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 12/18/09 4:57pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Wrong forum. Moving to associated artists forum
Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 12/18/09 9:54pm

langebleu

avatar

moderator

My understanding was that, whilst some people had long speculated that the 'Pop Life' sample had been taken from a recording of the crowd reaction at one of these two performances, it had been established that the 'Pop Life' intermission was a library sample. I've listened back to Lisa's collage of interviews and Wendy's follow-up comments and didn't identify anyone confirming that the sample actually came from one of the two performances.
ALT+PLS+RTN: Pure as a pane of ice. It's a gift.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 12/18/09 10:59pm

squirrelgrease

avatar

langebleu said:

My understanding was that, whilst some people had long speculated that the 'Pop Life' sample had been taken from a recording of the crowd reaction at one of these two performances, it had been established that the 'Pop Life' intermission was a library sample. I've listened back to Lisa's collage of interviews and Wendy's follow-up comments and didn't identify anyone confirming that the sample actually came from one of the two performances.


My money's on the library sample theory.
If prince.org were to be made idiot proof, someone would just invent a better idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 12/19/09 3:20pm

Harlepolis

Whats a 'library sample'?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 12/19/09 3:42pm

langebleu

avatar

moderator

Free or licensed recordings.

For example:

http://sound-effects-library.com/
ALT+PLS+RTN: Pure as a pane of ice. It's a gift.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 12/19/09 3:45pm

Harlepolis

langebleu said:

Free or licensed recordings.

For example:

http://sound-effects-library.com/


Come to think of it, it makes more sense nod

The crowd's recording from 'Pop life' sound way more tame to be from a "Rolling Stone" concert.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 12/19/09 3:46pm

langebleu

avatar

moderator

Go to: http://sound-effects-libr...search.asp

Type in: angry crowd

Select a sample
ALT+PLS+RTN: Pure as a pane of ice. It's a gift.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Brown Mark remembers Opening for the Rolling Stones