independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 13th Nov 2019 1:07am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Billboard.com: Tamar joins NPG, Prince to produce solo CD
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/16/05 3:16pm

FunkyMan

Billboard.com: Tamar joins NPG, Prince to produce solo CD

From billboard.com:

In addition to prepping his new studio album, "3121," for a spring release via a just-announced deal with Universal Music Group, Prince is lending a helping hand to an up-and-coming artist.

Sources tell Billboard.com the artist has completed co-production and co-writing on the debut CD by Tamar, although it is unknown if a label is attached to the project. Tamar will appear in the latest incarnation of Prince's live band, New Power Generation, and has additionally been tapped to open all of the dates on his 2006 world tour as a solo act.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/16/05 4:47pm

Krieger

avatar

Hmm... confused So?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/16/05 4:47pm

Jude

Sorry, I'm slipping since the days of Jill and Taja, but is this the lovely singer from the Vanguard Jam or somone else?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/16/05 4:49pm

jseven

Jude said:

Sorry, I'm slipping since the days of Jill and Taja, but is this the lovely singer from the Vanguard Jam or somone else?



Vanguard Jam bro.
Silence Speaks A Thousand Words.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/16/05 4:51pm

redflag

Since the chick from the Vanguard Jam's full name is Ashley Ta'Mar Davis, I'd say the chances are pretty good it's her.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/16/05 4:52pm

Jude

redflag said:

Since the chick from the Vanguard Jam's full name is Ashley Ta'Mar Davis, I'd say the chances are pretty good it's her.


Cool... Has she released anything previously?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/16/05 4:53pm

Krieger

avatar

I don´t know, but I know that NPG is sooo funky live. I´m just listning to Prince Live 1990, Nude Tour, Japan. Still one of my favorits!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/16/05 5:01pm

redflag

Jude said:

redflag said:

Since the chick from the Vanguard Jam's full name is Ashley Ta'Mar Davis, I'd say the chances are pretty good it's her.


Cool... Has she released anything previously?


She was in an all-female band named Angaza. Here's their website, which includes a bio and photos of Ashley as well as some music by the band:

http://www.angazamusic.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/16/05 5:07pm

Brendan

avatar

It’s really not enough to go by to evaluate her overall talent and what she can add to the band, but I thought at the NAACP Image Awards she absolutely commanded the stage and ripped the vocals, making the earlier performance of the American Idol winner, Fantasia, look like day-old bread.

NAACP edit..
[Edited 12/16/05 17:11pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/16/05 5:09pm

kookie

avatar




Ashley Ta'Mar Davis
[Edited 12/16/05 17:11pm]
When you wanna give up, don't cause ya' know, you've always got a friend-Tamar BLB
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/16/05 5:12pm

Jude

Krieger said:

I don´t know, but I know that NPG is sooo funky live. I´m just listning to Prince Live 1990, Nude Tour, Japan. Still one of my favorits!


I feel ya... and I miss Rosie!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/16/05 5:58pm

chunky

tamar?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/16/05 6:59pm

woogiebear

Yeah.....waere's Rosie Gaines???? Her vocals on "Diamonds And Pearls" are classic!!! Her vocals on Prince's version of "Nothing Compares 2 U" are the shizikke!!!!! And if you haven't heard her version of Bob Marley's "Turn Your Lights Down Low", go'on 'head & dodadamnthang!!!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/16/05 7:02pm

kookie

avatar

kookie said:




Ashley Ta'Mar Davis
[Edited 12/16/05 17:11pm]



darn,it didn't show...sad
When you wanna give up, don't cause ya' know, you've always got a friend-Tamar BLB
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/16/05 8:50pm

squirrelgrease

avatar

Bet the CD never see's the light of day.
If prince.org were to be made idiot proof, someone would just invent a better idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/16/05 9:04pm

elbibknuf

avatar

Who gives a hoot about Tamar or her CD. Lets have the info on the friggin tour dates in `06 instead!!!!!
The United States of America.......
Born July 04 1776
Died January 20 2009
May she rest in peace.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/16/05 9:52pm

redflag

elbibknuf said:

Who gives a hoot about Tamar or her CD. Lets have the info on the friggin tour dates in `06 instead!!!!!


I "give a hoot". I miss the protege projects and Prince hasn't done one in many years. If you don't care about the topic, why did you click on the thread?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/16/05 10:46pm

Jude

redflag said:

elbibknuf said:

Who gives a hoot about Tamar or her CD. Lets have the info on the friggin tour dates in `06 instead!!!!!


I "give a hoot". I miss the protege projects and Prince hasn't done one in many years. If you don't care about the topic, why did you click on the thread?


Yes, I think those who were around in the 80s would agree that the protege projects were half the fun of being a Prince fan... SO MUCH material then to collect and appreciate.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/17/05 12:41am

Brendan

avatar

Angaza – The all-female jazz/funk band.



ASHLEY TA'MAR DAVIS - VOCALS [Pictured above, seated in the center.]
2004 NAACP Nominee in the category for Best Lead Female Actress:
Ashley has been singing, acting and dancing since the age of 3 years old, in her hometown of Houston, Texas. As the former Miss Black Texas Teen (1997-98) and Miss Black (Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity). Currently She is a featured vocalist on the Lee Ritenour "Twist of Motown Tour". She has also performed with Gerald Albright and Phil Perry at 94.7- The Wave jazz concerts. As a background vocalist she has performed with pop artist Celine Dion, Yolanda Adams, Rev. Donnie McClurkin, CeCe Winans, to name a few. Ashley is also an accomplished actress and has performed in numerous plays, musicals, on television and in motion pictures.

She is rumored to be contributing to two “3121” tracks, in addition to being a part of the new band as a vocalist and show opening solo act.

CORA COLEMAN - DRUMS [Pictured above, seated behind the keyboard player.]
A native of Houston, Texas, Cora Graduated from Howard University Majored in Music Performance. She is currently working with Pink and has graced the stage with such artists as: Layla Hathaway, Frank McComb, Tom Schuman and Goapele to name a few. Cora was the 2002 winner of Guitar Center National Drum-Off, she was also the winner of 2004 International Blues Challenge.

She is confirmed to be the drummer on “Te Amo Corazon”. Perhaps she’s also Prince’s new drummer for the 2006 tour?

And the potential new bass player, who also plays on "Te Amo Corazon", Josh Dunham, might be married to Cora Coleman, as she is credited on the “Te Amo Corazon” single as, Cora Coleman Dunham.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 12/17/05 1:43am

IstenSzek

avatar

redflag said:

Since the chick from the Vanguard Jam's full name is Ashley Ta'Mar Davis, I'd say the chances are pretty good it's her.


wow, is this the "Ashley Davis" he recorded that nice tune
"On Your Own" with back when he was still known as prince ?

eek
and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 12/17/05 2:30am

GustavoRibas

avatar

Brendan said:

Angaza – The all-female jazz/funk band.


ASHLEY TA'MAR DAVIS - VOCALS [Pictured above, seated in the center.]
2004 NAACP Nominee in the category for Best Lead Female Actress:
Ashley has been singing, acting and dancing since the age of 3 years old, in her hometown of Houston, Texas. As the former Miss Black Texas Teen (1997-98) and Miss Black (Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity). Currently She is a featured vocalist on the Lee Ritenour "Twist of Motown Tour". She has also performed with Gerald Albright and Phil Perry at 94.7- The Wave jazz concerts. As a background vocalist she has performed with pop artist Celine Dion, Yolanda Adams, Rev. Donnie McClurkin, CeCe Winans, to name a few. Ashley is also an accomplished actress and has performed in numerous plays, musicals, on television and in motion pictures.

She is rumored to be contributing to two “3121” tracks, in addition to being a part of the new band as a vocalist and show opening solo act.

CORA COLEMAN - DRUMS [Pictured above, seated behind the keyboard player.]
A native of Houston, Texas, Cora Graduated from Howard University Majored in Music Performance. She is currently working with Pink and has graced the stage with such artists as: Layla Hathaway, Frank McComb, Tom Schuman and Goapele to name a few. Cora was the 2002 winner of Guitar Center National Drum-Off, she was also the winner of 2004 International Blues Challenge.

She is confirmed to be the drummer on “Te Amo Corazon”. Perhaps she’s also Prince’s new drummer for the 2006 tour?

And the potential new bass player, who also plays on "Te Amo Corazon", Josh Dunham, might be married to Cora Coleman, as she is credited on the “Te Amo Corazon” single as, Cora Coleman Dunham.


- So it probably means that Rhonda and Blackwell won´t be in the next tour sad
Peace
Gustavo Ribas
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 12/17/05 3:14am

Octavius

wow, is this the "Ashley Davis" he recorded that nice tune
"On Your Own" with back when he was still known as prince ?

eek[/quote]

That was a nice, smooth track; I really like that one.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 12/17/05 4:05am

shaomi

FunkyMan said:

From billboard.com:

a spring release


Holy shit! Haven't we waited long enough?!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 12/17/05 10:14am

MarcelJ

avatar

woogiebear said:

Yeah.....waere's Rosie Gaines???? Her vocals on "Diamonds And Pearls" are classic!!! Her vocals on Prince's version of "Nothing Compares 2 U" are the shizikke!!!!! And if you haven't heard her version of Bob Marley's "Turn Your Lights Down Low", go'on 'head & dodadamnthang!!!!!


Here she is.

http://www.rosiegaines.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 12/17/05 11:11am

jthad1129

avatar

she looks like his type. wink
---------------------------------
rainbow Funny and charming as usual
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 12/17/05 12:58pm

psychodelicide

avatar

Let's hope the rumored 2006 tour is not just that. We all know how Prince can change his mind. lol
RIP, Prince. A legend has left us, and you will be forever missed. cry

"She probably found her vagina". lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 12/17/05 2:52pm

KatSkrizzle

avatar

chunky said:

tamar?

tamar... makes me think of tamar braxton?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 12/17/05 3:25pm

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

avatar

Can this chick sing??? lol Prince has a shitty track record when it comes to hiring talented protoge....
2010: Healing the Wounds of the Past.... http://prince.org/msg/8/325740
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 12/17/05 3:53pm

DenmarkDude

SupaFunkyOrgangrinderSexy said:

Can this chick sing??? lol Prince has a shitty track record when it comes to hiring talented protoge....


yes she can but Liza on the other hand is another story
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 12/17/05 4:11pm

MickG

avatar

Yeah, you all recall how well "Kip" did right?
News: Prince pulls his head out his ass in the last moment.
Bad News: Prince wasted too much quality time doing so.
You have those internalized issues because you want to, you like to, stop.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Billboard.com: Tamar joins NPG, Prince to produce solo CD