independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > TV Series That Should Have Been Limited to One Season
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/22/20 5:31am

gandorb

TV Series That Should Have Been Limited to One Season

I recently read an article that mentioned the idea that too many shows during the streaming era would have been better limited to one season. I agreed with this. What are some examples of this in your opinion?

A few that pop in mind for me include

1. The Handmaiden's Tale - While the series is really well acted and filmed, there are only so many episodes that i need to see about how oppressive the dystopian society is and how all hope is repeatedly crushed with more trauma.

2. Killing Eve - Yes, I recently said that I enjoyed Season 2 but it did eventually wear out it's welcome. I like a series to end when there is still a fondness for the show left intact.

3. The original Twin Peaks - I haven't seem the streaming reboot, but the original show was great the first season but for me I eventually tire of a show that tries to get weirder each episode.

I can think of others, but I rather see a few of your picks.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/22/20 5:38am

maplenpg

avatar

Off the top of my head:

1) Killing Eve - agreed

2) How to get away with Murder - rapid downhill after season 1

3) Happy - was great as just one season, didn't need more

4) Thirteen Reasons Why - as 3)

To accumulate power, a government with authoritarian tendencies must first destroy power. https://www.theguardian.c...y-exchange
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/22/20 9:22am

gandorb

maplenpg said:

Off the top of my head:

1) Killing Eve - agreed

2) How to get away with Murder - rapid downhill after season 1

3) Happy - was great as just one season, didn't need more

4) Thirteen Reasons Why - as 3)

Totally agree with the How to get away with Murder. It started to become a strain to believe.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/22/20 12:26pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

Lost. Started out great but quickly became tiresome and then eventually just became stupid.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/22/20 2:08pm

kpowers

avatar

It's kinda a hard to think of a show that should be limited to only one seasn, but I can think of shows that went on way too long.

Lost. I agree with Emma, but I think maybe three seasons would have been good enough.

Smallville - I think 5 seasons would have been enough to tell the story of Clark Kent before he became Superman.

X-Files - Should have gone off the air once Mulder left. Even worse they continued the series when Scully left.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/22/20 2:24pm

gandorb

kpowers said:

It's kinda a hard to think of a show that should be limited to only one seasn, but I can think of shows that went on way too long.

Lost. I agree with Emma, but I think maybe three seasons would have been good enough.

Smallville - I think 5 seasons would have been enough to tell the story of Clark Kent before he became Superman.

X-Files - Should have gone off the air once Mulder left. Even worse they continued the series when Scully left.

I do think it is harder with the nework series to find ones that have just been for one season but some of the streaming series start so extreme to hook viewers that they have a hard time sustaining their quality over time.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/22/20 2:29pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

kpowers said:

It's kinda a hard to think of a show that should be limited to only one seasn, but I can think of shows that went on way too long.


Lost. I agree with Emma, but I think maybe three seasons would have been good enough.


Smallville - I think 5 seasons would have been enough to tell the story of Clark Kent before he became Superman.


X-Files - Should have gone off the air once Mulder left. Even worse they continued the series when Scully left.






A 5 season run (12 episodes per season) of Smallville would have been perfect. Then a 5 season Metropolis show of Tom Welling's Superman would be a perfect "sequel show". Maybe even do a Justice League show too using the actors from Smallville. Would have been better than the Arrowverse stuff anyway.

I've been meaning to watch X-Files for years. I've only seen a handful of episodes but I never really got fully into it.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/23/20 10:47am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

kpowers said:

Smallville - I think 5 seasons would have been enough to tell the story of Clark Kent before he became Superman.


We stuck with Smallville until the end. Many people I knew left after 4 or 5 seasons. And most fans considered it an alternate timeline to the regular Superman lore. Ten years did seem excessive, but I'm not sure one season would've really been able to explore things like Flash, Aquaman, etc.

The show is tainted to me now because of Allison Mack's involvement with the NXIVM sex cult, which was right here in my city! We were all shocked when that story hit the news. Like, "Allison? Here?! SEX CULT? RIGHT DOWN THE ROAD???"

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/23/20 10:55am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Not sure I agree with The Handmaids Tale here. There are lots of stories to be told there. Atwood eventually wrote the sequel last year, The Testiments, which was amazing. I do hope that when the show ends, it ends like the book or has some of what we see in The Testiments. Gilead does eventually end with a new version of North America. I think that should be in the last episode or two, then a flash back to Offred just before she sets out on her final quest to buck the system which would eventually lead to the new version of North America. -- The next season isn't out until a year from now. I'm so pissed! Fucking Covid.

I agree with some of the 5-year sentiment for shows here. Breaking Bad was a perfect example of that. That show is so layered, and dimensional and perfect, it could take years to really absorb the full circle moments, the call backs from one season to another, the symmetry, the visual easter eggs (like the purple around Betsy), etc. Even Babylon 5 creators had a 5-year story laid out when they pitched the show. No other reunions or anything. The show stands on its own as is.

As far as one-season takes, shows like American Horror Story, Haunting of Hill House, and Castle Rock are great examples of approaching shows as an anthology rather than a longer series. I think it makes writers hone in on the story and keep the fat cut.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/23/20 12:20pm

kpowers

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

kpowers said:

It's kinda a hard to think of a show that should be limited to only one seasn, but I can think of shows that went on way too long.

Lost. I agree with Emma, but I think maybe three seasons would have been good enough.

Smallville - I think 5 seasons would have been enough to tell the story of Clark Kent before he became Superman.

X-Files - Should have gone off the air once Mulder left. Even worse they continued the series when Scully left.

A 5 season run (12 episodes per season) of Smallville would have been perfect. Then a 5 season Metropolis show of Tom Welling's Superman would be a perfect "sequel show". Maybe even do a Justice League show too using the actors from Smallville. Would have been better than the Arrowverse stuff anyway. I've been meaning to watch X-Files for years. I've only seen a handful of episodes but I never really got fully into it.

First of all I'm old school, TV seasons should be 20-24 episodes long. With that said yup Smallville 5 years and Metropolis 5 years as well. I would recast the actress who played Lois Lane in the Smallville series, didn't really care for her. For the X-Files, like any tv show you will have your stand out episodes, good episodes, ok episodes and bad episodes. Most of the bad episodes IMO is because creator Chris Carter really wanted to put humour into the X-Files, which he failed IMO (hey some fans love those episodes, not me). If you do watch it I suggest watching it in order (not here and there) and watch up to season 7 and don't watch season 8 and especially season 9 (David Duchovny "Mulder" left after season 7 and Gillian Anderson "Scully" left after seaon 8) Both Duchonvy and Anderson did come back for the series finale of season 9, but the episode was a big disappointment so I would skip that as well. Season 9 was Doggit and Reyes barf Season 10 and 11 aired 14 years later, both seasons are 6 episodes each, they were ok. The Charm of the show was the chemistry of Mulder and Scully. Scully reminded of Jodie Foster's character from Silience of the lambs. One complaint I do have is that I wish Mulder and Scully never hooked up, but fans really pushed for it rolleyes

9467918-3x2-940x627.jpg



[Edited 8/23/20 12:29pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/23/20 2:50pm

lool

Saturday Night Live
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/23/20 3:09pm

kpowers

avatar

lool said:

Saturday Night Live

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shouldn't ended in the 90's

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/23/20 6:20pm

gandorb

TrivialPursuit said:

Not sure I agree with The Handmaids Tale here. There are lots of stories to be told there. Atwood eventually wrote the sequel last year, The Testiments, which was amazing. I do hope that when the show ends, it ends like the book or has some of what we see in The Testiments. Gilead does eventually end with a new version of North America. I think that should be in the last episode or two, then a flash back to Offred just before she sets out on her final quest to buck the system which would eventually lead to the new version of North America. -- The next season isn't out until a year from now. I'm so pissed! Fucking Covid.

I agree with some of the 5-year sentiment for shows here. Breaking Bad was a perfect example of that. That show is so layered, and dimensional and perfect, it could take years to really absorb the full circle moments, the call backs from one season to another, the symmetry, the visual easter eggs (like the purple around Betsy), etc. Even Babylon 5 creators had a 5-year story laid out when they pitched the show. No other reunions or anything. The show stands on its own as is.

As far as one-season takes, shows like American Horror Story, Haunting of Hill House, and Castle Rock are great examples of approaching shows as an anthology rather than a longer series. I think it makes writers hone in on the story and keep the fat cut.

Well, you do make it sound like there could be interesting in the future of The Handmaid's Tale. Maybe I will cheat and skip all the suffering of Season 2 and 3.

One series that I thought might go downhill fast that I first heard about it here from you is Ozark. Instead, I thought season 3 was great. I wonder if they have a 5 season arc planned too.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/24/20 1:15pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

gandorb said:

Well, you do make it sound like there could be interesting in the future of The Handmaid's Tale. Maybe I will cheat and skip all the suffering of Season 2 and 3.

One series that I thought might go downhill fast that I first heard about it here from you is Ozark. Instead, I thought season 3 was great. I wonder if they have a 5 season arc planned too.


Atwood is a consultant on subsequent seasons of THT, since season 1 is basically the book. So I like that she's sorta "writing" and pushing the story lines in Season 2 and beyond. But the bits with the cassette tapes, etc. are all in the novel as well. I forget if that's in season 1 or 2 of the show.

It becomes more involved in the book where a lot of the post-Gilead research by universities is based on these cassette tapes. One assumes the narrator has been Offred the whole time, but no names are ever noted, and Offred's whereabouts are never known. But we do learn of Aunt Lydia & other's ends in The Testaments.) Gilead was so shut off from the world, that much of what uni's know about it and can study from are these cassette tapes. It's touched on so lightly in the show, I was sorta let down. BUT if the show ever comes to an end, and it will eventually, I hope they harken back to those tapes and how they impact stuff.

Speaking of Ozark, we watched 2 episodes this season and haven't touched it since. It felt dark and dreary, and that one girl does nothing but just cuss. That's not dialog to me. I don't mind cussing of course, goddamnit, but if all she says is a curse word with no other normal words on either side, what is it that we're getting from the show?

I'm not sure it can go five season, but it seems like it could. They can't stretch this shit too long. Reminds me of how The Good Place finally wrapped it up knowing they couldn't keep these people in virtual hell or purgatory forever. They had to eventually land somewhere in their afterlife. They went out on a high. Ozark is a good premise, but at some point, it's going to become very predictable. I hope they bow out before that.

PS We'll try to get back to season 3, actually. It's never not in my head. But ...eh. I've spent time on Vida, Ramy, Gigolos, marathoning The Chi, getting into P-Valley, and reading two books at a time, plus quilting, writing another book. I'm surprised I get TV time at all. haha

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/24/20 2:51pm

gandorb

TrivialPursuit said:

gandorb said:

Well, you do make it sound like there could be interesting in the future of The Handmaid's Tale. Maybe I will cheat and skip all the suffering of Season 2 and 3.

One series that I thought might go downhill fast that I first heard about it here from you is Ozark. Instead, I thought season 3 was great. I wonder if they have a 5 season arc planned too.


Atwood is a consultant on subsequent seasons of THT, since season 1 is basically the book. So I like that she's sorta "writing" and pushing the story lines in Season 2 and beyond. But the bits with the cassette tapes, etc. are all in the novel as well. I forget if that's in season 1 or 2 of the show.

It becomes more involved in the book where a lot of the post-Gilead research by universities is based on these cassette tapes. One assumes the narrator has been Offred the whole time, but no names are ever noted, and Offred's whereabouts are never known. But we do learn of Aunt Lydia & other's ends in The Testaments.) Gilead was so shut off from the world, that much of what uni's know about it and can study from are these cassette tapes. It's touched on so lightly in the show, I was sorta let down. BUT if the show ever comes to an end, and it will eventually, I hope they harken back to those tapes and how they impact stuff.

Speaking of Ozark, we watched 2 episodes this season and haven't touched it since. It felt dark and dreary, and that one girl does nothing but just cuss. That's not dialog to me. I don't mind cussing of course, goddamnit, but if all she says is a curse word with no other normal words on either side, what is it that we're getting from the show?

I'm not sure it can go five season, but it seems like it could. They can't stretch this shit too long. Reminds me of how The Good Place finally wrapped it up knowing they couldn't keep these people in virtual hell or purgatory forever. They had to eventually land somewhere in their afterlife. They went out on a high. Ozark is a good premise, but at some point, it's going to become very predictable. I hope they bow out before that.

PS We'll try to get back to season 3, actually. It's never not in my head. But ...eh. I've spent time on Vida, Ramy, Gigolos, marathoning The Chi, getting into P-Valley, and reading two books at a time, plus quilting, writing another book. I'm surprised I get TV time at all. haha

How dare you prioritize your life instead of watching Season 3 of Ozark. That's just plain selfish lol. Seriously, Season 3 does stay dark but not stagnant at all as it unwinds.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 08/24/20 5:04pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

gandorb said:

How dare you prioritize your life instead of watching Season 3 of Ozark. That's just plain selfish lol. Seriously, Season 3 does stay dark but not stagnant at all as it unwinds.


That's actually encouraging to hear. I suppose maybe when it cools down and we're inside even more than during a goddamn pandemic, we'll get back to it. I feel unfinished because I haven't watched anything past S03E02.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 08/24/20 7:20pm

funkycat00

avatar

EMPIRE
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 08/24/20 8:15pm

kewlschool

avatar

kpowers said:

lool said:

Saturday Night Live

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shouldn't ended in the 90's

Their mock videos/commercials/trailers and political skits are awesome still today. (everything else-could go.)

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 08/24/20 8:16pm

kewlschool

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

gandorb said:

How dare you prioritize your life instead of watching Season 3 of Ozark. That's just plain selfish lol. Seriously, Season 3 does stay dark but not stagnant at all as it unwinds.


That's actually encouraging to hear. I suppose maybe when it cools down and we're inside even more than during a goddamn pandemic, we'll get back to it. I feel unfinished because I haven't watched anything past S03E02.

Ozark only has 1 season left.

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 08/24/20 8:25pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

Alone Together :

Me and my GF binge the show.
My GF ask "Did you like it?"
Me "Yeah it's funny, cool"
We continued to watch season 2. When the season was over I thought it wasn't that good or funny.

Now as I did some quick research to make sure I got the show title correctly, The show was canceled after season 2 lol
Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 08/25/20 11:27am

TraSoul82

Prison Break.

The writers had no idea what to do with the show after the breakout.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 08/25/20 1:30pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

TraSoul82 said:

Prison Break. The writers had no idea what to do with the show after the breakout.


I think the show was good while it lasted, but even the writers noted they had to just end it. (Sorta the same with The Good Place). It maybe could've been a year shorter, cutting some of the fat, and incorporating the elements of the movie with the last season.


"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 08/25/20 7:24pm

Hudson

avatar

Downton Abbey
Homeland
Masters of Sex
13 Reasons Why
True Detective
The Returned
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 08/25/20 9:37pm

gandorb

Hudson said:

Downton Abbey Homeland Masters of Sex 13 Reasons Why True Detective The Returned

Interesting group. I never really watch Downton Abbey but it seemed like it maintained a large group of loyal fans throughout it's run. Masters of Sex and Homeland were at their best in their first year, though I enjoyed them enough in later years to warrant watching. I agree with True Detective.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 08/25/20 11:58pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Hudson said:

Downton Abbey Homeland Masters of Sex 13 Reasons Why True Detective The Returned


But True Detective is an anthology, is it not? So each season is unto itself anyway. You could techincally only watch one season, any season, and be fine.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 08/26/20 1:13am

JorisE73

kpowers said:

EmmaMcG said:

kpowers said: A 5 season run (12 episodes per season) of Smallville would have been perfect. Then a 5 season Metropolis show of Tom Welling's Superman would be a perfect "sequel show". Maybe even do a Justice League show too using the actors from Smallville. Would have been better than the Arrowverse stuff anyway. I've been meaning to watch X-Files for years. I've only seen a handful of episodes but I never really got fully into it.

First of all I'm old school, TV seasons should be 20-24 episodes long. With that said yup Smallville 5 years and Metropolis 5 years as well. I would recast the actress who played Lois Lane in the Smallville series, didn't really care for her. For the X-Files, like any tv show you will have your stand out episodes, good episodes, ok episodes and bad episodes. Most of the bad episodes IMO is because creator Chris Carter really wanted to put humour into the X-Files, which he failed IMO (hey some fans love those episodes, not me). If you do watch it I suggest watching it in order (not here and there) and watch up to season 7 and don't watch season 8 and especially season 9 (David Duchovny "Mulder" left after season 7 and Gillian Anderson "Scully" left after seaon 8) Both Duchonvy and Anderson did come back for the series finale of season 9, but the episode was a big disappointment so I would skip that as well. Season 9 was Doggit and Reyes barf Season 10 and 11 aired 14 years later, both seasons are 6 episodes each, they were ok. The Charm of the show was the chemistry of Mulder and Scully. Scully reminded of Jodie Foster's character from Silience of the lambs. One complaint I do have is that I wish Mulder and Scully never hooked up, but fans really pushed for it rolleyes

9467918-3x2-940x627.jpg



[Edited 8/23/20 12:29pm]


That looks like a proper 90's hiphop album cover lol
I think the show went on for to long, they should have ended it after the first movie.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 08/26/20 10:14am

kpowers

avatar

JorisE73 said:

kpowers said:

First of all I'm old school, TV seasons should be 20-24 episodes long. With that said yup Smallville 5 years and Metropolis 5 years as well. I would recast the actress who played Lois Lane in the Smallville series, didn't really care for her. For the X-Files, like any tv show you will have your stand out episodes, good episodes, ok episodes and bad episodes. Most of the bad episodes IMO is because creator Chris Carter really wanted to put humour into the X-Files, which he failed IMO (hey some fans love those episodes, not me). If you do watch it I suggest watching it in order (not here and there) and watch up to season 7 and don't watch season 8 and especially season 9 (David Duchovny "Mulder" left after season 7 and Gillian Anderson "Scully" left after seaon 8) Both Duchonvy and Anderson did come back for the series finale of season 9, but the episode was a big disappointment so I would skip that as well. Season 9 was Doggit and Reyes barf Season 10 and 11 aired 14 years later, both seasons are 6 episodes each, they were ok. The Charm of the show was the chemistry of Mulder and Scully. Scully reminded of Jodie Foster's character from Silience of the lambs. One complaint I do have is that I wish Mulder and Scully never hooked up, but fans really pushed for it rolleyes

9467918-3x2-940x627.jpg



[Edited 8/23/20 12:29pm]


That looks like a proper 90's hiphop album cover lol
I think the show went on for to long, they should have ended it after the first movie.

Hey they are the cooliest FBI agents ever. The 2nd movie was horrible, there was nothing paranormal about it. Was more CSI than X-Files disbelief

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 08/26/20 9:41pm

sexton

avatar

Hudson said:

Downton Abbey
Homeland
Masters of Sex
13 Reasons Why
True Detective
The Returned


The first season of Downton Abbey may have been the best, but I don't know of any fan that really wishes it stopped there and that subsequent seasons and the movie never aired. Strong disagree with that one.

The Returned was only two seasons and completed the story. I don't see much of a disparity in quality between the two seasons. Strong disagree there too.

Masters of Sex jumped the shark for me when their kids joined the cast. I believe that was season three so the second season I still consider to be stellar.

I thought seasons two and three of True Detective were still good, they just had the unfortunate task of following the near perfect first season.

I haven't seen the other shows on your list.

The only TV series I watched for more than one season that I felt would have been better off ending early was Heroes (2006-2015). Season two was okay, but I could have lived without that. And then everything after was godawful.


[Edited 8/27/20 7:38am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 08/27/20 12:51am

JorisE73

kpowers said:

JorisE73 said:


That looks like a proper 90's hiphop album cover lol
I think the show went on for to long, they should have ended it after the first movie.

Hey they are the cooliest FBI agents ever. The 2nd movie was horrible, there was nothing paranormal about it. Was more CSI than X-Files disbelief


A little bit tho with that priest, but indeed it was so underwhelming.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 08/27/20 7:19am

kitbradley

avatar

The Masked Singer

Dancing With the Stars

The Bachelor

Lego Masters

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > TV Series That Should Have Been Limited to One Season