independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 10th Apr 2020 11:27am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Ben Affleck is the new Batman
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 08/27/13 6:18am

Graycap23

PurpleJedi said:

Report: Bryan Cranston Cast as Lex Luthor in 'Man of Steel'

'Breaking Bad' star has reportedly signed a multi-film deal


After five seasons of playing Walter White, the chemist-turned-meth-kingpin on AMC's Breaking Bad, Bryan Cranston has racked up plenty of evil-doer experience. And according to report from Cosmic Book News, he'll boost his villian credentials even further by playing Superman nemesis Lex Luthor in the upcoming sequel for Man of Steel.


Better Batmen Than Ben Affleck: See Who's a Better Fit for the Role

Cranston has reportedly signed a deal that includes at least six appearances (and possibly more), meaning that his character will appear in a variety of films set within the inter-connected DC Comics universe.


"Cranston is truly a dream casting for Luthor," a source told Cosmic Book News.

This news follows last week's controversial announcement that Ben Affleck has signed on...lay Batman in the same film. The actor reportedly inked a deal that includes 13 total appearances.

I liked the guy that played Lex in Smallville.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 08/27/13 6:48am

Milty

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

I thought Ben Affleck is now removed from the role

You're reading too many celebrity gossip websites. He's not going anywhere.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 08/27/13 8:03am

vikfunk

avatar

He could dethrone George Clooney as the best Batman ever.

Is everybody wet?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 08/27/13 8:10am

G3000

I totally forgot about this breaking news! eek

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 08/27/13 9:04am

namepeace

Graycap23 said:

I liked the guy that played Lex in Smallville.

I never watched Smallville, and don't watch Breaking Bad. But from the snippets I've seen of BB I can't think of a better choice, other than perhaps Daniel Day-Lewis, who'd never do it.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 08/27/13 10:10am

Graycap23

namepeace said:

Graycap23 said:

I liked the guy that played Lex in Smallville.

I never watched Smallville, and don't watch Breaking Bad. But from the snippets I've seen of BB I can't think of a better choice, other than perhaps Daniel Day-Lewis, who'd never do it.

The guy from Smallville was extremely good at it.

[img:$uid]http://i238.pho.../img:$uid]

Still of Michael Rosenbaum in Smallville
Still of Michael Rosenbaum in Smallville

[Edited 8/27/13 12:24pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 08/27/13 12:02pm

sexton

avatar

PurpleJedi said:

I was watching that movie with the little girl that he did with J-Lo (can't remember the name and won't waste time googling it)...

The whole cast was awesome, and the story was decent, but Ben was so wooden and unbelievable as a "grieving widower" who used to be a fancy Manhattan go-getter.

neutral Sorry. Not believable. He was the same character that he always plays. Just with a cute little girl at his side.

I also saw most of "Paycheck" on cable the other day.

Interesting (yet ludicrous) premise aside; he did NOT fit the "action hero" role. No way was it believable that his dork ass could beat up all those trained goons after him. Nope.

I just don't see Affleck kicking ass. Sorry. Granted, NO ONE could picture Michael Keaton kicking ass before 1989 either...but he was so good in the role (and the movie had enough camp built into it) that it worked marvelously.

hmph! Me no like.


The general consensus regarding Ben Affleck's acting is that he's gotten a lot better of late. Watch The Company Men, The Town and Argo and then post what you think. The movies you saw are relatively ancient. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 08/27/13 12:29pm

PurpleJedi

avatar

sexton said:

PurpleJedi said:

I was watching that movie with the little girl that he did with J-Lo (can't remember the name and won't waste time googling it)...

The whole cast was awesome, and the story was decent, but Ben was so wooden and unbelievable as a "grieving widower" who used to be a fancy Manhattan go-getter.

neutral Sorry. Not believable. He was the same character that he always plays. Just with a cute little girl at his side.

I also saw most of "Paycheck" on cable the other day.

Interesting (yet ludicrous) premise aside; he did NOT fit the "action hero" role. No way was it believable that his dork ass could beat up all those trained goons after him. Nope.

I just don't see Affleck kicking ass. Sorry. Granted, NO ONE could picture Michael Keaton kicking ass before 1989 either...but he was so good in the role (and the movie had enough camp built into it) that it worked marvelously.

hmph! Me no like.


The general consensus regarding Ben Affleck's acting is that he's gotten a lot better of late. Watch The Company Men, The Town and Argo and then post what you think. The movies you saw are relatively ancient. lol


I'm probably going to Netflix "Argo" simply because of all the hoopla over it, not because I necessarily WANT to see it.

I'll keep you posted.

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 08/27/13 12:38pm

namepeace

PurpleJedi said:

I'm probably going to Netflix "Argo" simply because of all the hoopla over it, not because I necessarily WANT to see it.

I'll keep you posted.

It's a thriller.

He was actually pretty good in Changing Lanes too.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 08/27/13 2:58pm

AlexdeParis

avatar

namepeace said:

Graycap23 said:

I liked the guy that played Lex in Smallville.

I never watched Smallville, and don't watch Breaking Bad. But from the snippets I've seen of BB I can't think of a better choice, other than perhaps Daniel Day-Lewis, who'd never do it.

Smallville is far and away my favorite version of Superman. Breaking Bad is a great show. It's not the end-all-be-all people make it out to be, but it's definitely worth watching.

"Whitney was purely and simply one of a kind." ~ Clive Davis
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 08/27/13 5:55pm

namepeace

AlexdeParis said:

namepeace said:

I never watched Smallville, and don't watch Breaking Bad. But from the snippets I've seen of BB I can't think of a better choice, other than perhaps Daniel Day-Lewis, who'd never do it.

Smallville is far and away my favorite version of Superman. Breaking Bad is a great show. It's not the end-all-be-all people make it out to be, but it's definitely worth watching.


I will see if I can stream it. It seemed like a really good way to handle the story, and they say Man of Steel gives a nod or two to the show in terms of its Clark backstory.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 08/27/13 6:31pm

AlexdeParis

avatar

namepeace said:

AlexdeParis said:

Smallville is far and away my favorite version of Superman. Breaking Bad is a great show. It's not the end-all-be-all people make it out to be, but it's definitely worth watching.


I will see if I can stream it. It seemed like a really good way to handle the story, and they say Man of Steel gives a nod or two to the show in terms of its Clark backstory.


Smallville definitely has the teen-angst stuff that may turn people off. I've always been bored by Superman in general — really, your main weakness is exposure to irradiated pieces of your home planet? — but I like that in Smallville Clark's inexperience and youth are his real weaknesses. That makes him way more interesting and allows me to look past some of the cheese factor.

"Whitney was purely and simply one of a kind." ~ Clive Davis
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 08/27/13 7:32pm

Uhope

avatar

PurpleJedi said:



sexton said:




PurpleJedi said:


I was watching that movie with the little girl that he did with J-Lo (can't remember the name and won't waste time googling it)...



The whole cast was awesome, and the story was decent, but Ben was so wooden and unbelievable as a "grieving widower" who used to be a fancy Manhattan go-getter.

neutral Sorry. Not believable. He was the same character that he always plays. Just with a cute little girl at his side.

I also saw most of "Paycheck" on cable the other day.

Interesting (yet ludicrous) premise aside; he did NOT fit the "action hero" role. No way was it believable that his dork ass could beat up all those trained goons after him. Nope.

I just don't see Affleck kicking ass. Sorry. Granted, NO ONE could picture Michael Keaton kicking ass before 1989 either...but he was so good in the role (and the movie had enough camp built into it) that it worked marvelously.

hmph! Me no like.




The general consensus regarding Ben Affleck's acting is that he's gotten a lot better of late. Watch The Company Men, The Town and Argo and then post what you think. The movies you saw are relatively ancient. lol




I'm probably going to Netflix "Argo" simply because of all the hoopla over it, not because I necessarily WANT to see it.

I'll keep you posted.




Tell you what, Argo was really good and Affleck was good...as the director. Alan Arkin was the standout actor, imo.

Affleck is always so "meh" in everything I've seen him in. His brother Casey is more memorable. I
He seems to be a decent guy, keeps his personal life to himself (aside from the J-Lo fiasco which I don't think was his fault) and is a talented director. I don't see him with the spark, charisma to play an action hero. Too bland.

His buddy Matt Damon would play a better action guy (Bourne, anyone?)

Plus, Batman should have good lips. Affleck has no lips. Just a big, blank jawline.
razz
[Edited 8/27/13 19:33pm]
Go to the source: http://www.jw.org/en

Thanks! biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 08/27/13 8:46pm

ManlyMoose

Well if the director of Man of Steel is making the film then the franchise is indeed screwed.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 08/28/13 2:34am

Chancellor

avatar

sexton said:


The general consensus regarding Ben Affleck's acting is that he's gotten a lot better of late. Watch The Company Men, The Town and Argo and then post what you think. The movies you saw are relatively ancient. lol

The Town was good and I wish I had seen it @ the Theatre. Ben did a great job directing/writing/& acting. I saw Argo on PPV just because I wanted to see if it lived up to the GRAND & MASTERFUL oscar campaign Ben put on...And it did not...I thought it was gonna be better than Django and it wasnt. Django should have won Best Film this year NOT Argo. There were no surprises in Argo and we knew the ending before it happened....If anyone watches Django & Argo you will easily pick Django as the better picture of 2011 over Argo...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 08/28/13 4:49am

missfee

avatar

80,000 Fans Petition Against Affleck as Batman

by John Butler | August 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM | General

(AP Photo/Matt Sayles)

Die-hard Batman fans have made it quite clear that Ben Affleck isn’t their first choice to play the iconic superhero. In fact, over 80,000 fans have signed a petition at Change.org, demanding that the Academy Award winner be ousted from the “Man of Steel” sequel set to feature the Dark Knight.

Agitated fans have created a long list of reasons why Affleck won’t cut it as the comic book star. The originator of the petition, John Roden, claims, “He’s not intimidating enough for the role of Batman.” Another petition signer says, “He can’t carry a movie on his own and is certainly no superhero.”

The plea to remove Affleck also points to his lackluster portrayal of the superhero Daredevil in 2003.

John Roden clarified that the petition is not mean to be malicious. He writes, “I would like to add that this petition was not meant in any way to harm Ben Affleck or his career. I respect Affleck’s work, I just feel he is inappropriate for the role.”

Other fans have gone to similar lengths to have the 41-year-old actor booted from the Warner Brothers film. A petition was started on We the People, the White House’s official petition website. The site has since pulled the petition for violating terms and conditions.

Afflek hasn’t responded to angered fans, but fellow celebrities have come to the defense of the superhero to be. Ex-Batman stars Adam West and Val Kilmer shared shared their sentiments and words of encouragement via Twitter.

Longtime friend Matt Damon told the Times of India, “If anybody saw “Argo or “The Town, and all the work he’s been doing lately, it’s way more nuanced and interesting and way more difficult than Batman,” He continues, “Batman just sits there with his cowl over his head and whispers in a kinda gruff voice at people. Bruce Wayne is the more challenging part of the role, and Ben will be great at that.”

The anticipated film is expected to be released in 2015. There is no word yet as to whether the intense social media backlash or the burgeoning petition to recast the role has led Warner Brothers to second guess its decision.

hah!

I will forever love and miss you...my sweet Prince.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 08/28/13 6:08am

PurpleJedi

avatar

^^^ falloff

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 08/28/13 6:19am

tinaz

avatar

drooling[img:$uid]http://theorange.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ben-affleck-new-batman.jpg[/img:$uid]
~~~~~ Oh that voice...incredible....there should be a musical instrument called George Michael... ~~~~~
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 08/28/13 8:51am

Milty

avatar

Chancellor said:

sexton said:

The Town was good and I wish I had seen it @ the Theatre. Ben did a great job directing/writing/& acting. I saw Argo on PPV just because I wanted to see if it lived up to the GRAND & MASTERFUL oscar campaign Ben put on...And it did not...I thought it was gonna be better than Django and it wasnt. Django should have won Best Film this year NOT Argo. There were no surprises in Argo and we knew the ending before it happened....If anyone watches Django & Argo you will easily pick Django as the better picture of 2011 over Argo...

i disagree. Django was cool until the last third of the film. I know Tarantino loves paying homage to older filmmakers and films but the second he showed up, the film got dumbed down. Argo was good too but I don't think either compared to Zero Dark Thirty. But then again...I didn't see many of the other films on the Best Picture list.

Shucks....the Dark Knight Rises was better than Django.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 08/28/13 8:57am

TheBatman

avatar

I don't understand all the fuss. I have NO issues with Ben Affleck portraying me in the Man of Steel sequel. He is an incredible actor! Has been since "Chasing Amy." He defenitely has the chops to pull this off. End of story!

Tell me, do you bleed? You will!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 08/28/13 9:42am

McJagger

Batman with a beard. Could be interesting.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 08/28/13 9:50am

McJagger

Forget the actor playing Batman. I'd be happy with a batsuit where the actor can actually move his neck from side to side and up and down!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 08/28/13 9:51am

McJagger

Forget the actor playing Batman. I'd be happy with a batsuit where the actor can actually move his neck from side to side and up and down!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 08/28/13 10:10am

Tokyo89

avatar

typing

missfee said:

80,000 80,001 Fans Petition Against Affleck as Batman



She Don't Speak..But She Remembers
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 08/28/13 11:16am

thekidsgirl

avatar

I don't get everyone's problem with Affleck being Batman? He's a pretty good actor, and he made a good Daredevil :-l

If you will, so will I
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 08/28/13 11:28am

Giovanni777

avatar

I don't understand the uproar, and I'm certainly not a Ben Affleck fan.

Christian Bale sucked, and those movies were decent.

I was a comic nut back when I was a kid, although more on the Marvel side... Daredevil was my fav comic, and it wasn't Ben Affleck that ruined that movie. It was a combination of the direction after the first 20-30 minutes plus Jennifer Garner's horrendous acting... Funny thing is that I'm a huge Alias fan... one of J.J. Abrams best, but it wasn't because of Jennifer Garner. It was because of superior writing, directing, producing, and a HELL of a supporting cast.

Back to Affleck, he did an amazing job playing George Reeves in 'Hollywoodland'.

~G

[Edited 8/28/13 11:29am]

"He's a musician's musician..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 08/28/13 12:06pm

PurpleJedi

avatar

thekidsgirl said:

I don't get everyone's problem with Affleck being Batman? He's a pretty good actor, and he made a good Daredevil :-l


We'll discuss it over Health Tonics.

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 08/28/13 12:07pm

PurpleJedi

avatar

Giovanni777 said:

I don't understand the uproar, and I'm certainly not a Ben Affleck fan.

Christian Bale sucked, and those movies were decent.


omfg

Say what now???!!!

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 08/28/13 2:32pm

McJagger

ufoclub said:

The voice of Batman has always been ridiculous, especially in the last two Batman movies, but can you imagine Ben Affleck trying that style of voice?

Batman has to change his voice so that he's not recognized as Bruce Wayne. It's pretty hard to do in a movie and not come off sounding ridiculous I admit, but that's the reasoning for it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 08/28/13 7:01pm

AlexdeParis

avatar

PurpleJedi said:

Giovanni777 said:

I don't understand the uproar, and I'm certainly not a Ben Affleck fan.

Christian Bale sucked, and those movies were decent.


omfg

Say what now???!!!

shrug I also hated Bale. Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a frivolous playboy ladies' man as a cover for Batman. Bale isn't a good enough actor to hide all his craziness. It's no wonder Robin knew he was Batman; it's written all over his (pained-looking) face.

"Whitney was purely and simply one of a kind." ~ Clive Davis
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Ben Affleck is the new Batman