independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 7th Dec 2019 9:04am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > hit movies that haven't aged well
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/26/13 5:06am

MoBetterBliss

hit movies that haven't aged well

bought a great new tv recently... thought i'd revisit the lord of the rings trilogy on bluray... wow... some of it is SO bad... dreadful acting etc

i always thought the last one was pretty bad, but to me it seems none of them have held up well

i now struggle to sit through scarface due to the music score (let alone the cheese factor of the movie)... horrible dated 80s synth stuff... hate it

how bout you?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/26/13 5:41am

XxAxX

avatar

pretty in pink. watched it this weekend for the first time in ages and ended up wanting to slap molly's character for what she did to those prom dresses. i mean seriously ugly mess. and she butchered two perfectly lovely frocks to make it. jon cryer was, of course, stunning, but oh my dear lord that dress

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/26/13 6:18am

JoeTyler

some aged bad quicky

007 Thunderball

American Graffiti

Star Wars (I mean the original '77 special effects)

Saturday Night Fever

007 Moonraker

Top Gun

Independence Day

tinkerbell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/26/13 6:40am

Cuddles

avatar

Honey I Shrunk the Kids

To make a thief, make an owner; to create crime, create laws.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/26/13 6:58am

JustErin

avatar

XxAxX said:

pretty in pink. watched it this weekend for the first time in ages and ended up wanting to slap molly's character for what she did to those prom dresses. i mean seriously ugly mess. and she butchered two perfectly lovely frocks to make it. jon cryer was, of course, stunning, but oh my dear lord that dress

Ha!

I kinda like it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/26/13 6:58am

Genesia

avatar

JoeTyler said:

some aged bad quicky

007 Thunderball

American Graffiti

Star Wars (I mean the original '77 special effects)

Saturday Night Fever

007 Moonraker

Top Gun

Independence Day

You're nuts. These three are classics. American Graffiti, in particular, is consistently on the AFI's Top 100 of all time.

All three are strong time and place movies. That means they don't age, at all.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/26/13 7:23am

LadyZsaZsa

avatar

Jaws.
But the poster is still the scariest.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/26/13 7:45am

imago

Prince: Screwdriver video

Also,:

1. Anything with Mel Gibson's 80's mullet or soft, unimpressive buttcheeks.

2.

3. Star Wars, episode IV (the original pre-updated version)

4. Superman I, II, III and IV

5. Anything with Molly Ringwald

6. Singles (although I guess that's a period piece lol )

7. Aliens (and to some extent, Alien). The movies are some of my favorites, but their view of the future is incredibly outdated. The videoscreens used on the Nostromo and Sulaco are laughable (even by laste 90s standards), and many of the technologies employed were not terribly future thinking. The technlogy on the Prometheus (filmed just recently) looks lightyears ahead, but still seems a bit behind the times for what we can expect in the future. For example, the stupid scientist who think's playing with a slithering 'snake like' alien would be fun--well, why doesn't his contacts make an immediate diagnoses of the creature, tell him if it is dangerous, venomous, etc. and give advise him first? Oh wait--the guy doesn't have contacts that do that--but it's not conceivable that within our own lifetimes, we'll see technology approaching this. Sci-fi seldom comes close to what it should be when thinking in the future--about the only guy that came close was Arhtur C. Clarke. I wish he had advised the alien films.

8. I don't remember the name but there's this movies starring Demi Moore and John Kusak that makes me giggle. It's soooo 80s.

9. Purple Rain, obviously. Not so much for the fashion but because the women in the movie are depicted as mere objects.

10. War of the Worlds (original black and white version). Again, the women in this movie basically scream and wait to be rescued by men.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/26/13 9:01am

Hudson

avatar

Homeward Bound

Homeward Bound II: The Incredible Journey

The Great Outdoors

Home Alone

Home Alone II

I don't want to get eaten alive
'cause you're so dangerous
No more hearts I can trust, you see
I don't want to get eaten alive
To be eaten alive
Eaten alive
I don't ever want to be
Eaten alive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/26/13 9:04am

JoeTyler

Genesia said:

JoeTyler said:

some aged bad quicky

007 Thunderball

American Graffiti

Star Wars (I mean the original '77 special effects)

Saturday Night Fever

007 Moonraker

Top Gun

Independence Day

You're nuts. These three are classics. American Graffiti, in particular, is consistently on the AFI's Top 100 of all time.

All three are strong time and place movies. That means they don't age, at all.

wow, take it easy lol lol lol lol

I SPECIFICALLY remarked that I was talking about the dated-as-hell special effects of the '77 version of Star Wars

about SNF: no comment, PIECE OF CRAP MOVIE, watchable only for Travolta's moves

I never said they're not classics, more like "dated hit movies" (title of the thread)

AG is probably the "best" movie of that list, I'm gonna admit that

and AFI is cheese

tinkerbell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/26/13 9:10am

ufoclub

avatar

I think the worst offender for biggest movies that are aging badly are Lord of the Rings movies. Totally saw that coming the moment I stepped out of the theater, in fact I think I posted about it back then. The gratuitous thematic music with impossible CG shots, and the cheap sets and lighting that are interpersed with more convincing moments. And the stacatto slow motion. But at the same time they each have great moments too.

Ya'll are crazy for naming gold like American Graffiti, Star Wars, Jaws, Superman the Movie, even Purple Rain, those hold up just fine, and are consistently rerun both by stations, and BY ME ON MY BLU_RAY PLAYER! mad

How has American Graffiti or similarly, Saturday Night Fever aged badly? Both have that French New Wave technique of realistic locations, a more nuetral perspective, and very natural performances and characters. They are both still ahead of the time, especially if you consider something like The Avengers which like Lord of the Rings is going to be looked at badly in the future.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/26/13 9:14am

JoeTyler

I guess we agree to disagree

I'd rather rewatch Porky's than American Graffiti (that was an hyperbole)

tinkerbell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/26/13 9:21am

XxAxX

avatar

a lot of the classic movies i love watching are badly dated, maybe not aging too well. for example, 'charade' with audrey hepburn and cary grant; 'happy go lovely' with vera allen and david niven, or 'the It girl' with clara bow.

thing is, most of those movies feature female characters whose goal in life is to get married and live happily ever after. in that sense, these movies don't translate well today, imo. they are fun to watch, but inevitably i end up feeling really glad to be alive today, not confined by the standards of those times

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/26/13 9:57am

Genesia

avatar

You're all nuts. (Okay...most of you.)

You think it means a movie hasn't "aged well" just because it doesn't hew to the styles and mores of 2013? Seriously? By that standard, nobody should bother with Homer's Odyssey, anymore, because Odysseus would never travel on a ship with sails today.

Mildred Pierce hasn't "aged well" because nobody wears big shoulder pads or pencils their eyebrows today.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington hasn't "aged well" because the grifters and cynics have permanently won the day.

Imitation of Life and Pinky haven't "aged well" because black folks don't feel the need to "pass" anymore.

D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation hasn't "aged well" because nobody in their right mind would make a film glorifying the Klan today.

Any movie in which unmarried people don't have sex hasn't "aged well" because we're all just a bunch of sluts in 2013.

What the hell - let's just torch any film that's more than five years old.

I'd be willing to bet that everyone who says certain films haven't aged well is under 35. lol

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/26/13 2:26pm

namepeace

I'd bet at least half of the Oscar winners over the last generation or so could be nominated.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/26/13 2:30pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

I bought Raiders of the Lost Ark a few years ago and told my kids, "Hey, watch this! It's the most exciting movie ever made!" Turns out it wasn't all that exciting any more.

Same thing happened when I made them watch The Warriors. It kind of looked stupid, even to me.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/26/13 2:51pm

thekidsgirl

avatar

Genesia said:

You're all nuts. (Okay...most of you.)

You think it means a movie hasn't "aged well" just because it doesn't hew to the styles and mores of 2013? Seriously? By that standard, nobody should bother with Homer's Odyssey, anymore, because Odysseus would never travel on a ship with sails today.

Mildred Pierce hasn't "aged well" because nobody wears big shoulder pads or pencils their eyebrows today.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington hasn't "aged well" because the grifters and cynics have permanently won the day.

Imitation of Life and Pinky haven't "aged well" because black folks don't feel the need to "pass" anymore.

D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation hasn't "aged well" because nobody in their right mind would make a film glorifying the Klan today.

Any movie in which unmarried people don't have sex hasn't "aged well" because we're all just a bunch of sluts in 2013.

What the hell - let's just torch any film that's more than five years old.

I'd be willing to bet that everyone who says certain films haven't aged well is under 35. lol

I COMPLETELY agree with you!! (and I'm under 35, lol) ... I was reading this, wondering how some people decide that a movie has not aged well? hmmm

Films are like snapshots of a place and time. A cheesey sci-fi film of the 70's may look comical by today's standards when it comes to special effects, but it is still a slice of 70's cinema and at that time may have been cutting edge.

If you will, so will I
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/26/13 2:55pm

thekidsgirl

avatar

Maybe this thread would be better titled, "Hit movies that just don't do it for me like they used to" lol

If you will, so will I
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/26/13 3:07pm

runphilrun

I agree with kidsgirl.Old movies if they are written well,acted, and excellent direction & cinematography are timeless. I think the reason some films like older sci-fi and fantasy don't age well is because today's technology (CGI) makes old special effects look primitive. I get bored with a movie if it has too much CGI. I tend to watch older films these days, film noir in particular is my current obsession.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/26/13 3:51pm

MoBetterBliss

movies being a snapshop of a time etc... i get all that... but here's what i mean

i recently watched on the waterfront with brando... loved it... to me, it IS timeless... because at it's base, there are things that make a movie great

other movies can come out and be enjoyable for other reasons.. but over time... those reasons fade

using the lord of the rings example again... apart from all the things ufoclub mentioned (which i agree with completely)... some of the acting is TERRIBLE

but when it came out it was enjoyable because it seemed epic... and i was just plain excited that the story was finally out there for us to watch

over time when gimmicks (for want of a better word) aren't as impressive as they once seemed, you're left with a movie... and sometimes that movie no longer holds up....how old the movie is has nothing to do with it

.

[Edited 3/26/13 15:54pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/26/13 3:56pm

XxAxX

avatar

MoBetterBliss said:

movies being a snapshop of a time etc... i get all that... but here's what i mean

i recently watched on the waterfront with brando... loved it... to me, it IS timeless... because at it's base, there are things that make a movie great

other movies can come out and be enjoyable for other reasons.. but over time... those reasons fade

using the lord of the rings example again... apart from all the thing ufoclub mentioned (which i agree with completely)... some of the acting is TERRIBLE

but when it came out it was enjoyable because it seemed epic... and i was just plain excited that the story was finally out there for us to watch

over time when gimmicks (for want of a better word) aren't as impressive as they once seemed, you're left with a movie... and sometimes that movie no longer holds up....how old the movie is has nothing to do with it

but isn't that just a reflection of how our own personal movie palates evolve??

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/26/13 4:01pm

MoBetterBliss

i'm just asking for opinions... none of which, when applied to an artform, are fact

opinions.. that's all... opinions

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/26/13 4:05pm

AFine1

All of the 'scary movies' that made it so I couldn't sleep for weeks when they first came out!

I made my kids watch a few of them recently, saying "omg, this is such a scary movie!" - the Shining, Amityville Horror, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street - only to find that they aren't just not scary but they're actually pretty darned cheesy by today's standards.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/26/13 4:12pm

TD3

avatar

Clint Eastwood entire movie career. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/26/13 4:29pm

LadyZsaZsa

avatar

ufoclub said:

I think the worst offender for biggest movies that are aging badly are Lord of the Rings movies. Totally saw that coming the moment I stepped out of the theater, in fact I think I posted about it back then. The gratuitous thematic music with impossible CG shots, and the cheap sets and lighting that are interpersed with more convincing moments. And the stacatto slow motion. But at the same time they each have great moments too.



Ya'll are crazy for naming gold like American Graffiti, Star Wars, Jaws, Superman the Movie, even Purple Rain, those hold up just fine, and are consistently rerun both by stations, and BY ME ON MY BLU_RAY PLAYER! mad



How has American Graffiti or similarly, Saturday Night Fever aged badly? Both have that French New Wave technique of realistic locations, a more nuetral perspective, and very natural performances and characters. They are both still ahead of the time, especially if you consider something like The Avengers which like Lord of the Rings is going to be looked at badly in the future.




Would you like fries with that? lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/26/13 5:07pm

NDRU

avatar

Maybe it always sucked (though it did get good reviews) but Purple Rain has some of the worst drama I have seen. It's actually just as bad as the other prince films that were so panned upon release.

But the musical scenes are as good as ever. Probably some of the best live performances in any film.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/26/13 5:17pm

Genesia

avatar

thekidsgirl said:



Genesia said:


You're all nuts. (Okay...most of you.)



You think it means a movie hasn't "aged well" just because it doesn't hew to the styles and mores of 2013? Seriously? By that standard, nobody should bother with Homer's Odyssey, anymore, because Odysseus would never travel on a ship with sails today.



Mildred Pierce hasn't "aged well" because nobody wears big shoulder pads or pencils their eyebrows today.



Mr. Smith Goes to Washington hasn't "aged well" because the grifters and cynics have permanently won the day.



Imitation of Life and Pinky haven't "aged well" because black folks don't feel the need to "pass" anymore.



D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation hasn't "aged well" because nobody in their right mind would make a film glorifying the Klan today.



Any movie in which unmarried people don't have sex hasn't "aged well" because we're all just a bunch of sluts in 2013.



What the hell - let's just torch any film that's more than five years old.



I'd be willing to bet that everyone who says certain films haven't aged well is under 35. lol







I COMPLETELY agree with you!! (and I'm under 35, lol) ... I was reading this, wondering how some people decide that a movie has not aged well? hmmm



Films are like snapshots of a place and time. A cheesey sci-fi film of the 70's may look comical by today's standards when it comes to special effects, but it is still a slice of 70's cinema and at that time may have been cutting edge.



Exactly!

A great example of the sci-fi genre is Forbidden Planet. To the casual observer, this movie is hilarious, because of the dated 50s effects. But the movie is based on Shakespeare's The Tempest. And nobody better think of telling me that Shakespeare's plays haven't aged well. talk to the hand
We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/26/13 7:56pm

thekidsgirl

avatar

XxAxX said:

but isn't that just a reflection of how our own personal movie palates evolve??

nod

If you will, so will I
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/26/13 8:14pm

MoBetterBliss

shhh

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/26/13 10:22pm

ManlyMoose

I'm pretty sure your gonna have a tough time convincing people that the acting in anyone of the LOTRs was bad (Except for a couple of Bloom parts), the last two of the three are critics pets and with good reason too, the last in particular is held in the same ranks as the Godfathers and Shawshenk.

Frankly, after having watching them quite recently I gotta agree with the critics. Maybe it takes it self too seriously for you or you just don't like these kinds of films, or some site like cracked tried to roast it but I dont see what your poking at with that one. All the major characters (except Bloom) demonstrate a huge range of emotions convincingly. The only major complaint I've heard about these films is the running time is too long or people not liking the way Golem was written.

Neither do I get your Scarface complaints....................... confused Probably should accept you dont have similar tastes to me.

On topic; I would say the Superman movies, now THERES some cheese, not to mention bad plot. Jumuangi, Highlander, Labyrinth, and The Neverending Story.

And Yes, the reason I got a strong opinion about LOTR above is because I literally JUST finished watching them. Dont wanna see someone I know is good get slandered lol

[Edited 3/26/13 22:34pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > hit movies that haven't aged well