independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > At least 8 dead at Astroworld music festival in Houston
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/06/21 11:56am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

At least 8 dead at Astroworld music festival in Houston


At least eight people were killed after fans attending a Houston music festival surged toward the stage during a performance by rapper Travis Scott, triggering panic in the crowd of tens of thousands, authorities said.


The chaos unfolded Friday evening at Astroworld, a sold-out, two-day event at the NRG Park stadium. An estimated 50,000 people were in attendance.




https://www.cbc.ca/news/w...-1.6239810


rose

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/06/21 12:17pm

lastdecember

avatar

luv4u said:

At least eight people were killed after fans attending a Houston music festival surged toward the stage during a performance by rapper Travis Scott, triggering panic in the crowd of tens of thousands, authorities said.


The chaos unfolded Friday evening at Astroworld, a sold-out, two-day event at the NRG Park stadium. An estimated 50,000 people were in attendance.




https://www.cbc.ca/news/w...-1.6239810


rose

Very very sad but I honestly have said this over and over, I will never ever go to a GA show again, I did so many of them when I was younger and I always hated the shit. People get there late, push and shove to the front, its pure nonsense and this always seems to happen tragically, hopefully GA shows never happen anymore, not even because of COVID regulations just because they all suck.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/06/21 12:21pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator





254518693_10220848401502238_9074501764736873194_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=U-wK-k5cqZkAX8SOhq2&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr5-1.fna&oh=3413756d645596a98991e28836acc984&oe=61AD01A2

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/06/21 2:03pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

I have two questions.

1. Who is Travis Scott?

2. Why was this concert allowed to go ahead during a pandemic?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/06/21 2:22pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

I have two questions. 1. Who is Travis Scott?

He's a popular rapper. Stevie Wonder & Philip Bailey have worked with him

EmmaMcG said:

2. Why was this concert allowed to go ahead during a pandemic?

It's in Texas, the governor there declined lockdowns and mandatory mask wearing. At the moment, lockdowns are done by state or local governments not the national one. That's why movie theaters, clubs, bars, beaches, malls, restaurants, and other public places are open now in many places in the USA, when they were mostly shut down in 2020 because of national lockdowns. There's been lots of concerts in 2021 before this and upcoming too. Many of the TV talk shows have studio audiences now, when they didn't last year and guests appear in studio too when in 2020 most did Zoom interviews.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/06/21 2:48pm

CynicKill

Now there's reports of a security gaurd being jabbed in the neck with a needle!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/06/21 8:43pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

In the US actually only 9 states have mask mandates anymore.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/these-are-the-states-with-mask-mandates

It's pretty much open season in all the other states. Wanna rave, wanna karoke, wanna bar hop, wanna orgy, want "normal" back? The other states are here 4u.


I'm super apolitical but, kinda odd one dude lost because he fucked up the pandemic, other dude got nominated under the premise of taking the pandemic seriously, then proceeded to get rid of the CDC mask recommendation less than 60 days in.

[Edited 11/6/21 20:48pm]

[Edited 11/6/21 20:48pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/06/21 8:52pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

CynicKill said:

Now there's reports of a security gaurd being jabbed in the neck with a needle!

Security guard injected with drugs during Astroworld Festival disaster, HPD confirms



HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- As rumors spread about what led to the deaths of eight peopl...d Festival, authorities confirmed one of the early claims that someone was injecting people with a needle during the deadly event, though it's possible it may have been an isolated incident.

https://abc13.com/astrowo...vzSPtfK6qk

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/07/21 4:34am

lastdecember

avatar

Well as i said before I despise "festivals" and "general admission" shows for this reason. EVERY general admission show i have ever gone too, there were many (i stopped years ago), there was ALWAYS the constant push to get to the front, which led me to say "why am I standing outside a venue early if this asshole comes five minutes before the show and because HE CAN he pushes all of us around" so I finally said screw this shit, AND I went to many PRINCE GA shows and they all sucked for this reason. NOW magnify that for a festival which i never did go to but I have no desire to be around ten people why would I want 10,000 around me. Now what troubles me more is the fact that in the news article it says those dead range in age from 14-27. THat is troubling because WHY is a 14 year old even at this, and yes they could have been with an older person, but somehow I doubt it. And I am sure alcohol is being sold and I have some WAKE up news for Travis Scott, if he in fact is the ORGANIZER which i believe if I read it right he is, that he ALSO not just the venue and security, is liable, SO he can expect to be paying out money for a long time on this. Even if the venue and security are at fault, and corners were cut to save $$$ you still are the organizer and you are going to be the one sued. Just like the tragedy on set with Alec Baldwin, regardless of a Crew member checking the gun, Alec is the producer and he will be the one paying out. Now with the festival incident that is going to be a huge sum, because you have 8 people dead, but also quite a few injured and you know others are going to jump in on that. I honestly think its time to END these kind of festivals, these two day things that always have issues, and then you mix in alcohol and im sure drugs too in places where carrying a weapon is allowed, well do the math, you are going to have a tragedy most of the time.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/07/21 5:21am

Empress

EmmaMcG said:

I have two questions.

1. Who is Travis Scott?

2. Why was this concert allowed to go ahead during a pandemic?


This is a tragedy, but I don't know who Travis Scott is either. I do know that
this is Texas, land of the right wingers and don't tell me what I can and can't do unless it's abortion. The gov is a Trumper, enough said.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/07/21 5:40am

lastdecember

avatar

Empress said:

EmmaMcG said:
I have two questions. 1. Who is Travis Scott? 2. Why was this concert allowed to go ahead during a pandemic?
This is a tragedy, but I don't know who Travis Scott is either. I do know that this is Texas, land of the right wingers and don't tell me what I can and can't do unless it's abortion. The gov is a Trumper, enough said.

While all that is true about the state, MOST states allow these events to happen, even now in the pandemic days. Here in NYC where this a mandate for things and indoor events you have to show proof of vaccination, we just had a big outdoor event here in Central Park benfitting front line workers, so NYC is far from a Right Wing state by any means. I still dont get the whole Outdoor Indoor nonsense about Covid, because to me if you are in a crowd regardless of in or out if someone is on top of you and is sick you get their germs, whether its out or inside. For me I dont like crowds to begin with so it doesnt really effect me, I have been to a TON of shows since NYC let us into these small venues again and allowed them to reopen and have shows, now most of these venues are sit down table seating type stuff which i prefer, I dont do GA shows at all anymore, I think the last GA show I did was a Prince afterparty and that was it, I retired from that nonsense.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/07/21 9:52am

onlyforaminute

avatar

Kylie Jenner said that she and Travis Scott are "devastated" by the deaths at the Astroworld Festival in Houston, following criticisms that the show was not stopped quickly enough despite pleas from fans.

At least eight people died and hundreds were injured as the crowd surged at the festival on Friday night.

Jenner, who is currently pregnant with her second child with Scott, attended the event with her three-year-old daughter Stormi and sister Kendall Jenner.

"I want to make it clear we weren't aware of any fatalities until the news came out after the show and in no world would have continued filming or performing," Jenner wrote in an Instagram story early on Sunday.
Time keeps on slipping into the future...


This moment is all there is...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/07/21 10:38am

TruthBomb

TRAVIS SCOTT IS A WORTHLESS POS AND NOW RESPONSIBLE FOR 8 DEATHS

THIS POS HAS A HISTORY OF STOKING THE CROWDS TO IGNORE SECURITY AND PUSH AND SHOVE FUCKING DUMB ASS BELONGS IN JAIL
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/07/21 10:40am

lastdecember

avatar

onlyforaminute said:

Kylie Jenner said that she and Travis Scott are "devastated" by the deaths at the Astroworld Festival in Houston, following criticisms that the show was not stopped quickly enough despite pleas from fans. At least eight people died and hundreds were injured as the crowd surged at the festival on Friday night. Jenner, who is currently pregnant with her second child with Scott, attended the event with her three-year-old daughter Stormi and sister Kendall Jenner. "I want to make it clear we weren't aware of any fatalities until the news came out after the show and in no world would have continued filming or performing," Jenner wrote in an Instagram story early on Sunday.

Yeah they are already looking into footage from past shows he has done, and the conduct on stage and the crowds and its not going to end well, its going to cost him a lot, I dont think a lot of these artists realize they are actually responsible for reckless behaviour and also event security and crowd sizes when they are forming they event themselves.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/07/21 10:48am

lastdecember

avatar

Heres some past issues by Scott.

In 2017, Scott was arrested after he encouraged fans to bypass security and rush the stage, leaving a security guard, a police officer and several others injured during a concert in Arkansas. In a separate incident, he was sentenced to one year of court supervision after pleading guilty to reckless conduct charges stemming from a 2015 incident in Chicago at the Lollapalooza music festival.

At the time, Chicago officials said Scott encouraged fans to vault security barricades. However, no one was injured.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/07/21 11:10am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Emma, freedom; that's all they say, free dumb.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/07/21 11:59am

CynicKill

It reminds me of those scary images of Michael Jackson concerts where the fans, packed like sardines, work themselves up into a frenzy only to have to be carried out from passing out.

The difference is Travis Scott utilizes such stereotypical, ritualistic illuminati type symbolism which makes the atmosphere very dark. To the point where that's all people can talk about concerning the show.

I've heard many refer to the experience as hellish and that's what it looks like to me.

This was the perfect storm of self-fulfilling prophecy.

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to realize how it looks.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/07/21 1:42pm

lastdecember

avatar

CynicKill said:

It reminds me of those scary images of Michael Jackson concerts where the fans, packed like sardines, work themselves up into a frenzy only to have to be carried out from passing out.

The difference is Travis Scott utilizes such stereotypical, ritualistic illuminati type symbolism which makes the atmosphere very dark. To the point where that's all people can talk about concerning the show.

I've heard many refer to the experience as hellish and that's what it looks like to me.

This was the perfect storm of self-fulfilling prophecy.

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to realize how it looks.

I agree but its even worse when you have an artist that suggests pushing through the barricades and securtiy and rush the stage, to me thats like yelling fire in a crowded theatre. And to have this many people crammed in, i dont think Scott realizes the severity of this, though accidental, we think, if this is found to be his fault or any sort of violations he could be looking at charges, dont think that is not on the radar for lawyers right now, I mean the fire years back with rock band great white, they were about to go to jail for faulty pyro used in a venue.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/07/21 2:21pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

lastdecember said:

I agree but its even worse when you have an artist that suggests pushing through the barricades and securtiy and rush the stage, to me thats like yelling fire in a crowded theatre. And to have this many people crammed in, i dont think Scott realizes the severity of this, though accidental, we think, if this is found to be his fault or any sort of violations he could be looking at charges, dont think that is not on the radar for lawyers right now, I mean the fire years back with rock band great white, they were about to go to jail for faulty pyro used in a venue.

I remember that Jesse Johnson (from The Time) was touring with New Edition in the mid-1980s. Jesse was arrested because he was accused of starting a riot in the audience. There was the guy that got stabbed by Hell's Angels at the Rolling Stones concert at Altimont, which was filmed. Several people died at a concert by The Who in the 1970s from being crushed by a mob.

Speaking of New Edition, there was a shooting backstage between NE's crew (roadies I think) and Guy's crew during the Heartbreak tour after a fight. One person on Guy's side was shot and died. There was another shootout at the Source Awards in 1995. I think Quincy Jones was there, but he was not involved obviously.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 11/07/21 3:11pm

alphastreet

CynicKill said:

It reminds me of those scary images of Michael Jackson concerts where the fans, packed like sardines, work themselves up into a frenzy only to have to be carried out from passing out.


The difference is Travis Scott utilizes such stereotypical, ritualistic illuminati type symbolism which makes the atmosphere very dark. To the point where that's all people can talk about concerning the show.


I've heard many refer to the experience as hellish and that's what it looks like to me.


This was the perfect storm of self-fulfilling prophecy.


You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to realize how it looks.






I used to fantasize about being in those crowds someday to see him live. So stupid right? Rip to those who passed away, sounds dangerous
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 11/07/21 8:41pm

TruthBomb

Here come the lawsuits…this dumb ass is done - GOOD.

https://news.yahoo.com/tr...04785.html
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 11/08/21 1:17am

DaveT

avatar

Sad to read and scary to hear some of the witnesses talk about how grim it was.

Being in the UK, some of us old enough to recall it have the Hillsborough football tragedy in our minds when we see big crowds like that, I know I certainly do. And as much as I enjoy being in a crowd at a gig for the atmosphere it brings, the minute it starts to get uncomfortable I back out of there.

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 11/08/21 7:31am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Houston is notorious for zero zoning laws.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 11/08/21 1:25pm

kitbradley

avatar

Never heard of Travis Scott but this is really sad and scary. I have never been to a music festival in my life. I can't enjoy myself in a mob of people like that. Yeah, I don't get the "science" behind the chances are lower to catch Covid outdoors with people yelling, screaming and spitting in your face. confuse

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 11/08/21 2:17pm

onlyforaminute

avatar

At least 36 Astroworld Festival concertgoers and their families — including one of the deceased — have sued or plan to sue event organizers in a bevy of civil cases that could still grow in the wake of the catastrophic crowd surge at NRG Park.
Time keeps on slipping into the future...


This moment is all there is...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 11/08/21 3:30pm

Astasheiks

avatar

lastdecember said:

Well as i said before I despise "festivals" and "general admission" shows for this reason. EVERY general admission show i have ever gone too, there were many (i stopped years ago), there was ALWAYS the constant push to get to the front, which led me to say "why am I standing outside a venue early if this asshole comes five minutes before the show and because HE CAN he pushes all of us around" so I finally said screw this shit, AND I went to many PRINCE GA shows and they all sucked for this reason. NOW magnify that for a festival which i never did go to but I have no desire to be around ten people why would I want 10,000 around me. Now what troubles me more is the fact that in the news article it says those dead range in age from 14-27. THat is troubling because WHY is a 14 year old even at this, and yes they could have been with an older person, but somehow I doubt it. And I am sure alcohol is being sold and I have some WAKE up news for Travis Scott, if he in fact is the ORGANIZER which i believe if I read it right he is, that he ALSO not just the venue and security, is liable, SO he can expect to be paying out money for a long time on this. Even if the venue and security are at fault, and corners were cut to save $$$ you still are the organizer and you are going to be the one sued. Just like the tragedy on set with Alec Baldwin, regardless of a Crew member checking the gun, Alec is the producer and he will be the one paying out. Now with the festival incident that is going to be a huge sum, because you have 8 people dead, but also quite a few injured and you know others are going to jump in on that. I honestly think its time to END these kind of festivals, these two day things that always have issues, and then you mix in alcohol and im sure drugs too in places where carrying a weapon is allowed, well do the math, you are going to have a tragedy most of the time.

"AND I went to many PRINCE GA shows and they all sucked for this reason."

Which Prince Concerts was this that you speakest about? confused

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 11/08/21 5:10pm

lastdecember

avatar

Astasheiks said:

lastdecember said:

Well as i said before I despise "festivals" and "general admission" shows for this reason. EVERY general admission show i have ever gone too, there were many (i stopped years ago), there was ALWAYS the constant push to get to the front, which led me to say "why am I standing outside a venue early if this asshole comes five minutes before the show and because HE CAN he pushes all of us around" so I finally said screw this shit, AND I went to many PRINCE GA shows and they all sucked for this reason. NOW magnify that for a festival which i never did go to but I have no desire to be around ten people why would I want 10,000 around me. Now what troubles me more is the fact that in the news article it says those dead range in age from 14-27. THat is troubling because WHY is a 14 year old even at this, and yes they could have been with an older person, but somehow I doubt it. And I am sure alcohol is being sold and I have some WAKE up news for Travis Scott, if he in fact is the ORGANIZER which i believe if I read it right he is, that he ALSO not just the venue and security, is liable, SO he can expect to be paying out money for a long time on this. Even if the venue and security are at fault, and corners were cut to save $$$ you still are the organizer and you are going to be the one sued. Just like the tragedy on set with Alec Baldwin, regardless of a Crew member checking the gun, Alec is the producer and he will be the one paying out. Now with the festival incident that is going to be a huge sum, because you have 8 people dead, but also quite a few injured and you know others are going to jump in on that. I honestly think its time to END these kind of festivals, these two day things that always have issues, and then you mix in alcohol and im sure drugs too in places where carrying a weapon is allowed, well do the math, you are going to have a tragedy most of the time.

"AND I went to many PRINCE GA shows and they all sucked for this reason."

Which Prince Concerts was this that you speakest about? confused


the experiences sucked not the mans performance but because the experience of constantly being shoved and pushed for three hours or more if he was late which he always was. These were shows at rose land Irving plaza the world club tramps etc...all nyc after shows, performances were great but the GA experience sucked, just like the three GA shows I saw for Duran Duran in 1992, and 1995, GA shows are just a crappy time, where someone will piss you off so much that you forget the performances


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > At least 8 dead at Astroworld music festival in Houston