independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Is Elvis over-rated?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 10/07/21 3:43pm

PatrickS77

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

PatrickS77 said:

It wasn't me, who brought him in.

As for the topic. I would say. Yes and no. Obviously he is one of the biggest stars and did many things first and broke records, so he's not overrated. But then again, what he did, looking at it with the knowledge of today, wasn't all that spectacular. So, yes, he is overrated. That said, I do love many of the songs Elvis sung. Especially some of his 70s songs. Suspicious minds is my favourite Elvis song. And probably one of my favourite songs ever. I got some great live CDs from the early 70s of his shows in Vegas. And some years ago, I visited Graceland, which was pretty amazing.

[Edited 10/7/21 14:35pm]

To say Elvis is overrated is like saying Hitchcock or Kubrick were overrated, or Hemingway or Steinbeck were overrated, or Van Gogh or Picasso were overrated

That's why I said. Yes and no. And well, to some Hitchcock and Kubrick are overrated. Especially with the knowledge of now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 10/07/21 3:45pm

PatrickS77

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

PatrickS77 said:

And yet the Jacksons left Motown because they wouldn't let them write their own songs.

Jermaine stayed behind and he did write some songs on his own albums and for others on Motown like Switch & Syreeta. Also the majority of the brothers 1st 2 albums on CBS were written by Gamble & Huff and their other staff writers. The majority of recording artists in the entire history of the recording business did not write their own songs. So the Jacksons wanting to write at Motown has nothing to do with what I said or that Rolling Stone popularized self-writing with their readers.

The Jacksons wanting to write their own stuff has to do with why they wanted to leave and not follow the path of the artists who had songs written for them.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 10/07/21 4:05pm

S2DG

I've never understood this term "over-rated"...

Judging this artist by today's standards is nutty - he has a place in music history and pop culture.

Popularity and money earned are the defining benchmarks (as opposed to what people think) and Elvis has the numbers that speak for themselves.

Agree that he was a showman/entertainer first and an artist second. Of course he had his demons and ripped off others but the list of musicians from the past that have also done this is a long one.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 10/07/21 5:02pm

Free2BMe

EmmaMcG said:

PatrickS77 said:



EmmaMcG said:


He was the best in the world at what he did. He never claimed to be a songwriter or a musician of any merit. That wasn't his job. He was a showman. And a fantastic vocalist to boot. He was essentially an early version of Michael Jackson. Both are world class live performers. Both had amazing voices. Neither of them would be considered musicians of any kind and neither of them were the sole songwriters of most of their songs.


Except. Michael Jackson was. Elvis co-wrote 4 songs.



Hey, I love MJ as much as the next person but to say he wrote the majority of his own songs by himself is factually incorrect.


He wrote Billie Jean, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin Something, Don’t Stop TIL You Get Enough, Bad, TWYMMF, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, Heartbreak Hotel, Earth Song, Black or White, The Girl Is Mine, They Don’t Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow, and many more SOLEL by himself. At least 7 of those songs went Number 1 on the charts. To compare Elvis as a songwriter to Michael is truly disresptful. Michael wrote the majority of his BIGGEST hits as the SOLE songwriter. I don’t think Elvis wrote even ONE song of his own. Just wondering why some fans and non- fans try to dismiss or diminish Michael’s songwriting ability.🤔
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 10/07/21 5:05pm

Free2BMe

PatrickS77 said:



EmmaMcG said:


PatrickS77 said:



Except. Michael Jackson was. Elvis co-wrote 4 songs.



Hey, I love MJ as much as the next person but to say he wrote the majority of his own songs by himself is factually incorrect.


He pretty much wrote the Bad album by himself. Also his biggest hit Billie Jean. And other favourites. And was co-writer on most of the other songs. To put him on a level with Elvis as a songwriter is ridiculous. Michael is a songwriter. Elvis isn't.



100% AGREE.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 10/07/21 5:28pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

S2DG said:

I've never understood this term "over-rated"...

The only time I see this is when a person does not like something that is really popular (ig. MCU movies, Black Panther in particular since it is the 1st superhero movie nominated for a Best Picture Oscar). Like I see the term "underrated" when something is not that popular and the person thinks that it should be over the popular thing. Overrated/underrated seems to be social media terms to me like "cancel culture" & "woke". I never seen them before recent years.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 10/07/21 5:37pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

PatrickS77 said:



jjhunsecker said:


Criticizing Elvis for not writing songs is like criticizing BB King for not dancing like the Nicholas Brothers or James Brown for not singing Opera


No. It's not. What is a singer without songs? Much less than a guitarist without dance or an RnB/Funk singer without opera.



Elvis had songs, he just didn’t write them himself. But through his extraordinary talent, he made them his own... just like Sinatra and Billie Holiday and Etta James and Tony Bennett had done
#SOCIETYDEFINESU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 10/07/21 5:42pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

PatrickS77 said:



jjhunsecker said:


PatrickS77 said:


It wasn't me, who brought him in.



As for the topic. I would say. Yes and no. Obviously he is one of the biggest stars and did many things first and broke records, so he's not overrated. But then again, what he did, looking at it with the knowledge of today, wasn't all that spectacular. So, yes, he is overrated. That said, I do love many of the songs Elvis sung. Especially some of his 70s songs. Suspicious minds is my favourite Elvis song. And probably one of my favourite songs ever. I got some great live CDs from the early 70s of his shows in Vegas. And some years ago, I visited Graceland, which was pretty amazing.


[Edited 10/7/21 14:35pm]



To say Elvis is overrated is like saying Hitchcock or Kubrick were overrated, or Hemingway or Steinbeck were overrated, or Van Gogh or Picasso were overrated


That's why I said. Yes and no. And well, to some Hitchcock and Kubrick are overrated. Especially with the knowledge of now.



Kubrick and Hitchcock were artists working at the highest levels in their chosen medium. Of course, they had occasional missteps and even failures... just like Elvis. But they were at the pinnacle of their art.... again like Elvis as a SINGER
#SOCIETYDEFINESU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 10/07/21 8:58pm

S2DG

MickyDolenz said:

S2DG said:

I've never understood this term "over-rated"...

The only time I see this is when a person does not like something that is really popular (ig. MCU movies, Black Panther in particular since it is the 1st superhero movie nominated for a Best Picture Oscar). Like I see the term "underrated" when something is not that popular and the person thinks that it should be over the popular thing. Overrated/underrated seems to be social media terms to me like "cancel culture" & "woke". I never seen them before recent years.



Thx Micky

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 10/08/21 12:22am

SantanaMaitrey
a

PatrickS77 said:



SantanaMaitreya said:


Guys! This is about Elvis Presley, not Michael Jackson! Let's leave him out of this!

It wasn't me, who brought him in.



As for the topic. I would say. Yes and no. Obviously he is one of the biggest stars and did many things first and broke records, so he's not overrated. But then again, what he did, looking at it with the knowledge of today, wasn't all that spectacular. So, yes, he is overrated. That said, I do love many of the songs Elvis sung. Especially some of his 70s songs. Suspicious minds is my favourite Elvis song. And probably one of my favourite songs ever. I got some great live CDs from the early 70s of his shows in Vegas. And some years ago, I visited Graceland, which was pretty amazing.

[Edited 10/7/21 14:35pm]


That's the thing: you shouldn't look at Elvis with today's knowledge: back then there was nothing like him. Rock and roll was founded by people like him. He inspired so many arrists that it's almost impossible to overrate him.
If you take any of this seriously, you're a bigger fool than I am.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 10/08/21 2:40am

EmmaMcG

avatar

Free2BMe said:

EmmaMcG said:



Hey, I love MJ as much as the next person but to say he wrote the majority of his own songs by himself is factually incorrect.


He wrote Billie Jean, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin Something, Don’t Stop TIL You Get Enough, Bad, TWYMMF, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, Heartbreak Hotel, Earth Song, Black or White, The Girl Is Mine, They Don’t Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow, and many more SOLEL by himself. At least 7 of those songs went Number 1 on the charts. To compare Elvis as a songwriter to Michael is truly disresptful. Michael wrote the majority of his BIGGEST hits as the SOLE songwriter. I don’t think Elvis wrote even ONE song of his own. Just wondering why some fans and non- fans try to dismiss or diminish Michael’s songwriting ability.🤔


And I wonder why people can't read all of another person's posts on a subject before jumping to conclusions about "disrespect".

Read Reply #20 in this thread to get a better idea of what I'm getting at by comparing the two artists IN RELATION TO THE QUESTION OF "IS ELVIS OVERRATED".
[Edited 10/8/21 2:46am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 10/08/21 5:45am

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

I think unless we were alive at his peak and his target audience we cant judge that fairly as it was a different time with different expectations

I think he's boring and smug but then he's not aimed at me im not s product if that time and he broke the mould from what I gather. If I experienced him at that time I think i could think differently

Plus im biased, as to me prince is king
[Edited 10/8/21 5:48am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 10/08/21 7:08am

Free2BMe

EmmaMcG said:

Free2BMe said:



He wrote Billie Jean, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin Something, Don’t Stop TIL You Get Enough, Bad, TWYMMF, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, Heartbreak Hotel, Earth Song, Black or White, The Girl Is Mine, They Don’t Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow, and many more SOLEL by himself. At least 7 of those songs went Number 1 on the charts. To compare Elvis as a songwriter to Michael is truly disresptful. Michael wrote the majority of his BIGGEST hits as the SOLE songwriter. I don’t think Elvis wrote even ONE song of his own. Just wondering why some fans and non- fans try to dismiss or diminish Michael’s songwriting ability.🤔


And I wonder why people can't read all of another person's posts on a subject before jumping to conclusions about "disrespect".

Read Reply #20 in this thread to get a better idea of what I'm getting at by comparing the two artists IN RELATION TO THE QUESTION OF "IS ELVIS OVERRATED".
[Edited 10/8/21 2:46am]



I read your entire post and was commenting on the comparison between Michael and Elvis as songwriters. Michael was actually a songwriter, Elvis was NOT, and that’s the bottomline. Maybe the word “disrespect” was not the correct word. “Misinformed” maybe a better word. People really are misinformed about Michael as a songwriter. They actually don’t know that he was the SOLE writer, NOT Co-writer of some of his biggest hits. Of course, he had co-writers and ALWAYS gave them credit. It just bothers me that some fans and especially non-fans don’t give MJ the credit that he deserves as a songwriter-lyricist and composer. That is the main reason for my comment in this thread. If Michael’s name had not been brought up in comparison to Elvis’ songwriting skills, I would have never commented. This is the type of mis-information that needs to be stopped in its track, and I hope every MJ fan stops this type of misinformation.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 10/08/21 7:34am

MickyDolenz

avatar

Free2BMe said:

Of course, he had co-writers and ALWAYS gave them credit.

Mike did take Greg Phillinganes name off of Don't Stop. Greg talked about it in interviews


You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 10/08/21 7:51am

MickyDolenz

avatar

alphastreet said:

Yes he’s the world famous appropriator.

Are Marian Anderson & Katleen Battle appropriators? How about Wu Tang Clan? Since their entire thing including some of their names like Method Man & Old' Dirty Bastard comes from 1970s Hong Kong martial arts movies.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 10/08/21 8:09am

nextedition

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

Free2BMe said:
He wrote Billie Jean, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin Something, Don’t Stop TIL You Get Enough, Bad, TWYMMF, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, Heartbreak Hotel, Earth Song, Black or White, The Girl Is Mine, They Don’t Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow, and many more SOLEL by himself. At least 7 of those songs went Number 1 on the charts. To compare Elvis as a songwriter to Michael is truly disresptful. Michael wrote the majority of his BIGGEST hits as the SOLE songwriter. I don’t think Elvis wrote even ONE song of his own. Just wondering why some fans and non- fans try to dismiss or diminish Michael’s songwriting ability.🤔
And I wonder why people can't read all of another person's posts on a subject before jumping to conclusions about "disrespect". Read Reply #20 in this thread to get a better idea of what I'm getting at by comparing the two artists IN RELATION TO THE QUESTION OF "IS ELVIS OVERRATED". [Edited 10/8/21 2:46am]

I think the miscommunication is you said: "neither of them were the sole songwriters of most of their songs." Mj is a writer of his biggest hits, Elvis wasn't. It has nothing to do with disrespect, but its weird to say that the guy who wrote Billy Jean, Beat It, Bad, Black and White, Smooth criminal and more isn't the sole songwriter...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 10/08/21 8:12am

PJMcGee

avatar

Once I was in the car with my dad and Heartbreak Hotel came on. Um, Elvis's version. It struck me that the song was sexy. I asked if people initially thought it was devil music, it was that sexual. He said they did.

Note that my dad was a big fan of early Elvis, but hated his corny movies. To anyone who thinks Prince was bigger than Elvis (one orger said it recently), the dude made 31 movies, most of them no better than Prince's two clunkers. 31! In the 1960s alone he had 25 movies!

Fun fact: Elvis died in August 1977. The next month, Prince started recording his debut album. When god closes a door...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 10/08/21 9:45am

vainandy

avatar

There was a lot more going on with Elvis becoming an icon than just talent. It had a lot to do with timing and image. He was the first white artist to bring black music to the white world and be so successful at it that it would change the sound of music forever. Yeah, previous to him, there were people like the goodie two shoes Pat Boone...who would steal Little Richard songs, slow them down, and make them sound rhythmless and dorky...but Elvis (young Elvis...not the ridiculous cape wearing Captain Marvel Elvis that he later became), kept the rhythm up as best as he could, and unlike Pat Boone, he didn't sing them in a way that sounded like a white Sunday School teacher leading the class in a song. He was a handsome, sharp dressed, hip swinging, cool motherfucker. Elvis the Pelvis honey. In others, something the white world had never seen before in music....a badass.

.

A lot of parents didn't like him, a lot of radio didn't like him, and I've seen clips of radio DJs smashing rock and roll records claiming they were not going to let them corrupt the minds of their children with this....and yes, they actually say the racial slur over the air...of the group of people that rock and roll music actually belonged to. I think that's what gets on my nerves the most when I hear people today who refuse to admit that today's music actually does suck and make statements like.... "Every generation hated the new generation's music and thought it sucked.".... Oh no honey, they hated it for completely different reasons than we hate current music.

.

Anyway, regardless of the opposition, the kids picked up on it and it grew into a huge mainstream genre. Actually, I think the opposition may have even helped it grow because when kids reach their rebellious age, if parents and society tell them not to do something, that makes it more mysterious and appealing to them and they're going to do it.

Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 10/08/21 9:49am

Graycap23

avatar

If u are called a King.........but U are not much more than a court jester........U are overrated.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 10/08/21 9:53am

vainandy

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

Get mad at the teen girls for buying all his music not his own fault. He had some good songs though gotta admit.

You got that right honey. I have never understood why people get mad at Elvis for influencing people to put rhythm into white music but don't get mad at Shitney Houston for influencing people to take rhythm out of black music. evillol

Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 10/08/21 10:01am

MickyDolenz

avatar

vainandy said:

I have never understood why people get mad at Elvis for influencing people to put rhythm into white music but don't get mad at Shitney Houston for influencing people to take rhythm out of black music. evillol

Wouldn't that really be Narada Michael Walden since he produced a lot of Whitney's 1980s hits? razz

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 10/08/21 10:11am

EmmaMcG

avatar

nextedition said:



EmmaMcG said:


Free2BMe said:
He wrote Billie Jean, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin Something, Don’t Stop TIL You Get Enough, Bad, TWYMMF, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, Heartbreak Hotel, Earth Song, Black or White, The Girl Is Mine, They Don’t Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow, and many more SOLEL by himself. At least 7 of those songs went Number 1 on the charts. To compare Elvis as a songwriter to Michael is truly disresptful. Michael wrote the majority of his BIGGEST hits as the SOLE songwriter. I don’t think Elvis wrote even ONE song of his own. Just wondering why some fans and non- fans try to dismiss or diminish Michael’s songwriting ability.🤔

And I wonder why people can't read all of another person's posts on a subject before jumping to conclusions about "disrespect". Read Reply #20 in this thread to get a better idea of what I'm getting at by comparing the two artists IN RELATION TO THE QUESTION OF "IS ELVIS OVERRATED". [Edited 10/8/21 2:46am]

I think the miscommunication is you said: "neither of them were the sole songwriters of most of their songs." Mj is a writer of his biggest hits, Elvis wasn't. It has nothing to do with disrespect, but its weird to say that the guy who wrote Billy Jean, Beat It, Bad, Black and White, Smooth criminal and more isn't the sole songwriter...



But that wasn't the point I was making. I explained this in my other post (see Reply #20). I couldn't be bothered typing it out again but it's all there in that post.

Although what I said is technically correct, MJ didn't write the majority of his songs by himself. He wrote a lot of his bigger hits by himself but I never once said that he didn't so I don't see why this has even become an issue. If you guys want to go start a thread about Michael Jackson's songwriting abilities I'll gladly contribute. He's written some of my favourite songs of all time.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 10/08/21 10:13am

vainandy

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

vainandy said:

I have never understood why people get mad at Elvis for influencing people to put rhythm into white music but don't get mad at Shitney Houston for influencing people to take rhythm out of black music. evillol

Wouldn't that really be Narada Michael Walden since he produced a lot of Whitney's 1980s hits? razz

I never bought even one of her records so I have no idea who produced them. She's the one whose name is on the records though and the one that toured, promoted, and had people to send them out to radio though so she's responsible, not him. As for Narada, he's got a lot of funky stuff himself. Everyone has a dorky side too. Hell, I like several songs by The Carpenters. I wouldn't send them out to R&B stations though and try to get them to play the songs. They should have sent her shit to nothing but Adult Contemporary stations where she could have been the biggest Debby Boone she wanted to be without doing any damage to other genres. lol

Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 10/08/21 10:14am

EmmaMcG

avatar

Free2BMe said:

EmmaMcG said:



And I wonder why people can't read all of another person's posts on a subject before jumping to conclusions about "disrespect".

Read Reply #20 in this thread to get a better idea of what I'm getting at by comparing the two artists IN RELATION TO THE QUESTION OF "IS ELVIS OVERRATED".
[Edited 10/8/21 2:46am]



I read your entire post and was commenting on the comparison between Michael and Elvis as songwriters. Michael was actually a songwriter, Elvis was NOT, and that’s the bottomline. Maybe the word “disrespect” was not the correct word. “Misinformed” maybe a better word. People really are misinformed about Michael as a songwriter. They actually don’t know that he was the SOLE writer, NOT Co-writer of some of his biggest hits. Of course, he had co-writers and ALWAYS gave them credit. It just bothers me that some fans and especially non-fans don’t give MJ the credit that he deserves as a songwriter-lyricist and composer. That is the main reason for my comment in this thread. If Michael’s name had not been brought up in comparison to Elvis’ songwriting skills, I would have never commented. This is the type of mis-information that needs to be stopped in its track, and I hope every MJ fan stops this type of misinformation.


Had you actually read my other post you wouldn't be talking about misinformation or disrespect. Again, I wish people would actually read what's been written before jumping in to argue over something as minor as this. sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 10/08/21 10:39am

MickyDolenz

avatar

vainandy said:

I never bought even one of her records so I have no idea who produced them. She's the one whose name is on the records though and the one that toured, promoted, and had people to send them out to radio though so she's responsible, not him. As for Narada, he's got a lot of funky stuff himself. Everyone has a dorky side too. Hell, I like several songs by The Carpenters. I wouldn't send them out to R&B stations though and try to get them to play the songs. They should have sent her shit to nothing but Adult Contemporary stations where she could have been the biggest Debby Boone she wanted to be without doing any damage to other genres. lol

What was Whitney doing that Lionel Richie, Jeffrey Osborne, & Dionne Warwick wasn't doing before her? Lionel got more promotion than Rick James and they were both on Motown. Lionel & Jeffrey was played on R&B and adult contemporary stations. Lionel's videos were on MTV. Rick not so much other than Superfreak.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 10/08/21 10:51am

vainandy

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

vainandy said:

I never bought even one of her records so I have no idea who produced them. She's the one whose name is on the records though and the one that toured, promoted, and had people to send them out to radio though so she's responsible, not him. As for Narada, he's got a lot of funky stuff himself. Everyone has a dorky side too. Hell, I like several songs by The Carpenters. I wouldn't send them out to R&B stations though and try to get them to play the songs. They should have sent her shit to nothing but Adult Contemporary stations where she could have been the biggest Debby Boone she wanted to be without doing any damage to other genres. lol

What was Whitney doing that Lionel Richie, Jeffrey Osborne, & Dionne Warwick wasn't doing before her? Lionel got more promotion than Rick James and they were both on Motown. Lionel & Jeffrey was played on R&B and adult contemporary stations. Lionel's videos were on MTV. Rick not so much other than Superfreak.

She was being much more extremely successful than they were to the point that if influenced others to do it. Funk still dominated when they did it and the adult contemporary artists were the minority. When she came along, more and more adult contemporary R&B came out of the woodwork to the point that they took over and put funk in the minority. Hell, so many of them came out that they eventually started new stations for the genre and called it Urban Adult Contemporary. Those stations didn't exist before because there wasn't enough of it being made to start stations with the format.

Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 10/08/21 11:12am

MickyDolenz

avatar

vainandy said:

She was being much more extremely successful than they were to the point that if influenced others to do it. Funk still dominated when they did it and the adult contemporary artists were the minority. When she came along, more and more adult contemporary R&B came out of the woodwork to the point that they took over and put funk in the minority. Hell, so many of them came out that they eventually started new stations for the genre and called it Urban Adult Contemporary. Those stations didn't exist before because there wasn't enough of it being made to start stations with the format.

But hip hop has way more influence on modern R&B & Top 40 pop than Whitney's music. New Jack Swing was R&B singing with hip hop beats. Rap breaks replaced the guitar & sax solos in popular R&B music. There's even hip hop sounds in current mainstream country music. The "adult R&B" of Whitney, Freddie Jackson, Anita Baker, René & Angela, Luther Vandross, etc. was counter-programming for the middle aged black audience who did not dig rap which was on the rise in the 1980s with teens & young adults. Really, it was Smokey Robinson that started that, not Whitney. He released the Quiet Storm single in the mid-1970s and then a radio show and later format was created around it. Quiet Storm was the origins of the "adult R&B" format and also the popularity of smooth jazz (George Benson, Al Jarreau, Kenny G., Najee) in the 1970s & 1980s.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 10/08/21 11:45am

vainandy

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

vainandy said:

She was being much more extremely successful than they were to the point that if influenced others to do it. Funk still dominated when they did it and the adult contemporary artists were the minority. When she came along, more and more adult contemporary R&B came out of the woodwork to the point that they took over and put funk in the minority. Hell, so many of them came out that they eventually started new stations for the genre and called it Urban Adult Contemporary. Those stations didn't exist before because there wasn't enough of it being made to start stations with the format.

But hip hop has way more influence on modern R&B & Top 40 pop than Whitney's music. New Jack Swing was R&B singing with hip hop beats. Rap breaks replaced the guitar & sax solos in popular R&B music. There's even hip hop sounds in current mainstream country music. The "adult R&B" of Whitney, Freddie Jackson, Anita Baker, René & Angela, Luther Vandross, etc. was counter-programming for the middle aged black audience who did not dig rap which was on the rise in the 1980s with teens & young adults. Really, it was Smokey Robinson that started that, not Whitney. He released the Quiet Storm single in the mid-1970s and then a radio show and later format was created around it. Quiet Storm was the origins of the "adult R&B" format and also the popularity of smooth jazz (George Benson, Al Jarreau, Kenny G., Najee) in the 1970s & 1980s.

You got that right!!!!! And with the flooding of the airwaves of adult contemporary driving the funk out of style, what was left to fill the void for a badass rebelious form of R&B? Absolutely nothing. The doors were wide open for bullshit to take over. And look at rap of the 1980s compared to rap of the 1990s. I'm talking about the stuff that the radio was playing, not the underground stuff. Most 1980s rap on the radio was a faster tempo because it was being played right alongside disco and funk. Once the 1990s kicked, once funk was gone, and the electro and house styles of rap eventually fizzed out, what took over? Stripped down, slow to midtempo, "talking over a Fisher Price sounding beat" type of rap....in other words, what I remaned as shit hop because I loved a lot of rap in the 1980s so I didn't want the later rap confused with it. But look at the stuff that wasn't rap on R&B radio in the 1990s when dance, house, electro, etc. finally fizzled out. The majority of the singers were making slow to midtempo stuff which had been influenced by the adult contemporary stuff that had dominated. Naturally, rap was going to do the same thing and go with that tempo and become shit hop. And then shit hop even turned around and influenced the adult contemporary artists to use the same type of Fisher Price toys they use in their music. But no, it all started with Shitney because rap was funky back when funk was still dominating.

.

It all makes me wonder if Elvis was mean to Cissy Houston. I mean, the man that brought rhythm to the mainstream masses and the daughter of one of his background singers takes the rhythm back out years later. Cissy, whatever Elvis might have done to you, you got your revenge honey.....and then some! lol

Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 10/08/21 12:00pm

PatrickS77

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

PatrickS77 said:

No. It's not. What is a singer without songs? Much less than a guitarist without dance or an RnB/Funk singer without opera.

Elvis had songs, he just didn’t write them himself. But through his extraordinary talent, he made them his own... just like Sinatra and Billie Holiday and Etta James and Tony Bennett had done

You're a bit thick, are you?? A singer needs songs, but a guitarist doesn't need dance, a soul/rnb singer doesn't need opera. So your earlier comparison is total bullshit and irrelevant.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 10/08/21 12:01pm

PatrickS77

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

PatrickS77 said:

That's why I said. Yes and no. And well, to some Hitchcock and Kubrick are overrated. Especially with the knowledge of now.

Kubrick and Hitchcock were artists working at the highest levels in their chosen medium. Of course, they had occasional missteps and even failures... just like Elvis. But they were at the pinnacle of their art.... again like Elvis as a SINGER

Once again. Totally irrelevant. Point is, there are people who think they are overrated.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Is Elvis over-rated?