independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Stop buying physical music
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/25/21 8:38pm

domainator

Stop buying physical music

I know there are some people amongst you that still buy physical music like CDs. Please stop. The environmental cost involved in MAKING them and then TRANSPORTING them to your store and then to your house, in the internet age is simply ridiculous. We've all put fiber optic cable under the ground and cellphone towers in the sky for a reason. Let's Use it/them. Thank you.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/25/21 8:40pm

fragglerock

avatar

domainator said:

I know there are some people amongst you that still buy physical music like CDs. Please stop. The environmental cost involved in MAKING them and then TRANSPORTING them to your store and then to your house, in the internet age is simply ridiculous. We've all put fiber optic cable under the ground and cellphone towers in the sky for a reason. Let's Use it/them. Thank you.

good luck with that on this site lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/25/21 8:55pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

People tend to keep records/tapes/CDs. But every day they throw out tons of plastic/paper food packaging, water/soda bottles & cans, junk mail, boxes, worn out sneakers, hazmat, car tires, newspapers/magazines, old cell phones, etc. Restaurants & stores throw away perfectly good food everyday too. Using a computer is not good for the environment either, yet you're on the internet.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/25/21 9:10pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

There's also the case that not everybody has a computer or internet, because they can't afford it (or they're not interested in it). Look at all the kids who couldn't do online classes when they shut down the schools for Covid. A lot of older people don't know how to use a computer. Some rural & mountain areas don't even have internet or cell phone service.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/25/21 9:23pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

That argument is invalid. MikeyDolenz said it, people don't use a CD once then throw it away like packaging for water, or juice, or milk. The most is the shrink wrap, and probably are even probably keeping part of that with the hype sticker. lol

No one wants to listen to substandard streaming music all the time. Also, not everyone in the world has access to high speed fibre optic internet that can stream a gazillion things at once. But if you wanna fund that happening, you can probably be a big help, considering all that money you're saving by not buying CDs anymore.

Besides, you should've thought of this when AOL was littering the planet with those fucking install CDs and 3" floppies.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/25/21 9:29pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

TrivialPursuit said:

That argument is invalid. MikeyDolenz said it, people don't use a CD once then throw it away like packaging for water, or juice, or milk. The most is the shrink wrap, and probably are even probably keeping part of that with the hype sticker. lol

No one wants to listen to substandard streaming music all the time. Also, not everyone in the world has access to high speed fibre optic internet that can stream a gazillion things at once. But if you wanna fund that happening, you can probably be a big help, considering all that money you're saving by not buying CDs anymore.

Besides, you should've thought of this when AOL was littering the planet with those fucking install CDs and 3" floppies.



yeahthat

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/25/21 9:36pm

whitechocolate
brotha

avatar

And vinyl's any better? I've got about 1200 CD's and what I love most about them is that I can read the booklets, see the awesome pix, who produced and played on the tracks, etc...I didn't grow up with the internet, so it's all beyond me. No one ever taught me anything about it cuz I'm an older cat who just doesn't "get" it. I'm lucky at work if I can even figure out how to gain entry into my employee file! I'm not very tech-saavy at ALL. I can shop on Amazon, pay some bills, read stuff, but when it comes down 2 all that digital fare, I'm lost. When I pop open a fresh CD, it's the same thrill as when I was younger of slicin' open a brand new album! It gives me a rush! Much luv! I promise if I ever get rid of any of my CD's, I'll recycle 'em or find someone who WILL! <3

Hungry? Just look in the mirror and get fed up.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/26/21 7:16am

Graycap23

avatar

lol......... eek

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/26/21 7:41am

jaawwnn

Any album you listen to more than about 30 times it apparently makes more sense buy it physically than stream it:

How streaming music could...BBC Future


The plastic and packaging that comes with CDs and vinyl makes them seem worse for the environment, but the popularity of music streaming services may be polluting in other ways.


[Edited 7/26/21 7:42am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/26/21 7:44am

OperatingTheta
n

Wow! You've totally convinced me with that rant. I sure am looking at the man in the mirror now.

Do you have a hashtag to accompany your splendidly lucid and reasoned argument?

*
[Edited 7/26/21 7:45am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/26/21 8:43am

Empress

Like that's going to happen. Most of the music I own is a physical copy and I have no intentions of changing that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/26/21 11:07am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Also, what happens when you'r enot near internet and can't stream?

What happens when a streaming service starts charging more per month or year than you may spend on music?


And what happens to the artist who is making 1¢ per stream? People are supposed to live on that, after taxes???

Sit down and be quiet with that bullshit. It's unreasonable and unsustainable.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/26/21 11:14am

kitbradley

avatar

Why did the OP specifically mention CDs and not vinyl? confuse

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/26/21 12:01pm

Cinny

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

Using a computer is not good for the environment either, yet you're on the internet.


Exactly.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/26/21 12:51pm

S2DG

Get the intention but the plastic problem is not my problem. Sick of being told that it is.

Check in with the oil industry that invented it and knew the whole time it wouldn't be reused / could not break down naturally.

Oh yeah and dont tell me what to do. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/26/21 1:40pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Cinny said:

MickyDolenz said:

Using a computer is not good for the environment either, yet you're on the internet.


Exactly.


Cyber high five, my friend.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/26/21 2:11pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

domainator said:

We've all put fiber optic cable under the ground and cellphone towers in the sky for a reason.

Is that supposed to be good for the environment?


You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/26/21 3:54pm

gandorb

This is in 10 billionth place on the list of important environmental issues, so it is hard to take it seriously. For me, buying music at this point in time is mostly to help the artist since they get so little from streaming unless they have massive hits. Yes, you can download it but I do think that many people want the advantages of the CD over downloads/streaming. If everyone stopped buying CDs and making CD players, eventually you would have lots of CDs headed for the landfills decades from now. At least now, people can sell or give away their used CDs if they no longer will use them.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/26/21 5:04pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

Besides, you should've thought of this when AOL was littering the planet with those fucking install CDs and 3" floppies



lol true
Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/26/21 5:20pm

DarkHorse77

Naaaa. I'll stick with all physical media.

"Anna Stesia come to me, talk to me, ravish me
Liberate my mind."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/26/21 8:35pm

domainator

TrivialPursuit said:

Also, what happens when you'r enot near internet and can't stream?

What happens when a streaming service starts charging more per month or year than you may spend on music?


And what happens to the artist who is making 1¢ per stream? People are supposed to live on that, after taxes???

Sit down and be quiet with that bullshit. It's unreasonable and unsustainable.


DON'T take that tone with me.

I am in INDIA. In INDIA, we have already shifted to streaming. CDs never *happened* in India, an English language CD (shipped from overseas, more likely than not) costs, or should I say costED more than 5 to 6 HUNDRED rupees - nobody can afford that. All that was needed for the shift was cheap internet, and now, thanks to Jio (cheap Indian ISP who revolutionised India), we have it. So I just wanted to tell all of you abroad to come to your senses and follow suit. Indian artists now make whatever they *can* from streaming, and that's it. There are no other options (although FM radio still exists - yeah, you know, FM radio!). And that, btw, means Youtube, cause no one, I would imagine pays for Spotify or Amazon Music or whatever, though of course I don't have figures.

We ARE all going to shift online, you know. If YOU/your generation doesn't do it, your kids' will. So why run backwards?
And btw, I didn't mean (for the guy who's talking about plastic) the cost of only MAKING the CDs, but also TRANSPORTING them from the factory to the store/or your house; and in the case of India, TO A FOREIGN COUNTRY. That's a lot of oil being burnt for nothing. Using a computer may not be the perfect solution (ie. it still uses electricity), but from where I'm standing, it's Better.

Do it. It Makes Sense.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/26/21 8:37pm

domainator

kitbradley said:

Why did the OP specifically mention CDs and not vinyl? confuse

Vinyl has been dead in India for about 40 years.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/26/21 9:13pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

If it’s something I really enjoy and love, I want a hard copy that I can have forever- whether it’s music on CD, a movie on Blu-ray, or a book...
That way I’m not subjected to the whims of whoever holds the rights to the work who can pull it anytime they want
#SOCIETYDEFINESU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/26/21 9:16pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

domainator said:

We ARE all going to shift online, you know. If YOU/your generation doesn't do it, your kids' will.

You mean those kids who buy game discs for Playstation & Xbox. lol Popular gaming discs sell way more than music CDs. There's also all of those people who buy DVDs or Blu-Ray.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/26/21 10:41pm

alphastreet

So anti-prince of you to start this lol
[Edited 7/26/21 22:42pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/27/21 12:18am

PatrickS77

avatar

domainator said:

I know there are some people amongst you that still buy physical music like CDs. Please stop. The environmental cost involved in MAKING them and then TRANSPORTING them to your store and then to your house, in the internet age is simply ridiculous. We've all put fiber optic cable under the ground and cellphone towers in the sky for a reason. Let's Use it/them. Thank you.

Sorry. But I don't give a flying fuck. The only way I buy music is phsyical. Anything else you don't really own.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/27/21 12:24am

PatrickS77

avatar

domainator said:

TrivialPursuit said:

Also, what happens when you'r enot near internet and can't stream?

What happens when a streaming service starts charging more per month or year than you may spend on music?


And what happens to the artist who is making 1¢ per stream? People are supposed to live on that, after taxes???

Sit down and be quiet with that bullshit. It's unreasonable and unsustainable.


DON'T take that tone with me.

I am in INDIA. In INDIA, we have already shifted to streaming. CDs never *happened* in India, an English language CD (shipped from overseas, more likely than not) costs, or should I say costED more than 5 to 6 HUNDRED rupees - nobody can afford that. All that was needed for the shift was cheap internet, and now, thanks to Jio (cheap Indian ISP who revolutionised India), we have it. So I just wanted to tell all of you abroad to come to your senses and follow suit. Indian artists now make whatever they *can* from streaming, and that's it. There are no other options (although FM radio still exists - yeah, you know, FM radio!). And that, btw, means Youtube, cause no one, I would imagine pays for Spotify or Amazon Music or whatever, though of course I don't have figures.

We ARE all going to shift online, you know. If YOU/your generation doesn't do it, your kids' will. So why run backwards?
And btw, I didn't mean (for the guy who's talking about plastic) the cost of only MAKING the CDs, but also TRANSPORTING them from the factory to the store/or your house; and in the case of India, TO A FOREIGN COUNTRY. That's a lot of oil being burnt for nothing. Using a computer may not be the perfect solution (ie. it still uses electricity), but from where I'm standing, it's Better.

Do it. It Makes Sense.

LOL and that coming from someone in India, the world leader in avoiding waste... or more like a world leader in producing waste and disposing of it in the worst way. There are way other things to take care of first before you clamp down on CDs.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/27/21 2:21am

DarkHorse77

PatrickS77 said:

domainator said:


DON'T take that tone with me.

I am in INDIA. In INDIA, we have already shifted to streaming. CDs never *happened* in India, an English language CD (shipped from overseas, more likely than not) costs, or should I say costED more than 5 to 6 HUNDRED rupees - nobody can afford that. All that was needed for the shift was cheap internet, and now, thanks to Jio (cheap Indian ISP who revolutionised India), we have it. So I just wanted to tell all of you abroad to come to your senses and follow suit. Indian artists now make whatever they *can* from streaming, and that's it. There are no other options (although FM radio still exists - yeah, you know, FM radio!). And that, btw, means Youtube, cause no one, I would imagine pays for Spotify or Amazon Music or whatever, though of course I don't have figures.

We ARE all going to shift online, you know. If YOU/your generation doesn't do it, your kids' will. So why run backwards?
And btw, I didn't mean (for the guy who's talking about plastic) the cost of only MAKING the CDs, but also TRANSPORTING them from the factory to the store/or your house; and in the case of India, TO A FOREIGN COUNTRY. That's a lot of oil being burnt for nothing. Using a computer may not be the perfect solution (ie. it still uses electricity), but from where I'm standing, it's Better.

Do it. It Makes Sense.

LOL and that coming from someone in India, the world leader in avoiding waste... or more like a world leader in producing waste and disposing of it in the worst way. There are way other things to take care of first before you clamp down on CDs.

Exactly!

"Anna Stesia come to me, talk to me, ravish me
Liberate my mind."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/27/21 10:43am

whitesockedfun
k

avatar

domainator said:

I know there are some people amongst you that still buy physical music like CDs. Please stop. The environmental cost involved in MAKING them and then TRANSPORTING them to your store and then to your house, in the internet age is simply ridiculous. We've all put fiber optic cable under the ground and cellphone towers in the sky for a reason. Let's Use it/them. Thank you.

Erm...

No.

Just like the white winged dove...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/27/21 11:18am

Cinny

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

Cinny said:


Exactly.


Cyber high five, my friend.


And cyber... other stuff! biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Stop buying physical music