independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > What do you think of Cynthia Erivo playing Aretha Franklin?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/18/21 12:40pm

RnBAmbassador

avatar

What do you think of Cynthia Erivo playing Aretha Franklin?

Lots of comments about this British woman playing Aretha in the National Geographic GENIUS: ARETHA. Many are waiting for the RESPECT biopic with Jennifer Hudson playing Aretha this August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjw3-JMm5Sc

Music Royalty in Motion
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/18/21 12:59pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

RnBAmbassador said:

Lots of comments about this British woman playing Aretha in the National Geographic GENIUS: ARETHA. Many are waiting for the RESPECT biopic with Jennifer Hudson playing Aretha this August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjw3-JMm5Sc

Yeah, more interested in Hudson. Aretha finally came around and approved her.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/18/21 1:06pm

daingermouz202
0

RnBAmbassador said:

Lots of comments about this British woman playing Aretha in the National Geographic GENIUS: ARETHA. Many are waiting for the RESPECT biopic with Jennifer Hudson playing Aretha this August.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjw3-JMm5Sc




Looking forward to seeing it. Most Brits are pretty good actor imo.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/18/21 2:54pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

Not trying to knock her but that Cynthia lady looks nothing like Aretha. J Hud was the wiser choice.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/18/21 2:59pm

onlyforaminute

avatar

The battle between Yanks and Brits has become diverse. That's all I got. I'll watch both depending on platform.
Time keeps on slipping into the future...


This moment is all there is...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/18/21 3:53pm

looby

I could totally see Jennifer Hudson playing Aretha. Was it true that at one time, Aretha wanted Halle Berry to play her?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/18/21 4:27pm

RJOrion

MotownSubdivision said:

Not trying to knock her but that Cynthia lady looks nothing like Aretha. J Hud was the wiser choice.



yeah, but she looks as much like Aretha as Jennifer Hudson does...and with wigs/weaves, makeup, and body prosthetics, they can make her look more like Aretha... because think about it: Chad Bozeman looked nothing like James Brown, Jamie Foxx looks nothing like Ray Charles, Leon looks nothing like Little Richard, and Eddie Murphy looks nothing like Dolemite...but they all gave great performances portraying those icons...i would be cool with either Jennifer Hudson or Cynthia Erivo...theyre both great actresses, with good acting range...as long as they get Aretha's physical and verbal mannerisms (her slow raspy Detroit drawl) down, either one should do great...i loved Cynthia Erivo and Micaela Coel in the British comedy series "Chewing Gum"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/18/21 7:43pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

RJOrion said:

MotownSubdivision said:

Not trying to knock her but that Cynthia lady looks nothing like Aretha. J Hud was the wiser choice.



yeah, but she looks as much like Aretha as Jennifer Hudson does...and with wigs/weaves, makeup, and body prosthetics, they can make her look more like Aretha... because think about it: Chad Bozeman looked nothing like James Brown, Jamie Foxx looks nothing like Ray Charles, Leon looks nothing like Little Richard, and Eddie Murphy looks nothing like Dolemite...but they all gave great performances portraying those icons...i would be cool with either Jennifer Hudson or Cynthia Erivo...theyre both great actresses, with good acting range...as long as they get Aretha's physical and verbal mannerisms (her slow raspy Detroit drawl) down, either one should do great...i loved Cynthia Erivo and Micaela Coel in the British comedy series "Chewing Gum"
My point was that Jennifer looks closer to Aretha than Cynthia does; she has a rounder face. I'm not expecting Aretha's twin but in order for someone to fill the role of a well known like Aretha, they have to share SOME physical similarity. Besides being black, Cynthia looks absolutely nothing like Aretha.

Obviously, I'm only talking about looks and I had no idea who Cynthia was until I entered this topic but I do know Jennifer and her acting ability so I'm inclined to side with her. Add Aretha's own blessing and yeah, J-Hud was the better choice.
[Edited 2/18/21 20:43pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/18/21 8:40pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

looby said:

I could totally see Jennifer Hudson playing Aretha. Was it true that at one time, Aretha wanted Halle Berry to play her?

Yup, that was her first pick. lol J-Hud is the better option. Aretha finally decided she was the right choice. Plus, she can actually sing. lol

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/18/21 8:48pm

SoulAlive

I’m gonna skip this one and continue to wait patiently for the biopic with Jennifer Hudson playing Aretha.The trailer looks great!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > What do you think of Cynthia Erivo playing Aretha Franklin?