independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Who's decline in the music world made you feel depressed the most as a fan?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 01/12/21 8:19pm

Margot

kitbradley said:

If you are speaking of a musical decline (sales, voice, quality of music), I can't really think of anyone. Every artist has or will decline at some point. I don't expect anyone to stay at the top of the game forever.

Agree. The culture and fans change as well; new ideas, trends etc.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 01/13/21 3:03am

psyche2

For me, it has to be Terence Trent D'Arby / Sananda Maitreya.

I'd have expected so much more out of his independence...

After Columbia Records pulled the plug, the thrill was gone.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 01/13/21 5:59am

JayCrawford

kitbradley said:

If you are speaking of a musical decline (sales, voice, quality of music), I can't really think of anyone. Every artist has or will decline at some point. I don't expect anyone to stay at the top of the game forever.



That is very true but there are certain artists who had much greater success after their heyday. Dionne Warwick is an good example of this. She had a great comeback period in the 80s and she was way past her prime.

But I do get what you are saying and understand though
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 01/13/21 7:03am

RJOrion

psyche2 said:

For me, it has to be Terence Trent D'Arby / Sananda Maitreya.



I'd have expected so much more out of his independence...


After Columbia Records pulled the plug, the thrill was gone.



he's a talented dude...but it seemed like the media would never stop with the MJ/Prince/Sam Cooke comparisons, and he never was presented as an original, or unique
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 01/13/21 10:16am

MickyDolenz

avatar

It doesn't have anything to do with his music, but I think Johnnie Taylor is hardly ever mentioned when it comes to R&B/soul singers like others such as Otis Redding or Marvin Gaye. The only singer I've heard talking about Johnnie is Huey Lewis. JT started out in a doo wop group in the 1950s called The Five Echoes. He was also in the gospel groups Highway QCs & Soul Stirrers like Sam Cooke was. JT has more hits than Percy Sledge who has been inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame. Percy is mainly known today for 1 song.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 01/13/21 10:45am

RJOrion

MickyDolenz said:

It doesn't have anything to do with his music, but I think Johnnie Taylor is hardly ever mentioned when it comes to R&B/soul singers like others such as Otis Redding or Marvin Gaye. The only singer I've heard talking about Johnnie is Huey Lewis. JT started out in a doo wop group in the 1950s called The Five Echoes. He was also in the gospel groups Highway QCs & Soul Stirrers like Sam Cooke was. JT has more hits than Percy Sledge who has been inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame. Percy is mainly known today for 1 song.



johnnie taylor has always been championed in the black music community, its the mainstream media that sort of has him pigeonholed as a "blues singer", when his music was closer to pure soul/r&b than blues... but he could/would sing all genres
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 01/13/21 11:57am

SantanaMaitrey
a

RJOrion said:

psyche2 said:

For me, it has to be Terence Trent D'Arby / Sananda Maitreya.



I'd have expected so much more out of his independence...


After Columbia Records pulled the plug, the thrill was gone.



he's a talented dude...but it seemed like the media would never stop with the MJ/Prince/Sam Cooke comparisons, and he never was presented as an original, or unique

And that pissed him off. He wanted to be more than a soul singer. He was influenced by classical music, Dylan and the Stones just as much as by soul music.
O tempora! O mores!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 01/13/21 7:56pm

Margot

Amy Winehouse had a precipitous fall.
I loved her voice; I thought she was Shirley Ellis @ first.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 01/14/21 12:18am

psyche2

SantanaMaitreya said:

RJOrion said:
he's a talented dude...but it seemed like the media would never stop with the MJ/Prince/Sam Cooke comparisons, and he never was presented as an original, or unique
And that pissed him off. He wanted to be more than a soul singer. He was influenced by classical music, Dylan and the Stones just as much as by soul music.

He actually is much more than a "soul singer". His tastes were as eclectic as can be, and it showed after the debut album. Musically, the progession of his first 4 albums is simply astonishing.

I had blind faith in his talents even on low budget, but his output from the last 20 years just don't come close to the brilliance of his early 90's albums.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 01/16/21 11:26am

homesquid

avatar

Obviously Prince. I was excited about any and every new Prince track until I listened to "Emancipation". Seriously, there was something special about Prince that no other artist quite had to me. I really like "Emancipation" today but it was just too much mediocrity at the time. Lots of filler and a very generic production. For the first time Prince was boring. And this was after I was underwhelmed by "Chaoes And Distorder" and "Old Friends For Sale". I think he didn't really rebound until "3121"

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 01/16/21 5:13pm

jfenster

psyche2 said:

For me, it has to be Terence Trent D'Arby / Sananda Maitreya.



I'd have expected so much more out of his independence...


After Columbia Records pulled the plug, the thrill was gone.


There's an interview with George Michael talking about how ttd was screwed by the industry...don't know where on youtube
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 01/17/21 9:24pm

whitechocolate
brotha

avatar

alphastreet said:

whitechocolatebrotha said:

I'll go with Natalie Cole. Those dark years from 1981 - 1985 were pretty disappointing 4 me. I kept wishing and praying she'd hit the top of the charts (again), but it didn't happen really till "Jump Start." I wish she had her shit 2gether at Epic cuz they dumped her after only one album. It was rumored that she was gonna be paired up with Teena Marie (producing), but it never happened because of her downward spiral with drugs/rehab attempts. sad

How did you feel when she made a comeback in the 90s?

Happy New Year, alphastreet! Y'know..."Unforgettable...With Love" was AWESOME, but then it became overkill (she had 2 keep doin' duets with her father in the same fashion and then it was Jazz cover after Jazz cover.) I couldn't wait 4 her 2 actually come BACK with a bonafide R&B album and she didn't. Snowfall on the Sahara was just awful and her material continued 2 STAY awful (Leavin'.) If that wasn't bad enuff, she had 2 go out on a Spanish note! So, in answer 2 your question, I'll stay a fan of any of her works from '75 - '91 (minus Dangerous. That, 4 me, was another shitty album.)

The real comeback 4 Natalie, imho was "Everlasting." I'm also a huge fan of "I'm Ready," but that one wasn't promoted by Epic and it fell prey 2 her continued drug abuse. But STILL...a GREAT album! it was classic Natalie, but with an updated sound. Much luv! <3

Hungry? Just look in the mirror and get fed up.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 01/17/21 9:53pm

alphastreet

whitechocolatebrotha said:



alphastreet said:


whitechocolatebrotha said:

I'll go with Natalie Cole. Those dark years from 1981 - 1985 were pretty disappointing 4 me. I kept wishing and praying she'd hit the top of the charts (again), but it didn't happen really till "Jump Start." I wish she had her shit 2gether at Epic cuz they dumped her after only one album. It was rumored that she was gonna be paired up with Teena Marie (producing), but it never happened because of her downward spiral with drugs/rehab attempts. sad



How did you feel when she made a comeback in the 90s?

Happy New Year, alphastreet! Y'know..."Unforgettable...With Love" was AWESOME, but then it became overkill (she had 2 keep doin' duets with her father in the same fashion and then it was Jazz cover after Jazz cover.) I couldn't wait 4 her 2 actually come BACK with a bonafide R&B album and she didn't. Snowfall on the Sahara was just awful and her material continued 2 STAY awful (Leavin'.) If that wasn't bad enuff, she had 2 go out on a Spanish note! So, in answer 2 your question, I'll stay a fan of any of her works from '75 - '91 (minus Dangerous. That, 4 me, was another shitty album.)


The real comeback 4 Natalie, imho was "Everlasting." I'm also a huge fan of "I'm Ready," but that one wasn't promoted by Epic and it fell prey 2 her continued drug abuse. But STILL...a GREAT album! it was classic Natalie, but with an updated sound. Much luv! <3



Happy new year to you too! Thanks for sharing
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 01/18/21 6:39pm

Superstition

avatar

Interesting to see Prince mentioned here. I thought he had tons of quality material up until his death.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Who's decline in the music world made you feel depressed the most as a fan?