independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Question about The Deele
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/08/21 4:42pm

thebanishedone

Question about The Deele

The Deele were a good Morris Day And The Time copy with cool electro funk cuts and a few slow songs.Unfortunately after the big success of Two Occassions Babyface and L.A. Reid career as producers took off and the band disbanded.But why did the band disbanded?

Cause in the early days Face and Reid were using member of The Deele on the sonds they produced for other.Bassist Kayo and singer Darnell are on 1987s Shalamar album,also they are on Pebbels album.

So what happend? Was it a bitter breakup ? it's strange that Green and Darnel didn't even try a solo career.after the failed 4th The Deele album they vanished from the music scene?

Does anybody know the story cause there is nothing online.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/08/21 5:15pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

interviews: Carlos (2017), Dee, Kayo, Stick (2017)

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/08/21 5:38pm

thebanishedone

MickyDolenz said:

interviews: Carlos (2017), Dee, Kayo, Stick (2017)

they said nothing there,very diplomatic interview.they don't even mention Babyface

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/08/21 5:54pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

thebanishedone said:

they said nothing there,very diplomatic interview.they don't even mention Babyface

Maybe you could try Lipstick Alley if you're interested in gossip & dirt. razz Might be something on that site, whether the information there is true or not, can't tell ya.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/09/21 11:34am

SoulAlive

It's sad that things fell apart right at the moment when they were finally gaining a bigger audience."Two Occasions" became a massive hit single in 1988 and with the excellent follow-up single,"Shoot Em' Up Movies",I thought the Deele were on their way to major superstardom.I understand that Babyface and LA wanted to focus on production work for other acts,but it would have been nice if they could have remained with the Deele and continued to make albums with them.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/09/21 12:57pm

thebanishedone

SoulAlive said:

It's sad that things fell apart right at the moment when they were finally gaining a bigger audience."Two Occasions" became a massive hit single in 1988 and with the excellent follow-up single,"Shoot Em' Up Movies",I thought the Deele were on their way to major superstardom.I understand that Babyface and LA wanted to focus on production work for other acts,but it would have been nice if they could have remained with the Deele and continued to make albums with them.

I agree.at the early stages of their production work many of the Deele members were on the records Face and Antonio produced for others,but after 1988 The Deele members disapeared from LAFace production. wonder why?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/09/21 1:00pm

thebanishedone

MickyDolenz said:

thebanishedone said:

they said nothing there,very diplomatic interview.they don't even mention Babyface

Maybe you could try Lipstick Alley if you're interested in gossip & dirt. razz Might be something on that site, whether the information there is true or not, can't tell ya.

I did check that website ,but the only info is La fired guitar player from the first album because he got into booze and drugs and he played terrible on Luther Vandross tour on which The Deele and Debarge were openers.So when confronted Stick Burke said fuck you to LA Reid and he got sacked.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/14/21 10:32pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

There was a band around 1988 out of Cincinnati, Ohio called Sharp produced by

Reggie and Vincent Calloway(formerly of Midnight Star). They were basically the new Deele.

I got a promo copy of the album and stumbled across it in my vinyl collection a few days ago.

I remember Donnie Simpson even tried to help promote them by playing their music on the show.

Their only single from the album that I know of Playboy got very little airplay in my area but it

was a pretty good album. Unfortunately they never got that push from the label. The album is floating out there on Youtube. Available should have been a smash for them.

Can't Get Enough and Can't Take My Eyes Off You are straight up Deele numbers.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/15/21 5:51am

thebanishedone

phunkdaddy said:

There was a band around 1988 out of Cincinnati, Ohio called Sharp produced by

Reggie and Vincent Calloway(formerly of Midnight Star). They were basically the new Deele.

I got a promo copy of the album and stumbled across it in my vinyl collection a few days ago.

I remember Donnie Simpson even tried to help promote them by playing their music on the show.

Their only single from the album that I know of Playboy got very little airplay in my area but it

was a pretty good album. Unfortunately they never got that push from the label. The album is floating out there on Youtube. Available should have been a smash for them.

Can't Get Enough and Can't Take My Eyes Off You are straight up Deele numbers.

i have just found them and listen to it,thank you smile i hear The DEELE in the chant vocal arrangement thats kind of The Deele thing,similar to what they did on Pebbles Girlfriend.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/15/21 3:04pm

daingermouz202
0

thebanishedone said:



MickyDolenz said:


interviews: Carlos (2017), Dee, Kayo, Stick (2017)



they said nothing there,very diplomatic interview.they don't even mention Babyface




Not even mentioning Babyface probably says a lot. Always found it interesting Babyface went solo and made it really big but he was not The Deele's primary lead singer. I don't think he lead any song on their first album.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/15/21 4:19pm

thebanishedone

daingermouz2020 said:

thebanishedone said:

they said nothing there,very diplomatic interview.they don't even mention Babyface

Not even mentioning Babyface probably says a lot. Always found it interesting Babyface went solo and made it really big but he was not The Deele's primary lead singer. I don't think he lead any song on their first album.

yeah, two singers were not used after 1988 for Laface production,but bass player Kayo was with them on all their work

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/16/21 12:36pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

thebanishedone said:

phunkdaddy said:

There was a band around 1988 out of Cincinnati, Ohio called Sharp produced by

Reggie and Vincent Calloway(formerly of Midnight Star). They were basically the new Deele.

I got a promo copy of the album and stumbled across it in my vinyl collection a few days ago.

I remember Donnie Simpson even tried to help promote them by playing their music on the show.

Their only single from the album that I know of Playboy got very little airplay in my area but it

was a pretty good album. Unfortunately they never got that push from the label. The album is floating out there on Youtube. Available should have been a smash for them.

Can't Get Enough and Can't Take My Eyes Off You are straight up Deele numbers.

i have just found them and listen to it,thank you smile i hear The DEELE in the chant vocal arrangement thats kind of The Deele thing,similar to what they did on Pebbles Girlfriend.

Interestingly enough Reggie Calloway produced the Deele debut album and the album was

fire. The Deele second album was not so much mainly because Reggie and his brother were busy

working on Midnight Star album and the label told the Deele to handle it which L.A Reid actually did and the quality of the album definitely suffered as he was just getting his feet wet in production. Material Thangz was as good as it got on that particular album. I didn't even like Sweet November which was redone by Troop several years later. Their third album turned out better as L.A Reid had cut his teeth in production. Him and Face turned out a much better 3rd Deele album but I still like

their debut album best. Easily one of my top 10 albums of that period.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/16/21 4:38pm

SoulAlive

phunkdaddy said:

thebanishedone said:

i have just found them and listen to it,thank you smile i hear The DEELE in the chant vocal arrangement thats kind of The Deele thing,similar to what they did on Pebbles Girlfriend.

Interestingly enough Reggie Calloway produced the Deele debut album and the album was

fire. The Deele second album was not so much mainly because Reggie and his brother were busy

working on Midnight Star album and the label told the Deele to handle it which L.A Reid actually did and the quality of the album definitely suffered as he was just getting his feet wet in production. Material Thangz was as good as it got on that particular album. I didn't even like Sweet November which was redone by Troop several years later.

the second album had an excellent slow jam called "I'll Send You Roses",which should have been a single music

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/16/21 10:37pm

thebanishedone

phunkdaddy said:



thebanishedone said:




phunkdaddy said:


There was a band around 1988 out of Cincinnati, Ohio called Sharp produced by


Reggie and Vincent Calloway(formerly of Midnight Star). They were basically the new Deele.


I got a promo copy of the album and stumbled across it in my vinyl collection a few days ago.


I remember Donnie Simpson even tried to help promote them by playing their music on the show.


Their only single from the album that I know of Playboy got very little airplay in my area but it


was a pretty good album. Unfortunately they never got that push from the label. The album is floating out there on Youtube. Available should have been a smash for them.


Can't Get Enough and Can't Take My Eyes Off You are straight up Deele numbers.



i have just found them and listen to it,thank you smile i hear The DEELE in the chant vocal arrangement thats kind of The Deele thing,similar to what they did on Pebbles Girlfriend.




Interestingly enough Reggie Calloway produced the Deele debut album and the album was


fire. The Deele second album was not so much mainly because Reggie and his brother were busy


working on Midnight Star album and the label told the Deele to handle it which L.A Reid actually did and the quality of the album definitely suffered as he was just getting his feet wet in production. Material Thangz was as good as it got on that particular album. I didn't even like Sweet November which was redone by Troop several years later. Their third album turned out better as L.A Reid had cut his teeth in production. Him and Face turned out a much better 3rd Deele album but I still like


their debut album best. Easily one of my top 10 albums of that period.


For me Stimulate is my jam
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/17/21 4:25pm

hardwork

"Shoot'em Up Movies" was the shit.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/17/21 4:29pm

hardwork

Being from Cincinatti, I wonder if the Deele had any relations to or connections with the members of RAMP. RAMP was a few years ahead of the Deele's time - their only LP came out in 1977. Eintirely different vibe, but sometimes its a (very) small world.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Question about The Deele