independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Mariah Carey - Rarities
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/01/20 9:12pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Mariah Carey - Rarities

More behind the Variety link.

mc-rarities.jpg?w=600

Mariah Carey has always been about control: over her career, sure, but also over her extraordinary voice, which is her greatest asset as a performer. And that voice is in full bloom on “The Rarities,” her new compilation of previously unreleased and low-profile B-sides.

Although releasing an album of rarities and outtakes can be like sharing baby pictures with the world, based on the evidence presented here, Mariah never really had much of an awkward stage. Even though this is a collection of tracks that, for whatever reason, didn’t make the final cut of her studio albums, she never lets us see her sweat and she’s not about to start now, so don’t expect to find any stains here.

She can be heard saying “the end of that was iffy” during the outro of the opener, “Here We Go Again,” a previously unreleased track recorded for “Mariah Carey” that would have sounded comfortable sitting next to “Someday.” For the most part, though, these rarities would have passed muster on any Mariah long-player as, at worst, harmless filler and, at best, above-average album tracks. Likewise, her vocal delivery has always been impeccable, and while her lyricism has improved dramatically over time, none of the sentiments on songs like “Can You Hear Me” and “Do You Ever Think of Me” — an outtake from her 1991 sophomore album “Emotions” and the B-side of her “Dreamlover” single, respectively — would have been out of place on a Celine Dion album from the same era.



"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/01/20 9:14pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

From Wikipedia: In August 2020, Carey announced she will release an album called The Rarities on October 2, 2020, with its lead single "Save the Day" featuring Lauryn Hill released on August 20. The album will include rare and unreleased songs that she recorded at various stages of her career.

On September 13, 2020, Carey released the music video for "Save the Day" as part of the airing of the U.S. Open.

On September 17, 2020, Carey released the second single from the album, "Out Here on My Own", a cover of the Irene Cara song, which she originally recorded in 2000.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/02/20 7:14pm

IfItAintToy

Let's change the thread to Letoya Jackson- rarities. Pleeease.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/02/20 11:38pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

IfItAintToy said:

Let's change the thread to Letoya Jackson- rarities. Pleeease.


Who is Letoya Jackson?

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/03/20 9:09am

kitbradley

avatar

Listening to the CD now. The vault tracks and B-sides are simply astonishing!!! And glad to have "Slipping Away" finally remastered! music music music

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/03/20 3:37pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

kitbradley said:

Listening to the CD now. The vault tracks and B-sides are simply astonishing!!! And glad to have "Slipping Away" finally remastered! music music music


That first track is great. How it never ended up as a Bside or bonus track is beyond me.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/08/20 9:49am

Dalia11

I will buy the CD soon! Mariah/Ms. Aries, one of my favorie singers.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/10/20 4:46pm

eduJ

avatar

HUGE fan but first time hearing the original Firecracker version of "Loverboy". Gotta say I much prefer the re-worked Cameo-sampled single that was eventually released. Fits in better with the sound/vibe of Glitter too. So yeah, f-you AND thank you Tommy.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/10/20 8:16pm

kitbradley

avatar

eduJ said:

HUGE fan but first time hearing the original Firecracker version of "Loverboy". Gotta say I much prefer the re-worked Cameo-sampled single that was eventually released. Fits in better with the sound/vibe of Glitter too. So yeah, f-you AND thank you Tommy.

I never cared for "Loverboy" in any form. But, yes, the original version on this latest CD is inferior to what appeared on the soundtrack. It was one of two clunkers (the other one being "Save the Day") on the otherwise excellent "Rarities" CD.







[Edited 10/10/20 20:17pm]

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/10/20 8:48pm

eduJ

avatar

Anyone hear listening to the memoir audiobook version of The Meaning? Was there a thread I missed?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/13/20 2:07am

Hamad

avatar

“Slipping Away” is coming back in full force with pristine quality and I’m absolutely here for it ♥️ I always thought Mariah had her best ensemble when she had the Price sisters and Melodie Daniels (I hope I got her name right). All four ladies complimented each other’s voice like butter & honey, and I loved their chemistry together.
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLH82
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/13/20 7:13am

Cinny

avatar

I actually don't like the mastering on that. sad

kitbradley said:

And glad to have "Slipping Away" finally remastered!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/13/20 8:09am

kitbradley

avatar

Cinny said:

I actually don't like the mastering on that. sad

kitbradley said:

And glad to have "Slipping Away" finally remastered!

On the "Rarities" CD? It's a huge improvement over the original mastering from the B-Side of the "Always Be My Baby" CD single.

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/13/20 7:50pm

slyjackson

Cinny said:

I actually don't like the mastering on that. sad

kitbradley said:

And glad to have "Slipping Away" finally remastered!

ove that song, can''t get why this and One Night didn't make it into Daydream album, as well as Everything Fades and Do You Think into Music Box, but agree with you Slipping doesn't sound that great, I don't know exactly what it is.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/13/20 7:51pm

slyjackson

TrivialPursuit said:

More behind the Variety link.

mc-rarities.jpg?w=600

Mariah Carey has always been about control: over her career, sure, but also over her extraordinary voice, which is her greatest asset as a performer. And that voice is in full bloom on “The Rarities,” her new compilation of previously unreleased and low-profile B-sides.

Although releasing an album of rarities and outtakes can be like sharing baby pictures with the world, based on the evidence presented here, Mariah never really had much of an awkward stage. Even though this is a collection of tracks that, for whatever reason, didn’t make the final cut of her studio albums, she never lets us see her sweat and she’s not about to start now, so don’t expect to find any stains here.

She can be heard saying “the end of that was iffy” during the outro of the opener, “Here We Go Again,” a previously unreleased track recorded for “Mariah Carey” that would have sounded comfortable sitting next to “Someday.” For the most part, though, these rarities would have passed muster on any Mariah long-player as, at worst, harmless filler and, at best, above-average album tracks. Likewise, her vocal delivery has always been impeccable, and while her lyricism has improved dramatically over time, none of the sentiments on songs like “Can You Hear Me” and “Do You Ever Think of Me” — an outtake from her 1991 sophomore album “Emotions” and the B-side of her “Dreamlover” single, respectively — would have been out of place on a Celine Dion album from the same era.



FIllers? what the fuck did they smoke¡?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/14/20 8:42am

paisleypark4

avatar

slyjackson said:



TrivialPursuit said:


More behind the Variety link.

mc-rarities.jpg?w=600


Mariah Carey has always been about control: over her career, sure, but also over her extraordinary voice, which is her greatest asset as a performer. And that voice is in full bloom on “The Rarities,” her new compilation of previously unreleased and low-profile B-sides.


Although releasing an album of rarities and outtakes can be like sharing baby pictures with the world, based on the evidence presented here, Mariah never really had much of an awkward stage. Even though this is a collection of tracks that, for whatever reason, didn’t make the final cut of her studio albums, she never lets us see her sweat and she’s not about to start now, so don’t expect to find any stains here.


She can be heard saying “the end of that was iffy” during the outro of the opener, “Here We Go Again,” a previously unreleased track recorded for “Mariah Carey” that would have sounded comfortable sitting next to “Someday.” For the most part, though, these rarities would have passed muster on any Mariah long-player as, at worst, harmless filler and, at best, above-average album tracks. Likewise, her vocal delivery has always been impeccable, and while her lyricism has improved dramatically over time, none of the sentiments on songs like “Can You Hear Me” and “Do You Ever Think of Me” — an outtake from her 1991 sophomore album “Emotions” and the B-side of her “Dreamlover” single, respectively — would have been out of place on a Celine Dion album from the same era.






FIllers? what the fuck did they smoke¡?



Cool On You in my opinion is a filler. Terrible track. The rest of them are nice / have their place. Lullaby of Birdland was a surprise. Really love her jazz styling.
Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/14/20 10:08am

eduJ

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

slyjackson said:

FIllers? what the fuck did they smoke¡?

Cool On You in my opinion is a filler. Terrible track. The rest of them are nice / have their place. Lullaby of Birdland was a surprise. Really love her jazz styling.

Agree. Wouldn't mind an entire jazz album or tour. Its in her wheelhouse now more than ever.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/14/20 10:50am

alphastreet

eduJ said:

HUGE fan but first time hearing the original Firecracker version of "Loverboy". Gotta say I much prefer the re-worked Cameo-sampled single that was eventually released. Fits in better with the sound/vibe of Glitter too. So yeah, f-you AND thank you Tommy.



Yeah I also like loverboy better with how it turned out. The firecracker sample doesn’t work that well with it in my opinion.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Mariah Carey - Rarities