independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Janet: Again vs. Every time
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/26/20 5:38pm

alphastreet

Janet: Again vs. Every time

Which Janet ballad in c major is better and why?

Love both but I think Again is one of her greatest songs
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/26/20 8:51pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

While she's my #1 gal, i'm fucking tired of "Again." It's well written, well produced, catchy, simple, melodic - all the good shit for a ballad. But fucking hell if I hear that song one more time, I'll spit.

"Every Time" almost feels like ...too simple or something. Maybe it feels like a pre-Control throwback in some way. But if I had to choose, I'd pick this one since it's not been drilled into my head nearly as much.

I'd counter both of those with "I Get Lonely" from TVR or "Lonely" from RN1814.

Just when U think U've got more than enough, that's when it all up and flies away.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/26/20 9:45pm

alphastreet

I guess again was overplayed back in the day
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/26/20 11:24pm

slyjackson

Again, but I like both, as I'm just starting to get into Janet's music I don't have that problem of overplaying anything from hers.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/27/20 6:47am

alphastreet

That’s awesome you’re discovering her
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/27/20 11:12am

onlyforaminute

Love them both but Again gives me those shivers.
If you carry the egg basket do not dance.

Do good, then throw it into the sea.

#octavia tried to tell us
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/27/20 12:15pm

alphastreet

onlyforaminute said:

Love them both but Again gives me those shivers.


I know exactly what you mean!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/27/20 7:22pm

beast44

onlyforaminute said:

Love them both but Again gives me those shivers.

I feel you. I gotta go with Again. I like Every Time too, but Again is one of her best IMO.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/27/20 8:36pm

slyjackson

alphastreet said:

That’s awesome you’re discovering her

Yeah, her latest album is great, specially the ballads.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/27/20 11:56pm

phillymonster

Every Time, by far. One of the best songs of the 1990s.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/28/20 10:32am

alphastreet

slyjackson said:



alphastreet said:


That’s awesome you’re discovering her

Yeah, her latest album is great, specially the ballads.



Unbreakable is awesome! I think after you fall is one of her best ballads
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/28/20 11:35am

purplepolitici
an

avatar

I Get Lonely is the joint woot!. Don't recall Every Time 🤔. Agree also about getting the shivers during Again especially towards the end ("hold me, don't ever let me go" whistle). 1 of my favorites 😀.

Edit: Now I remember Everytime, the video at least mr.green. Definitely Again 😁.
[Edited 5/28/20 11:45am]
For all time I am with you, you are with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/28/20 12:05pm

alphastreet

purplepolitician said:

I Get Lonely is the joint woot!. Don't recall Every Time 🤔. Agree also about getting the shivers during Again especially towards the end ("hold me, don't ever let me go" whistle). 1 of my favorites 😀.

Edit: Now I remember Everytime, the video at least mr.green. Definitely Again 😁.
[Edited 5/28/20 11:45am]


Also love I get lonely! Was playing it today in fact
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/28/20 9:41pm

datdude

Again was Oscar nominated and #1 for a reason. gorgeous video (she looked like a whole 5 course meal plus dessert) that launched the career of the male lead (just like Love Will Never Do did for Djimon Hansou). Every Time didn't find much chart success, but gorgeous video despite the colored contacts which i hated, but unique, honest, vulnerable ballad from her catalogue. both of these fall into a different category of her ballads, and not the BABY-MAKING ones she's most known for. THAT list is way more extensive and hard to rank

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/28/20 10:21pm

slyjackson

alphastreet said:

slyjackson said:

Yeah, her latest album is great, specially the ballads.

Unbreakable is awesome! I think after you fall is one of her best ballads

Yeah, that was the song I did not remember the name, but I was going to mention it. Beautiful song but way too short.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/29/20 8:39am

alphastreet

slyjackson said:



alphastreet said:


slyjackson said:


Yeah, her latest album is great, specially the ballads.



Unbreakable is awesome! I think after you fall is one of her best ballads

Yeah, that was the song I did not remember the name, but I was going to mention it. Beautiful song but way too short.



Yeah it’s short, but I remember instantly loving it when she debuted it on the unbreakable tour. I feel like she’s singing about mj on it
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/29/20 8:40am

alphastreet

datdude said:

Again was Oscar nominated and #1 for a reason. gorgeous video (she looked like a whole 5 course meal plus dessert) that launched the career of the male lead (just like Love Will Never Do did for Djimon Hansou). Every Time didn't find much chart success, but gorgeous video despite the colored contacts which i hated, but unique, honest, vulnerable ballad from her catalogue. both of these fall into a different category of her ballads, and not the BABY-MAKING ones she's most known for. THAT list is way more extensive and hard to rank



Love the fact it was nominated but wish it won, it was well deserved
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/30/20 11:57pm

slyjackson

alphastreet said:

slyjackson said:

Yeah, that was the song I did not remember the name, but I was going to mention it. Beautiful song but way too short.

Yeah it’s short, but I remember instantly loving it when she debuted it on the unbreakable tour. I feel like she’s singing about mj on it

Yes, I have read others pointing out that it could be about MJ.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/31/20 2:39pm

alphastreet

slyjackson said:



alphastreet said:


slyjackson said:


Yeah, that was the song I did not remember the name, but I was going to mention it. Beautiful song but way too short.



Yeah it’s short, but I remember instantly loving it when she debuted it on the unbreakable tour. I feel like she’s singing about mj on it

Yes, I have read others pointing out that it could be about MJ.



Yeah totally
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/01/20 2:15am

TonyVanDam

avatar

My vote goe to Again.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/02/20 8:18am

Cinny

avatar

Someone pointed out "Again" sounds like "My Grown-Up Christmas List" by David Foster and Linda Thompson-Jenner. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/02/20 9:38am

alphastreet

Cinny said:

Someone pointed out "Again" sounds like "My Grown-Up Christmas List" by David Foster and Linda Thompson-Jenner. lol



Never heard of it
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/03/20 7:11am

Cinny

avatar

alphastreet said:

Cinny said:

Someone pointed out "Again" sounds like "My Grown-Up Christmas List" by David Foster and Linda Thompson-Jenner. lol

Never heard of it


May not be on your radar but I bet you have, though! smile

Do you remember meee

[Edited 6/3/20 7:12am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/03/20 8:11am

Shawy89

avatar

I prefer Every Time, I love the crisp production and Janet's dreamy, sensual vocals. I actually think its arrangement, for a C Major song, is pretty melodic. Love the instrumentation and the strings, the sonic quality (It still sounds fresh today). Just a beautiful ballad.

Again is a great ballad too.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/03/20 10:27am

alphastreet

Shawy89 said:

I prefer Every Time, I love the crisp production and Janet's dreamy, sensual vocals. I actually think its arrangement, for a C Major song, is pretty melodic. Love the instrumentation and the strings, the sonic quality (It still sounds fresh today). Just a beautiful ballad.



Again is a great ballad too.



Also love the instruments in every time, and love playing it on the piano too
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Janet: Again vs. Every time