independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 11th Dec 2019 10:14pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Hmmm So Bruce Springsteen Got NO Grammy Nominations?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 11/27/19 12:06pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

lastdecember said:

I mean the fact that albums debuting at number one and get zero play attention etc.

Back in the 1970s acts like Rush, Led Zeppelin, & Pink Floyd had high charting albums that sold a lot with little if any Top 40 airplay. They didn't have many hit singles and neither did KISS, Iron Maiden, AC/DC or Black Sabbath. Yet you can buy a KISS Kasket to be buried in, so that says something about the popularity of KISS. Grateful Dead only had one Top 40 hit and that happened in the mid 1980s, long after they debuted in the 1960s. Dark Side Of The Moon remained on the album chart for over a decade. Van Halen's debut went diamond and there weren't any big hits on it. So there were performers in the past that were popular without mainstream pop radio attention.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 11/27/19 12:21pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

lastdecember said:

Bon Jovi is in his early 50's

First you said 40s and I mentioned Maroon 5 & John Legend and now it's 50s. Who was over 50 in the 1980s and got Top 40 airplay? Tina Turner, Paul Simon, & Aretha Franklin were not over 50 then.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 11/27/19 6:29pm

homesquid

avatar

thedoorkeeper said:

Have you listened to Springsteen's last album? IMO it isn't that great.

IMO it's a masterpiece- best thing he's done since "Tunnel Of Love"

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 11/28/19 12:17am

rdhull

avatar

lol lol

homesquid said:

thedoorkeeper said:

Have you listened to Springsteen's last album? IMO it isn't that great.

IMO it's a masterpiece- best thing he's done since "Tunnel Of Love"

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 11/28/19 5:25am

lastdecember

avatar

MickyDolenz said:



lastdecember said:


Bon Jovi is in his early 50's

First you said 40s and I mentioned Maroon 5 & John Legend and now it's 50s. Who was over 50 in the 1980s and got Top 40 airplay? Tina Turner, Paul Simon, & Aretha Franklin were not over 50 then.



Jovi is in his 50’s now but his AirPlay was gone after “It’s my life” which though on radio was not a big single chart wise, and he was 38 when that came out. Springsteen is 70 now but his last hit was almost thirty years ago with “Streets of Philadelphia” that’s really the end of his AirPlay. Also being popular media wise is different from actually being played, John legend voted sexiest man is far from actually having music chart, he’s a musician not a model. As for maroon 5 they too are seeing the age thing hit, that too is also a media thing Adam kept hs face in the spotlight and on TV.

"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 11/28/19 5:27am

lastdecember

avatar

MickyDolenz said:



lastdecember said:


I mean the fact that albums debuting at number one and get zero play attention etc.



Back in the 1970s acts like Rush, Led Zeppelin, & Pink Floyd had high charting albums that sold a lot with little if any Top 40 airplay. They didn't have many hit singles and neither did KISS, Iron Maiden, AC/DC or Black Sabbath. Yet you can buy a KISS Kasket to be buried in, so that says something about the popularity of KISS. Grateful Dead only had one Top 40 hit and that happened in the mid 1980s, long after they debuted in the 1960s. Dark Side Of The Moon remained on the album chart for over a decade. Van Halen's debut went diamond and there weren't any big hits on it. So there were performers in the past that were popular without mainstream pop radio attention.



This is true to a point, however if the charts were counted today like then, all would have radio hits. Pink Floyd used to get the whole album played but did not release singles, as did Zeppelin also, stairway to Heaven was a radio staple but not a physical release, today you can chart your whole album in one week and be gone next week.

"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 11/28/19 10:26am

MickyDolenz

avatar

lastdecember said:

Jovi is in his 50’s now but his AirPlay was gone after “It’s my life” which though on radio was not a big single chart wise, and he was 38 when that came out. Springsteen is 70 now but his last hit was almost thirty years ago with “Streets of Philadelphia” that’s really the end of his AirPlay. Also being popular media wise is different from actually being played, John legend voted sexiest man is far from actually having music chart, he’s a musician not a model. As for maroon 5 they too are seeing the age thing hit, that too is also a media thing Adam kept hs face in the spotlight and on TV.

Even if Bon Jovi & Bruce Springsteen were young, it's doubtful they would get Top 40 airplay today because they do not make the kind of music that is popular with the general public. Which mainly is hip hop, contemporary country, & Ariana Grande/Taylor Swift style singers. Plus Springsteen is solo, most popular albums today are full of collabos & features. Basically what I was saying about the Frank Sinatra duets albums. That's how Drake has more appearances on the Hot 100 than anyone else. DJ Khaled is popular because his songs have currently hot singers & rappers on them. Khaled remixed the song played during the credits on the live action Disney Aladdin and that movie made over a billion. The movie also has the Fresh Prince playing the Genie. Plus there's the popularity of the Broadway play Hamilton. Before the Queen biopic, Straight Outta Compton about NWA was the highest grossing music biopic. Cardi B & Lizzo were in the popular movie Hustlers. So that tells how mainstream hip hop is today.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 11/28/19 10:38am

MickyDolenz

avatar

lastdecember said:

This is true to a point, however if the charts were counted today like then, all would have radio hits. Pink Floyd used to get the whole album played but did not release singles, as did Zeppelin also, stairway to Heaven was a radio staple but not a physical release, today you can chart your whole album in one week and be gone next week.

Not really, because they usually did not get a lot of airplay on Top 40, which rarely played album tracks anyway. It was Album Oriented Rock (AOR) stations that would play entire albums. There was a separate chart for AOR, but a lot of it did not crossover to pop radio. Today's charts are not only radio play & sales of 45s, but streaming as well. A certain amount of streams is also considered the sale of 1 album, but nobody bought anything. In the past, sales from record clubs (12 albums for a penny!) and cutouts were not counted as sales by the RIAA.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 11/28/19 3:40pm

Marrk

avatar

Who gives a fuck about a goddamn grammy? - PE.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 11/28/19 5:38pm

lastdecember

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

lastdecember said:

Jovi is in his 50’s now but his AirPlay was gone after “It’s my life” which though on radio was not a big single chart wise, and he was 38 when that came out. Springsteen is 70 now but his last hit was almost thirty years ago with “Streets of Philadelphia” that’s really the end of his AirPlay. Also being popular media wise is different from actually being played, John legend voted sexiest man is far from actually having music chart, he’s a musician not a model. As for maroon 5 they too are seeing the age thing hit, that too is also a media thing Adam kept hs face in the spotlight and on TV.

Even if Bon Jovi & Bruce Springsteen were young, it's doubtful they would get Top 40 airplay today because they do not make the kind of music that is popular with the general public. Which mainly is hip hop, contemporary country, & Ariana Grande/Taylor Swift style singers. Plus Springsteen is solo, most popular albums today are full of collabos & features. Basically what I was saying about the Frank Sinatra duets albums. That's how Drake has more appearances on the Hot 100 than anyone else. DJ Khaled is popular because his songs have currently hot singers & rappers on them. Khaled remixed the song played during the credits on the live action Disney Aladdin and that movie made over a billion. The movie also has the Fresh Prince playing the Genie. Plus there's the popularity of the Broadway play Hamilton. Before the Queen biopic, Straight Outta Compton about NWA was the highest grossing music biopic. Cardi B & Lizzo were in the popular movie Hustlers. So that tells how mainstream hip hop is today.

But again its still mainly about your age. But even that backfires on most, take Camilla Cabello readying her second album to be released next week, the label is already praying and banking on her touring, all singles have failed despite going on tv and award shows, and doing the same type of music that an Ariana is doing, but Camilla is not going to appeal to the general public mainly because Ariana and her friend Taylor are more of the lighter persuasion as Prince would say, that is mainly the reason for the public not being able to put her in homes not just on the Coasts but have her appeal to the middle of country. I will say that ROCK is non existent mainly because like you say its not the appeal, the Rock ballad the whatever is gone mainly because there has not been a band that has done a damn thing with the genre and really let it die, those still doing it wont get played because they are OLD even if they released a song with Taylor Swift they wouldnt get played. As for DRAKE charting all those times I dont take that serious nor do i consider singles now SINGLES mainly because you can chart your whole album with no airplay, this is why week one an artist can chart seven of their ten songs in the top 40, I dont equate that with say the Bee Gees or the Beatles holding down half the top 10 with real singles that people had to go buy, now you dont even have to stream a song all the way or view a full You tube link to get things registered, this is why Instagram is looking into fake paid for LIKES, not sure why it took them a decade to catch on to this pretty much as it was all done out in the open, fake accounts liking things, etc... But all this was brought on way back in the 90's with soundscan and now that its not relevant artists still try gimmicks like selling an energy drink with a download of a new record, its all about week one still, albums now or should i say new music from an artist now, pretty much is gone in about 10-14 days, if even that.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 11/28/19 7:03pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

lastdecember said:

But all this was brought on way back in the 90's with soundscan and now that its not relevant artists still try gimmicks like selling an energy drink with a download of a new record, its all about week one still, albums now or should i say new music from an artist now, pretty much is gone in about 10-14 days, if even that.

Video games has taken over the popularity that buying records/tapes/CDs had decades ago. Game discs are what regularly get the big sales now like Red Dead, GTA, DC/Marvel superheroes, Call Of Duty, etc. They're even trying to get gaming into the Olympics. Music was probably more important in the past because there was less competition for entertainment. A lot of people today get their entertainment from staring at their phones to the point that laws were made about texting & driving.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 11/29/19 5:44am

lastdecember

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

lastdecember said:

But all this was brought on way back in the 90's with soundscan and now that its not relevant artists still try gimmicks like selling an energy drink with a download of a new record, its all about week one still, albums now or should i say new music from an artist now, pretty much is gone in about 10-14 days, if even that.

Video games has taken over the popularity that buying records/tapes/CDs had decades ago. Game discs are what regularly get the big sales now like Red Dead, GTA, DC/Marvel superheroes, Call Of Duty, etc. They're even trying to get gaming into the Olympics. Music was probably more important in the past because there was less competition for entertainment. A lot of people today get their entertainment from staring at their phones to the point that laws were made about texting & driving.

I said this years ago that MUSIC is now the after thought, its the "add on sale". I pointed out last week when I was listening to Eddie Trunk's show he was talking about album lives now and how some just dont get the fact that its those first week sales and how the record is gone, its all about your tour and merch and meet and greets etc...But Eddie pointed out artists and labels now dont even talk about you BUYING the actual music, a giant poster for Ed Sheeran the biggest artist out now in this mainstream, his ad for his record doesnt say buy this at such and such, its you can listen to it at such and such. So its really interesting how the younger artists are all about getting you to stream it, and the older ones with new music can still get you to purchase it in some form, be it Amazon or even from them personally, theyll sign it for a few extra bucks and make more money than they would if 10,000 people streamed it.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 11/29/19 6:46pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

lastdecember said:

So its really interesting how the younger artists are all about getting you to stream it, and the older ones with new music can still get you to purchase it in some form, be it Amazon or even from them personally, theyll sign it for a few extra bucks and make more money than they would if 10,000 people streamed it.

Most acts didn't make much money from record sales pre-internet. Because they signed bad label contracts or got ripped off by managers or concert promoters. Even the artists who became rich only got a small percentage compared to what the labels got. Contracts were generally designed to keep the artists in the hole. Everything was charged to the artist (ig. studio time, promotion, music videos, etc.), and didn't get royalties unless they sold enough to get out of the hole. Charlie Wilson has said The Gap Band didn't make much of anything, because Lonnie Simmons took most of the royalties and the touring profits and his name was on the houses they lived in. The only difference now is that the labels are not making as much money so they sign the acts to 360 deals to get touring & merchandising money from them.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 12/04/19 10:36am

kygermo

Never would happen regardless, but the new Tool album should have been one of the nominees for AOTY. That quip aside, fuck the Grammys.

"Thin line 'tween Heaven and Here..."

When I can (or when the mood strikes), I write stuff on a blog I've created. Mostly music-related. Site link here: rockhardinafunkyplace.wordpress.com
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Hmmm So Bruce Springsteen Got NO Grammy Nominations?