independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 25th Aug 2019 9:31pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Jane Child, don't wanna fall in love.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/15/19 8:28am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Jane Child, don't wanna fall in love.

White soulllll:

https://www.youtube.com/w...Wd__w5UWVc

Night beat.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/15/19 12:13pm

alphastreet

Love this song! Her look in the video was so ahead of its time
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/15/19 4:59pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

I remember a lot of people talking about her as the female Prince at WB, because she wrote & produced everything. Yet somehow she ended up being a one-hit wonder. Too bad, because she was so different, funky, and talented.

That song, though, it still fire. To take a common phrase and renegotiate it is a moment.

I don’t wanna fall in love
Love cuts just like a knife
You make the knife feel good
I’ll fight you to the end, baby




This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/16/19 6:11am

kitbradley

avatar

https://www.youtube.com/w..._7tGDJF2S0

I always preferred the Teddy Riley remix to the album version. This is what they were playing on black radio and got her in the Top Ten on the Billboard R&B Singles charts.







[Edited 7/16/19 6:13am]

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/16/19 7:58am

alphastreet

Nice remix
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/16/19 9:31am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

kitbradley said:

https://www.youtube.com/w..._7tGDJF2S0

I always preferred the Teddy Riley remix to the album version. This is what they were playing on black radio and got her in the Top Ten on the Billboard R&B Singles charts.


I have to say, I don't like it. Not that it isn't danceable or something, but it feels blanded down by some New Jack mediocrity. I'm all about New Jack Swing, but it doesn't belong on this song. It feels more like a New Edition/Jane Child mash-up than a remix compliments the original track. Those heavy synths, and funky bass track on the original just can't be beat.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/16/19 10:52am

MickyDolenz

avatar

kitbradley said:

I always preferred the Teddy Riley remix to the album version. This is what they were playing on black radio and got her in the Top Ten on the Billboard R&B Singles charts

Where I lived, both R&B and Top 40 radio stations played the Teddy Riley version. They played the original mix when it first came out. When the remix came out, the R&B station stopped playing the album version altogether. The pop stations would alternate betweern the 2, but the remix would get played more. There used to be a local radio station that only played the full length 12" versions of songs and they obviously played the Teddy version. I have the maxi single and there's several versions remixed by Teddy. There's an interview where Teddy talks about how he got involved with this remix and that at the time it helped him financially.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/16/19 11:36am

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

avatar

One of the most perfect pop songs ever!! Forget the Teddy Riley remix, the original!!!! <3

2010: Healing the Wounds of the Past.... http://prince.org/msg/8/325740
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/16/19 11:42am

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

kitbradley said:

https://www.youtube.com/w..._7tGDJF2S0

I always preferred the Teddy Riley remix to the album version. This is what they were playing on black radio and got her in the Top Ten on the Billboard R&B Singles charts.


I have to say, I don't like it. Not that it isn't danceable or something, but it feels blanded down by some New Jack mediocrity. I'm all about New Jack Swing, but it doesn't belong on this song. It feels more like a New Edition/Jane Child mash-up than a remix compliments the original track. Those heavy synths, and funky bass track on the original just can't be beat.

So, agree. the Remix took every single bite out of the song. Original forever!! <3

2010: Healing the Wounds of the Past.... http://prince.org/msg/8/325740
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/16/19 11:18pm

mltijchr

avatar

for me, I've ALWAYS preferred the Teddy Riley version.

I haven't heard the original in so long, right now I should click on the video link

to hear what that sounds like..

I'll see you tonight..
in ALL MY DREAMS..
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/17/19 11:29am

JabarR74

MickyDolenz said:

kitbradley said:

I always preferred the Teddy Riley remix to the album version. This is what they were playing on black radio and got her in the Top Ten on the Billboard R&B Singles charts

Where I lived, both R&B and Top 40 radio stations played the Teddy Riley version. They played the original mix when it first came out. When the remix came out, the R&B station stopped playing the album version altogether. The pop stations would alternate betweern the 2, but the remix would get played more. There used to be a local radio station that only played the full length 12" versions of songs and they obviously played the Teddy version. I have the maxi single and there's several versions remixed by Teddy. There's an interview where Teddy talks about how he got involved with this remix and that at the time it helped him financially.

Here's Teddy talking about how the Remix saved his career at 10:09

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/17/19 5:15pm

Militant

avatar

moderator

Huge, huge fan. Have her album and the maxi singles.

I'm also a huge Teddy Riley fan, but I have to agree that the original mix of this track is the much better version.

Now, here's a weird one that I've never managed to find an answer to.

The second single, "Welcome To The Real World" has a maxi single with various remixes on it. They appear to have been done by Steve Hodge, who is Jam & Lewis' longtime engineer.

The weird thing is that Jam & Lewis are listed as the executive producers of the single, despite having nothing to do with it musically, and it not being released on their label, either.

I can only surmise that this was due to Steve having a close relationship with them, and the fact that Prof T and Lance Alexander from the group Lo-Key also worked on the remixes in some capacity. Lo-Key were signed to Perspective, J&L's label. It could also be that it was simply good PR to have their names associated with it, since Riley working on DWFIL remix had broken her some ground on R&B radio.

Still, always found it a bit odd that they're listed as exec producers on something that they didn't produce or remix themselves.



 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/17/19 5:21pm

alphastreet

Yeah I can see why they put them for pr reasons. The song sounds a little bit like escapade to me
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/17/19 6:06pm

Militant

avatar

moderator

Just saw an old interview with Jane where she mentions that she heard that Prince liked her album cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/17/19 10:39pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

alphastreet said:

Love this song! Her look in the video was so ahead of its time

yeahthat

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/18/19 8:42am

domainator2010

aaah fond memories smile

a little too electronic for my taste sometimes, but not at other times smile

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/18/19 10:56am

Derek1984

avatar

Did the remix really save Teddy's career? Cuz when this was just about done, MJ called and the rest is history.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/18/19 11:56am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Derek1984 said:

Did the remix really save Teddy's career? Cuz when this was just about done, MJ called and the rest is history.


LOL New Jack was around from the late 80s through the mid-90s. Teddy was at the head of it all, despite others doing it. This remix isn't that great, and Teddy would work with MJ soon after, if not at the same time (cuz it takes MJ forever to do an album sometimes, and Dangerous was out only a couple of years after this remix). So nah - it wasn't that impactful, IMO.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/18/19 2:26pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

Derek1984 said:

Did the remix really save Teddy's career?

I don't know if it saved his career or not, just that it was a big financial help to him. In the interview, Teddy says this was not that long after he split with Gene Griffin and he was broke. I think Teddy had signed a bad contract with Guy. Teddy was offered a lot of money by Benny Medina to remix Don't Wanna Fall In Love, to save the record. I guess it wasn't selling that well. The interview is with Red Bull Academy. It's a long interview and I think the Jane Child part is at the middle somewhere

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/24/19 11:50am

TylerTheDebate
r

kitbradley said:

https://www.youtube.com/w..._7tGDJF2S0

I always preferred the Teddy Riley remix to the album version. This is what they were playing on black radio and got her in the Top Ten on the Billboard R&B Singles charts.







[Edited 7/16/19 6:13am]

That Teddy Riley Remix = FUEGO
got the CD single just to get them all.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/24/19 12:31pm

kitbradley

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

Derek1984 said:

Did the remix really save Teddy's career?

I don't know if it saved his career or not, just that it was a big financial help to him. In the interview, Teddy says this was not that long after he split with Gene Griffin and he was broke. I think Teddy had signed a bad contract with Guy. Teddy was offered a lot of money by Benny Medina to remix Don't Wanna Fall In Love, to save the record. I guess it wasn't selling that well. The interview is with Red Bull Academy. It's a long interview and I think the Jane Child part is at the middle somewhere

I believe Teddy's remix definately made the single bigger than it would have been. She certainly would not have made it into the Top 10 on the R&B charts without the remix. biggrin And it was the only hit from the album. The title track didn't do well and subsequent singles failed to make an impact. She recorded a follow-up album with Warner Brothers a couple years later that I found out about a few years ago. No hit singles came from it.

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/24/19 8:44pm

natechi

avatar

Love Jane Child! Great artist - wish she released more music. Her website hasn't been updated in years. Hope she resurfaces!!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/27/19 1:25am

TrcikyChristop
her

Militant said:

Just saw an old interview with Jane where she mentions that she heard that Prince liked her album cool

The original video for "Don't Wanna Fall In Love" showed it credited as coming from Paisley Park Records/WBR, even though the album and single were directly from Warner. The Paisley credit ended up removed for some reason. It may have been added by mistake,, although that's a pretty inmteresting mistake to make if the video is labeled correctly.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/30/19 2:36pm

BlaqueKnight

avatar

Jane is a brilliant artist and has some very impressive work under her belt.
Just check out Heavy Smile, Welcome To The Real World, LootSville, Mona Lisa Smiles, Do Whatcha Do. Sarasvati is easily Prince-level in its intricacy and detail.
Her bass lines, especially on songs like "Calling" and "Do Whatcha Do"are so Stevie Wonder meets Funkadelic inspired it ain't even funny, but they are also very "Jane" in their expression; very melodic and lively. She has a distinct musical voice. She's one of those artists that, when you know her work, you can hear her influence in other artists.
Speaking of which, some asshat rapper "covered" (interpolated?) Don't Wanna Fall In Love", completely missing the mark and meaning of the song be re-interpreting it to be the literal meaning of the song title.

https://www.youtube.com/w...WiKGctibjk

Is it okay to hunt rappers yet? If so, where can I apply for a license?

[Edited 7/30/19 14:41pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 08/01/19 10:55am

Germanegro

It'd be cool if Jane Chile had another set of music to offer us up! headbang

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 08/03/19 12:23am

domainator2010

Germanegro said:

It'd be cool if Jane Chile had another set of music to offer us up! headbang

Is she still around? Still making music? That would be awesome..... like, she hasn't died or anything right? (with all these people all around us, I'm always a little....trepidatious).

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 08/06/19 6:45pm

lool

Not seen or heard from Jane since 2004 when she appeared on Wayne Brady's daytime talk show. She released a cover of Tina Turner's "We Don't Need Another Hero" around that time. Last I read she was living in L.A. with her husband Cat Gray who is currently musical director of the game show Let's Make A Deal.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 08/07/19 6:23am

kitbradley

avatar

lool said:

Not seen or heard from Jane since 2004 when she appeared on Wayne Brady's daytime talk show. She released a cover of Tina Turner's "We Don't Need Another Hero" around that time. Last I read she was living in L.A. with her husband Cat Gray who is currently musical director of the game show Let's Make A Deal.

I recently heard the samples of the Tina Turner Tribute album that was released a few years ago. It has the Jane Child song on it. Very different take on the original. I must say, the artists that were chosen to appear on the album were very poor. I didn't recognize most of the them. The biggest ones I saw were Deniece Williams and Darlene Love. Deniece covered "What You Get Is What You See", probably the worst Tina song she could have covered. I forget the song Darlene covered. But, no, not a good album at all. Not sure why the producers were not able to get some bigger names to appear on the album.
"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 08/07/19 9:24am

lool

kitbradley said:

I recently heard the samples of the Tina Turner Tribute album that was released a few years ago. It has the Jane Child song on it. Very different take on the original. I must say, the artists that were chosen to appear on the album were very poor. I didn't recognize most of the them. The biggest ones I saw were Deniece Williams and Darlene Love. Deniece covered "What You Get Is What You See", probably the worst Tina song she could have covered. I forget the song Darlene covered. But, no, not a good album at all. Not sure why the producers were not able to get some bigger names to appear on the album.



I recognized most of the artists. The album artwork was a clue it was going to be a low budget affair. The label is an indie that specializes in hard rock/heavy metal cover albums. The producers probably called up their friends or whoever they could get for cheap (Nancy Kerrigan...cough-cough) to contribute to it.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Jane Child, don't wanna fall in love.