independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 18th Oct 2019 6:15am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Reissue Talk #37
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/03/19 1:38am

getxxxx

avatar

Reissue Talk #37

Disco icon Patrice Rushen’s Elektra / Asylum recordings collected on new 3xLP release

A retrospective of soul, jazz and boogie from 1978 to 1984.

Legendary vocalist Patrice Rushen’s recordings for the Elektra / Asylum label are being collected in a new 3xLP compilation via Strut Records this July.

Remind Me: The Classic Elektra Recordings 1978-1984 collects all of Rushen’s chart singles, 12” versions and well-worn sample sources in one place, alongside an exclusive interview with Patrice Rushen herself and a selection of rare photos.

unnamed-66.jpg

Tracklist:

A1 Music Of The Earth
A2 Let’s Sing A Song Of Love
A3 When I Found You

B1 Haven’t You Heard (12” version)
B2 Givin’ It UP Is Givin’ Up with DJ Rogers

C1 Forget Me Nots (12” version)
C2 Look Up! (Long version)
C3 Where There Is Love

D1 Never Gonna Give You Up (Won’t Let You Be) (Long version)
D2 Number One (12” version)

E1 All We Need
E2 Remind Me (LP version)
E3 Settle For My Love

F1 Feels So Real (Won’t Let Go) (12” version)
F2 To Each His Own

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/03/19 1:40am

getxxxx

avatar

Funk trio featuring the three Wilson brothers' two albums from 1985 and 1986. 'Gap Band VI' was a US No.1 R&B chart album, with 'Gap Band VII' making 6th place. The hit singles 'Beep A Freak', 'I Found My Baby' and 'Going In Circles' were all US R&B Top Ten hits and feature in this package. This BGO compilation features several bonus tracks. At the end of the 1990s, the Gap Band stopped recording and Charlie Wilson embarked on a solo career. Digitally remastered and slipcased, and with extensive new notes.

Tracklist
[CD1: Gap Band VI]
1. The Sun Don't Shine Everyday (Inst. Interlude)
2. Video Junkie
3. Weak Spot
4. The Sun Don't Shine Everyday (Inst. Interlude)
5. I Believe
6. I Found My Baby
7. Beep A Freak
8. Don't You Leave Me
9. Disrespect
10. The Sun Don't Shine Everyday (Vocal)
Bonus Tracks:
11. Beep A Freak (12" Long Version)
12. I Found My Baby (12" Club/Dance Mix)
13. Disrespect (12" Club Mix)
14. Beep A Freak (12" Special Dance Mix)
15. I Found My Baby (12" Remix With Breakdown)

[CD2: Gap Band VII]
1. Desire
2. Going In Circles
3. Automatic Brain
4. L'il Red Funkin' Hood
5. Ooh, What A Feeling
6. I Want A Real Love
7. Bumpin' Gum People
8. I Know We'll Make It
9. I Need Your Love
Bonus Tracks:
10. Desire (12" Special Version Remix)
11. Going In Circles (12" Long Version Remix)
12. Automatic Brain (12" Club Mix)
13. Desire (12" Dub Mix)
14. Going In Circles (12" Instrumental With Harmonica)
15. Automatic Brain (12" Rap Version)

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/03/19 1:41am

getxxxx

avatar

Punk, ska, funk, rock Fishbone have certainly embraced all these types of music over a now long career. Here we twin their 1985 'Fishbone E.P.' with 1986's 'In Your Face' plus a handful of tracks recorded for Columbia as A and B sides. Fishbone are still alive and kicking today, with the original lineup bar one member. Digitally remastered and slipcased, and with new notes.

Tracklist
Fishbone E.P.:
1. Ugly
2. Another Generation
3. ? (Modern Industry)
4. Party At Ground Zero
5. V.T.T.L.O.T.F.D.G.F.
6. Lyin' Ass Bitch
In Your Face:
7. When Problems Arise
8. A Selection
9. Cholly
10. I Wish I Had A Date
11. Movement In The Light
12. Give It Up
13. In The Air
14. Turn The Other Way
15. Knock It
16. 'Simon Says' The Kingpin
17. Post Cold War Politics
Bonus Tracks:
18. Modern Industry (Edit)
19. When Problems Arise
20. Slick Nick, You Devil You
21. It's A Wonderful Life (Gonna Have A Good Time)
22. Just Call Me Scrooge
23. Iration

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/03/19 1:44am

getxxxx

avatar

SoulMusic Records is proud to present “Got To Be Real: The Columbia Anthology,” a 31-track 2-CD retrospective drawn from the six albums recorded by much-loved singer/songwriter Cheryl Lynn between 1978-1985 along with three recordings featuring her soulful distinctive vocals as a special guest.

When CBS Records signed Los Angeles-born Cheryl in 1977, it was hot on the heels of her powerhouse performance on ‘The Gong Show,’ a then-popular US television talent contest; at 21, she reluctantly entered the contest, only to emerge as the clear winner. A bidding war among major US record labels ensued and after she opted for a deal with CBS, Cheryl was paired with the production team of Marty and David Paich. The result was Cheryl’s self-titled Columbia certified gold debut album for which Cheryl co-wrote five songs including the now-classic ‘Got To Be Real’.

With further chart success via ‘Star Love’ and as a special guest on Toto’s memorable hit, ‘Georgy Porgy’, Cheryl’s recording career moved into high gear. This 2019 compilation of some of her finest work features Cheryl’s twelve subsequent US charted singles, including ‘Shake It Up Tonight’ (from the Ray Parker Jr.-produced 1981 LP, “In The Night”); ‘If This World Were Mine’, Cheryl’s sumptuous duet with Luther Vandross (who produced her 1982 LP, “Instant Love”); the Jam & Lewis-produced US R&B chart topper ‘Encore’ (from the1984 LP, “Preppie”); and 1985’s ‘At Last You’re Mine’, from the movie Heavenly Bodies.

Also included here are key cuts from Cheryl’s 1979 sophomore LP, “In Love” (produced by Barry Blue) and her 1985 swansong set, “It’s Gonna Be Right” and Cheryl’s haunting performance on famed jazz flautist Hubert Laws’ 1982 recording, ‘Goodbye For Now’.

With stellar liner notes by renowned US writer, Janine Coveney, first class mastering by Nick Robbins and great artwork from Roger Williams, this musically-satisfying compilation showcases Cheryl Lynn’s dexterity as a multi-talented songwriter and producer and as an acclaimed dance music diva, groove-maker and balladeer of the highest order.

Tracklist
[CD1: Star Love]
1. Georgy Porgy – Toto (featuring Cheryl Lynn)
2. Got To Be Real
3. All My Lovin’
4. Star Love
5. You Saved My Day (Special Version)
6. You’re The One
7. Come In From The Rain
8. In Love (7” Single Version)
9. Chances
10. I’ve Got Faith In You
11. Keep It Hot
12. Shake It Up Tonight
13. Show You How
14. In The Night
15. If You’ll Be True To Me
16. What’s On Your Mind

[CD2: If This World Were Mine]
1. Instant Love
2. Look Before Your Leap
3. I Just Wanna Be Your Fantasy
4. Day After Day
5. Goodbye For Now (Theme From “Reds”) – Hubert Laws (featuring Cheryl Lynn)
6. This Time
7. Encore (Dance Version)
8. Change The Channel
9. Preppie (12” Version)
10. Free
11. Fidelity (Special Version)
12. Fade To Black
13. Loafin’
14. At Last You’re Mine (From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack “Heavenly Bodies”)
15. If This World Were Mine (featuring Luther Vandross)

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/03/19 1:50am

getxxxx

avatar

Raw Like Suahi Nenah Cherry it’s coming this year November-ish with unreleased stuff and also something else connected to that is coming next year.

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/04/19 1:58pm

KoolEaze

avatar

Great info, thanks a lot.

I´ll probably get the Gap Band re-release.

It´s a good idea that they´re doing this. Their fanbase is old enough to appreciate physical releases, and they are more willing to spend money on the music they grew up with.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/04/19 3:11pm

jfenster

getxxxx said:

Punk, ska, funk, rock Fishbone have certainly embraced all these types of music over a now long career. Here we twin their 1985 'Fishbone E.P.' with 1986's 'In Your Face' plus a handful of tracks recorded for Columbia as A and B sides. Fishbone are still alive and kicking today, with the original lineup bar one member. Digitally remastered and slipcased, and with new notes.

Tracklist
Fishbone E.P.:
1. Ugly
2. Another Generation
3. ? (Modern Industry)
4. Party At Ground Zero
5. V.T.T.L.O.T.F.D.G.F.
6. Lyin' Ass Bitch
In Your Face:
7. When Problems Arise
8. A Selection
9. Cholly
10. I Wish I Had A Date
11. Movement In The Light
12. Give It Up
13. In The Air
14. Turn The Other Way
15. Knock It
16. 'Simon Says' The Kingpin
17. Post Cold War Politics
Bonus Tracks:
18. Modern Industry (Edit)
19. When Problems Arise
20. Slick Nick, You Devil You
21. It's A Wonderful Life (Gonna Have A Good Time)
22. Just Call Me Scrooge
23. Iration

this is the shit

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/10/19 11:52am

SoulAlive

that Patrice Rushen set seems like a good idea.Nice to see they included my favorite song by her,"Remind Me" music

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/12/19 2:10pm

getxxxx

avatar

SHALAMAR - gold (3 CD) LABEL: Crimson RELEASE: 19/07/19

Shalamar broke onto the disco scene in 1977, but 2019 marks the 40th Anniversary of the classic line-up formation of Howard Hewett, Jody Watley and Jeffrey Daniel, who set the UK charts alight throughout the early 80's with hits like 'Dead Giveaway' and 'There It Is.' From their debut discofied Motown medley, 'Uptown Festival,' Shalamar became constant hit-makers on both the US R&B charts and the UK pop charts, scoring with the dance-floor classics 'Take That To The Bank,' 'The Second Time Around' and 'Make That Move.' While promoting A Night To Remember' on 'Top of the Pops' in 1982, Jeffrey Daniel introduced UK audiences to the moon walk and started a body popping craze across the country. Their top ten album 'Friends' subsequently spent over a year on the chart and achieved platinum sales. Shalamar's current line-up of Howard, Jeffrey and Carolyn Griffey still tour regularly in the UK and have closed every year since 2010 with a sell-out show at London's 02 Arena. This 'Gold' 3CD collection, features all 24 of Shalamar's US and UK top 40 chart singles, all of which are included here in for the first time in their full-length versions and 12" disco mixes on this 42-track set.

CD 1:

1. A Night To Remember

2. The Second Time Around

3. Make That Move

4. Take That to The Bank

5. Uptown Festival

6. Right in The Socket

7. Full Of Fire

8. I Owe You One

9. There It Is

10. This Is for The Lover In You

11. Sweeter As The Days Go By

12. Ooo Baby

13. Stay Close To Love

14. Leave It All Up To Love

15. The Right Time For Us

CD 2:

1. Dead Giveaway

2. I Can Make You Feel Good

3. Talk To Me

4. Friends

5. Over And Over

6. You Can Count on Me

7. Help Me

8. You're The One For Me

9. I Don't Wanna Be The Last To Know

10. Somewhere There's A Love

11. Let's Find The Time For Love

12. I Just Stopped By Because I Had To

13. Work It Out

14. Go For It

15. Deadline U.S.A (12" Version)

16. Right Here

CD 3:

1. Dancing In the Sheets (12" Version)

2. My Girl Loves Me (12" Version)

3. Disappearing Act

4. Amnesia

5. Don't Get Stopped In Beverly Hills (12" Version)

6. Circumstantial Evidence (12" Version)

7. I Want You (To Be My Plaything) (12" Version)

8. Games (12" Version)

9. A Night To Remember (12" M+M Mix)

10. The Second Time Around (12" Disco Version)

11. Right in The Socket (12" Disco Version)

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/12/19 2:14pm

SoulAlive

It's sad that they're not out there doing some kind of 40th anniversary reunion tour confused

getxxxx said:

Shalamar broke onto the disco scene in 1977, but 2019 marks the 40th Anniversary of the classic line-up formation of Howard Hewett, Jody Watley and Jeffrey Daniel

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/17/19 11:06am

getxxxx

avatar

Miles Davis’ Warner Bros. years. On September 6, Rhino will unveil Rubberband, the lost album recorded by the late trumpeter in 1985-1986, on CD, 2-LP vinyl, and digital formats.

A limited edition Rhino.com bundle of the vinyl version featuring an exclusive 7-inch single of the track “Paradise” is available for pre-order now, as well. Rubberband arrives on CD, 2-LP vinyl, and digitally on September 6.

Miles Davis, Rubberband (Warner/Rhino, 2019)

  1. “Rubberband Of Life” – featuring Ledisi

  2. “This Is It”

  3. “Paradise”

  4. “So Emotional” – featuring Lalah Hathaway

  5. “Give It Up”

  6. “Maze”

  7. “Carnival Time”

  8. “I Love What We Make Together” – featuring Randy Hall

  9. “See I See”

  10. “Echoes In Time/The Wrinkle”

  11. “Rubberband”


Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/18/19 6:13pm

SoulAlive

KoolEaze said:

I´ll probably get the Gap Band re-release.


are those two albums any good? Back in the day,I never had those albums.I feel almost embarrassed that I don’t have more music by them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/19/19 7:41am

getxxxx

avatar

5 essential albums from Janet Jackson, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this past April. All five albums will be reissued on double LP.

Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814, released in 1989, will soon be celebrating its 30th anniversary. The album features the hit singles “Miss You Much,” “Rhythm Nation,” and “Escapade.” It will be reissued on double vinyl for the first time restoring the album’s previously missing interludes and unedited tracks.

Janet is the pop icon’s 1993 album re-emerging on vinyl for the first time in the US. In addition to its many hits, the reissue includes “Whoops Now,” which was previously made available only as a hidden bonus track on CD.

All For You is her 2001 album featuring the hit singles “All For You” and “Someone To Call My Lover.”

The Velvet Rope was released in 1997 and is being released on vinyl for the first time in the US. It will also include on LP for the first time “Can’t Be Stopped,” which was previously only made available as a hidden track on CD.

Control: The Remixes combines rare remixes found on the album’s various international versions including “Nasty,” “When I Think Of You,” and “Control.”

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/29/19 7:03pm

SoulAlive

Rhino REcords to release Chicago TrAnsit Authority 50TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED GOLD 2LP

This is an EXCLUSIVE and INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED, LIMITED EDITION 180-gram GOLD VINYL version to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Chicago Transit Authority album.

In celebration of the album’s 50th anniversary, Chicago worked with mixing engineer Tim Jessup to remix the entire album.

Originally released on April 28, 1969, Chicago Transit Authority topped the album chart, was certified double platinum and earned the band a Grammy® nomination for Best New Artist. The album also has the unique distinction of having stayed on the charts for an amazing three-year run (171 weeks); a record when it was released.

This classic double album includes several of the group’s most-enduring hits: “Beginnings,” “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?” and “Questions 67 and 68.” It also features the signature guitar work of the late Terry Kath on “South California Purple,” “Free Form Guitar” and a blazing cover of “I’m A Man.”

The album features Kath, keyboardist Robert Lamm, bassist Peter Cetera, drummer Danny Seraphine and Chicago’s legendary horn section: Lee Loughnane (trumpet), James Pankow (trombone), and Walt Parazaider (saxophone).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/29/19 7:04pm

SoulAlive

^^ love I already pre-ordered a copy from Rhino Records

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/30/19 8:45pm

getxxxx

avatar

Image

Description
Through five albums and twelve U.S. R&B charted singles (including the 1977 Grammy-winning global anthem, “Best Of My Love”) released between 1976-1981, The Emotions achieved a level of recognition and success that ensured their place as first tier purveyors of harmonic soul music. The Chicago-based sisters (Wanda, Jeanette and Sheila) developed their distinctive sound as members of the family gospel group, The Hutchinson Sunbeams (with father Joe); after signing with Stax Records’ imprint Volt Records, the trio enjoyed their first Top 10 R&B and Top 40 pop hit with ‘So I Can Love You’ in 1969.

In 1976, The Emotions began working with Earth, Wind & Fire supergroup founder Maurice White as he developed his Kalimba Productions and the creative pairing bore immediate fruit with the release of FLOWERS, the soulful trio’s first US Top 5 R&B and Top 50 pop best-selling album. Beyond the charts, sales and radio airplay, The Emotions’ soulful singing resonated with the expanded audience they reached in live performances on tours with EW&F, The Commodores, and The Brothers Johnson among others.

With informative liner notes by SoulMusic.com founder David Nathan, mastering by Nick Robbins and artwork by Roger Williams, this superb musically-satisfying 54-track, 3-CD SoulMusic Records’ box set showcases The Emotions’ golden years and includes all of their recordings for Columbia Records (1976-1978) and for ARC (American Recording Company), the CBS-distributed label (under the aegis of Maurice White) between 1979-1981. Of note, as songwriters, member of The Emotions and their collaborators also contributed to each of the five albums included here.

Disc 1 comprises the afore-mentioned FLOWERS album, produced by Maurice White with the late Charles Stepney (known for his work with The Dells, Ramsey Lewis and EW&F) which includes the infectious dance floor favourite ‘I Don’t Wanna Lose Your Love’; and the aptly-named Maurice White-produced REJOICE LP which – via the chart-topping international hit ‘Best Of My Love’ and the soul music classic ballad ‘Don’t Ask My Neighbors’ – propelled The Emotions to global fame.

Disc 2 consists of SUNBEAM, a creatively-expansive album that includes ‘Smile’ (co-written by Maurice White and EW&F guitarist/composer Al McKay, the team also responsible for ‘Best Of My Love’) and ‘Walking The Line’ (co-penned by Skip Scarborough); and COME INTO OUR WORLD, whose standouts include the US R&B Top 30 single, ‘What’s The Name Of Your Love?’

Disc 3 contains NEW AFFAIR, the group’s final LP for ARC/Columbia, with primary production by Wanda and musical partner/husband Wayne Vaughn and arranger/songwriter Bill Meyers, with an emphasis on dance-oriented tracks in light of the phenomenal 1979 success of ‘Boogie Wonderland’, the EW&F smash that featured The Emotions, two versions of which are among the eight bonus tracks that complete the third disc of this stellar box set.

Tracklist
[CD1: Flowers / Rejoice]
Flowers:
1. I Don’t Wanna Lose Your Love
2. Me For You
3. You’ve Got The Right To Know
4. We Go Through Changes
5. Special Part
6. No Plans For Tomorrow
7. How Can You Stop Loving Someone
8. Flowers
9. God Will Take Care Of You
Rejoice:
10. Best Of My Love
11. A Feeling Is
12. A Long Way To Go
13. Key To My Heart
14. Love’s What’s Happenin’
15. How’d I Know That Love Would Slip Away
16. Don’t Ask My Neighbors
17. Blessed
18. Rejoice

[CD2: Sunbeam / Come Into Our World]
Sunbeam:
1. Smile
2. Love Is Right On
3. Time Is Passing By
4. Walking The Line
5. Ain’t No Doubt About It
6. Love Vibes
7. I Wouldn’t Lie
8. My Everything
9. Spirit Of Summer
10. Whole Lot Of Shakin’
11. Music Box
Come Into Our World:
12. What’s The Name Of Your Love?
13. Cause I Love You
14. Come Into My World
15. On & On
16. I Should Be Dancing
17. Where Is Your Love?
18. The Movie
19. Layed Back
20. Yes, I Am

[CD3: New Affair / Various Bonus Tracks]
New Affair:
1. All Night, Alright
2. Love Lies
3. Now That I Know
4. There’ll Never Be Another Moment
5. Turn It Out
6. New Affair
7. Here You Come Again
8. When You Gonna Wake Up
Bonus Tracks:
9. Boogie Wonderland – Earth, Wind & Fire with the Emotions
10. I Should Be Dancing (Single Version)
11. My Baby Dance (Non-Album ‘B’ Side)
12. Changes (Non-Album ‘B’ Side)
13. Where Is Your Love? (Single Version)
14. Don’t Ask My Neighbors (Single Version)
15. Flowers (Single Version)
16. Boogie Wonderland (12” Version) – Earth, Wind & Fire with the Emotions
Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/01/19 6:27am

kitbradley

avatar

getxxxx said:

Image

Description
Through five albums and twelve U.S. R&B charted singles (including the 1977 Grammy-winning global anthem, “Best Of My Love”) released between 1976-1981, The Emotions achieved a level of recognition and success that ensured their place as first tier purveyors of harmonic soul music. The Chicago-based sisters (Wanda, Jeanette and Sheila) developed their distinctive sound as members of the family gospel group, The Hutchinson Sunbeams (with father Joe); after signing with Stax Records’ imprint Volt Records, the trio enjoyed their first Top 10 R&B and Top 40 pop hit with ‘So I Can Love You’ in 1969.

In 1976, The Emotions began working with Earth, Wind & Fire supergroup founder Maurice White as he developed his Kalimba Productions and the creative pairing bore immediate fruit with the release of FLOWERS, the soulful trio’s first US Top 5 R&B and Top 50 pop best-selling album. Beyond the charts, sales and radio airplay, The Emotions’ soulful singing resonated with the expanded audience they reached in live performances on tours with EW&F, The Commodores, and The Brothers Johnson among others.

With informative liner notes by SoulMusic.com founder David Nathan, mastering by Nick Robbins and artwork by Roger Williams, this superb musically-satisfying 54-track, 3-CD SoulMusic Records’ box set showcases The Emotions’ golden years and includes all of their recordings for Columbia Records (1976-1978) and for ARC (American Recording Company), the CBS-distributed label (under the aegis of Maurice White) between 1979-1981. Of note, as songwriters, member of The Emotions and their collaborators also contributed to each of the five albums included here.

Disc 1 comprises the afore-mentioned FLOWERS album, produced by Maurice White with the late Charles Stepney (known for his work with The Dells, Ramsey Lewis and EW&F) which includes the infectious dance floor favourite ‘I Don’t Wanna Lose Your Love’; and the aptly-named Maurice White-produced REJOICE LP which – via the chart-topping international hit ‘Best Of My Love’ and the soul music classic ballad ‘Don’t Ask My Neighbors’ – propelled The Emotions to global fame.

Disc 2 consists of SUNBEAM, a creatively-expansive album that includes ‘Smile’ (co-written by Maurice White and EW&F guitarist/composer Al McKay, the team also responsible for ‘Best Of My Love’) and ‘Walking The Line’ (co-penned by Skip Scarborough); and COME INTO OUR WORLD, whose standouts include the US R&B Top 30 single, ‘What’s The Name Of Your Love?’

Disc 3 contains NEW AFFAIR, the group’s final LP for ARC/Columbia, with primary production by Wanda and musical partner/husband Wayne Vaughn and arranger/songwriter Bill Meyers, with an emphasis on dance-oriented tracks in light of the phenomenal 1979 success of ‘Boogie Wonderland’, the EW&F smash that featured The Emotions, two versions of which are among the eight bonus tracks that complete the third disc of this stellar box set.

Tracklist
[CD1: Flowers / Rejoice]
Flowers:
1. I Don’t Wanna Lose Your Love
2. Me For You
3. You’ve Got The Right To Know
4. We Go Through Changes
5. Special Part
6. No Plans For Tomorrow
7. How Can You Stop Loving Someone
8. Flowers
9. God Will Take Care Of You
Rejoice:
10. Best Of My Love
11. A Feeling Is
12. A Long Way To Go
13. Key To My Heart
14. Love’s What’s Happenin’
15. How’d I Know That Love Would Slip Away
16. Don’t Ask My Neighbors
17. Blessed
18. Rejoice

[CD2: Sunbeam / Come Into Our World]
Sunbeam:
1. Smile
2. Love Is Right On
3. Time Is Passing By
4. Walking The Line
5. Ain’t No Doubt About It
6. Love Vibes
7. I Wouldn’t Lie
8. My Everything
9. Spirit Of Summer
10. Whole Lot Of Shakin’
11. Music Box
Come Into Our World:
12. What’s The Name Of Your Love?
13. Cause I Love You
14. Come Into My World
15. On & On
16. I Should Be Dancing
17. Where Is Your Love?
18. The Movie
19. Layed Back
20. Yes, I Am

[CD3: New Affair / Various Bonus Tracks]
New Affair:
1. All Night, Alright
2. Love Lies
3. Now That I Know
4. There’ll Never Be Another Moment
5. Turn It Out
6. New Affair
7. Here You Come Again
8. When You Gonna Wake Up
Bonus Tracks:
9. Boogie Wonderland – Earth, Wind & Fire with the Emotions
10. I Should Be Dancing (Single Version)
11. My Baby Dance (Non-Album ‘B’ Side)
12. Changes (Non-Album ‘B’ Side)
13. Where Is Your Love? (Single Version)
14. Don’t Ask My Neighbors (Single Version)
15. Flowers (Single Version)
16. Boogie Wonderland (12” Version) – Earth, Wind & Fire with the Emotions

I already have all of these individual CDs. I was thinking about getting this box set for the two B-sides. Well, really one because I found the "Changes" track on youtube, it's less than a minute long and it's the same line repeated over and over again. eek I'll probably just wait until someone posts the hopefully remastered version of "My Baby Dance" on youtube. All of these recylcles are killin' me!!!!

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/01/19 12:30pm

getxxxx

avatar

Image

Description
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes were one of the very first groups to achieve global success for Philadelphia International Records within its first year as a CBS-distributed label. The 1972 release of two consecutive ‘tell-it-like-it-is’ ballads – ‘I Miss You’ and ‘If You Don’t Know Me By Now’ – marked the start of a four-year association that yielded some of the most enduring recordings in contemporary soul music, in the process creating – with label founders Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff and a burgeoning coterie of talented songwriters, arrangers and musicians – a handful of timeless dance music classics including ‘The Love I Lost’, ‘Bad Luck’ and ‘Don’t Leave Me This Way’.

A Philadelphia-based group (The Charlemagnes) became ‘The Blue Notes’ after Harold Melvin joined them in the mid-‘50s and after a number of personnel changes, ‘Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes’ achieved their first US Top R&B hit in 1965 with ‘Get Out (And Cry)’. Mainstays of the popular lounge circuit, Melvin had hired Theodore Pendergrass as the new drummer for the group’s touring band in 1970 and by the time the quintet joined the fledgling roster at P.I.R., he had emerged as the lead singer; it was Pendergrass’ gospel-honed passion-filled vocals that were front-and-centre of the four gold-certified albums that formed the legacy of treasured recordings included in this glorious 36-track, 3-CD box set.

Disc 1 comprises the 1972 LP, I MISS YOU (originally released as ‘Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes’ and retitled after the US Top 10 R&B success of their first P.I.R single) and includes the soulful opus ‘If You Don’t Know Me By Now’; and the 1973 set, BLACK & BLUE particularly memorable for the group’s anthemic ‘The Love I Lost’ and ‘Satisfaction Guaranteed (Or Take Your Love Back)’.

Disc 2 features two albums released in 1975: TO BE TRUE which kept the momentum going with ‘Where Are All My Friends’ and ‘Bad Luck’ while also introducing female vocalist Sharon Paige via the US R&B chart-topper, ‘Hope That We Can Be Together Soon’; and WAKE UP EVERYBODY, the title track of which – with its memorably timeless lyrical theme – became the group’s final million-seller with Pendergrass who went on to launch his solo career in 1977.

Disc 3 consists of various bonus tracks: the group’s cover of Nilsson’s ‘Everybody’s Talkin’’ from The Philadelphia All-Stars’ 1977 LP, “Let’s Clean Up The Ghetto” LP; two dance mixes by legendary remix pioneer Tom Moulton, “Bad Luck” and an eleven-minute version of ‘Don’t Leave Me This Way’, originally a track from the group’s final P.I.R. LP – never issued as a U.S. single (but covered by Motown’s Thelma Houston for whom it became a global smash); and three ‘live’ recordings from the group’s performance at a CBS Records’ 1973 convention.

With artwork by Roger Williams and mastering by Nick Robbins, the box set also includes informative notes by renowned US writer Kevin Goins (including 2019 quotes from group member Jeremiah Cummings) and personal reflections by reissue producer and SoulMusic.com founder David Nathan.

Tracklist
[CD1: I Miss You / Black & Blue]
I Miss You:
1. I Miss You
2. Ebony Woman
3. Yesterday I Had The Blues
4. If You Don’t Know Me By Now
5. Be For Real
6. Let Me Into Your World
7. Let It Be You
Black & Blue:
8. Cabaret
9. The Love I Lost
10. It All Depends On You
11. Concentrate On Me
12. Satisfaction Guaranteed (Or Take Your Love Back)
13. Is There A Place For Me?
14. I’m Weak For You
15. I’m Coming Home Tomorrow

[CD2: To Be True / Wake Up Everybody]
To Be True:
1. Where Are All My Friends
2. To Be True
3. Pretty Flower
4. Hope That We Can Be Together Soon – Sharon Paige And Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes
5. Nobody Could Take Your Place
6. Somewhere Down The Line
7. Bad Luck
8. It’s All Because Of A Woman
Wake Up Everybody:
9. Wake Up Everybody
10. Keep On Lovin’ You
11. You Know How To Make Me Feel So Good – Featuring Sharon Paige
12. Don’t Leave Me This Way
13. Tell The World How I Feel About ‘Cha Baby
14. To Be Free To Be Who We Are
15. I’m Searching For A Love – Featuring Sharon Paige

[CD3: Various Bonus Tracks]
1. Everybody’s Talkin’
2. Bad Luck (Tom Moulton Mix)
3. Don’t Leave Me This Way (Tom Moulton Mix)
4. The Love I Lost (Live)
5. If You Don’t Know Me By Now (Live)
6. I Miss You (Live)
Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/03/19 6:19pm

whitechocolate
brotha

avatar

As with most of the Soulmusic catalog, there are typos galore (Disc One on the outside back sleeve) is entitled "People Power." It must have been screened from another Soulmusic album in error. As for the "stellar liner notes," the song, "Loafin" was not written OR produced by Jam & Lewis.

getxxxx said:

SoulMusic Records is proud to present “Got To Be Real: The Columbia Anthology,” a 31-track 2-CD retrospective drawn from the six albums recorded by much-loved singer/songwriter Cheryl Lynn between 1978-1985 along with three recordings featuring her soulful distinctive vocals as a special guest.

When CBS Records signed Los Angeles-born Cheryl in 1977, it was hot on the heels of her powerhouse performance on ‘The Gong Show,’ a then-popular US television talent contest; at 21, she reluctantly entered the contest, only to emerge as the clear winner. A bidding war among major US record labels ensued and after she opted for a deal with CBS, Cheryl was paired with the production team of Marty and David Paich. The result was Cheryl’s self-titled Columbia certified gold debut album for which Cheryl co-wrote five songs including the now-classic ‘Got To Be Real’.

With further chart success via ‘Star Love’ and as a special guest on Toto’s memorable hit, ‘Georgy Porgy’, Cheryl’s recording career moved into high gear. This 2019 compilation of some of her finest work features Cheryl’s twelve subsequent US charted singles, including ‘Shake It Up Tonight’ (from the Ray Parker Jr.-produced 1981 LP, “In The Night”); ‘If This World Were Mine’, Cheryl’s sumptuous duet with Luther Vandross (who produced her 1982 LP, “Instant Love”); the Jam & Lewis-produced US R&B chart topper ‘Encore’ (from the1984 LP, “Preppie”); and 1985’s ‘At Last You’re Mine’, from the movie Heavenly Bodies.

Also included here are key cuts from Cheryl’s 1979 sophomore LP, “In Love” (produced by Barry Blue) and her 1985 swansong set, “It’s Gonna Be Right” and Cheryl’s haunting performance on famed jazz flautist Hubert Laws’ 1982 recording, ‘Goodbye For Now’.

With stellar liner notes by renowned US writer, Janine Coveney, first class mastering by Nick Robbins and great artwork from Roger Williams, this musically-satisfying compilation showcases Cheryl Lynn’s dexterity as a multi-talented songwriter and producer and as an acclaimed dance music diva, groove-maker and balladeer of the highest order.

Tracklist
[CD1: Star Love]
1. Georgy Porgy – Toto (featuring Cheryl Lynn)
2. Got To Be Real
3. All My Lovin’
4. Star Love
5. You Saved My Day (Special Version)
6. You’re The One
7. Come In From The Rain
8. In Love (7” Single Version)
9. Chances
10. I’ve Got Faith In You
11. Keep It Hot
12. Shake It Up Tonight
13. Show You How
14. In The Night
15. If You’ll Be True To Me
16. What’s On Your Mind

[CD2: If This World Were Mine]
1. Instant Love
2. Look Before Your Leap
3. I Just Wanna Be Your Fantasy
4. Day After Day
5. Goodbye For Now (Theme From “Reds”) – Hubert Laws (featuring Cheryl Lynn)
6. This Time
7. Encore (Dance Version)
8. Change The Channel
9. Preppie (12” Version)
10. Free
11. Fidelity (Special Version)
12. Fade To Black
13. Loafin’
14. At Last You’re Mine (From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack “Heavenly Bodies”)
15. If This World Were Mine (featuring Luther Vandross)

Hungry? Just look in the mirror and get fed up.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/05/19 10:39am

jfenster

SoulAlive said:

Rhino REcords to release Chicago TrAnsit Authority 50TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED GOLD 2LP

This is an EXCLUSIVE and INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED, LIMITED EDITION 180-gram GOLD VINYL version to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Chicago Transit Authority album.

In celebration of the album’s 50th anniversary, Chicago worked with mixing engineer Tim Jessup to remix the entire album.

Originally released on April 28, 1969, Chicago Transit Authority topped the album chart, was certified double platinum and earned the band a Grammy® nomination for Best New Artist. The album also has the unique distinction of having stayed on the charts for an amazing three-year run (171 weeks); a record when it was released.

This classic double album includes several of the group’s most-enduring hits: “Beginnings,” “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?” and “Questions 67 and 68.” It also features the signature guitar work of the late Terry Kath on “South California Purple,” “Free Form Guitar” and a blazing cover of “I’m A Man.”

The album features Kath, keyboardist Robert Lamm, bassist Peter Cetera, drummer Danny Seraphine and Chicago’s legendary horn section: Lee Loughnane (trumpet), James Pankow (trombone), and Walt Parazaider (saxophone).

one of the best albums EVER made

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/05/19 12:34pm

SoulAlive

Indeed smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/05/19 9:11pm

kitbradley

avatar

whitechocolatebrotha said:

As with most of the Soulmusic catalog, there are typos galore (Disc One on the outside back sleeve) is entitled "People Power." It must have been screened from another Soulmusic album in error. As for the "stellar liner notes," the song, "Loafin" was not written OR produced by Jam & Lewis.

getxxxx said:

SoulMusic Records is proud to present “Got To Be Real: The Columbia Anthology,” a 31-track 2-CD retrospective drawn from the six albums recorded by much-loved singer/songwriter Cheryl Lynn between 1978-1985 along with three recordings featuring her soulful distinctive vocals as a special guest.

When CBS Records signed Los Angeles-born Cheryl in 1977, it was hot on the heels of her powerhouse performance on ‘The Gong Show,’ a then-popular US television talent contest; at 21, she reluctantly entered the contest, only to emerge as the clear winner. A bidding war among major US record labels ensued and after she opted for a deal with CBS, Cheryl was paired with the production team of Marty and David Paich. The result was Cheryl’s self-titled Columbia certified gold debut album for which Cheryl co-wrote five songs including the now-classic ‘Got To Be Real’.

With further chart success via ‘Star Love’ and as a special guest on Toto’s memorable hit, ‘Georgy Porgy’, Cheryl’s recording career moved into high gear. This 2019 compilation of some of her finest work features Cheryl’s twelve subsequent US charted singles, including ‘Shake It Up Tonight’ (from the Ray Parker Jr.-produced 1981 LP, “In The Night”); ‘If This World Were Mine’, Cheryl’s sumptuous duet with Luther Vandross (who produced her 1982 LP, “Instant Love”); the Jam & Lewis-produced US R&B chart topper ‘Encore’ (from the1984 LP, “Preppie”); and 1985’s ‘At Last You’re Mine’, from the movie Heavenly Bodies.

Also included here are key cuts from Cheryl’s 1979 sophomore LP, “In Love” (produced by Barry Blue) and her 1985 swansong set, “It’s Gonna Be Right” and Cheryl’s haunting performance on famed jazz flautist Hubert Laws’ 1982 recording, ‘Goodbye For Now’.

With stellar liner notes by renowned US writer, Janine Coveney, first class mastering by Nick Robbins and great artwork from Roger Williams, this musically-satisfying compilation showcases Cheryl Lynn’s dexterity as a multi-talented songwriter and producer and as an acclaimed dance music diva, groove-maker and balladeer of the highest order.

Tracklist
[CD1: Star Love]
1. Georgy Porgy – Toto (featuring Cheryl Lynn)
2. Got To Be Real
3. All My Lovin’
4. Star Love
5. You Saved My Day (Special Version)
6. You’re The One
7. Come In From The Rain
8. In Love (7” Single Version)
9. Chances
10. I’ve Got Faith In You
11. Keep It Hot
12. Shake It Up Tonight
13. Show You How
14. In The Night
15. If You’ll Be True To Me
16. What’s On Your Mind

[CD2: If This World Were Mine]
1. Instant Love
2. Look Before Your Leap
3. I Just Wanna Be Your Fantasy
4. Day After Day
5. Goodbye For Now (Theme From “Reds”) – Hubert Laws (featuring Cheryl Lynn)
6. This Time
7. Encore (Dance Version)
8. Change The Channel
9. Preppie (12” Version)
10. Free
11. Fidelity (Special Version)
12. Fade To Black
13. Loafin’
14. At Last You’re Mine (From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack “Heavenly Bodies”)
15. If This World Were Mine (featuring Luther Vandross)

lol I never noticed the typos on the soulmusic.com reissues but I know the remastering is pretty much hit and miss. Who can forget the Stephanie Mills "Tantalizingly Hot" debacle a few years ago. Although they did end up issuing a second CD with the songs properly mastered after getting bombarded with complaints. Some of the songs on the Alicia Myers two-fer sounded horrible. They were so bad I can't even say they were sourced from vinyl. Sounded more like an 8-track tape. And some of the songs on Dan Hartman's "Instant Replay" were obviously sourced from vinyl.

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/05/19 9:16pm

kitbradley

avatar

• This set features 23 special & sought-after alternative versions of some of Billy’s best known tracks, such as ‘When The Going Gets Tough (The Tough Get Going)’, ‘Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car’, ‘Love Really Hurts Without You’, ‘Loverboy’ and ‘European Queen (No More Love On The Run)’, with a number of these versions making their first ever appearance on CD here.

• All tracks contained within have been lovingly remastered, with audio being sourced from the original master tapes where possible.

• The package includes a beautiful 16-page booklet featuring extensive sleeve notes by music journalist and pop expert Justin Kantor.

• The release of Remixes & Rarities coincides with a number of Billy’s additional musical ventures, seeing him currently hard at work putting the finishing touches to his eleventh studio album, and extensively touring the UK, US and Australia, performing alongside artists such as Beverley Knight and Jess Glynne.

DISC ONE 1. WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING (EXTENDED VERSION) 2. EUROPEAN QUEEN (NO MORE LOVE ON THE RUN) (SPECIAL MIX) 3. CITY LIMIT (ALTERNATIVE VERSION) 4. LOVE REALLY HURTS WITHOUT YOU (1986 DANCE MIX) 5. MYSTERY LADY (CLUB MIX) 6. GET OUTTA MY DREAMS, GET INTO MY CAR (EXTENDED VERSION) 7. LOVERBOY (DUB MIX) 8. ARE YOU READY (12” VERSION) 9. LICENCE TO CHILL (EXTENDED VERSION) 10. PRESSURE (UK 12” EXTENDED MIX) 11. WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING (INSTRUMENTAL) 12. LOVE ZONE (EXTENDED VERSION)

DISC TWO 1. AFRICAN QUEEN (NO MORE LOVE ON THE RUN) (NEW EXTENDED MIX) 2. AMERICAN HEARTS (12” VERSION) 3. DANCE FLOOR (EXTENDED MIX) 4. WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING (CLUB MIX) 5. I SLEEP MUCH BETTER (IN SOMEONE ELSE’S BED) (EXTENDED VERSION) 6. LOVE REALLY HURTS WITHOUT YOU (DUB MIX) 7. BITTERSWEET (EXTENDED VERSION) 8. PICK UP THE PIECES (PUT IT BACK) (REESE CLUB RIOT MIX) 9. LOVERBOY (EXTENDED CLUB REMIX) 10. GET OUTTA MY DREAMS, GET INTO MY CAR (INSTRUMENTAL) 11. WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING (7TH HEAVEN CLUB MIX)

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/08/19 6:32pm

whitechocolate
brotha

avatar

kitbradley said:

whitechocolatebrotha said:

As with most of the Soulmusic catalog, there are typos galore (Disc One on the outside back sleeve) is entitled "People Power." It must have been screened from another Soulmusic album in error. As for the "stellar liner notes," the song, "Loafin" was not written OR produced by Jam & Lewis.

lol I never noticed the typos on the soulmusic.com reissues but I know the remastering is pretty much hit and miss. Who can forget the Stephanie Mills "Tantalizingly Hot" debacle a few years ago. Although they did end up issuing a second CD with the songs properly mastered after getting bombarded with complaints. Some of the songs on the Alicia Myers two-fer sounded horrible. They were so bad I can't even say they were sourced from vinyl. Sounded more like an 8-track tape. And some of the songs on Dan Hartman's "Instant Replay" were obviously sourced from vinyl.

Hi, Kit! Been a MINIT! Hope you're well! I DO remember the "Tantalizingly Hot" debacle! I was one of the victims! I ended up with a newly remastered one free because Amazon wouldn't accept my return. Funny thing...I used to love suggesting certain titles for remaster/reissue with these guys until I was told my David Nathan that I "would be the demise of Soulmusic Records" pertaining to some of my suggestions. In TRUTH tho, the REAL demise of SMR will be their inability to proofread their essays and, as you have pointed out, DOUBLE-check their remastering. There were issues with Kenny Lattimore's "Anthology" (typos all over the place) and the MONO releases of a couple of older Nancy Wilson titles which I avoided comPLETELY. Who wants MONO in THIS day and age with technology where it's at? I rest my case and send u much luv! <3

[Edited 7/8/19 18:33pm]

Hungry? Just look in the mirror and get fed up.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/08/19 6:48pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

whitechocolatebrotha said:

Who wants MONO in THIS day and age with technology where it's at?

Classic rock fans because The Beatles & The Monkees have had mono and stereo remasters in recent years. Some of the mono mixes are different, such as Helter Skelter which is a minute storter than the stereo version and doesn't have Ringo screaming about blisters. If you go back far enough, like pre-1960s, most of the music is mono because there was no stereo. Early recordings from the Victrola days didn't have tape masters either. Tape hadn't been invented. They were recorded straight to a 78 disc. So any version today is going to come from a 78. John Mellencamp released an album a few years ago that was only mono and was recorded on old equipment. He wanted to duplicate the sound of the 1930s and did not want any digital.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/09/19 6:23am

kitbradley

avatar

whitechocolatebrotha said:

kitbradley said:

lol I never noticed the typos on the soulmusic.com reissues but I know the remastering is pretty much hit and miss. Who can forget the Stephanie Mills "Tantalizingly Hot" debacle a few years ago. Although they did end up issuing a second CD with the songs properly mastered after getting bombarded with complaints. Some of the songs on the Alicia Myers two-fer sounded horrible. They were so bad I can't even say they were sourced from vinyl. Sounded more like an 8-track tape. And some of the songs on Dan Hartman's "Instant Replay" were obviously sourced from vinyl.

Hi, Kit! Been a MINIT! Hope you're well! I DO remember the "Tantalizingly Hot" debacle! I was one of the victims! I ended up with a newly remastered one free because Amazon wouldn't accept my return. Funny thing...I used to love suggesting certain titles for remaster/reissue with these guys until I was told my David Nathan that I "would be the demise of Soulmusic Records" pertaining to some of my suggestions. In TRUTH tho, the REAL demise of SMR will be their inability to proofread their essays and, as you have pointed out, DOUBLE-check their remastering. There were issues with Kenny Lattimore's "Anthology" (typos all over the place) and the MONO releases of a couple of older Nancy Wilson titles which I avoided comPLETELY. Who wants MONO in THIS day and age with technology where it's at? I rest my case and send u much luv! <3

[Edited 7/8/19 18:33pm]

I own all of those Nancy Wilson remasters and I must say all of them sound very good. Probably the best sounding batch of CDs to come from the label. Several of the titles are OOP now and are super expensive if you find them online. Yeah, I feel you on the mono issue but considering most of those Wilson albums had never been released on CD, I was willing to over-look that issue.

Why did David say you would be the demise of the label if they released some of your suggestions? He has released music from some really obscure artists which I know didn't sell. Or did he mean the titles you were requesting would cost too much money to license from the labels? I could see that happening. FTG reissued titles from more well-known artists (i.e. Diana Ross) that ended up not selling as well as they thought and I believe it lead to their demise. I mean, they are still around trying to liquidate their excess stock but they haven't reissued any titles in well over a year.

I notice David's SMR is sticking to releasing compilations now based mainly on full length albums that are readily available. Many of the tracks from CDs released by FTG, BBR and Expansion.

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/10/19 7:09pm

whitechocolate
brotha

avatar

kitbradley said:

whitechocolatebrotha said:

Hi, Kit! Been a MINIT! Hope you're well! I DO remember the "Tantalizingly Hot" debacle! I was one of the victims! I ended up with a newly remastered one free because Amazon wouldn't accept my return. Funny thing...I used to love suggesting certain titles for remaster/reissue with these guys until I was told my David Nathan that I "would be the demise of Soulmusic Records" pertaining to some of my suggestions. In TRUTH tho, the REAL demise of SMR will be their inability to proofread their essays and, as you have pointed out, DOUBLE-check their remastering. There were issues with Kenny Lattimore's "Anthology" (typos all over the place) and the MONO releases of a couple of older Nancy Wilson titles which I avoided comPLETELY. Who wants MONO in THIS day and age with technology where it's at? I rest my case and send u much luv! <3

[Edited 7/8/19 18:33pm]

I own all of those Nancy Wilson remasters and I must say all of them sound very good. Probably the best sounding batch of CDs to come from the label. Several of the titles are OOP now and are super expensive if you find them online. Yeah, I feel you on the mono issue but considering most of those Wilson albums had never been released on CD, I was willing to over-look that issue.

Why did David say you would be the demise of the label if they released some of your suggestions? He has released music from some really obscure artists which I know didn't sell. Or did he mean the titles you were requesting would cost too much money to license from the labels? I could see that happening. FTG reissued titles from more well-known artists (i.e. Diana Ross) that ended up not selling as well as they thought and I believe it lead to their demise. I mean, they are still around trying to liquidate their excess stock but they haven't reissued any titles in well over a year.

I notice David's SMR is sticking to releasing compilations now based mainly on full length albums that are readily available. Many of the tracks from CDs released by FTG, BBR and Expansion.

Wow! Never would have guessed that Nancy's mono recordings would have sounded good! Nice 2 know! And yes...VERY expensive and OOP. I believe her repetoire was one of the best selling from SMR and rightfully so! He was saying that where I was suggesting, I guess, what he considered to be unknown artists that wouldn't sell. Although, I introduced him to Donna Washington and he liked her so much that he remastered and reissued her "Going For The Glow" album from 1981 on CD! When I asked him about reissuing her first and last, he informed me that "Glow" didn't see well. You just never know with music. It's always a gamble and it has to do with other people's tastes, so I get it. And smartly, he IS sticking with anthologies. It's where the $'s at over singular releases by artists. I'm SHOCKED about Ross! I thought those sold well and they didn't! News to ME, kit! Good 2 hear back from u and as always, I send u my luv! <3

Hungry? Just look in the mirror and get fed up.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/11/19 8:12am

JoeBala

Music On Vinyl kick off a Todd Rundgren vinyl reissue campaign with limited coloured vinyl editions of his 1970 solo debut Runt and 1972’s acclaimed Somthing/Anything?

Both are limited editions of only 1000 units with Runt pressed on gold-coloured vinyl while Something/Anything? is a 2LP pressing on a purple/red mix.

‘We Gotta Get You A Woman’ from Runt and ‘I Saw The Light’ from Something/Anything? were both US top 20 hits, while ‘Hello It’s Me’ peaked at number five on the Billboard Hot 100.

Both reissues are pressed on 180g vinyl and come with printed inserts. These are released on 16 August and these limited editions can be pre-ordered from the SDE shop, with a specially priced bundle of both available. Further releases are planned for 2019.

Runt limited edition coloured vinyl

Side A

1. Broke Down And Busted
2. Believe In Me
3. We Gotta Get You A Woman
4. Who’s That Man?
5. Once Burned
6. Devil’s Bite

Side B

1. I’m In The Clique
2. There Are No Words
3. Baby, Let’s Swing The Last Thing You Said Don’t Tie My Hands
4. Birthday Carol

Something/Anything? limited edition coloured vinyl

Side A

1. I Saw The Light
2. It Wouldn’t Have Made Any Difference
3. Wolfman Jack
4. Cold Morning Light
5. It Takes Two To Tango (This Is For The Girls)
6. Sweeter Memories

Side B

1. Intro
2. Breathless
3. The Night The Carousel Burned Down
4. Saving Grace
5. Marlene
6. Song Of The Viking
7. I Went To The Mirror

Side C

1. Black Maria
2. One More Day (No Word)
3. Couldn’t I Just Tell You
4. Torch Song
5. Little Red Lights

Side D

1. Overture: Money / Messin’ With The Kid
2. Dust In The Wind
3. Piss Aaron
4. Hello It’s Me
5. Some Folks Is Even Whiter Than Me
6. You Left Me Sore
7. Slut

Just Music-No Categories-Enjoy It!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/12/19 4:38am

whitesockedfun
k

avatar

whitechocolatebrotha said:

kitbradley said:

lol I never noticed the typos on the soulmusic.com reissues but I know the remastering is pretty much hit and miss. Who can forget the Stephanie Mills "Tantalizingly Hot" debacle a few years ago. Although they did end up issuing a second CD with the songs properly mastered after getting bombarded with complaints. Some of the songs on the Alicia Myers two-fer sounded horrible. They were so bad I can't even say they were sourced from vinyl. Sounded more like an 8-track tape. And some of the songs on Dan Hartman's "Instant Replay" were obviously sourced from vinyl.

Hi, Kit! Been a MINIT! Hope you're well! I DO remember the "Tantalizingly Hot" debacle! I was one of the victims! I ended up with a newly remastered one free because Amazon wouldn't accept my return. Funny thing...I used to love suggesting certain titles for remaster/reissue with these guys until I was told my David Nathan that I "would be the demise of Soulmusic Records" pertaining to some of my suggestions. In TRUTH tho, the REAL demise of SMR will be their inability to proofread their essays and, as you have pointed out, DOUBLE-check their remastering. There were issues with Kenny Lattimore's "Anthology" (typos all over the place) and the MONO releases of a couple of older Nancy Wilson titles which I avoided comPLETELY. Who wants MONO in THIS day and age with technology where it's at? I rest my case and send u much luv! <3

[Edited 7/8/19 18:33pm]

There are issues with almost ALL of Cherry Red's reissues and that includes their sublabels like SMR, Big Break etc. Either sound issues (vinyl transfers, mono vs stereo, awful remastering, skips, notes missing, wrong versions and what have you not) or shoddy artwork/liner notes. I never pre-order their releases any more but wait until I have read some reviews first.

Just like the white winged dove...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/12/19 6:37am

kitbradley

avatar

whitesockedfunk said:

whitechocolatebrotha said:

Hi, Kit! Been a MINIT! Hope you're well! I DO remember the "Tantalizingly Hot" debacle! I was one of the victims! I ended up with a newly remastered one free because Amazon wouldn't accept my return. Funny thing...I used to love suggesting certain titles for remaster/reissue with these guys until I was told my David Nathan that I "would be the demise of Soulmusic Records" pertaining to some of my suggestions. In TRUTH tho, the REAL demise of SMR will be their inability to proofread their essays and, as you have pointed out, DOUBLE-check their remastering. There were issues with Kenny Lattimore's "Anthology" (typos all over the place) and the MONO releases of a couple of older Nancy Wilson titles which I avoided comPLETELY. Who wants MONO in THIS day and age with technology where it's at? I rest my case and send u much luv! <3

[Edited 7/8/19 18:33pm]

There are issues with almost ALL of Cherry Red's reissues and that includes their sublabels like SMR, Big Break etc. Either sound issues (vinyl transfers, mono vs stereo, awful remastering, skips, notes missing, wrong versions and what have you not) or shoddy artwork/liner notes. I never pre-order their releases any more but wait until I have read some reviews first.

I wish I could find it but I ran across this really long blog from an engineer who used to do work for Cherry Red. He was saying how horrible it was working for them and how sloppy they were trying to get product out on the market. He said many times, there were delays in getting masters from the record companies so instead of waiting, they would tell him to source songs from vinyl for the sake of meeting deadlines. He was explaining the long, tedious, painful process of getting the majors to cooperate with the reissue labels and how many people and departments they have to go thru to license songs, find the masters, etc. Very interesting read. If I manage to find it again, I will post a link.

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Reissue Talk #37