independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 24th May 2019 8:47pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Rick James
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 3 <123
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 05/06/19 5:29pm

Abdul

SoulAlive said:

I seriously need to check out those Stone City Band albums.I believe they did 2 albums in the early 80s.

They did three albums in the early 80's:

In-N-Out (1980) (My favorite cut off it is "Strut Your Stuff")

The Boys Are Back (1981) (My favorite cut off it is the new wave punk funk remake of the Kinks hit "All Day and All Of The Night")

Out From The Shadow (1983) (My favorite cut off it is "Bad Lady")

[Edited 5/6/19 17:30pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 05/06/19 6:09pm

SoulAlive

Wow! I wish all three albums could be compiled and released as a CD box set.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 05/06/19 8:09pm

Abdul

SoulAlive said:

Wow! I wish all three albums could be compiled and released as a CD box set.

Yeah that would be cool, so far they only got the digital versions of those albums on Amazon, maybe one day Soul!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 05/07/19 2:49pm

SoulAlive

thumbs up!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 05/08/19 12:40am

ReddBlitz

At the time, RJ was the shizzznit!!! What a brilliant and a genius of an artist he was. RJ had such a wall of sound that will forever remain a class in itself. Too bad Motown didn't fully get in behind him as much. A lot of his albums should've sold a lot more than what it did. Not to mention his protégées.
[Edited 5/8/19 0:42am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 05/08/19 2:01am

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

ReddBlitz said:

At the time, RJ was the shizzznit!!! What a brilliant and a genius of an artist he was. RJ had such a wall of sound that will forever remain a class in itself. Too bad Motown didn't fully get in behind him as much. A lot of his albums should've sold a lot more than what it did. Not to mention his protégées. [Edited 5/8/19 0:42am]

Motown has been known to downplay sells to secretly pocket the profits. They did it to Teena Marie. Not to mention how they ruined Taimak's career who had the potential to be the black Bruce Lee.

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 05/08/19 2:29pm

SoulAlive

I'll never forget that magical summer of '81.So many amazing jams that summer! Rick was on top with his excellent Street Songs album."Ghetto Life" is my favorite Rick James song.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 05/08/19 8:14pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

SoulAlive said:

I'll never forget that magical summer of '81.So many amazing jams that summer! Rick was on top with his excellent Street Songs album."Ghetto Life" is my favorite Rick James song.

And I was at EVERY show that hit my city on the 'Street Songs" tour. It was a VERY special summer for Rick indeed but he NEVER saw that success again.

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 05/10/19 2:01pm

SoulAlive

in 1982,Rick gave the Temptations an amazingly funky comeback hit,"Standing On The Top". headbang

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 05/12/19 8:20am

SoulAlive

check out his Bustin' Out Of L7 album....that's one of his best

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 05/12/19 8:52am

Strive

Nobody ever mentions his time in The Great White Cane but there's some good songs in there.

no yesterday or tomorrow, no better remedy for sorrow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 05/20/19 5:53pm

SoulAlive

There is some circulating footage from Rick’s 1981 Long Beach,CA shows.These shows are legendary and he often performed a 20-minute version of “Fire And Desire” with Teena Marie during that tour.Would be so cool if his estate could release that footage on blu-ray.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 05/21/19 12:19pm

mrpunkfunk

avatar

I'm a HUGE Rick James fan; and no one ever mentions 'Glow', decent album, some great songs and an awesome title track. I always felt that it really highlighted Rick's creativity. I always felt that that song should've been a little bigger than it was.

Lady Cab Driver is one of the greatest songs ever!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 05/21/19 12:36pm

SoulAlive

mrpunkfunk said:

I'm a HUGE Rick James fan; and no one ever mentions 'Glow', decent album, some great songs and an awesome title track. I always felt that it really highlighted Rick's creativity. I always felt that that song should've been a little bigger than it was.

I agree,the Glow album is underrated.It's a solid album and yeah,the title track is superb.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 05/21/19 1:28pm

SoulAlive

speaking of Glow.....I just found this on Rick James' facebook page right now smile

“Next to GARDEN OF LOVE, GLOW may be the most underrated album of Rick James' career.” - AllMusic

On this day in 1985, Rick’s ninth studio album GLOW hit stores via Motown Records!

Image may contain: 1 person

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 05/21/19 6:08pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

SoulAlive said:

There is some circulating footage from Rick’s 1981 Long Beach,CA shows.These shows are legendary and he often performed a 20-minute version of “Fire And Desire” with Teena Marie during that tour.Would be so cool if his estate could release that footage on blu-ray.

He did I was in attendance of that very show.

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 05/22/19 6:42am

RJOrion

Below The Funk (Pass The Joint)
Call Me Up
Big Time
17
You And I
Hollywood
Dance Wit Me
Standing On The Top
Glow
Ghetto Life
Mary Jane
She Blew My Mind
Mr. Policeman
Ebony Eyes
Fire & Desire
Give It To Me Baby
Bustin Out
Fool On The Street
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 05/22/19 11:48am

mrpunkfunk

avatar

SoulAlive said:

speaking of Glow.....I just found this on Rick James' facebook page right now smile

“Next to GARDEN OF LOVE, GLOW may be the most underrated album of Rick James' career.” - AllMusic

On this day in 1985, Rick’s ninth studio album GLOW hit stores via Motown Records!

Image may contain: 1 person

nod

I agree. 'Garden of Love' is VERY underrated as well. Rick was just never able to really 'crossover' after the 'Thriller'/'Purple Rain' era.

Lady Cab Driver is one of the greatest songs ever!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 05/22/19 7:10pm

SoulAlive

‘Street Songs’ and the “Superfreak” single were his best chances at crossing over.I don’t think he cared too much.I recall an early-80s interview where he said “I could easily do a rock album and expand my audience,but why would I abandon the funk fans who enjoy my music?”.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 05/22/19 7:30pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

SoulAlive said:

‘Street Songs’ and the “Superfreak” single were his best chances at crossing over.I don’t think he cared too much.I recall an early-80s interview where he said “I could easily do a rock album and expand my audience,but why would I abandon the funk fans who enjoy my music?”.
I always felt that way as well; we make a bigger deal out of his crossocer appeal than Rick himself did. That would have gone hand in hand with him saying he didn't want to be a token black just to land on MTV.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 05/24/19 11:12am

mrpunkfunk

avatar

MotownSubdivision said:

SoulAlive said:
‘Street Songs’ and the “Superfreak” single were his best chances at crossing over.I don’t think he cared too much.I recall an early-80s interview where he said “I could easily do a rock album and expand my audience,but why would I abandon the funk fans who enjoy my music?”.
I always felt that way as well; we make a bigger deal out of his crossocer appeal than Rick himself did. That would have gone hand in hand with him saying he didn't want to be a token black just to land on MTV.

I still wish that he had done a 'rock' album, just to show how versitile he was as a musician. Rick saw MTV as a racist institution, and he didn't want to deal with them; I think Prince and MJ overlooked this because they understood how important it was as a platform.

Rick also got deeper into his drug addiction, and his music ultimately suffered for it. But all in all, Rick was a giant. I feel like he was very capable of maintaining his 'pop stardom' throughout the 80's and beyond; had he stayed clear headed.

I love all of his albums, but by the time he got to 'Wonderful', he was clearly not in the right headspace.

Lady Cab Driver is one of the greatest songs ever!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 05/24/19 11:48am

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

mrpunkfunk said:

MotownSubdivision said:

SoulAlive said: I always felt that way as well; we make a bigger deal out of his crossocer appeal than Rick himself did. That would have gone hand in hand with him saying he didn't want to be a token black just to land on MTV.

I still wish that he had done a 'rock' album, just to show how versitile he was as a musician. Rick saw MTV as a racist institution, and he didn't want to deal with them; I think Prince and MJ overlooked this because they understood how important it was as a platform.

Rick also got deeper into his drug addiction, and his music ultimately suffered for it. But all in all, Rick was a giant. I feel like he was very capable of maintaining his 'pop stardom' throughout the 80's and beyond; had he stayed clear headed.

I love all of his albums, but by the time he got to 'Wonderful', he was clearly not in the right headspace.

"Wonderful" which had Rick dressing like Prince(r.i.p.) was a great album. It's still in my playlist today.


So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 05/24/19 1:29pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

mrpunkfunk said:



MotownSubdivision said:


SoulAlive said:
‘Street Songs’ and the “Superfreak” single were his best chances at crossing over.I don’t think he cared too much.I recall an early-80s interview where he said “I could easily do a rock album and expand my audience,but why would I abandon the funk fans who enjoy my music?”.

I always felt that way as well; we make a bigger deal out of his crossocer appeal than Rick himself did. That would have gone hand in hand with him saying he didn't want to be a token black just to land on MTV.


I still wish that he had done a 'rock' album, just to show how versitile he was as a musician. Rick saw MTV as a racist institution, and he didn't want to deal with them; I think Prince and MJ overlooked this because they understood how important it was as a platform.



Rick also got deeper into his drug addiction, and his music ultimately suffered for it. But all in all, Rick was a giant. I feel like he was very capable of maintaining his 'pop stardom' throughout the 80's and beyond; had he stayed clear headed.



I love all of his albums, but by the time he got to 'Wonderful', he was clearly not in the right headspace.

A pure rock album would have been interesting. Now that you mention it, Rick getting with his old partner in crime, Neil Young and putting something together would have been dope.

It really pains me with Rick because though he has a strong discography (his own albums as well as the ones he put together for Lady T and the Mary Jane Girls), was a BIG star for a while and is still a prominent funk figure today, he could have soared to greater heights all the same. Had he not let the drugs take over, he would probably still be alive today or at least much better remembered for the musical force he was.

I've seen a few on here say Rick's music was contrived and his funk wasn't authentic because of his folk rock origins and I scoff at that because you can't fake the funk and while he may have been more accessible, IDK how anyone can imply that Rick wasn't funky. Dude stood out in an already colorful, multifaceted genre with a colorful style all his own. You can't mistake a Rick James song for someone else, he had a unique sound and it was that rockstar persona that helped to make it what it was. Rick was an irreplaceable talent who could have branched out more had he not stunted his own growth as a human being.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 05/24/19 2:51pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

I remember the last time I saw Rick perform on Jun 26, 2004. Morris Day & The Time was on the same bill. It was on tour with Teena whom headlined. She had brought him on tour with her. It was obvious he wasn't doing well. He can barely get through the set. It was so heartbreaking to me

first seeing him strutting across the stage back in 1981 with Teena. He would be dead only two months later.


So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 3 <123
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Rick James