independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 12th Dec 2019 9:54pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Cardi B: 1st Female Rapper To Hit No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100 Without Feature Since Lauryn Hill
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 10/04/17 2:59am

laurarichardso
n

MickyDolenz said:



stpaisios said:


Bitches this, Bitches that bla-bla-bla



https://78.media.tumblr.com/50094dc92b929fe802d6cad1a44bd03b/tumblr_ox7vxpGlWQ1rw606ko1_r1_540.jpg


--I hope you are not comparing Prince as a lyricist to this illiterate artist. Irrestiable bitch is an actual song about chasing a women who treats him like dirt but he keeps chasing her anyway. Prince is the fool in the song it is very clever. I have listened to the Cardi track a few times and I still cannot tell you what the song is about and I felt like I lost some brain cells.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 10/04/17 4:29am

phunkdaddy

avatar

laurarichardson said:

MickyDolenz said:



stpaisios said:


Bitches this, Bitches that bla-bla-bla



https://78.media.tumblr.com/50094dc92b929fe802d6cad1a44bd03b/tumblr_ox7vxpGlWQ1rw606ko1_r1_540.jpg


--I hope you are not comparing Prince as a lyricist to this illiterate artist. Irrestiable bitch is an actual song about chasing a women who treats him like dirt but he keeps chasing her anyway. Prince is the fool in the song it is very clever. I have listened to the Cardi track a few times and I still cannot tell you what the song is about and I felt like I lost some brain cells.


Exactly. The only song I can think of Prince totally wild out on was P Control. lol He earned that right though. That song was the ultimate stripper joint.
It definitely made its rounds in Southern black strip clubs.
Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 10/04/17 7:28am

Dakarai

avatar

Like i've told everyone else, let's just wait and see what kind of success her album has. Cardi is getting a lot of fake love out here. People aren't even financially supporting her, it's mostly streams (like most of hip-hop today, it isn't worth purchasing).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 10/04/17 9:20am

MickyDolenz

avatar

laurarichardson said:

--The 3 that are selling are selling because their music does not suck and you are not going to move as many units as Adele due to payola. Theses 3 artist have good songs, people can relate to the lyrics, the songs have good hooks, and they have marketed themselves well which means they want to appeal to a diverse audience.

So let me get this straight. Performers you like such as Adele, Bruno, and Taylor sell because they have good music and people relate to the lyrics. But acts that sold a lot that you don't like did so because of payola and record labels bought their own albums like Kenny G, Justin Timberlake, and Milli Vanilli. Alrighty then. lol You mentioned something about having a long career. Weird Al's first record came out around 1980 or 1981. He's still popular today and remained so longer than a lot of the acts he did parodies on. Yet you said in the other thread he's corny. The Monkees TV show is still re-run on TV and it's also on DVD and last year, Rhino (which is a part of Warner Brothers) released it on Blu Ray and it was the first time the episodes have been restored. Restoring film is an expensive and time consuming process. Do you think the company would do that if The Monkees won't sell? Their songs are used in movies, commercials, and TV shows and there's a Monkees convention every year. Kenny G released an album a couple of years ago, so he's still around and he was on a TV commercial that was shown a lot. Just because somebody is not on the radio doesn't mean their career is over. As far as Cardi B, I never said anything about her having a long career. But if the Kardashian family can remain popular all this time without really doing anything, then why not? razz

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 10/04/17 9:25am

MickyDolenz

avatar

Explain Garth Brooks success then. He has more albums certified diamond (7) than anyone else, including Michael Jackson & The Beatles.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 10/04/17 9:57am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

Explain Garth Brooks success then. He has more albums certified diamond (7) than anyone else, including Michael Jackson & The Beatles.

.

Country Music in 2017 IMHO is basically a corporate funded front for suggested white American nationalism, literally labelling a genre of music as representating an entire Country (which it absolutely is not). Garth Brooks can sang and he can play, . Nothin' wrong with that. Remember when he literally tried to be someone else (Chris Gaines) and failed? Its because he has the "it factor" and great stage presence.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 10/04/17 9:59am

laurarichardso
n

MickyDolenz said:

laurarichardson said:

--The 3 that are selling are selling because their music does not suck and you are not going to move as many units as Adele due to payola. Theses 3 artist have good songs, people can relate to the lyrics, the songs have good hooks, and they have marketed themselves well which means they want to appeal to a diverse audience.

So let me get this straight. Performers you like such as Adele, Bruno, and Taylor sell because they have good music and people relate to the lyrics. But acts that sold a lot that you don't like did so because of payola and record labels bought their own albums like Kenny G, Justin Timberlake, and Milli Vanilli. Alrighty then. lol You mentioned something about having a long career. Weird Al's first record came out around 1980 or 1981. He's still popular today and remained so longer than a lot of the acts he did parodies on. Yet you said in the other thread he's corny. The Monkees TV show is still re-run on TV and it's also on DVD and last year, Rhino (which is a part of Warner Brothers) released it on Blu Ray and it was the first time the episodes have been restored. Restoring film is an expensive and time consuming process. Do you think the company would do that if The Monkees won't sell? Their songs are used in movies, commercials, and TV shows and there's a Monkees convention every year. Kenny G released an album a couple of years ago, so he's still around and he was on a TV commercial that was shown a lot. Just because somebody is not on the radio doesn't mean their career is over. As far as Cardi B, I never said anything about her having a long career. But if the Kardashian family can remain popular all this time without really doing anything, then why not? razz

Weird Al and the Monkees are popular to you and few loons I actually worked in a record store back in the late 80s early 90s and our stupid store had loads of those stupid Monkee compliations that sat on the shelf.

Please explain why you do not hear from Kenny G or Milli anymore and Justin is barely making it.

Payola has been documented in serveral books about the music industry that you need to read.

Go out and find out how many much the Monkees and Weird Al have sold because I guarantee you most of that stuff went back to the distrubor and off to the cut out bins and dollar stores.

I have not heard a Monkee song in a movie or T.V show for years.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 10/04/17 10:02am

laurarichardso
n

StrangeButTrue said:

MickyDolenz said:

Explain Garth Brooks success then. He has more albums certified diamond (7) than anyone else, including Michael Jackson & The Beatles.

.

Country Music in 2017 IMHO is basically a corporate funded front for suggested white American nationalism, literally labelling a genre of music as representating an entire Country (which it absolutely is not). Garth Brooks can sang and he can play, . Nothin' wrong with that. Remember when he literally tried to be someone else (Chris Gaines) and failed? Its because he has the "it factor" and great stage presence.

Co-sign but realize Country music has good hooks, middle of the road, non-offensive and most of the artist can actually sing or play instrutment. It will always have an audience. The Cardi B' s, Milli Villin, and novelty acts like the Monkees don't.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 10/04/17 10:24am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

laurarichardson said:

StrangeButTrue said:

.

Country Music in 2017 IMHO is basically a corporate funded front for suggested white American nationalism, literally labelling a genre of music as representating an entire Country (which it absolutely is not). Garth Brooks can sang and he can play, . Nothin' wrong with that. Remember when he literally tried to be someone else (Chris Gaines) and failed? Its because he has the "it factor" and great stage presence.

Co-sign but realize Country music has good hooks, middle of the road, non-offensive and most of the artist can actually sing or play instrutment. It will always have an audience. The Cardi B' s, Milli Villin, and novelty acts like the Monkees don't.

.

This ties to my point about music education wayyyy back... Remember "Save The Music" from a few years back? Donations? Gov't funding? Whatever happened with that?

http://www.npr.org/2017/0...blic-media

.

https://nafme.org/music-a...lans-2017/.

.

I don't need to know 12 notes when I can press buttons and cut/paste 8 bars.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 10/04/17 11:55am

MickyDolenz

avatar

laurarichardson said:

Weird Al and the Monkees are popular to you and few loons I actually worked in a record store back in the late 80s early 90s and our stupid store had loads of those stupid Monkee compliations that sat on the shelf.

Please explain why you do not hear from Kenny G or Milli anymore and Justin is barely making it.

Tom Petty is a big Monkees fan and interviewed Micky Dolenz in 2016 on his radio show when The Monkees released their new album Good Times. Tom has mentioned the group thoughout the years. So are you saying Tom is a loon?

https://78.media.tumblr.com/1cf24fd7c9e1fabbd3f61791d88fa772/tumblr_ox7vxpGlWQ1rw606ko1_r3_1280.jpg

I just told you Kenny G still releases albums. He's on Concord Records with other veteran acts like George Benson and Fourplay. Do you hear George Benson's newer albums on the radio or see him on TV? There's a thread open right now about Fabrice Morvan from Milli Vanilli where in a new interview he mentions that there's a Milli Vanilli biopic in pre-production and that he performs in a group with John Davis. John was the voice of Fab on the Milli Vanilli records. Here's the interview.

Justin is barely making it? lol He had one of the most popular songs of last year with Can't Stop The Feeling. His skits on the Tonight Show are popular as well. If he's barely making it, why would the NFL be in negotiations with him? People have different tastes. Just because you don't like something or don't pay attention to it doesn't mean it's not popular. That's like someone who doesn't like comic books saying superhero movies do not make any money today when that is not true. In India, Bollywood music is really popular, less so in the USA. Same for J-Pop & K-Pop in some countries. Tejano music is popular with Mexicans. Where I live, I hear people playing Tejano all the time and there's several local Tejano radio stations. Many cities have Renaissance Faires every year, because there's an audience for that.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 10/04/17 12:07pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

StrangeButTrue said:

Country Music in 2017 IMHO is basically a corporate funded front for suggested white American nationalism, literally labelling a genre of music as representating an entire Country (which it absolutely is not).

Huh? Country in this case means rural, small town, or appalachian people and they often speak in a drawl like the Clampetts on Beverly Hillbillies or the people on The Dukes Of Hazzard. Listen to Tramp by Otis Redding & Carla Thomas. Carla calls Otis "country" because he wears overalls, which is a stereotype of country people or hillbillies. Country is really short for "country & western" or C&W. Decades ago westerns were really popular in the US. Some of the first recording stars were "singing cowboys" like Gene Autry and Tex Ritter, who is the father of actor John Ritter. Country culture has bluegrass music, square dancing, rodeos

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 10/04/17 12:30pm

StrangeButTrue

avatar

Key words: Decades ago. Just like hip hop isn't kids standing on corners wearing high top Adidas in 2017. Its kids whos moms bought them Macbooks that took courses. Smoke & mirrors. A whole other discussion tbh.

.

I see Country Music performers nowadays and they and their audience look more like the cast of a CW teen romance drama then The Beverly Hillbillies.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 10/04/17 1:31pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

StrangeButTrue said:

Key words: Decades ago. Just like hip hop isn't kids standing on corners wearing high top Adidas in 2017. Its kids whos moms bought them Macbooks that took courses. Smoke & mirrors. A whole other discussion tbh.

.

I see Country Music performers nowadays and they and their audience look more like the cast of a CW teen romance drama then The Beverly Hillbillies.

If you watch some country music TV shows of the 1960s, the audience is wearing suit & ties, not jeans, overalls, & plaid shirts. So are the performers or they wore flashy Nudie suits. If you look up early 1960s footage of Willie Nelson, he's wearing a suit, has short hair and is clean shaven, same for Waylon Jennings. The late 1960s hippie rock bands looked more like hillbillies than the average country singer of the time. It was mainly Hee Haw in the 1970s and the big success of Burt Reynolds moonshine car chase movies, Clint Eastwood orangutan movies, and trucker CB radios, that popularized the look that is associated with country music today. There was even an episode of Good Times that was about CB radios. The success of Smokey & The Bandit is pretty much why TV shows like BJ & The Bear and Dukes Of Hazzard were created. Dukes lasted 7 seasons.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 10/09/17 9:46pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 10/09/17 9:47pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 10/10/17 10:06am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

Isn't it somethin' that alot of the rapper have the same flow/beats and that alot of the country singers have the same singing "accent" and backing music? Like if u put a Drake song and a Future song on I couldn't tell them apart just as I wouldn't be able to discern Jason Aldean from Blake Shelton. Idk maybe I'm just old and miss when music was a bit more diverse despite its "genre" labels.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 10/10/17 10:14am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

.

These videos made me sad, Mick. You're a trick bitch if you dig this monkey sensation shit. She talks like an idiot and looks like she smells like a dick. See I can speak the language but its still corny and childish. Maybe that is where we are at in society. The other day there was some video link saying like "watch this adorable 6 year old cover bodak yellow" who wants to watch kindergardeners rap about hoes and cutting bitches lol

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 10/10/17 11:17am

MickyDolenz

avatar

StrangeButTrue said:

who wants to watch kindergardeners rap about hoes and cutting bitches lol

I take it you've never heard a Kidz Bop CD. razz There's been over 30 volumes by now and they sell pretty well. Some of them even made the Top 10 albums in Billboard, which is rare for children's albums. People watch videos of anything like cats, schoolyard fights, ice bucket challenge, mannequin challenge, etc. America's Funniest Home Videos is still in production and has been on the air since 1990. Here's some famous people doing the "For the D/P" challenge

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 10/10/17 11:38am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

See thats grown-ups though lol if Debbie Allen wants to play the fool good for her she earned it.

.

Another interesting factoid I've learned about "Bodak Yellow" is that it is essentially a cover of another song "No Flockin", this guy could give Dr. Suess a run for his money.

"Young nigga, I got old cash, spazzing on they ass
I got Prada on my ho ass, got my last one mad
Pop a nigga like a damn tag, shopping on they ass
I just bought a new old Jag, yeah, it's so fast
Smoking flocka, you a jackass, all I smoke is gas
Don't you ask me where the pole at, where your clothes at?
I ain't talking 'bout my niggas damn it, but y'all tripping, too
Is it you? Damn, my nigga what the hell got into you?
Project Baby, y'all was skipping in the hallway, I was skipping school
On my Ps and Qs, all them jiggas, call me jiggaboo
Bleeding concrete, bet you niggas won't come cross the street
Pardon me, I don't talk to you, so don't you talk to me
I ain't dissing on nobody beat, I'm vibing on the beat
Honestly, I'm just trying to be, I just gotta be
Trying to get over on anything, they telling lies to me
I spent five on my pinky ring, she love my diamond ring
Anyway, I'm married to the game, she said her vows to me
I ain't getting on my knees, bae, you bow down to me
You go down for me, you lay down and do the time for me
Sorry boo, yeah I lie to you, but don't you lie to me
It's little Kodak, the finesse kid, boy who hot as me?
Told the doctor I'm a healthy kid, I smoke broccoli
I will run around your whole board like Monopoly
Ol' boy, you's a broke boy, flockas got you beat
Chocolate, call me Reese's, can't catch me without the piece
C'est la vie, I'm ten toes down, you falling off your feet
I will trick your ass for a treat, call it Halloween
Yeah that money's what I play for, call it lottery
Goddamn, you's a clown to me, you's a clown to me
You can't smoke no Black & Mild with me, get in the car with me
You a funny guy, don't you even joke around with me
How could it be? Get from 'round a G, you grounded from me
I'm a Freeband junkie, you a junkie
You getting skinny, I'm getting chunky, getting money
Want some food? Boy you hungry, I want them hundreds, hundreds"

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 10/10/17 12:06pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

StrangeButTrue said:

See thats grown-ups though lol

What about 1990s kid & teen rappers like Illegal, Da Youngstas, 5th Ward Juvenilez, Kris Kross, and Another Bad Creation? On Kris Kross' 1st album there's songs like Lil' Boys In The Hood & It's A Shame about the streets.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 10/10/17 1:13pm

paisleypark4

avatar

You know to stay young? Staying up to date and focused on what's popular. hey some of us may not like it, however you will be very educated and able to have discussions with the goings on of NOW. you don;'t have to dislike things from the past but yet in still it is okay to stay up to date and knowledgeable about it.

I dislike discussing current music, movies shows with people who haven't listened to anything since 2005..it's like...we have nothing to talk about that's up to date...hence you're boring.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 10/10/17 1:35pm

StrangeButTrue

avatar

paisleypark4 are we not discussing this with you then? Your comment didn't really add anything that makes you seem "educated or able to have discussions with the goings on of NOW". I am unsure what your comment adds to the discussion. I dislike discussing life with people who have been taught that because something is shiny and new it is unique or flawless. As this is a rewritten song it is not new nor unique, it is comparable the ABC song and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star just with a bunch of hoe pride inserted.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 10/10/17 1:59pm

stpaisios

Well, ppl understand that those covers are just... attention seeking liitle youtubers. But no one can't judge really as long as they having fun, like with Gangam Style few yrs ago... lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 10/10/17 2:09pm

paisleypark4

avatar

StrangeButTrue said:

paisleypark4 are we not discussing this with you then? Your comment didn't really add anything that makes you seem "educated or able to have discussions with the goings on of NOW". I am unsure what your comment adds to the discussion. I dislike discussing life with people who have been taught that because something is shiny and new it is unique or flawless. As this is a rewritten song it is not new nor unique, it is comparable the ABC song and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star just with a bunch of hoe pride inserted.

Let me get you right together hunny..





Image result for receipts gif


Well mostly, all you have done in this thread is complain 12 times about a song you 'don't like'. However given the receipts I just checked, you must feel some type of way about it.

Ya we heard ya, k thanks. Move on.

She talks like an idiot and looks like she smells like a dick.


Oh, why yes thank you for your lovely insightful contribution to said subject on music. I will read more of your smart thoughts and opinions on said matters.



Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 10/10/17 2:10pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

StrangeButTrue said:

I dislike discussing life with people who have been taught that because something is shiny and new it is unique or flawless. As this is a rewritten song it is not new nor unique, it is comparable the ABC song and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star just with a bunch of hoe pride inserted.

Nobody said this song is unique. The article is about the song going #1. Since when has it been a requirement that a song has to be different to be popular? That's generally not the case. What's unique about Gangnam Style, U Can't Touch This, I Will Always Love You, or Macarena? I can find songs from all decades of the record industry that sounds like another song. I don't really care about something being unique, only that I like it. Anyway if you have to look up Cardi B to see who she is, then you're not up to date. lol It's interesting that there's several open threads about old songs & performers, but they get few responses, since that's supposed to be the music that a lot of people here say they like. But it's the current acts who get a lot of action, like somebody who always go into Beyoncé & Justin Timberlake threads to talk about a conspiracy.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 10/10/17 2:11pm

stpaisios

This Cardi B thing isn/t really some bright and encouraging example of current music and atmosphere, maybe in some specific communites, but its not a thing someone from europe like me would take serious and push it further for discussing it at any level... u know.

paisleypark4 said:

I dislike discussing current music, movies shows with people who haven't listened to anything since 2005..it's like...we have nothing to talk about that's up to date...hence you're boring.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 10/10/17 2:13pm

StrangeButTrue

avatar

I'm still going on the "without feature since Lauryn Hill" part of the thread - its insulting and sad. lol Just like the song itself.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 10/10/17 2:19pm

StrangeButTrue

avatar

I love how y'all are defending this shit like its the Mona Lisa of hip hop when its some Dollar Store bobo shit.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 10/10/17 2:30pm

stpaisios

MickyDolenz said:

StrangeButTrue said:

I dislike discussing life with people who have been taught that because something is shiny and new it is unique or flawless. As this is a rewritten song it is not new nor unique, it is comparable the ABC song and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star just with a bunch of hoe pride inserted.

Nobody said this song is unique. The article is about the song going #1. Since when has it been a requirement that a song has to be different to be popular? That's generally not the case. What's unique about Gangnam Style, U Can't Touch This, I Will Always Love You, or Macarena? I can find songs from all decades of the record industry that sounds like another song. I don't really care about something being unique, only that I like it. Anyway if you have to look up Cardi B to see who she is, then you're not up to date. lol It's interesting that there's several open threads about old songs & performers, but they get few responses, since that's supposed to be the music that a lot of people here say they like. But it's the current acts who get a lot of action, like somebody who always go into Beyoncé & Justin Timberlake threads to talk about a conspiracy.

Well, honey, i care about uniqueness, about style, about songwriting, about lyrics, about talent... it's hard seeking for that after Prince, i know...BUT let me be clear here, i ain't saying my taste is better, not better than others, but with music is like with books. I will of course have pre-judgment on someone due to their digging Dan Brown over Thomas Mann for example. Dan Brown is a writer, but a bad one. So is this Cardi B thing, u know, Cardi for giving ppl Cardiac arrest around the world lol

And good that you mention Beyonce and Justin cuz they are uniquely ununique... that is probably the reason i dont really care about their catalog, but of course i LISTEN to them, like i listened Cardi B to find why ppl dig them so musch.

[Edited 10/10/17 14:32pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 10/10/17 2:31pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

stpaisios said:

This Cardi B thing isn/t really some bright and encouraging example of current music and atmosphere, maybe in some specific communites, but its not a thing someone from europe like me would take serious and push it further for discussing it at any level... u know.

Why are you here then? Why don't you make a thread of something you like to discuss? I've always noticed that the people here that come into threads to say "today's music sucks" never make their own threads.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Cardi B: 1st Female Rapper To Hit No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100 Without Feature Since Lauryn Hill