independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 11th Nov 2019 1:53pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Why isn't more made of Michael Jackson's vocal evolution?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/26/17 12:41pm

smoothcriminal
12

Why isn't more made of Michael Jackson's vocal evolution?

In my opinion, Michael Jackson had one of the most unique and eccentric voices in pop music and I am continuously intrigued by his transition from being a traditional but brilliant child singer to an aggressive, biting and almost manic vocalist as an adult. Sure he had his softer moments on his ballads, but for the most part he sang his uptempto songs with this angry, strained grit (I say this in a positive way, I love it).

Much is made of Jackson's dancing and influence on popular music, but why hasn't his voice been studied as closely? I would love to read a book on his technique and influences and how his voice evolved throughout his decades-long career.

And furthemore, I'd love to hear what sone of you think of his voice.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/26/17 12:48pm

MattyJam

avatar

There was an interesting thread about this on my MJ board..... http://mymjjforum.boards....hael-adult

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/26/17 12:57pm

smoothcriminal
12

MattyJam said:

There was an interesting thread about this on my MJ board..... http://mymjjforum.boards....hael-adult


Wow. I am going to join this board. Love it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/29/17 12:18am

Adorecream

I think it is great, and definitely believe his voice never stopped evolving. I still think rather controversially, his best vocal work is on Invincible (Only songwriting and craft was slipping, but the vocals), listen to them on songs like Speechless, Break of Dawn, Cry and Don't walk away - I mean wow his vocals just melt. Then again his vocals were always great.

.

In basic I divide his vocals into 4 periods.

.

1. Kiddie but soulful 1968 - 1973 (All J5 to Skywriter and Music and Me)

2. Teenage, mature sounding but still highish - 1974 - 1975 (Dancing Machine and Forever came today are good examples, mature, but it sound strained and its breaking)

3. Young adult, smooth with falsetto - lots of warmth 1976 - 1985, Great here and Show you the way to go, is a good example of 17/18 year old Michael trying out that warm adult voice he had through OTW and Thriller.

4. Mature adult 1986 - death, as above, but less falsetto, more growly vocals - especially Bad onwards, lots of Shmons and Aows!! Melisma, rock vocal, sexy ballad vocals and talking in songs (Will you be there etc).

.

I could go on for ages, but his voice was liquid gold, it had warmth, power and just grabbed you.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/29/17 4:18pm

TrailerparkPoe
t

avatar

smoothcriminal12 said:

In my opinion, Michael Jackson had one of the most unique and eccentric voices in pop music and I am continuously intrigued by his transition from being a traditional but brilliant child singer to an aggressive, biting and almost manic vocalist as an adult. Sure he had his softer moments on his ballads, but for the most part he sang his uptempto songs with this angry, strained grit (I say this in a positive way, I love it). Much is made of Jackson's dancing and influence on popular music, but why hasn't his voice been studied as closely? I would love to read a book on his technique and influences and how his voice evolved throughout his decades-long career. And furthemore, I'd love to hear what sone of you think of his voice.

Adorecream said:

I think it is great, and definitely believe his voice never stopped evolving. I still think rather controversially, his best vocal work is on Invincible (Only songwriting and craft was slipping, but the vocals), listen to them on songs like Speechless, Break of Dawn, Cry and Don't walk away - I mean wow his vocals just melt. Then again his vocals were always great.

.

In basic I divide his vocals into 4 periods.

.

1. Kiddie but soulful 1968 - 1973 (All J5 to Skywriter and Music and Me)

2. Teenage, mature sounding but still highish - 1974 - 1975 (Dancing Machine and Forever came today are good examples, mature, but it sound strained and its breaking)

3. Young adult, smooth with falsetto - lots of warmth 1976 - 1985, Great here and Show you the way to go, is a good example of 17/18 year old Michael trying out that warm adult voice he had through OTW and Thriller.

4. Mature adult 1986 - death, as above, but less falsetto, more growly vocals - especially Bad onwards, lots of Shmons and Aows!! Melisma, rock vocal, sexy ballad vocals and talking in songs (Will you be there etc).

.

I could go on for ages, but his voice was liquid gold, it had warmth, power and just grabbed you.

These are great posts. Thank you.

I need to pull out my MJ records again. It's been too long.

[Edited 9/29/17 16:20pm]

[Edited 9/29/17 16:21pm]

I ain't going out for a slice of the devil's pie.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/30/17 5:42am

Free2BMe

Adorecream said:

I think it is great, and definitely believe his voice never stopped evolving. I still think rather controversially, his best vocal work is on Invincible (Only songwriting and craft was slipping, but the vocals), listen to them on songs like Speechless, Break of Dawn, Cry and Don't walk away - I mean wow his vocals just melt. Then again his vocals were always great.


.


In basic I divide his vocals into 4 periods.


.


1. Kiddie but soulful 1968 - 1973 (All J5 to Skywriter and Music and Me)


2. Teenage, mature sounding but still highish - 1974 - 1975 (Dancing Machine and Forever came today are good examples, mature, but it sound strained and its breaking)


3. Young adult, smooth with falsetto - lots of warmth 1976 - 1985, Great here and Show you the way to go, is a good example of 17/18 year old Michael trying out that warm adult voice he had through OTW and Thriller.


4. Mature adult 1986 - death, as above, but less falsetto, more growly vocals - especially Bad onwards, lots of Shmons and Aows!! Melisma, rock vocal, sexy ballad vocals and talking in songs (Will you be there etc).


.


I could go on for ages, but his voice was liquid gold, it had warmth, power and just grabbed you.



Great post! I especially love this part:" ...his voice was liquid gold, it had warmth, power and just grabbed you. " I agree 100%. Michael's voice makes me feel like no other singer.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/30/17 6:12am

alphastreet

I love you for this thread.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/30/17 10:51am

thetimefan

avatar

For me, this is one of Mike's best vocal performances

and also

[Edited 9/30/17 10:53am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Why isn't more made of Michael Jackson's vocal evolution?