independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Madonna Can't Sing
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 10/13/15 1:20am

rlittler81

avatar

214 said:

rlittler81 said:

Me too. Something about it resonates with me. She has a very honest and sincere voice.

Yes, but her lyrics especially in the ballads are so honest, a very raw emotion, different from the Prince and Jackson ballads that sometimes sounded a littler more cliché.

I agree, I think that's because M has always been more grounded than those two.

3121... Don't U Wanna Come?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 10/13/15 4:08am

mancabdriver

I like the girl – I have many of her albums and seen her on tour twice. She definitely deserves her legendary status.

But my problem with her is that she doesn’t have a melodic voice – I don’t think she has ever attempted to do harmonising in any of her tracks, most of the time it’s harsh and it seems forced especially her earlier work.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 10/13/15 5:36am

Glindathegood

mancabdriver said:

I like the girl – I have many of her albums and seen her on tour twice. She definitely deserves her legendary status.

But my problem with her is that she doesn’t have a melodic voice – I don’t think she has ever attempted to do harmonising in any of her tracks, most of the time it’s harsh and it seems forced especially her earlier work.

I'm not clear what you mean. All of Madonna's songs are very melodic.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 10/13/15 6:09am

mancabdriver

Glindathegood said:

mancabdriver said:

I like the girl – I have many of her albums and seen her on tour twice. She definitely deserves her legendary status.

But my problem with her is that she doesn’t have a melodic voice – I don’t think she has ever attempted to do harmonising in any of her tracks, most of the time it’s harsh and it seems forced especially her earlier work.

I'm not clear what you mean. All of Madonna's songs are very melodic.

She can't harmonise.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 10/13/15 6:23am

Glindathegood

mancabdriver said:

Glindathegood said:

I'm not clear what you mean. All of Madonna's songs are very melodic.

She can't harmonise.

What do you mean by harmonizing? In a lot of her recordings, instead of backing singers, she does her own background vocals which are layered over her voice.

I don't really think of harmonizing as something solo singers do. Harmonizing to me is something I associate more with vocal groups of several singers.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 10/13/15 7:01am

terrig

I'm sorry, Madonna is alot of things, but sounding 'not bad', doesnt make her able to sing. She does sound better than she used to but c'mon. Everything else she does is great but the voice? no, no no.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 10/13/15 7:18am

mancabdriver

Glindathegood said:

mancabdriver said:

She can't harmonise.

What do you mean by harmonizing? In a lot of her recordings, instead of backing singers, she does her own background vocals which are layered over her voice.

I don't really think of harmonizing as something solo singers do. Harmonizing to me is something I associate more with vocal groups of several singers.

Many solo singers use their own backing vocals to produce a softer and pleasant sound.

She may have attempted it but I don't hear it in her music, which perhaps suggests she does a bad job of it.

If you think she is a good singer - then well, enjoy!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 10/13/15 8:32am

Guitarhero

terrig said:

I'm sorry, Madonna is alot of things, but sounding 'not bad', doesnt make her able to sing. She does sound better than she used to but c'mon. Everything else she does is great but the voice? no, no no.

Finally someone talking sense , Madonna cannot sing and never could and her appeal was to shock Like a Prayer video , Sex Book ETC>

[Edited 10/13/15 8:33am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 10/13/15 12:56pm

214

rlittler81 said:

214 said:

Yes, but her lyrics especially in the ballads are so honest, a very raw emotion, different from the Prince and Jackson ballads that sometimes sounded a littler more cliché.

I agree, I think that's because M has always been more grounded than those two.

Perhaps that's why. And experience, i think she has had a lot of heartbreaks in her way.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 10/13/15 12:58pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

mancabdriver said:

Glindathegood said:

I'm not clear what you mean. All of Madonna's songs are very melodic.

She can't harmonise.

her song Rain (live) with Donna & Nikki

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER


What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 10/13/15 1:00pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

CynicKill said:

phillymonster said:

Of course, you use the Ray of Light performance as a sample of her singing. Yes, that was awful. Her earpiece went out during the performance.

>

I was referring to OF4S's post about her vocals during Ray of Light being strong.

a performance vs album, vs the tour,
The show you played actually showed her control singing the Hindu language, the 2nd part she was sloppier

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER


What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 10/13/15 1:56pm

terrig

Guitarhero said:

terrig said:

I'm sorry, Madonna is alot of things, but sounding 'not bad', doesnt make her able to sing. She does sound better than she used to but c'mon. Everything else she does is great but the voice? no, no no.

Finally someone talking sense , Madonna cannot sing and never could and her appeal was to shock Like a Prayer video , Sex Book ETC>

[Edited 10/13/15 8:33am]



exactly...and she did that amazingly well....even janet jackson has a better voice than madonna - but their voices arent what we're there for, and its fine smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 10/13/15 3:42pm

Glindathegood

Guitarhero said:

terrig said:

I'm sorry, Madonna is alot of things, but sounding 'not bad', doesnt make her able to sing. She does sound better than she used to but c'mon. Everything else she does is great but the voice? no, no no.

Finally someone talking sense , Madonna cannot sing and never could and her appeal was to shock Like a Prayer video , Sex Book ETC>

[Edited 10/13/15 8:33am]

You really think that the reason Like A Prayer was successful because of the video? It's one of the most enduring songs that people still love hearing. I don't see how anyone can listen to that and say she can't sing. Or a song like Live to Tell.

If she was just about shock value, she wouldn't still be around. People who say she can't sing have never actually listened to her recordings or been to one of her concerts. They have just been told that by the media.

Yes, Madonna has other elements besides purely singing such as her statements about sex, women and society, but her fans do love her voice. But most artists' appeal are a mix of a lot of different things.

Madonna is a much better singer than Janet Jackson. She has much more variety to her vocals, where is Janet basically just whispers.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 10/13/15 5:17pm

terrig

Glindathegood said:

Guitarhero said:

Finally someone talking sense , Madonna cannot sing and never could and her appeal was to shock Like a Prayer video , Sex Book ETC>

[Edited 10/13/15 8:33am]

You really think that the reason Like A Prayer was successful because of the video? It's one of the most enduring songs that people still love hearing. I don't see how anyone can listen to that and say she can't sing. Or a song like Live to Tell.

If she was just about shock value, she wouldn't still be around. People who say she can't sing have never actually listened to her recordings or been to one of her concerts. They have just been told that by the media.

Yes, Madonna has other elements besides purely singing such as her statements about sex, women and society, but her fans do love her voice. But most artists' appeal are a mix of a lot of different things.

Madonna is a much better singer than Janet Jackson. She has much more variety to her vocals, where is Janet basically just whispers.



Sorry no, I have all her records ALL of them and have been to almost every tour....she cant sing. The songs are great. Sounding good enough, isn't 'she can sing'. But when you think of 'singers' Madonna isnt making a 'singers' list, okay? lolololol


To me janet/jlo/madonna are all about the same

I rank them like this Janet Madonna Jlo <<<<<they are all huge and important, but its not because of the vocal ability. That just the truth, and its fine.

Katy Perry can outsing Madonna. People are famous for alot of reasons but if Madonna did an audition on the voice - no one would turn around.

[Edited 10/13/15 17:18pm]

[Edited 10/13/15 17:21pm]

[Edited 10/13/15 17:23pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 10/13/15 6:51pm

Mintchip

avatar

terrig said:

Glindathegood said:

You really think that the reason Like A Prayer was successful because of the video? It's one of the most enduring songs that people still love hearing. I don't see how anyone can listen to that and say she can't sing. Or a song like Live to Tell.

If she was just about shock value, she wouldn't still be around. People who say she can't sing have never actually listened to her recordings or been to one of her concerts. They have just been told that by the media.

Yes, Madonna has other elements besides purely singing such as her statements about sex, women and society, but her fans do love her voice. But most artists' appeal are a mix of a lot of different things.

Madonna is a much better singer than Janet Jackson. She has much more variety to her vocals, where is Janet basically just whispers.



Sorry no, I have all her records ALL of them and have been to almost every tour....she cant sing. The songs are great. Sounding good enough, isn't 'she can sing'. But when you think of 'singers' Madonna isnt making a 'singers' list, okay? lolololol


To me janet/jlo/madonna are all about the same

I rank them like this Janet Madonna Jlo <<<<<they are all huge and important, but its not because of the vocal ability. That just the truth, and its fine.

Katy Perry can outsing Madonna. People are famous for alot of reasons but if Madonna did an audition on the voice - no one would turn around.

[Edited 10/13/15 17:18pm]

[Edited 10/13/15 17:21pm]

[Edited 10/13/15 17:23pm]

I agree, if i have to vote yes or no, spin my chair or stay in place, I'd sit still and vote No. But why do we have to be black or white (other than: this is the internet, dummy). Grey's more fun!

.

Lump her in with Aimee Mann, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell: honest voices, but maybe won't spin chair on The Voice. It's cool, but we don't have to say "They can't!"

.

Likewise, I always wonder why every female vocalist is graded on the Aretha Franklin Scale of Soulful Singing, where Madonna would obvsly fail, but male vocalists get a pass. Nobody relates Mick Jagger, John Lennon, or Bob Dylan (honest voices) to Sam Cooke (who blows them all away).

.

Gloria Estefan, Sheila E, Liz Phair. They can sing! Let them! Just not when Aretha's onstage.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 10/14/15 5:14am

Glindathegood

terrig said:



Sorry no, I have all her records ALL of them and have been to almost every tour....she cant sing. The songs are great. Sounding good enough, isn't 'she can sing'. But when you think of 'singers' Madonna isnt making a 'singers' list, okay? lolololol


To me janet/jlo/madonna are all about the same

I rank them like this Janet Madonna Jlo <<<<<they are all huge and important, but its not because of the vocal ability. That just the truth, and its fine.

Katy Perry can outsing Madonna. People are famous for alot of reasons but if Madonna did an audition on the voice - no one would turn around.

[Edited 10/13/15 17:18pm]

[Edited 10/13/15 17:21pm]

[Edited 10/13/15 17:23pm]

Katy Perry? Have you heard her sing live? I like a lot of her songs, but she is the worst live singer ever.

You say she can't sing. But you buy all her records and go to her all tours. How can you enjoy someone that you say can't sing?

There are different types of singing. Not everyone has to belt like Aretha Franklin. The Voice isn't a good example because most of those people never become successful so maybe their singing isn't as good as you think.

Madonna has a far superior voice to most pop/dance divas of the same genre, Britney, JLO, Janet, etc.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 10/14/15 9:36am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

terrig said:

Guitarhero said:

Finally someone talking sense , Madonna cannot sing and never could and her appeal was to shock Like a Prayer video , Sex Book ETC>

[Edited 10/13/15 8:33am]



exactly...and she did that amazingly well....even janet jackson has a better voice than madonna - but their voices arent what we're there for, and its fine smile

I agree it isn't the singing ability that draws people in.

But to Guitarhero it wasn't shock value either. Like A Prayer and Sex book came almost 10 yrs after the start of her career.
The thing with Janet and Madonna more specifically is that there is a passion there. With Madonna she has a vision and direction, her life journey goes through her music.

She's 'touchable'

I've heard lots of people who 'CAN SING' but they have no passion, or no vision, they just can sing.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER


What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 10/14/15 9:38am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Guitarhero said:

terrig said:

I'm sorry, Madonna is alot of things, but sounding 'not bad', doesnt make her able to sing. She does sound better than she used to but c'mon. Everything else she does is great but the voice? no, no no.

Finally someone talking sense , Madonna cannot sing and never could and her appeal was to shock Like a Prayer video , Sex Book ETC>

[Edited 10/13/15 8:33am]

That stuff came much later in her already superstar career. And nothing wrong with creating sub-culture' surrounding the music. Prince did it throught his 1980s. And he succeeded, not so much in the 90s -

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER


What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 10/14/15 1:56pm

mynameisnotsus
an

It's funny that this thread is essentially the same continuous debate that has been ongoing with Madonna since 1983 lol
It's almost inspirational in a way. If she had listened to the first critic or person that had said 'You can't sing - go take a seat and be quiet' she probably would still be in Detroit.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 10/15/15 6:54am

Beautifulstarr
123

avatar

I remembered when she once had said that she knows that she can't sing, but she knows how to market herself. That she does. However, between the 80's and the present, I've heard more improvement in her voice. I've also remembered when she came out in the 80's, the critics used to call her the slut who can't sing.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 10/15/15 12:54pm

terrig

Glindathegood said:

terrig said:



Sorry no, I have all her records ALL of them and have been to almost every tour....she cant sing. The songs are great. Sounding good enough, isn't 'she can sing'. But when you think of 'singers' Madonna isnt making a 'singers' list, okay? lolololol


To me janet/jlo/madonna are all about the same

I rank them like this Janet Madonna Jlo <<<<<they are all huge and important, but its not because of the vocal ability. That just the truth, and its fine.

Katy Perry can outsing Madonna. People are famous for alot of reasons but if Madonna did an audition on the voice - no one would turn around.

[Edited 10/13/15 17:18pm]

[Edited 10/13/15 17:21pm]

[Edited 10/13/15 17:23pm]

Katy Perry? Have you heard her sing live? I like a lot of her songs, but she is the worst live singer ever.

You say she can't sing. But you buy all her records and go to her all tours. How can you enjoy someone that you say can't sing?

There are different types of singing. Not everyone has to belt like Aretha Franklin. The Voice isn't a good example because most of those people never become successful so maybe their singing isn't as good as you think.

Madonna has a far superior voice to most pop/dance divas of the same genre, Britney, JLO, Janet, etc.


Just stahhhhhhhp.

She cant sing, but she does sound better. Theres limits to everyones abilities, she found hers. Saying she's good doesnt make it true. She's good enough, clearly.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 10/15/15 2:19pm

SoulAlive

mynameisnotsusan said:

It's funny that this thread is essentially the same continuous debate that has been ongoing with Madonna since 1983 lol It's almost inspirational in a way. If she had listened to the first critic or person that had said 'You can't sing - go take a seat and be quiet' she probably would still be in Detroit.

Back in 1983,people were saying that she would be a one-hit wonder and a year later,these same people were saying that Cyndi Lauper would have a lengthy career while Madonna would prove to be a flash-in-the-pan smile Isn't it funny how things worked out?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Madonna Can't Sing