independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 11th Nov 2019 12:33pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Revisiting Donna Summer...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/11/15 7:22pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Revisiting Donna Summer...

I had forgotten what wonderful songs Donna put out, including her rendition of MacArthur Park. I remember when my son was playing this on trumpet in the high school band and I went out looking for a CD with this song on it...and couldn't find it on Donna and More--like on the vinyl album I had way back when! I had to track down this song on The Dance Collection, which is wonderful. When is her back catalogue going to get remastered? Or her last album released?! I miss the orger who used to post her songs all the time...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/11/15 7:42pm

getxxxx

avatar

there was a whole dicussion of the GEFFEN era remasters which came out in 2014 in the reissue threads

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/11/15 8:19pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

getxxxx said:

there was a whole dicussion of the GEFFEN era remasters which came out in 2014 in the reissue threads

Guess I missed it. Thanks, I'll look for it. wink

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/11/15 8:27pm

SoulAlive

I got the box set for Christmas,but haven't had time to really listen to all this music! nuts Gotta make some time to get into this set

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/11/15 8:35pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

SoulAlive said:

I got the box set for Christmas,but haven't had time to really listen to all this music! nuts Gotta make some time to get into this set

eek I gotta get this! In the meantime, I have to listen to this song again...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/11/15 8:40pm

SoulAlive

^^"Walk Away" is one of her best songs music love the second verse...

I'm sure that I'll get over you,it'll take me awhile,you see

Next time,there won't be no next time....save all my feelings for me

thumbs up!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/11/15 8:43pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

SoulAlive said:

^^"Walk Away" is one of her best songs music love the second verse...

I'm sure that I'll get over you,it'll take me awhile,you see

Next time,there won't be no next time....save all my feelings for me

thumbs up!

This whole song is just perfection IMO. Gonna check on that sprawling collection you posted.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/12/15 2:37pm

SoulAlive

All they need to do now is release a remastered box set of all her Casablanca Records.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/12/15 8:23pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/12/15 8:52pm

SoulAlive

^^I remember seeing that TV special when it originally aired in January 1980.Back then,I thought it was the coolest TV special ever,lol.Watching it now,I find some parts to be really cheesy lol but I'd love for them to put it on DVD someday.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/21/15 6:28pm

SoulAlive

Remember her 1983 HBO concert special? I wish they would put that on DVD,too

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/22/15 8:15am

thedance

avatar

^ wow... Dim All The Lights - amazing..! woot!

I just heart Donna Summer.... music

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/23/15 10:37am

ChickenMcNugge
ts

avatar

Which do we think is the best of the Geffen reissues from last year?

I'd say the 1982 self-titled album, which is one of my faves of Donna's anyway... it's great to have the extended Love Is In Control and Sometimes Like Butterflies on CD at last.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/23/15 12:10pm

SoulAlive

ChickenMcNuggets said:

Which do we think is the best of the Geffen reissues from last year?

I'd say the 1982 self-titled album, which is one of my faves of Donna's anyway... it's great to have the extended Love Is In Control and Sometimes Like Butterflies on CD at last.

yeah,the self-titled album sounds amazing on the remaster! I notice things in the music that I never noticed before.I was always very impressed with the bright,vibrant production of this album and now it sounds even more vibrant than ever.

Last night,I listened to All Systems Go and was very impressed with that one,too.The extended remixes of "Dinner With Gershwin" and the title track are excellent.....a surprise to me,as I had never heard these versions before!

[Edited 2/23/15 12:11pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/25/15 7:54pm

SoulAlive

nod when I got the album in 1979,that song was an early favorite lol

purplethunder3121 said:

SoulAlive said:

^^"Walk Away" is one of her best songs music love the second verse...

I'm sure that I'll get over you,it'll take me awhile,you see

Next time,there won't be no next time....save all my feelings for me

thumbs up!

This whole song is just perfection IMO.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/02/15 7:54pm

SoulAlive

Donna Summer 'Live And More' Japan import version released in 2012....contains remastered sound and the complete 'MacArthur Park Suite'

Amazon review by a fan
First of all, let me say that the first cd version of this classic 1978 No. 1 double album (Billboard Top 200 album chart) which was issued in 1990 was truly a disappointment for three (3) major reasons. First, the packaging - the manufacturers of the cd (Polygram Records USA) chose to alter the cover of the cd version by taking out the original album cover showing a headshot of Donna holding a microphone with head tilted and eyes closed and instead placed on the cd cover another picture of Donna which is the inner picture you will see when you open the flap of the original double album. I mean what were the manufacturers thinking when they altered the original classic album cover for the first cd version? Apparently, they didn't really care or bother to recreate the look of the original album. Second, the exclusion of the original "MacArthur Park Suite" which was replaced by "Theme from The Deep (Down, Deep Inside)" because of time constraints. In the cd insert, there's a note which says "MacArthur Park Suite" was excluded because they wanted to keep it a single cd but, as an alternative, the suite could be found elsewhere in Donna's "Dance Collection" cd. Thirdly, and most importantly, the poor sound quality. The sound level of this first cd is so weak and so low you have to put the volume of your cd player to maximum to hear the songs! And for one to fully appreciate this live cd, glorious sound is a must for maximum enjoyment.

LIVE AND MORE (2012): NEW SHM-CD VERSION MANUFACTURED BY UNIVERSAL JAPAN

I was thrilled to find out that a few months after our beloved Donna's untimely and heartbreaking passing, news came out that Universal Japan was releasing in August 2012 "Live And More" as part of an 8-album Donna Summer SHM-CD cardboard sleeve reissue series. Despite the high cost of the cd (around $50.00 in the US and $33.06 in Japan), I still made it a point to own all 8 cds. What's the verdict? Well, this new 2012 expensive cd is definitely a better alternative than the crude version released in 1990. Why? In terms of packaging, Universal Japan (thank God) meticulously recaptured the original classic double album in cardboard sleeve form - and yes, as you can see in the picture of the 2012 cd, it is a beautiful reproduction of the original double album from the front cover to the inner pictures and the back cover. It also contains the original 17:59 minute version of "MacArthur Park Suite" which was in the original classic album. And finally, the sound level of this 2012 cd is definitely better and louder than the poor sound level of the 1990 cd. The new "Live And More" cd package contains English and Japanese lyrics. The only thing missing in this new cd version are album details (musicians studio side, musicians live side, special thanks from Donna) which could be found in both record jackets of the original double vinyl album. Nevertheless, thank you to Universal Japan for finally giving a classic Donna Summer album like "Live And More" the special cd treatment it has long deserved - we have waited 34 years for this gem!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/03/15 2:44pm

Ace

avatar

In his (lyric collection), Songs, Springsteen wrote:


‘Cover Me’ I’d originally written for Donna Summer. She could really sing and I disliked the veiled racism of the anti-disco movement. When I cut the demo, it came out so good that I held on to it. I later wrote another song, ‘Protection’, and recorded it with Donna and Quincy Jones in L.A.”

Springsteen played lead guitar on the song, and his backing vocals are audible. In the liner notes of a Springsteen tribute album which featured the previously-released recording, Summer wrote “Bruce wrote the song for me, and in fact, came to my house in Los Angeles for several days to get it done. I love the song as well as being a big Bruce Springsteen fan. It was the icing on the cake and a big moment in my life.”

"Acceptance, forgiveness, and love."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/03/15 5:29pm

leecappella

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

I miss the orger who used to post her songs all the time...

Awww. That's sweet:) I post here on very, very rare occasions, if I see something I want to reply to. You can find me on Facebook, if you're interested. I post, mainly, music. My name is Jimmie, so I call the songs I feature the Jimmie Jam Of The Day. That's, probably, what I called them when I posted here. Or, maybe, it was the Summer Song Of The Day here on the org. Of course, Donna Summer is still my favorite singer of them all, so I have designated Sundays as Donna Summer Sunday on my Facebook page. There's a music video of the song of the day and a Top 20 weekly countdown I share of the songs I'm playing the most during the year, just 'cos I love countdowns when Donna Summer is in the equation:) My Facebook page link is below. Always take a little Summer with you and thanks for missing me. I appreciate that kind statement.

Feel free to 'friend' me:

https://www.facebook.com/jimmieleecappella

[Edited 3/3/15 17:35pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/03/15 5:39pm

leecappella

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Remember her 1983 HBO concert special? I wish they would put that on DVD,too

You can get a dvd of that concert at the link below. I don't think, it's an official release, but the quality and packaging are 'official' looking. I believe, I got my dvd from this site as well. Thanks.

http://shop.vendio.com/supersounds/item/840250835/index.html

[Edited 3/3/15 17:39pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/03/15 7:09pm

SoulAlive

leecappella said:

SoulAlive said:

Remember her 1983 HBO concert special? I wish they would put that on DVD,too

You can get a dvd of that concert at the link below. I don't think, it's an official release, but the quality and packaging are 'official' looking. I believe, I got my dvd from this site as well. Thanks.

http://shop.vendio.com/supersounds/item/840250835/index.html

thanks for the info thumbs up!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/03/15 7:13pm

SoulAlive

Ace said:

In his (lyric collection), Songs, Springsteen wrote:


‘Cover Me’ I’d originally written for Donna Summer. She could really sing and I disliked the veiled racism of the anti-disco movement. When I cut the demo, it came out so good that I held on to it. I later wrote another song, ‘Protection’, and recorded it with Donna and Quincy Jones in L.A.”

Springsteen played lead guitar on the song, and his backing vocals are audible. In the liner notes of a Springsteen tribute album which featured the previously-released recording, Summer wrote “Bruce wrote the song for me, and in fact, came to my house in Los Angeles for several days to get it done. I love the song as well as being a big Bruce Springsteen fan. It was the icing on the cake and a big moment in my life.”

Donna and Bruce originally tried to record "Protection" as a duet,but it didn't work out.Their voices don't blend well together.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/03/15 7:17pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Donna Summer 'Live And More' Japan import version released in 2012....contains remastered sound and the complete 'MacArthur Park Suite'

Amazon review by a fan
First of all, let me say that the first cd version of this classic 1978 No. 1 double album (Billboard Top 200 album chart) which was issued in 1990 was truly a disappointment for three (3) major reasons. First, the packaging - the manufacturers of the cd (Polygram Records USA) chose to alter the cover of the cd version by taking out the original album cover showing a headshot of Donna holding a microphone with head tilted and eyes closed and instead placed on the cd cover another picture of Donna which is the inner picture you will see when you open the flap of the original double album. I mean what were the manufacturers thinking when they altered the original classic album cover for the first cd version? Apparently, they didn't really care or bother to recreate the look of the original album. Second, the exclusion of the original "MacArthur Park Suite" which was replaced by "Theme from The Deep (Down, Deep Inside)" because of time constraints. In the cd insert, there's a note which says "MacArthur Park Suite" was excluded because they wanted to keep it a single cd but, as an alternative, the suite could be found elsewhere in Donna's "Dance Collection" cd. Thirdly, and most importantly, the poor sound quality. The sound level of this first cd is so weak and so low you have to put the volume of your cd player to maximum to hear the songs! And for one to fully appreciate this live cd, glorious sound is a must for maximum enjoyment.

LIVE AND MORE (2012): NEW SHM-CD VERSION MANUFACTURED BY UNIVERSAL JAPAN

I was thrilled to find out that a few months after our beloved Donna's untimely and heartbreaking passing, news came out that Universal Japan was releasing in August 2012 "Live And More" as part of an 8-album Donna Summer SHM-CD cardboard sleeve reissue series. Despite the high cost of the cd (around $50.00 in the US and $33.06 in Japan), I still made it a point to own all 8 cds. What's the verdict? Well, this new 2012 expensive cd is definitely a better alternative than the crude version released in 1990. Why? In terms of packaging, Universal Japan (thank God) meticulously recaptured the original classic double album in cardboard sleeve form - and yes, as you can see in the picture of the 2012 cd, it is a beautiful reproduction of the original double album from the front cover to the inner pictures and the back cover. It also contains the original 17:59 minute version of "MacArthur Park Suite" which was in the original classic album. And finally, the sound level of this 2012 cd is definitely better and louder than the poor sound level of the 1990 cd. The new "Live And More" cd package contains English and Japanese lyrics. The only thing missing in this new cd version are album details (musicians studio side, musicians live side, special thanks from Donna) which could be found in both record jackets of the original double vinyl album. Nevertheless, thank you to Universal Japan for finally giving a classic Donna Summer album like "Live And More" the special cd treatment it has long deserved - we have waited 34 years for this gem!

Thank you, Soul Alive! biggrin

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/03/15 7:20pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

leecappella said:

purplethunder3121 said:

I miss the orger who used to post her songs all the time...

Awww. That's sweet:) I post here on very, very rare occasions, if I see something I want to reply to. You can find me on Facebook, if you're interested. I post, mainly, music. My name is Jimmie, so I call the songs I feature the Jimmie Jam Of The Day. That's, probably, what I called them when I posted here. Or, maybe, it was the Summer Song Of The Day here on the org. Of course, Donna Summer is still my favorite singer of them all, so I have designated Sundays as Donna Summer Sunday on my Facebook page. There's a music video of the song of the day and a Top 20 weekly countdown I share of the songs I'm playing the most during the year, just 'cos I love countdowns when Donna Summer is in the equation:) My Facebook page link is below. Always take a little Summer with you and thanks for missing me. I appreciate that kind statement.

Feel free to 'friend' me:

https://www.facebook.com/jimmieleecappella

[Edited 3/3/15 17:35pm]

Thanks for that, Jimmie! I really loved your Summer Song of the Day threads. I'll be sure to check out your facebook link, since you are so kind. I am a real music lover like you; couldn't live without my favorites. wink

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/03/15 7:23pm

Ace

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Ace said:

Donna and Bruce originally tried to record "Protection" as a duet,but it didn't work out.Their voices don't blend well together.


That's a fan mash-up of Donna's recording and a Springsteen studio bootleg.

"Acceptance, forgiveness, and love."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/03/15 7:27pm

SoulAlive

Ace said:

SoulAlive said:

Donna and Bruce originally tried to record "Protection" as a duet,but it didn't work out.Their voices don't blend well together.


That's a fan mash-up of Donna's recording and a Springsteen studio bootleg.

yeah it is,but they originally recorded it as a duet,but Donna later said that it didn't work out.I don't think the original duet is circulating anywhere.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/03/15 7:29pm

SoulAlive

purplethunder3121 said:

SoulAlive said:

Donna Summer 'Live And More' Japan import version released in 2012....contains remastered sound and the complete 'MacArthur Park Suite'

Amazon review by a fan
First of all, let me say that the first cd version of this classic 1978 No. 1 double album (Billboard Top 200 album chart) which was issued in 1990 was truly a disappointment for three (3) major reasons. First, the packaging - the manufacturers of the cd (Polygram Records USA) chose to alter the cover of the cd version by taking out the original album cover showing a headshot of Donna holding a microphone with head tilted and eyes closed and instead placed on the cd cover another picture of Donna which is the inner picture you will see when you open the flap of the original double album. I mean what were the manufacturers thinking when they altered the original classic album cover for the first cd version? Apparently, they didn't really care or bother to recreate the look of the original album. Second, the exclusion of the original "MacArthur Park Suite" which was replaced by "Theme from The Deep (Down, Deep Inside)" because of time constraints. In the cd insert, there's a note which says "MacArthur Park Suite" was excluded because they wanted to keep it a single cd but, as an alternative, the suite could be found elsewhere in Donna's "Dance Collection" cd. Thirdly, and most importantly, the poor sound quality. The sound level of this first cd is so weak and so low you have to put the volume of your cd player to maximum to hear the songs! And for one to fully appreciate this live cd, glorious sound is a must for maximum enjoyment.

LIVE AND MORE (2012): NEW SHM-CD VERSION MANUFACTURED BY UNIVERSAL JAPAN

I was thrilled to find out that a few months after our beloved Donna's untimely and heartbreaking passing, news came out that Universal Japan was releasing in August 2012 "Live And More" as part of an 8-album Donna Summer SHM-CD cardboard sleeve reissue series. Despite the high cost of the cd (around $50.00 in the US and $33.06 in Japan), I still made it a point to own all 8 cds. What's the verdict? Well, this new 2012 expensive cd is definitely a better alternative than the crude version released in 1990. Why? In terms of packaging, Universal Japan (thank God) meticulously recaptured the original classic double album in cardboard sleeve form - and yes, as you can see in the picture of the 2012 cd, it is a beautiful reproduction of the original double album from the front cover to the inner pictures and the back cover. It also contains the original 17:59 minute version of "MacArthur Park Suite" which was in the original classic album. And finally, the sound level of this 2012 cd is definitely better and louder than the poor sound level of the 1990 cd. The new "Live And More" cd package contains English and Japanese lyrics. The only thing missing in this new cd version are album details (musicians studio side, musicians live side, special thanks from Donna) which could be found in both record jackets of the original double vinyl album. Nevertheless, thank you to Universal Japan for finally giving a classic Donna Summer album like "Live And More" the special cd treatment it has long deserved - we have waited 34 years for this gem!

Thank you, Soul Alive! biggrin

They also did this to most of her other Casablanca albums,too.You may wanna check those out as well.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/04/15 3:14am

Ace

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Ace said:


That's a fan mash-up of Donna's recording and a Springsteen studio bootleg.

yeah it is,but they originally recorded it as a duet,but Donna later said that it didn't work out.I don't think the original duet is circulating anywhere.


There are stories (unconfirmed) that it was planned as a duet, but I've never heard Summer comment on this. Source?

"Acceptance, forgiveness, and love."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/04/15 10:33am

SoulAlive

Ace said:

SoulAlive said:

yeah it is,but they originally recorded it as a duet,but Donna later said that it didn't work out.I don't think the original duet is circulating anywhere.


There are stories (unconfirmed) that it was planned as a duet, but I've never heard Summer comment on this. Source?

Donna has mentioned it many times lol it's also mentioned in the liner notes to the Donna Summer remastered CD.....

initially,Summer and Springsteen attempted a duet.She later recalled "When Bruce brought me the song originally,we tried doing it as a duet.It was a great idea,but it really didn't work out.The tune just wasn't written that way and eventually I did it myself".

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/04/15 2:43pm

Ace

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Ace said:


There are stories (unconfirmed) that it was planned as a duet, but I've never heard Summer comment on this. Source?

Donna has mentioned it many times lol it's also mentioned in the liner notes to the Donna Summer remastered CD.....

initially,Summer and Springsteen attempted a duet.She later recalled "When Bruce brought me the song originally,we tried doing it as a duet.It was a great idea,but it really didn't work out.The tune just wasn't written that way and eventually I did it myself".


Thanks! Don't think they actually recorded it that way, though. She's mentioned him coming to her house, so when she says "we tried doing it as a duet", maybe she means there. But who knows? Yeah, the lyric doesn't lend itself to a duet.

"Acceptance, forgiveness, and love."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/04/15 6:57pm

tritoncin

avatar

leecappella said:

purplethunder3121 said:

I miss the orger who used to post her songs all the time...

Awww. That's sweet:) I post here on very, very rare occasions, if I see something I want to reply to. You can find me on Facebook, if you're interested. I post, mainly, music. My name is Jimmie, so I call the songs I feature the Jimmie Jam Of The Day. That's, probably, what I called them when I posted here. Or, maybe, it was the Summer Song Of The Day here on the org. Of course, Donna Summer is still my favorite singer of them all, so I have designated Sundays as Donna Summer Sunday on my Facebook page. There's a music video of the song of the day and a Top 20 weekly countdown I share of the songs I'm playing the most during the year, just 'cos I love countdowns when Donna Summer is in the equation:) My Facebook page link is below. Always take a little Summer with you and thanks for missing me. I appreciate that kind statement.

Feel free to 'friend' me:

https://www.facebook.com/jimmieleecappella

[Edited 3/3/15 17:35pm]

It's so ggod to read you leecapella, I remember your posts too. Love Donna.
Are you in any of Donna Facebook tribute groups?

Hugs.

wink

"America is a continent..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Revisiting Donna Summer...