independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > 1980's Pop Stars who've aged with dignity and grace ....
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 01/31/15 3:58pm

Glindathegood

Rick Springfield never had drug issues? He was arrested for a DUI a few years ago. Yes, alcohol isn't illegal but so many people are killed every year by drunk drivers. I hardly call that aging gracefully. If you are drinking and get in car and put other people's lives in danger you are not healthy in any sense.

And I don't believe in attacking people for gaining weight. Your worth as a person and an artist is not defined by a number on a scale. I don't see why it's necessary to attack Billy Joel to big up Rick Springfield.

And I don't even know what it means to age "with dignity and grace". Just seems like an excuse to attack older artists you don't like.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 01/31/15 4:16pm

lastdecember

avatar

Glindathegood said:

Rick Springfield never had drug issues? He was arrested for a DUI a few years ago. Yes, alcohol isn't illegal but so many people are killed every year by drunk drivers. I hardly call that aging gracefully. If you are drinking and get in car and put other people's lives in danger you are not healthy in any sense.

And I don't believe in attacking people for gaining weight. Your worth as a person and an artist is not defined by a number on a scale. I don't see why it's necessary to attack Billy Joel to big up Rick Springfield.

And I don't even know what it means to age "with dignity and grace". Just seems like an excuse to attack older artists you don't like.

He had 2 drinks and then drove, yes it was stupid to do, but it was 2 drinks and the level in him was equal to 2 glasses of wine. ANd yes never had drug issues, smoked pot in 1969 that was the end of it. Every musician now pretty much smokes pot so are they all drug "addicts"? Nicotine is also a drug, we can debate drugs all day then pretty much everyone is a freaking Junky. As for making your DRUNK DRIVING statement, and your next breath you mention Billy Joel whom I love, but he has smashed his car up and been drunk behind the wheel way more and falling down drunk not 2 glasses, as George Michael was countless times, so your shot at Rick for 2 drinks and it was two but again it put him over the LA limit, paid his fine and did his service never happend again where as with George it seemed to happen monthly.

And my attack on JOEL is a comment on what he looks like now, a fat accountant that is not taking away from his talent nor did I, Elton John is fat too and has been for years but his talent is beyond anyone, and plenty of times here have people commented on his weight when he makes statements about Madonna or George Michael to prove their point.

I dont have to "BIG UP" rick on a "prince" forum, OK one is a musician being creative still while one seems to be resting on his laurels and coasting now.

And I like Billy Joel one of my favorite of all time, from an era where the best artists came from, do some searching on things i have said about him and elton and others before you make your case for DRUNK DRIVING when i can rattle off every artist people praise that has done far worse shit.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 01/31/15 6:56pm

FormerlyKnownA
s

avatar

Kylie Minogue



Martha Wash



Lisa Stansfield



Vanessa Williams



Pointer Sisters (Ruth & Anita on left in picture below)




Siouxsie



Terri Nunn (Berlin)



Jimmy Sommerville (Bronski Beat/Communards)




Matt & Luke Goss (Bros.)



Sheila E. (of course!)




(Most of) Duran Duran



Rick Astley



Nona Hendryx



Ann & Nancy Wilson (Heart)





Cynthia Johnson (formerly of Lipps Inc.)




Joan Jett



Deniece Williams




Bonnie Tyler



Debbie Harry (Blondie)




Gloria Estefan



Pat Benetar



Sting (The Police)



Bruce Springstein



Alison Moyet (Yaz)



Neil Diamond



Olivia Newton-John



Kim Appleby (Mel & Kim)



Holly Knight



Stephanie Mills



Tracey Ullman



Irene Cara




New Kids on the Block





** As a side note, we should make a post of ones who have NOT aged with dignity & grace...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 01/31/15 7:29pm

phillymonster

Oh please stop it with the Madonna bashing threads. The term "aging gracefully" itself is an old concept. It is expecially sexist because women over 40 are required to cover up and bake cookies. Madonna is challenging the norms, once again. That said, she is somewhat misguided at times.

[Edited 1/31/15 19:35pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 01/31/15 9:24pm

namepeace

JoeTyler said:

duggalolly said:

oh, and Sade!

I don't rate her as a "Pop" star, but ok


small-p "popular music" star . . .

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 01/31/15 10:17pm

norbertslimeba
ll

david essex always strikes me as having dignity and grace, he's sort of balding and grey like most

of us mere mortals , ive got a lot of respect for him .

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 02/01/15 6:17am

steakfinger

JoeTyler said:

duggalolly said:

oh, and Sade!

I don't rate her as a "Pop" star, but ok

She is and always was, though. What would YOU rate her as, jazz? That would be a pretty huge stretch.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 02/01/15 12:25pm

FormerlyKnownA
s

avatar

Kim Wilde



Terence Trent D'Arby/Sananda Maitreya



Sara Dallin & Karen Woodard (Bananarama)



David Byrne (Talking Heads)



Debbie Gibson



Belinda Carlisle (Go-Go's)



Philip Oakey & Joanna Catherall & Susan Ann Sulley (The Human League)



Marie Fredriksson (Roxette)




Kate Pierson & Cindy Wilson (B-52's)



Colin Hay (Men At Work)



Corey Hart




Sherine Abeyratne (Big Pig)

Grace Jones



Valerie Day (Nu Shooz)



Corrine Drewery (Swing Out Sister)



Marcella Detroit (Shakespear's Sister)

Marcella Detroit - fotogaléria

Wolfgramm Family: Elizabeth, Moana, Haini, etc. (The Jets)




  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 02/01/15 1:57pm

lowkey

im confused, what does dignity and grace have to do with physical appearence? i thought op meant those who accepts they are older and past their 'pop star' prime, and are not out here struggling to fit in.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 02/01/15 8:03pm

chrisslope9

avatar

FormerlyKnownAs said:

Kylie Minogue



Martha Wash



Lisa Stansfield



Vanessa Williams



Pointer Sisters (Ruth & Anita on left in picture below)




Siouxsie



Terri Nunn (Berlin)



Jimmy Sommerville (Bronski Beat/Communards)




Matt & Luke Goss (Bros.)



Sheila E. (of course!)




(Most of) Duran Duran



Rick Astley



Nona Hendryx



Ann & Nancy Wilson (Heart)





Cynthia Johnson (formerly of Lipps Inc.)




Joan Jett



Deniece Williams




Bonnie Tyler



Debbie Harry (Blondie)




Gloria Estefan



Pat Benetar



Sting (The Police)



Bruce Springstein



Alison Moyet (Yaz)



Neil Diamond



Olivia Newton-John



Kim Appleby (Mel & Kim)



Holly Knight



Stephanie Mills



Tracey Ullman



Irene Cara




New Kids on the Block





** As a side note, we should make a post of ones who have NOT aged with dignity & grace...

GREAT LIST nod nod nod

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 02/01/15 8:07pm

chrisslope9

avatar

phillymonster said:

Oh please stop it with the Madonna bashing threads. The term "aging gracefully" itself is an old concept. It is expecially sexist because women over 40 are required to cover up and bake cookies. Madonna is challenging the norms, once again. That said, she is somewhat misguided at times.

[Edited 1/31/15 19:35pm]

If by challenging the norms you mean taking bits of your ass and having it injected into your cheeks then , agreed. In any case, this is not, nor was it meant to be , a Madonna bashing thread. Go back and read the posts. Many great male and female artists have been mentioned. Don't think any of the female artists mentioned 'cover up and bake cookies.'

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 02/02/15 8:08am

Wowugotit

Annie Lennox looks terribly old. her latest album cover demonstrates that.

Olivia Newton-John looks good but she's had too many fillers. her cheeks are too puffy.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > 1980's Pop Stars who've aged with dignity and grace ....