independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 9th Dec 2019 6:18pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > L.A. Reid To Run Epic Records
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/16/11 11:09am

Identity

L.A. Reid To Run Epic Records

[img:$uid]http://i.imgur.com/rKFjS.jpg[/img:$uid]

Reid at the Miami auditions of the new US X-Factor TV show. (Getty Images)

June 16, 2011

Link

L.A. Reid – former chairman of the Island Def Jam record label and judge on Fox’s upcoming singing-competition series The X-Factor — has landed a new gig as the head of Sony Music’s Epic Label Group, which is set to be restructured to include Jive Records, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Sony has yet to respond to requests for confirmation.

When he begins in the post after the 4th of July holiday, it will reunite the famed 55-year-old executive with two major artists — Usher and Pink — who he helped discover.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/16/11 12:08pm

SoulAlive

hmmm so now he will get the chance to destroy this label too? They keep moving him from one label to the next,with the same dismal results everytime.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/16/11 12:23pm

Musicslave

I was wondering when they were going to annouce his new position over there.

BTW, who the hell is running Def Jam now? Never heard anything about his replacement....

He better not fux with P!nk! She's doing just fine without his meddling hands.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/16/11 1:27pm

HotGritz

avatar

I read the title as "LA Reid to RUIN Epic Records". lol

I'M NOT SAYING YOU'RE UGLY. YOU JUST HAVE BAD LUCK WHEN IT COMES TO MIRRORS AND SUNLIGHT!
RIP Dick Clark, Whitney Houston, Don Cornelius, Heavy D, and Donna Summer. rose
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/16/11 1:53pm

getxxxx

avatar

Musicslave said:

I was wondering when they were going to annouce his new position over there.

BTW, who the hell is running Def Jam now? Never heard anything about his replacement....

He better not fux with P!nk! She's doing just fine without his meddling hands.

ahhh hello he and babyface signed P!NK in the LaFace days...

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/16/11 1:54pm

getxxxx

avatar

SoulAlive said:

hmmm so now he will get the chance to destroy this label too? They keep moving him from one label to the next,with the same dismal results everytime.

what label has he destroyed? he had a successful runs at LaFace, Arista and IDJ? maybe you are confusing him with Andre Harrell tenure at Motown

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/16/11 5:08pm

alphastreet

I guess trying to sabotage one Jackson didn't satisfy him.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/16/11 8:47pm

HohnerCatcher

HotGritz said:

I read the title as "LA Reid to RUIN Epic Records". lol

lol

alphastreet said:

I guess trying to sabotage one Jackson didn't satisfy him.

spit

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/16/11 9:19pm

TonyVanDam

[img:$uid]http://i.imgur.com/rKFjS.jpg[/img:$uid]

Does any care to discuss THIS^ Masonic symbol that L.A. Reid is showing to prove his loyality to the elites? neutral

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/16/11 9:23pm

HohnerCatcher

TonyVanDam said:

[img:$uid]http://i.imgur.com/rKFjS.jpg[/img:$uid]

Does any care to discuss THIS^ Masonic symbol that L.A. Reid is showing to prove his loyality to the elites? neutral

He is just throwing up the X for UK's X Factor television singing contest.

Unless I am missing the symbolism here as well. hmm

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/17/11 6:08am

Musicslave

getxxxx said:

Musicslave said:

I was wondering when they were going to annouce his new position over there.

BTW, who the hell is running Def Jam now? Never heard anything about his replacement....

He better not fux with P!nk! She's doing just fine without his meddling hands.

ahhh hello he and babyface signed P!NK in the LaFace days...

Hello. Although he signed her, P!nk herself complained about the initial direction she was being taken in by him. Pink has grown into her own quite well since he left LaFace. She's not missing him was my point.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/17/11 7:09am

daPrettyman

avatar

I wonder if Mariah is going to follow him?

**--••--**--••**--••--**--••**--••--**--••**--••-
U 'gon make me shake my doo loose!
http://www.twitter.com/nivlekbrad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/17/11 9:10am

Harlepolis

HotGritz said:

I read the title as "LA Reid to RUIN Epic Records". lol

Good nod Throw in the whole kitchen sink and let baldie run Sony while you're at it too.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/17/11 9:23am

Identity

TonyVanDam said:

[img:$uid]http://i.imgur.com/rKFjS.jpg[/img:$uid]

Does any care to discuss THIS^ Masonic symbol that L.A. Reid is showing to prove his loyality to the elites? neutral

Somehow I just knew you would go there. wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/17/11 9:37am

Timmy84

daPrettyman said:

I wonder if Mariah is going to follow him?

I doubt it.

And why he looking like he's a pimp in front of those impressionable-looking America's Next Top Model auditioning girls? lol

That picture is so wrong. razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/17/11 10:02am

TD3

avatar

More like run it down into the ground...

Wait, I'm not sure if that's not a good thing. evillol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/17/11 10:05am

Timmy84

TD3 said:

More like run it down into the ground...

Wait, I'm not sure if that's not a good thing. evillol

It's a damn good thing actually. evillol razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/17/11 10:06am

Timmy84

HohnerCatcher said:

TonyVanDam said:

[img:$uid]http://i.imgur.com/rKFjS.jpg[/img:$uid]

Does any care to discuss THIS^ Masonic symbol that L.A. Reid is showing to prove his loyality to the elites? neutral

He is just throwing up the X for UK's X Factor television singing contest.

Unless I am missing the symbolism here as well. hmm

I imagine they talk about how tin foil-ish the symbol of this looks. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/17/11 10:53am

Identity

HotGritz said:

I read the title as "LA Reid to RUIN Epic Records". lol

[img:$uid]http://imgur.com/w3OuF.gif[/img:$uid]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/17/11 11:01am

MickyDolenz

avatar

I didn't realize Epic still existed. Unless it's just a catalog label like Motown or Fantasy.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/17/11 11:02am

Timmy84

MickyDolenz said:

I didn't realize Epic still existed. Unless it's just a catalog label like Motown or Fantasy.

It is lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/17/11 11:09am

MickyDolenz

avatar

Timmy84 said:

MickyDolenz said:

I didn't realize Epic still existed. Unless it's just a catalog label like Motown or Fantasy.

It is lol

Doesn't Sony own Solar now? If so, then they have The Deele's stuff. razz

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/17/11 11:10am

Timmy84

MickyDolenz said:

Timmy84 said:

It is lol

Doesn't Sony own Solar now? If so, then they have The Deele's stuff. razz

Yep.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/17/11 11:17am

Identity

No, guys. Solar's back catalog is owned by Unidisc, a Canadian-based company.

http://www.unidisc.com/

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/17/11 11:19am

Timmy84

Identity said:

No, guys. Solar's back catalog is owned by Unidisc, a Canadian-based company.

http://www.unidisc.com/

Oh for real? No wonder. confused Thanks for correcting. Don't know why I assumed that it was Sony-owned lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/17/11 11:27am

MickyDolenz

avatar

Identity said:

No, guys. Solar's back catalog is owned by Unidisc, a Canadian-based company.

http://www.unidisc.com/

I thought they did. I have some compilations and they have some Solar acts on them in addition to other CBS/Sony songs.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/17/11 11:28am

Timmy84

MickyDolenz said:

Identity said:

No, guys. Solar's back catalog is owned by Unidisc, a Canadian-based company.

http://www.unidisc.com/

I thought they did. I have some compilations and they have some Solar acts on them in addition to other CBS/Sony songs.

Right? That's a little weird...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/17/11 1:25pm

Identity

MickyDolenz said:

I thought they did. I have some compilations and they have some Solar acts on them in addition to other CBS/Sony songs.

Unidisc bought the Solar catalog in 2009. What year were those compilations released?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/17/11 1:41pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

Identity said:

MickyDolenz said:

I thought they did. I have some compilations and they have some Solar acts on them in addition to other CBS/Sony songs.

Unidisc bought the Solar catalog in 2009. What year were those compilations released?

2009 is fairly recent. The comps were originally released in the 1990's. I have a Best Of Midnight Star album from 1992 and it does say Sony Music on it, but I also have the 2006 re-release of the No Parking On The Dance Floor CD and it says Capitol Records. So I guess Solar has been passed around.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/17/11 3:05pm

lastdecember

avatar

Identity said:

[img:$uid]http://i.imgur.com/rKFjS.jpg[/img:$uid]

Reid at the Miami auditions of the new US X-Factor TV show. (Getty Images)

June 16, 2011

Link

L.A. Reid – former chairman of the Island Def Jam record label and judge on Fox’s upcoming singing-competition series The X-Factor — has landed a new gig as the head of Sony Music’s Epic Label Group, which is set to be restructured to include Jive Records, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Sony has yet to respond to requests for confirmation.

When he begins in the post after the 4th of July holiday, it will reunite the famed 55-year-old executive with two major artists — Usher and Pink — who he helped discover.

But what is the point of even jumping on with a label now? I mean they are all in the toilet, within a declining industry. Though peeps are still making money at the highest positions, artists for the most part unless they have other things arent making any kind of money on labels. The thing is that his thinking is good, but what he is trying to do, aint going to happen in this market place anymore unless the bottom totally falls out for everyone. Now what everyone needs to do is clean house press restart and go back to the old business models that were used, the digital thing killed music, as much as the cd destroyed artistry.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > L.A. Reid To Run Epic Records