independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 24th Jan 2020 10:18am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Tears For Fears, Simon & Garfunkel & Brothers Johnson
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/01/11 12:42pm

Gunsnhalen

Tears For Fears, Simon & Garfunkel & Brothers Johnson

0k...

It's the New Year and there's a few band's i want to talk about.

So i am making a thread about some of my favorite duos, i have been listening to these guy's a lot lately and i like them for all different reasons

The Brothers Johnson- I love the funky bass playing and melodies these guy's create just beautiful, i love the singing. And just the musicianship these guy's are highly underrated to me.

Blam & Look out For # 1 are my faves

Simon & Garfunkel- Love there amazing lyrics and composing. The piano and acoustic guitar mixed these guy's are just amazing- Bridge Over Troubled Water & Sage, Rosemary & Thyme are my feaves

Tears for Fears- For these political and social lyrics mixed in with the new wave and old school sound's they still sound fresh today.

The hurting is my fav by them

Alright fan's? let's discuss cool

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/01/11 2:56pm

JamFanHot

avatar

+1 on the Bros. J....but I'd hafta include "Light Up The Night" (1980) and (almost) "Winners" (1981) in the cannon of essentials.

Funk Is It's Own Reward
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/01/11 3:15pm

lastdecember

avatar

Tears for Fears are one of the best from the best era of bands the 80's to me that was the LAST great decade for indiduality, i wont begin to list the different groups and styles that they all had. but tears did some amazing and still do to this day.

Brothers Johnson i agree totally underrated musically

Simon and Garfunkel to me also are a bit underrated, one of the best songwriter teams, did some amazing work in a very very short period of time, i mean by todays standard of artists and releases you would have had one album from them and thats it. Lots of faves with them, just the imagery they could create, especially Paul with his lyrics, the 60's and 70's to me had the best writers. But how can u just turn away from "sounds of silence" "the boxer" "bridge over" and countless others


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/01/11 3:47pm

Gunsnhalen

lastdecember said:

Tears for Fears are one of the best from the best era of bands the 80's to me that was the LAST great decade for indiduality, i wont begin to list the different groups and styles that they all had. but tears did some amazing and still do to this day.

Brothers Johnson i agree totally underrated musically

Simon and Garfunkel to me also are a bit underrated, one of the best songwriter teams, did some amazing work in a very very short period of time, i mean by todays standard of artists and releases you would have had one album from them and thats it. Lots of faves with them, just the imagery they could create, especially Paul with his lyrics, the 60's and 70's to me had the best writers. But how can u just turn away from "sounds of silence" "the boxer" "bridge over" and countless others

TFF I Have loved since a young age. When i was young i danced to there song's but even at a young age knew that there song's where more ambitious. The Hurting is a dark, moody masterpiece. The icy cold synths and acoustic guitars i love it The hurting, Mad World, Watch me bleed, change, pale shelter beautiful and haunting

SFTBC- Was one of those great albums that where huge like Purple Rain, Thriller, Born In The U.S.A. That half the singles where hits but there are tons of hidden gems like listen & the working hour

Seeds Of Love took awhile to make, and caused a lot of issues between Roland & Curt, to be fair fame got to Curt's head and nowadays he even admits that. But the album is a great artistic statement, I also love Elemental & Closest Thing To heaven

Brothers just amazing cool

S&G Yes.. even if you do not know such great deep cuts like Why don't you write me, only living boy in New York, or Blessed. How can one not love the beauty of Bridge Over Troubled Water, Sound Of Silence, The Boxer etc.

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/01/11 3:48pm

Gunsnhalen

JamFanHot said:

+1 on the Bros. J....but I'd hafta include "Light Up The Night" (1980) and (almost) "Winners" (1981) in the cannon of essentials.

Stomp, Light Up The Night, Treasure, All About The Heaven & Smilin are all great dig's biggrin

Winners i have not heard confused need to give it a listen

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/01/11 3:50pm

lastdecember

avatar

Gunsnhalen said:

lastdecember said:

Tears for Fears are one of the best from the best era of bands the 80's to me that was the LAST great decade for indiduality, i wont begin to list the different groups and styles that they all had. but tears did some amazing and still do to this day.

Brothers Johnson i agree totally underrated musically

Simon and Garfunkel to me also are a bit underrated, one of the best songwriter teams, did some amazing work in a very very short period of time, i mean by todays standard of artists and releases you would have had one album from them and thats it. Lots of faves with them, just the imagery they could create, especially Paul with his lyrics, the 60's and 70's to me had the best writers. But how can u just turn away from "sounds of silence" "the boxer" "bridge over" and countless others

TFF I Have loved since a young age. When i was young i danced to there song's but even at a young age knew that there song's where more ambitious. The Hurting is a dark, moody masterpiece. The icy cold synths and acoustic guitars i love it The hurting, Mad World, Watch me bleed, change, pale shelter beautiful and haunting

SFTBC- Was one of those great albums that where huge like Purple Rain, Thriller, Born In The U.S.A. That half the singles where hits but there are tons of hidden gems like listen & the working hour

Seeds Of Love took awhile to make, and caused a lot of issues between Roland & Curt, to be fair fame got to Curt's head and nowadays he even admits that. But the album is a great artistic statement, I also love Elemental & Closest Thing To heaven

Brothers just amazing cool

S&G Yes.. even if you do not know such great deep cuts like Why don't you write me, only living boy in New York, or Blessed. How can one not love the beauty of Bridge Over Troubled Water, Sound Of Silence, The Boxer etc.

Yeah i mean just think of those BIG ALBUMS that u just mentioned. I mean i know we have a thread here on the org going about how artists should just do singles, but just think how sad that would be. Purple Rain, Faith,Born in the USA, Thriller, SFTBC, and countless others, i mean shit my fave band of all time a-ha with Hunting High and Low and Scoundrel Days from 1985-1986 those are freaking gems with deep album cuts with a few "hits", save the damn album should be the stance!


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/01/11 3:51pm

lastdecember

avatar

Gunsnhalen said:

JamFanHot said:

+1 on the Bros. J....but I'd hafta include "Light Up The Night" (1980) and (almost) "Winners" (1981) in the cannon of essentials.

Stomp, Light Up The Night, Treasure, All About The Heaven & Smilin are all great dig's biggrin

Winners i have not heard confused need to give it a listen

yeah i need to get deeper into Brothers Johnson


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/01/11 5:18pm

chocolate1

avatar

- Every time there is a TFF thread I weigh in... lol

I LOVE LOVE LOVE them- and have since high school.

I have Curt's and Roland's solo projects, and I even found their album from before they were TFF: "Acting my Age" by Graduate.

I saw them twice in August, and I was on Cloud 9! cloud9

- I was on a Simon and Garfunkel kick for about a month in October... I got stuck on "For Emily..." and "My Little Town". music

- I don't have too much to say about the Brothers Johnson... boxed


"Love Hurts.
Your lies, they cut me.
Now your words don't mean a thing.
I don't give a damn if you ever loved me..."

-Cher, "Woman's World"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/01/11 7:08pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

chocolate1 said:

- Every time there is a TFF thread I weigh in... lol

I LOVE LOVE LOVE them- and have since high school.

I have Curt's and Roland's solo projects, and I even found their album from before they were TFF: "Acting my Age" by Graduate.

I saw them twice in August, and I was on Cloud 9! cloud9

- I was on a Simon and Garfunkel kick for about a month in October... I got stuck on "For Emily..." and "My Little Town". music

- I don't have too much to say about the Brothers Johnson... boxed

Is it because you don't care for their music or don't know enough about them yet?

If the latter is the case you can start by picking up their first 4 Quincy Jones produced

albums. wink

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/01/11 7:18pm

chocolate1

avatar

phunkdaddy said:

chocolate1 said:

- Every time there is a TFF thread I weigh in... lol

I LOVE LOVE LOVE them- and have since high school.

I have Curt's and Roland's solo projects, and I even found their album from before they were TFF: "Acting my Age" by Graduate.

I saw them twice in August, and I was on Cloud 9! cloud9

- I was on a Simon and Garfunkel kick for about a month in October... I got stuck on "For Emily..." and "My Little Town". music

- I don't have too much to say about the Brothers Johnson... boxed

Is it because you don't care for their music or don't know enough about them yet?

If the latter is the case you can start by picking up their first 4 Quincy Jones produced

albums. wink

I don't know their music... but thanks, I'll check them out! smile


"Love Hurts.
Your lies, they cut me.
Now your words don't mean a thing.
I don't give a damn if you ever loved me..."

-Cher, "Woman's World"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/02/11 10:36am

Gunsnhalen

chocolate1 said:

phunkdaddy said:

Is it because you don't care for their music or don't know enough about them yet?

If the latter is the case you can start by picking up their first 4 Quincy Jones produced

albums. wink

I don't know their music... but thanks, I'll check them out! smile

They are definitely worth checking out biggrin, you will love them.

You lucky to have seen TFF, I Had the chance but had school confused

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/02/11 3:09pm

Gunsnhalen

Ow & anyone listened to the solo albums by Art or Paul Simon

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Tears For Fears, Simon & Garfunkel & Brothers Johnson