independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > girl (1985 america b-side)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 01/12/23 6:54pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

Have you ever had a Prince song that you didn't like, and then, one day, couldn't get enough of it? Girl was that track for me. At the time of release I thought it spoilt the run of amazing B-sides. I thought it was a weak ramble.

Then, I had a drunken headphone night, and heard all the layers in it...

.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 01/12/23 6:58pm

RJOrion

SquirrelMeat said:

Have you ever had a Prince song that you didn't like, and then, one day, couldn't get enough of it? Girl was that track for me. At the time of release I thought it spoilt the run of amazing B-sides. I thought it was a weak ramble.

Then, I had a drunken headphone night, and heard all the layers in it...



I used to hate Annie Christian...now i love it...in fact, for years i thought the entire Controversy album was trash except for Private Joy and Sexuality...now i love that album
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 01/12/23 11:03pm

strongoxman1

paisleyparkgirl said:



RJOrion said:


LoveGalore said:
Wow.

The song that was the B-side of "America"?...*yawn*...it sounds empty and unfinished...prince begging and yodeling and playing silly synth-lines that sound almost off-key... "All i have to do us think about you and i have an orgasm...*corny*..." "Im a good kisser, too...*eye-roll*.." I dont get the hype about this song, apparently neither did Prince.


I don't like the song either.


The lyrics are "interesting" and young . I'm going to assume that he wrote them when he was under 21, even though the song was released in 85.

[Edited 1/12/23 11:59am]



Nah, Prince originally wrote this for Vanity 6 as Boy.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 01/13/23 8:38am

sexton

avatar

This is my favorite Prince B-side. I like it more than “Erotic City”, “She’s Always in My Hair”, “Shockadelica”, etc. It’s so beautifully weird.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 01/13/23 9:03am

nayroo2002

avatar

All of the b-sides from the 80's should be on one compilation.

Not like "The Hits" variation, but with each song in it's full length form.

For example, "Irresistable Bitch" MUST have a longer version if it faded out.

Just like "17 Days"

"Girl" is already long enough, though lol

"Whatever skin we're in
we all need 2 b friends"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 01/13/23 9:26am

LoveGalore

nayroo2002 said:

All of the b-sides from the 80's should be on one compilation.


Not like "The Hits" variation, but with each song in it's full length form.


For example, "Irresistable Bitch" MUST have a longer version if it faded out.


Just like "17 Days"


"Girl" is already long enough, though lol



Well we have the extended 17 Days and it's wonderful.

But yes, the other fade outs need the full versions released. And any edits with longer pieces in the rest of the unfaded songs.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 01/13/23 9:42am

nayroo2002

avatar

...like the missing, badass guitar solo on "Escape"!!!

"Whatever skin we're in
we all need 2 b friends"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 01/13/23 1:04pm

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

LoveGalore said:

nayroo2002 said:

All of the b-sides from the 80's should be on one compilation.

Not like "The Hits" variation, but with each song in it's full length form.

For example, "Irresistable Bitch" MUST have a longer version if it faded out.

Just like "17 Days"

"Girl" is already long enough, though lol

Well we have the extended 17 Days and it's wonderful. But yes, the other fade outs need the full versions released. And any edits with longer pieces in the rest of the unfaded songs.


I can't imagine what some of those longer versions might sounds like.

For example, "hello" was always one of my favorite b-sides but that was when I'd only ever
heard the edit on "the hits/the b-sides".

When I finally heard the full version, years later, through napster, I fell out of my chair. not
once or twice but half a dozen times over.

I'm gonna listen to it right now lol


"if U're lookin' 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard / plant some peace flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 01/13/23 1:19pm

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

yup, fell right onto the floor again dancing jig falloff


"if U're lookin' 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard / plant some peace flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 01/18/23 9:49am

Germanegro

avatar

nayroo2002 said:

After the lyric "your ass is so tight", he starts eating it.



falloff booty! lips
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 01/18/23 9:55am

Germanegro

avatar

dodger07 said:

RJOrion said:



The song that was the B-side of "America"?...*yawn*...it sounds empty and unfinished...prince begging and yodeling and playing silly synth-lines that sound almost off-key...

"All i have to do us think about you and i have an orgasm...*corny*..."

"Im a good kisser, too...*eye-roll*.."

I dont get the hype about this song, apparently neither did Prince.


biggrin
Have to agree on the good kisser line.
.
It probably belonged in the recent cringe thread. I don’t really mind the edit but struggle with the extended/full version.

>
Corny but camp!

yes bananadance
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > girl (1985 america b-side)