independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Joy in Repetition with no segue in.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 11/11/21 6:33am

Hamad

avatar

paisleypark4 said:



TrivialPursuit said:




TwiliteKid said:


Meh. I've never understood the appeal of the drumbeat intro. I think the alley talk sets the scene much more effectively.




But what other instrumentation are we missing with all that alley talk? I'd like to hear it without the sound FX.



Its just four kick drum echos really from the song...before the song starts. It lasts 32 seconds exactly.



I agree, the Lovesexy alley / bar segue fits because that is what he is talking about in the song.
People like to frequent that club down on 36th.

[Edited 11/10/21 14:31pm]



Agreed, it’s part of the dream sequence as a whole suite (not just this song), It embellished the storytelling aspect of the song, you take away the crowd, there’s no dream sequence. My only gripe with the song is the audio quality, I wanna hear it remastered in the same vein as SOTT’s SDE.
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLH82
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 11/11/21 5:28pm

ufoclub

avatar

Hamad said:

paisleypark4 said:

Its just four kick drum echos really from the song...before the song starts. It lasts 32 seconds exactly.

I agree, the Lovesexy alley / bar segue fits because that is what he is talking about in the song.
People like to frequent that club down on 36th.

[Edited 11/10/21 14:31pm]

Agreed, it’s part of the dream sequence as a whole suite (not just this song), It embellished the storytelling aspect of the song, you take away the crowd, there’s no dream sequence. My only gripe with the song is the audio quality, I wanna hear it remastered in the same vein as SOTT’s SDE.

Yeah, NO, disagree with all of you. The song is so much stronger without literal sound effects. The surreal mood is so much deeper with just the lone drum intro and it's trippy rhythm that is created by the repeats and delays. SO MUCH BETTER.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 11/12/21 4:36am

JorisE73

ufoclub said:

Hamad said:

paisleypark4 said: Agreed, it’s part of the dream sequence as a whole suite (not just this song), It embellished the storytelling aspect of the song, you take away the crowd, there’s no dream sequence. My only gripe with the song is the audio quality, I wanna hear it remastered in the same vein as SOTT’s SDE.

Yeah, NO, disagree with all of you. The song is so much stronger without literal sound effects. The surreal mood is so much deeper with just the lone drum intro and it's trippy rhythm that is created by the repeats and delays. SO MUCH BETTER.


Agreed! To me that lone drum intro sounds really sinister. I like that.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 11/12/21 6:59am

glamlife2

JorisE73 said:

ufoclub said:

Yeah, NO, disagree with all of you. The song is so much stronger without literal sound effects. The surreal mood is so much deeper with just the lone drum intro and it's trippy rhythm that is created by the repeats and delays. SO MUCH BETTER.


Agreed! To me that lone drum intro sounds really sinister. I like that.

That's how I feel about it as well. Nice & moody! Have always loved this version since the Chocolate Box vinyl boot in 1988.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 11/13/21 4:18pm

fernandomachad
o

be it

The Ball / Joy In Repetition

or

We Can Funk / Joy In Repetition

on every incarnation of this song, it seems Prince had intented it to be a follow up to a party scene with all the screams and background noise.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 11/14/21 2:10am

dualboot

avatar

fernandomachado said:

be it



The Ball / Joy In Repetition


or


We Can Funk / Joy In Repetition



on every incarnation of this song, it seems Prince had intented it to be a follow up to a party scene with all the screams and background noise.



That is why I suspect he botched up the original recording. Hope To be wrong though.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 11/14/21 5:17am

muleFunk

avatar

love2thenines2003 said:

JorisE73 said:



Even tho it doesn't belong on there I still naively hope for this one to appear on a Parade SDE (just like the other material they didn't put on SOTT SDE.)

....among big collectors ...i heard that alternate takes(different guitar parts) of Joy in Repetition do exist... circulating not in public domains but in the highest circles of collectors !

I guess I'm in the highest circles because I've had it for 20 years.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 11/14/21 5:28am

love2thenines2
003

muleFunk said:

love2thenines2003 said:

....among big collectors ...i heard that alternate takes(different guitar parts) of Joy in Repetition do exist... circulating not in public domains but in the highest circles of collectors !

I guess I'm in the highest circles because I've had it for 20 years.

It depends on which version u got ??? can u describe it or is it a secret ??? thanx

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 11/14/21 5:31am

muleFunk

avatar

ufoclub said:

JorisE73 said:


The Hot Thing remixes belong on there becuase they were released on 12". But that Strange Relationship remix by that corny every-remix-sounds-teh-same hack Pettibone could have been left off and replaced by this.

I'm talking about back in 1987, not now. I mean on vinyl.

I love the Hot Thing remixes.

The song Hot Thing is light years better than Joy.

That's the reason why it appeared on the SOTT album.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 11/15/21 12:45am

JorisE73

muleFunk said:

love2thenines2003 said:

....among big collectors ...i heard that alternate takes(different guitar parts) of Joy in Repetition do exist... circulating not in public domains but in the highest circles of collectors !

I guess I'm in the highest circles because I've had it for 20 years.


The three versions with the different guitar takes?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 11/15/21 9:59am

steakfinger

muleFunk said:

love2thenines2003 said:

....among big collectors ...i heard that alternate takes(different guitar parts) of Joy in Repetition do exist... circulating not in public domains but in the highest circles of collectors !

I guess I'm in the highest circles because I've had it for 20 years.

If you're in a mood to share I'd be all about it. This has been my favorite since I first heard it in 1990.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 11/15/21 10:54pm

ufoclub

avatar

fernandomachado said:

be it

The Ball / Joy In Repetition

or

We Can Funk / Joy In Repetition

on every incarnation of this song, it seems Prince had intented it to be a follow up to a party scene with all the screams and background noise.

Not on the incarnation, that is the lone intro, you mean when he tries to fit it into an album. The song was too good for an album. Should have been a standalone song. Like "Hey Jude". That wasn't on any actual album sequence.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 11/16/21 1:29am

JorisE73

steakfinger said:

muleFunk said:

I guess I'm in the highest circles because I've had it for 20 years.

If you're in a mood to share I'd be all about it. This has been my favorite since I first heard it in 1990.


I think he's just talking about the original lone intro take that is on a lot of bootlges, not the 3 work in progress versions with differen guitar solo's, none of those have been leaked or on any bootleg.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 11/16/21 2:08am

themanfromnept
une

+1

I loved the JIR bootleg for the dark intro and I simply hated the version he released in GB.

A single release with "original" intro, oh, please, yes.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 11/16/21 3:44am

love2thenines2
003

JorisE73 said:



steakfinger said:




muleFunk said:




I guess I'm in the highest circles because I've had it for 20 years.



If you're in a mood to share I'd be all about it. This has been my favorite since I first heard it in 1990.




I think he's just talking about the original lone intro take that is on a lot of bootlges, not the 3 work in progress versions with differen guitar solo's, none of those have been leaked or on any bootleg.




But these alternate versions do exist and are in circulation..not for us unfortunately!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 11/16/21 7:45am

JorisE73

love2thenines2003 said:

JorisE73 said:


I think he's just talking about the original lone intro take that is on a lot of bootlges, not the 3 work in progress versions with differen guitar solo's, none of those have been leaked or on any bootleg.

But these alternate versions do exist and are in circulation..not for us unfortunately!


Nobody said they didn't exist and they are probably in the hands of less than a handful of people so they are not really "circulating".
If the Estate won't release these I don't think we regular Prince fans will ever hear these.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 11/16/21 12:42pm

love2thenines2
003

JorisE73 said:



love2thenines2003 said:


JorisE73 said:



I think he's just talking about the original lone intro take that is on a lot of bootlges, not the 3 work in progress versions with differen guitar solo's, none of those have been leaked or on any bootleg.



But these alternate versions do exist and are in circulation..not for us unfortunately!


Nobody said they didn't exist and they are probably in the hands of less than a handful of people so they are not really "circulating".
If the Estate won't release these I don't think we regular Prince fans will ever hear these.




My feeling too !
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 11/21/21 7:54am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

I've been playing this constantly the last few days and it's another one of those tracks where I'm absolutely in awe that he recorded this all by himself eek

If U're lookin 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard - Plant some Peace Flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Joy in Repetition with no segue in.