independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Inspiration for the song Musicology?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/04/21 7:33pm

tbag

avatar

Inspiration for the song Musicology?

Just going through some old Jesse Johnson grooves and listened to his song "Jump For It" from the White Men Can't Jump soundtrack for the first time in decades. It's a nice early 90s groove that immediately made me think of the song "Musicology." They are 2 completely different songs (no plagiarism here) but that guitar work running throughout "Jump For It" reminds me of "Musicology" quite a bit. I wonder if Prince was influenced after hearing this. Whatch'all think?

~And even when I'm right, I'll be wrong...it's Automatic too.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/04/21 9:14pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

It's not an uncommon riff. Prince played it on bass, Jesse's is on guitar. But it's not unusual.

And I doubt he even knew about that song, much less though, "oh hey, that 12 year old song funky, let me write a new song in 2004."

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/04/21 10:06pm

alphastreet

My friend knows jesse, I’m going to ask her if he thinks prince has heard it/sampled it and let you know
[Edited 10/4/21 22:06pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/04/21 10:18pm

RODSERLING

At the first listening I thought it sounded a lot like the Vicky Vale part of Batdance.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/05/21 6:03am

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

Inspiration has to come from somewhere so why not
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/05/21 6:47am

LoveGalore

TrivialPursuit said:

It's not an uncommon riff. Prince played it on bass, Jesse's is on guitar. But it's not unusual.

And I doubt he even knew about that song, much less though, "oh hey, that 12 year old song funky, let me write a new song in 2004."



You could tell Prince did just that sometimes though. Isn't Colonized Mind basically a very close facsimile of a song from the 70s? I forget what song but it's been posted here. And of course Erotic City is inspired by White Horse. Purple Rain's inspiration has been talked about.

Prince was full of references, he just was good at making it sound like he dreamt his songs up himself.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/05/21 11:43am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

LoveGalore said:


You could tell Prince did just that sometimes though. Isn't "Colonized Mind" basically a very close facsimile of a song from the 70s? I forget what song but it's been posted here. And of course "Erotic City" is inspired by "White Horse." "Purple Rain"'s inspiration has been talked about. Prince was full of references, he just was good at making it sound like he dreamt his songs up himself.


No doubt. Let's call a thing a thing: he stole a lot of stuff. I'd hear fills or riffs in his concerts, then hear some older and my brain goes "WAAAAIT A MINUTE!"

I forget the "Colonized Mind" reference.

I'm never quite sure about that Laid Back reference, though. Sure, they sound the same, but is it really a lift of their song for "Erotic City?" Just a happy coincidence? It was the 80s after all, and as much as music was different and evolving, there was still a lot of cross pollenation and heavy borrowing.

Every time I hear "Faithfully" by Journey, I now think of "Purple Rain." Because I was always impressed that Prince thought enough of them to call Jonathan Cain and say, "Hey, is this too much like your song?" And Cain said they were fine.

In short, I don't think he was "inspired" or otherwise from an obscure Jesse song. I believe, moreover, it says how funky and inventive they both were as musicians. Jesse still never quite gets the credit he deserves. He's the troubled soul of the group (there's always one that jumps ship or causes an uproar in some way, and Jesse was that guy for The Time).

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/05/21 12:09pm

Wolfie87

Yep, I definitely hear it. It's almost the same song, LoL lol
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/05/21 4:05pm

Dandroppedadim
e

I can hear the similarities, but it also reminds me of James Brown’s style of music.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/05/21 4:15pm

alphastreet

Yes it made me think of James brown and mj
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/05/21 5:42pm

plymouthavenue
north

There's a song even more like Jump For It (as far as the sounds and overall vibe) on SOTT Super Deluxe. I thought of Jump For It the minute I heard it. Most of us hadn't heard it before SOTT SDE. Anyone else noticed which song?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/05/21 5:51pm

PennyPurple

avatar

alphastreet said:

My friend knows jesse, I’m going to ask her if he thinks prince has heard it/sampled it and let you know [Edited 10/4/21 22:06pm]

And just what you think jesse will say? LMAO.

He's going to say Prince stole it from him, he didn't get any $$ for it, blah blah blah.

U.S.A.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/05/21 9:26pm

alphastreet

PennyPurple said:



alphastreet said:


My friend knows jesse, I’m going to ask her if he thinks prince has heard it/sampled it and let you know [Edited 10/4/21 22:06pm]

And just what you think jesse will say? LMAO.


He's going to say Prince stole it from him, he didn't get any $$ for it, blah blah blah.



lol
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/11/21 1:24pm

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

alphastreet said:[quote]

PennyPurple said:



alphastreet said:


My friend knows jesse, I’m going to ask her if he thinks prince has heard it/sampled it and let you know [Edited 10/4/21 22:06pm]

And just what you think jesse will say? LMAO.


He's going to say Prince stole it from him, he didn't get any $$ for it, blah blah blah.



Yes it could become a whole new tmbgitw ... imagined you could be the very reason the track is banned on streaming eek biggrin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/11/21 2:21pm

herb4

avatar

FWIW, I hear "I WIll Follow" by U2 in "Guitar"

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/11/21 10:42pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

herb4 said:

FWIW, I hear "I WIll Follow" by U2 in "Guitar"


YOU AIN'T WRONG ON THAT ONE!

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/12/21 9:04am

jone70

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

LoveGalore said:


You could tell Prince did just that sometimes though. Isn't "Colonized Mind" basically a very close facsimile of a song from the 70s? I forget what song but it's been posted here. And of course "Erotic City" is inspired by "White Horse." "Purple Rain"'s inspiration has been talked about. Prince was full of references, he just was good at making it sound like he dreamt his songs up himself.


No doubt. Let's call a thing a thing: he stole a lot of stuff. I'd hear fills or riffs in his concerts, then hear some older and my brain goes "WAAAAIT A MINUTE!"

I forget the "Colonized Mind" reference.

I'm never quite sure about that Laid Back reference, though. Sure, they sound the same, but is it really a lift of their song for "Erotic City?" Just a happy coincidence? It was the 80s after all, and as much as music was different and evolving, there was still a lot of cross pollenation and heavy borrowing.

Every time I hear "Faithfully" by Journey, I now think of "Purple Rain." Because I was always impressed that Prince thought enough of them to call Jonathan Cain and say, "Hey, is this too much like your song?" And Cain said they were fine.

In short, I don't think he was "inspired" or otherwise from an obscure Jesse song. I believe, moreover, it says how funky and inventive they both were as musicians. Jesse still never quite gets the credit he deserves. He's the troubled soul of the group (there's always one that jumps ship or causes an uproar in some way, and Jesse was that guy for The Time).



Miriam Makeba's Quit It

The check. The string he dropped. The Mona Lisa. The musical notes taken out of a hat. The glass. The toy shotgun painting. The things he found. Therefore, everything seen–every object, that is, plus the process of looking at it–is a Duchamp.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Inspiration for the song Musicology?