independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Configuration confusion! (1985-1986)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 06/24/21 5:57am

olb99

avatar

I'm not as opposed to fan-made releases/remixes/configurations/etc. as Databank, but the Pimpsandwhich release is another argument against them, I guess. After a long time, people will forget they're fan-made, which is a pity, as things are already confusing enough.

[Edited 6/24/21 5:58am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 06/24/21 10:44am

tab32792

VaultCurator said:



tab32792 said:


Dream factory keeps being named by him in the book but Prince never called it that.


Indeed.




Says the flesh. Not prince and the Revolution. Lol nice try though
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 06/24/21 11:04am

VaultCurator

avatar

tab32792 said:

VaultCurator said:



tab32792 said:


Dream factory keeps being named by him in the book but Prince never called it that.


Indeed.




Says the flesh. Not prince and the Revolution. Lol nice try though


Yeah, probably a completely different band that has no affiliation with Prince whatsoever. Don't I feel stupid now.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 06/24/21 12:08pm

Romeoblu

JorisE73 said:



lustmealways said:


velvet kitty cat is "not so hot" in any form, bring me the katrina's paper dolls re-record and then we'll talk





This version isn't even mentioned in the book but last year (or the year before.. time flies) a sample of a 'Cosmic Day-like' version of Katrina's Paper Dolls along with re-recordings of Make U Mine and Rearrange was shared to some (plus some stuff mentioned some time ago pon a topic here).



That Katrina's Paper Dolls sounds cool. Is the vocal the same as Cosmic Day?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 06/24/21 5:21pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

VaultCurator said:

SquirrelMeat said:

I finished the book yesterday and it was great. There were a few minor errors in it, but nothing major.

In reference to Dream Factory. I believe the Thunderball release is wrongly tracked, even if it came from a legitmate source. I think its that release where, if you listen really carefully at the end of Movie Star you can hear the first note of All My Dreams before it cuts to The Cross.

Databank and I were comparing samples a few months back and one of the versions of Movie Star I had definitely segued into All My Dreams.

So I think Per/Duane are correct.


Hi Squirrel Meat. I've just played the end of Movie Star and the start of All My Dreams a few times with my headphones up as loud as possible and I didn't hear any cross over. I checked both the Thunderball version and the SaTim / Sabotage clean up. No joy on either.

The only version where there is crossover is the PimpSandwhich edition, but he re-tracked that one himself to match the sequence in Per's book.

If you or Databank have another version or something you can show me (a waveform, a spectral, anything) please do as I'd like to know more. If the Thunderball tape was re-arranged I'd like to rule it out as genuine, but everything looks solid as far as I can tell.

Hi, I didn't know about the pimp sandwich 'remix'. That might be the source i'm referencing. I moved away from various physical releases and only go by digital as reference material. I have the original CD's in storage, but my digital vault is an an attempt to just capture the best or only version.

.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 06/24/21 5:58pm

lurker316

avatar

tab32792 said:

VaultCurator said:


Indeed.

Says the flesh. Not prince and the Revolution. Lol nice try though


Because the tone of the written word is not always easy to interpret, I can't tell if that's your attempt at humor or if you're actually being serious?



 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 06/24/21 11:23pm

JorisE73

Romeoblu said:

JorisE73 said:



This version isn't even mentioned in the book but last year (or the year before.. time flies) a sample of a 'Cosmic Day-like' version of Katrina's Paper Dolls along with re-recordings of Make U Mine and Rearrange was shared to some (plus some stuff mentioned some time ago pon a topic here).

That Katrina's Paper Dolls sounds cool. Is the vocal the same as Cosmic Day?


I heard less than 10 second snippet oveer the phone from a trader who had a slightly longer sample of it and the vocal are the same high pithced like Cosmic Day and faster than the releassed version.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 06/25/21 6:53am

Romeoblu

JorisE73 said:



Romeoblu said:


JorisE73 said:




This version isn't even mentioned in the book but last year (or the year before.. time flies) a sample of a 'Cosmic Day-like' version of Katrina's Paper Dolls along with re-recordings of Make U Mine and Rearrange was shared to some (plus some stuff mentioned some time ago pon a topic here).



That Katrina's Paper Dolls sounds cool. Is the vocal the same as Cosmic Day?


I heard less than 10 second snippet oveer the phone from a trader who had a slightly longer sample of it and the vocal are the same high pithced like Cosmic Day and faster than the releassed version.


Ok. Thanks.

Hopefully someday soon we'll get more tracks from 85/86 on a Parade sde.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 06/25/21 8:44am

yello1

Romeoblu said:

JorisE73 said:


I heard less than 10 second snippet oveer the phone from a trader who had a slightly longer sample of it and the vocal are the same high pithced like Cosmic Day and faster than the releassed version.

Ok. Thanks. Hopefully someday soon we'll get more tracks from 85/86 on a Parade sde.

Anyone have more info about this? What other songs include the sample?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 06/26/21 8:26am

scififilmnerd

avatar

andrewm7 said:

This is just speculation from me, but the tracks that circulated from c1987 that were used in bootlegs like Charade might be a worktape for Clare Fischer to arrange strings to. This makes sense to me, as Prince may well see no need for strings in Kiss or Velvet Kitty Cat smile

That's a great theory. I used that on the Track Lists for Unreleased Albums list on the Chronological Prince Recordings Index blog, as it flies with Duane Tudahl's 6 May 1985 write-up about Prince moving tracks around and sending a tape to Clare Fischer. biggrin Check it out here (and look for your credit in the comments): https://chronologicalprin...s-and.html wink

Also, Duane Tudahl says Velvet Kitty Cat lasts (2:42), but I think that's counting the extended part of Life Can Be so Nice on the 1 May 1985 configuration. Maybe that's actually an intro to Velvet Kitty Cat? confused

[Edited 6/26/21 8:35am]

rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 06/26/21 12:19pm

lurker316

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

andrewm7 said:

This is just speculation from me, but the tracks that circulated from c1987 that were used in bootlegs like Charade might be a worktape for Clare Fischer to arrange strings to. This makes sense to me, as Prince may well see no need for strings in Kiss or Velvet Kitty Cat smile

That's a great theory. I used that on the Track Lists for Unreleased Albums list on the Chronological Prince Recordings Index blog, as it flies with Duane Tudahl's 6 May 1985 write-up about Prince moving tracks around and sending a tape to Clare Fischer. biggrin Check it out here (and look for your credit in the comments): https://chronologicalprin...s-and.html wink

Also, Duane Tudahl says Velvet Kitty Cat lasts (2:42), but I think that's counting the extended part of Life Can Be so Nice on the 1 May 1985 configuration. Maybe that's actually an intro to Velvet Kitty Cat? confused

[Edited 6/26/21 8:35am]


This reminded me to check your website for updates. I'd copied all of your lists into Word documents last year. Rather than check for each individual update, I just recopied everything from scratch. Thanks again for all of the work you put into those lists.




 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 06/26/21 12:57pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

lurker316 said:

scififilmnerd said:

That's a great theory. I used that on the Track Lists for Unreleased Albums list on the Chronological Prince Recordings Index blog, as it flies with Duane Tudahl's 6 May 1985 write-up about Prince moving tracks around and sending a tape to Clare Fischer. biggrin Check it out here (and look for your credit in the comments): https://chronologicalprin...s-and.html wink

Also, Duane Tudahl says Velvet Kitty Cat lasts (2:42), but I think that's counting the extended part of Life Can Be so Nice on the 1 May 1985 configuration. Maybe that's actually an intro to Velvet Kitty Cat? confused

[Edited 6/26/21 8:35am]


This reminded me to check your website for updates. I'd copied all of your lists into Word documents last year. Rather than check for each individual update, I just recopied everything from scratch. Thanks again for all of the work you put into those lists.

Thank you. biggrin

rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 07/16/21 5:11am

scififilmnerd

avatar

After reading Duane's book, I realized there was a few misconceptions about the previously supposed late May Parade configuration besides it actually being from 1 May. The extended version of Life Can Be So Nice can not have been on it so I ended up with these track times based on the latest recorded versions of the songs prior to the configuration being made:

Prince & The Revolution: Parade (1 May 1985)

A) Wendy’s Parade (2:09)*

New Position (2:20)

I Wonder U (1:38)*

Under The Cherry Moon (2:57)

Others Here With Us (2:42)**

Life Can Be So Nice (3:13)*

Velvet Kitty Cat (2:42)*

B) Sometimes It Snows In April (6:56)

Kiss (3:48)

Old Friends 4 Sale (3:33)*

All My Dreams (7:15)

* = unreleased version. ** = unreleased track. biggrin

[Edited 7/16/21 5:16am]

rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 07/16/21 5:28am

Milty2

I can't get my head around the fact that in May 1985, Prince had just finished the Purple Rain tour a few months earlier and released Around The World In A Day and was already configuring an album for a film that hadn't started production and that wouldn't be released for another year.

That is a lot of drive and ambition.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Configuration confusion! (1985-1986)