independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's Infamous 1981 Rolling Stones Supporting Gig: He Didn't Sing In A Falsetto!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 04/26/21 10:25am

AZStreet

avatar

soladeo1 said:

I had a chance to hear a recording of the show. It's pretty crazy sounding, actually. Seems like the crowd was a big, rolling, hostile hot mess.

Biggest Surprise?

Prince sang in a lower register throughout. No falsetto!

This might have been the first time he did this live??

I guess he wanted to sound like more of a rocker this day. Not a high-pitched disco funk boy.



Is the audio of the concert out there on the internets? Only clip Ive heard of this show is the booing part.

"You know, this is funky but I wish he'd play like he used to, old scragglyhead son of a...*smack* OOH!"

"Who's the foo singing will it's would"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 04/26/21 11:33am

soladeo1

AZStreet said:

soladeo1 said:

I had a chance to hear a recording of the show. It's pretty crazy sounding, actually. Seems like the crowd was a big, rolling, hostile hot mess.

Biggest Surprise?

Prince sang in a lower register throughout. No falsetto!

This might have been the first time he did this live??

I guess he wanted to sound like more of a rocker this day. Not a high-pitched disco funk boy.



Is the audio of the concert out there on the internets? Only clip Ive heard of this show is the booing part.

I heard it. It's fascinating. He launched off with a scorching version of Bambi. All sung in his non-falsetto head voice.

I can't find it, though!!!!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 04/26/21 10:15pm

Vannormal

avatar

-

There are boots in bad quality to be found of one of the opening shows if you search for them.

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 04/27/21 6:02am

olb99

avatar

Yes. The October 11, 1981 show is widely circulating. I'm currently listening to it. Duration: 18:19. Sound: pretty bad, quite distant.

.

http://www.princevault.co...tober_1981

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 04/27/21 6:18am

SantanaMaitrey
a

The last song is very appropriate
O tempora! O mores!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 04/29/21 6:15am

Vannormal

avatar

-

Just listened to the Lisa Coleman Podcast (musicLAB),

there's a 25+ minutes rebuild conversation between the bandmembers and some collage background noises about this famous opening night for The Rolling Stones.

-

At 10:40 i hear something like a Prince song i never heard ? (or is this Dez?)

-

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/lisa-colemans-musiclab-podcast/id1497358816

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 04/29/21 6:37am

love2thenines2
003

olb99 said:

Yes. The October 11, 1981 show is widely circulating. I'm currently listening to it. Duration: 18:19. Sound: pretty bad, quite distant.

.

http://www.princevault.co...tober_1981

I heard that a soundboard version is in the hands of collectors !

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 04/30/21 2:22am

Vannormal

avatar

love2thenines2003 said:

olb99 said:

Yes. The October 11, 1981 show is widely circulating. I'm currently listening to it. Duration: 18:19. Sound: pretty bad, quite distant.

.

http://www.princevault.co...tober_1981

I heard that a soundboard version is in the hands of collectors !

-

Well, hearing something is like factless info,

question is 'WHO' ?

Can you, or dare you name who ?

razz

-

Again, this Podcast by Lisa Coleman about this falous concert is pretty nice :

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/lisa-colemans-musiclab-podcast/id1497358816

-

And listen to 10:40, and tell me if this is an unheard Prince song in the background or not ?

I'm not sure, btu it sounds like him...

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 05/05/21 5:54pm

AMERICA1ST

He was playing the LA Colesium (capacity over 90K at the time) full of rowdy drunken Stones fans. Chances are a falsetto would not have carried well enough to sound good or evne be heard at all.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 05/05/21 5:56pm

AMERICA1ST

Vannormal said:

SantanaMaitreya said:

From Bill Wyman's book Rolling with The Stones. Support acts on the American tour of 1981: George Thorogood & The Destroyers J. Geils Band Heart Journey Van Halen Stray Cats Santana Bobby Womack Etta James Screaming Jay Hawkins And more, too many too mention, but a pretty diverse list, wouldn't you say? [Edited 4/24/21 2:03am]

-

It would be intersting to know how the die-hard front rows Stones fans reacted to the other opening (black) artists.

-

What other black artists were there opening for the Stones?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's Infamous 1981 Rolling Stones Supporting Gig: He Didn't Sing In A Falsetto!