independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Starr Cullars (Parliament/Funkadelic) tells the story of how she auditioned for Prince
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/13/21 1:37am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

Starr Cullars (Parliament/Funkadelic) tells the story of how she auditioned for Prince

https://www.himalaya.com/...d-97682936

.

This must take place at the end of 1987 or in early 1988, not in 1989 as she claims.

.

The Prince anecdote starts around the 14th minute.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/13/21 4:35am

jdcxc

Interesting...she outed Sheila.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/13/21 9:35am

Milty2

Great story. Is it safe to say that Miles Davis was around PP more than we thought or told?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/13/21 2:05pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

jdcxc said:

Interesting...she outed Sheila.


Yeah, but just because Sheila was complimenting Starr doesn't make Sheila lesbian. That's a huge assumption without other evidence. Is Sheila bisexual? Maybe, but this interview doesn't really give evidence of it.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/13/21 2:44pm

jdcxc

TrivialPursuit said:

jdcxc said:

Interesting...she outed Sheila.


Yeah, but just because Sheila was complimenting Starr doesn't make Sheila lesbian. That's a huge assumption without other evidence. Is Sheila bisexual? Maybe, but this interview doesn't really give evidence of it.

Starr was in the Funkadelic Camp...Sheila has been friends and biz partner with Bride of Funkenstein Lynn Mabry for years. Im sure Cullars has some insider info. Of course it's not definitive and its Sheila's business only, but I was suprised Starr went there.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/13/21 7:41pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

jdcxc said:

Starr was in the Funkadelic Camp...Sheila has been friends and biz partner with Bride of Funkenstein Lynn Mabry for years. Im sure Cullars has some insider info. Of course it's not definitive and its Sheila's business only, but I was suprised Starr went there.


Yeah, I know about Lynn, et al.

Cullars tweaked quite a few elements of the story. Over-dramatized small pieces. It doesn't discredit her story or anything, but it questions claims like Sheila E. is bisexual.

Who's to say Cullens didn't have the hots for Sheila and was projecting her desires onto a compliment or potential friendship w/ Sheila?

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/13/21 11:12pm

Astasheiks

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

https://www.himalaya.com/...d-97682936

.

This must take place at the end of 1987 or in early 1988, not in 1989 as she claims.

.

The Prince anecdote starts around the 14th minute.

Listed as 100 Female Best Bass Players of all time...hhhmmm Have to check out more of her tunes she has played on smile

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/13/21 11:35pm

lavendardrumma
chine

TrivialPursuit said:

Who's to say Cullens didn't have the hots for Sheila and was projecting her desires onto a compliment or potential friendship w/ Sheila?


Starr seems to think everyone has the hots for her, but she also just point blank says "that was when I knew", and later says Sheila took her number. She definintely outs her and she's talking like it's common knowledge. "Oh yeah, she's gay - gay, she's real gay" or whatever she says. By gay, she must mean bisexual.

[Edited 3/14/21 0:51am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/13/21 11:36pm

lavendardrumma
chine

Wonder if that experience planted the seeds for 3rd Eye.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/23/21 11:59pm

Graycap23

avatar

She is a trip.

I never heard of her.

I need 2 check out her music.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/24/21 4:06am

Vannormal

avatar

-

Waw. Thank you Bart.

I just love these stories.

But, Sheila being gay ?!

Likely impossible tbh.

Otherwise Wendy or Lisa would've mentioned that somewhere...

No ?

Everything we know could be wrong though. wink

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/24/21 4:33am

TheTruth123

TrivialPursuit said:



jdcxc said:


Interesting...she outed Sheila.




Yeah, but just because Sheila was complimenting Starr doesn't make Sheila lesbian. That's a huge assumption without other evidence. Is Sheila bisexual? Maybe, but this interview doesn't really give evidence of it.



Oh , yes it does. Starr knows what’s up.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/24/21 8:24am

SPYZFAN1

Starr is married to P-Funk bassist Lige Curry...They've been together for years. She's not at the "Bootsy/Skeets" level of playing bass, but she is good. She usually plays in Lige's side project bands.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/24/21 3:19pm

Genesia

avatar

Vannormal said:

-

Waw. Thank you Bart.

I just love these stories.

But, Sheila being gay ?!

Likely impossible tbh.

Otherwise Wendy or Lisa would've mentioned that somewhere...

No ?

Everything we know could be wrong though. wink

-


How do you figure that?

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/24/21 10:04pm

CyndiGR

WHAT AN AMAZING STORY!

and the way she tells it, too..

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/24/21 10:05pm

CyndiGR

BartVanHemelen said:

https://www.himalaya.com/...d-97682936

.

This must take place at the end of 1987 or in early 1988, not in 1989 as she claims.

.

The Prince anecdote starts around the 14th minute.

thank you..

this is priceless

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/25/21 3:38am

Vannormal

avatar

Genesia said:

Vannormal said:

-

Waw. Thank you Bart.

I just love these stories.

But, Sheila being gay ?!

Likely impossible tbh.

Otherwise Wendy or Lisa would've mentioned that somewhere...

No ?

Everything we know could be wrong though. wink

-


How do you figure that?

-

Did you listen to the podcast ?

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/25/21 6:33am

Genesia

avatar

Vannormal said:

Genesia said:


How do you figure that?

-

Did you listen to the podcast ?

-


Yes, I did. I'm wondering what makes you think Wendy and Lisa would have outed Sheila.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/25/21 4:47pm

thebanishedone

So 1987 1988 band member told me there was no sign ever of Sheila and Prince romance and that Sheila like girls.An apparent eye witness had seen Sheila in 1989 with asian lookin girl in Sheilas lap at some night club.But Prince bios are stating that Wendy and Lisa were uptight with Sheila cause she was fooling around with Prince behind Wendys sister back.So if Prince banged Sheila it got to be around her first album.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/28/21 11:16pm

Vannormal

avatar

thebanishedone said:

So 1987 1988 band member told me there was no sign ever of Sheila and Prince romance and that Sheila like girls.An apparent eye witness had seen Sheila in 1989 with asian lookin girl in Sheilas lap at some night club.But Prince bios are stating that Wendy and Lisa were uptight with Sheila cause she was fooling around with Prince behind Wendys sister back.So if Prince banged Sheila it got to be around her first album.

-

Well, that's some heavy good gossip shit - if it is true.

Who is this bandmember ?

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/29/21 12:11am

thebanishedone

Vannormal said:



thebanishedone said:


So 1987 1988 band member told me there was no sign ever of Sheila and Prince romance and that Sheila like girls.An apparent eye witness had seen Sheila in 1989 with asian lookin girl in Sheilas lap at some night club.But Prince bios are stating that Wendy and Lisa were uptight with Sheila cause she was fooling around with Prince behind Wendys sister back.So if Prince banged Sheila it got to be around her first album.

-


Well, that's some heavy good gossip shit - if it is true.


Who is this bandmember ?


-

sorry but i promise to him that i will not say smile
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/29/21 12:31pm

HrdwcH

avatar

Pro'bly Wally. He's on record sayin' it was just 4 the Sex of It. biggrin If U wanna know where he said it, go look 4 it. It's not that hard 2 find. But apart from ev'rything, who gives a rat's ass whether she's gay or not? I don't remember it being against the law... and even if it were..... confused

thebanishedone said:

Vannormal said:

-

Well, that's some heavy good gossip shit - if it is true.

Who is this bandmember ?

-

sorry but i promise to him that i will not say smile

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/29/21 12:51pm

jjam

jdcxc said:

Interesting...she outed Sheila.

Not news. A member of The Uptown Dames did that on here about 15 years ago without realising that Sheila wasn't out.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/29/21 6:08pm

Graycap23

avatar

jjam said:

jdcxc said:

Interesting...she outed Sheila.

Not news. A member of The Uptown Dames did that on here about 15 years ago without realising that Sheila wasn't out.

Why are folks acting like this is news?

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 04/03/21 4:25am

RJOrion

the stories about Sheila E being bisexual are decades old and have been told and hinted at too many times by too many people to count ... im amazed that so many hardcore Prince fans are suprised or in denial about it
[Edited 4/3/21 7:51am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 04/03/21 6:30am

SPYZFAN1

What RJOrion said.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 04/03/21 7:54am

RJOrion

im kinda surprised Starr Cullars never became a bigger name in music...her talent and beauty are/were elite
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 04/05/21 3:53am

Vannormal

avatar

RJOrion said:

im kinda surprised Starr Cullars never became a bigger name in music...her talent and beauty are/were elite

-

That's not what one needs to become a ''bigger name in music''.

It's ''ambition'' what every one needsin the first place.

Nothing else even is needed.

(besides ambition, all the rest might be of some help too.)

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Starr Cullars (Parliament/Funkadelic) tells the story of how she auditioned for Prince