independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > When people say they don't like P's 1990's albums
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 01/12/21 3:38am

jaawwnn

avatar

Cinny said:

Look, I never go back and listen to Graffiti Bridge, Diamonds & Pearls, or prince.


But orgers still jump down my throat when I say that. hmmm


I simply prefer his output for the remainder of the decade: Come, The Black Album (don't care about the technicality since this one is always skipped over in 80s discussion), The Gold Experience, Girl 6, EMANCIPATION (!!!), Crystal Ball.

The Black Album was literally recorded in the 80s though, as was a fair chunk of Crystal Ball. No one who complains about Prince's 90s albums is complaining about The Black Album.

Anyway, my only real issue with his 90s albums is they could have been so much better, there's always a better alternate version of a track knocking about on a VHS or bootleg.

"I think people ought to know that we're anti-fascist, we're anti-violence, we're anti-racist and we're pro-creative. We're against ignorance."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 01/12/21 6:41am

JayCrawford

Fans who became a fan of Prince during the 90s are fighting for their lives about the man's music then 🤣
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 01/12/21 7:14am

OperatingTheta
n

Come, The Gold Experience and The Truth album are all classic Prince albums in my estimation. In addition, a classic single album can be compiled from both Emancipation and Crystal Ball.

Much of Love Symbol is also first rate and the best material on NewPower Soul and Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic is still very strong, even compared to Prince's 80s work.

The War is Prince's 'Crystal Ball' of the 90s and Chaos and Disorder remains Prince's most convincing rock album.

From my perspective, Prince's 90s work is essential and vital in understanding and appreciating his entire career.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 01/12/21 7:19am

JayCrawford

OperatingThetan said:

Come, The Gold Experience and The Truth album are all classic Prince albums in my estimation. In addition, a classic single album can be compiled from both Emancipation and Crystal Ball.

Much of Love Symbol is also first rate and the best material on NewPower Soul and Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic is still very strong, even compared to Prince's 80s work.

The War is Prince's 'Crystal Ball' of the 90s and Chaos and Disorder remains Prince's most convincing rock album.

From my perspective, Prince's 90s work is essential and vital in understanding and appreciating his entire career.



Nah, they're garbage.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 01/12/21 7:45am

JorisE73

the moment Gett Off hit a new era started that was so awesome and lasted for me till 1996.
All those albums, tours, one off shows between 1991 and 1996 was just a great time (including the whole namechange thing) for me this period rivals and is just as awesome as 1981 to 1988.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 01/12/21 7:45am

JayCrawford

JorisE73 said:

the moment Gett Off hit a new era started that was so awesome and lasted for me till 1996.
All those albums, tours, one off shows between 1991 and 1996 was just a great time (including the whole namechange thing) for me this period rivals and is just as awesome as 1981 to 1988.



No way in hell it doesn't lol!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 01/12/21 7:54am

JorisE73

JayCrawford said:

JorisE73 said:

the moment Gett Off hit a new era started that was so awesome and lasted for me till 1996.
All those albums, tours, one off shows between 1991 and 1996 was just a great time (including the whole namechange thing) for me this period rivals and is just as awesome as 1981 to 1988.

No way in hell it doesn't lol!


Different taste and all. There's no harm in liking others things.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 01/12/21 8:00am

sexton

avatar

jaawwnn said:

Cinny said:

Look, I never go back and listen to Graffiti Bridge, Diamonds & Pearls, or prince.


But orgers still jump down my throat when I say that. hmmm


I simply prefer his output for the remainder of the decade: Come, The Black Album (don't care about the technicality since this one is always skipped over in 80s discussion), The Gold Experience, Girl 6, EMANCIPATION (!!!), Crystal Ball.

The Black Album was literally recorded in the 80s though, as was a fair chunk of Crystal Ball. No one who complains about Prince's 90s albums is complaining about The Black Album.

Anyway, my only real issue with his 90s albums is they could have been so much better, there's always a better alternate version of a track knocking about on a VHS or bootleg.


Not only that, The Black Album was pressed in 1987 with promotional copies released that year. The 90s versions are just repressings or rereleases. It would be like calling The Undertaker a 2020s album if it got a commercial release tomorrow. Legitimate copies escaped to the public long ago.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 01/12/21 8:08am

tab32792

The lazy excuse is "Prince was following trends""Too much rap/hip hop" "Prince wasn't experimental".

For starters, literally everybody was incorporating hip-hop into their music. But there's more songs that he made without rap than those that have it. Prince never really stopped being experimental. That's my argument and hill i'm willing to die on. 1990-1996 is just as great as 1980-1987. D&P had an agenda so I get it. Still a good album. prince was the start of something though. He was fueled by anger and frustration. He took contemporary sounds and whatever was popular but still made it his own! Nothing on the radio sounded like Gett Off. I understand preference for sure. I understand nostalgia, etc. I understand all of that. the 80's are what made us fall in love with Prince. But, that doesn't mean he stopped making good music. Idk what yall gauge good music by but to me, if i like it and it makes me feel good, the rest doesn't matter. experimental doesn't always mean good either. there's a couple clunkers in the 80's that people like that do nothing for me. but to each his/her own.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 01/12/21 8:09am

tab32792

RJOrion said:

his 90s music was no better or worse than his 80s music... it just sounded different and it was marketed different... times changed.. music changed...trends changed...people changed... Prince stayed great

This right here!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 01/12/21 8:21am

vainandy

avatar

JayCrawford said:

Fans who became a fan of Prince during the 90s are fighting for their lives about the man's music then 🤣

What I don't understand is, why would anything past the 1980s need to be remastered? I mean, the reason for remastering old albums in the first place is because they were originally released on vinyl. When CDs replaced vinyl as the main format for music, the previous albums were put onto CDs but the sound quality of them didn't sound as strong and crisp as the sound quality on the newly released albums at the time. If you played a mixture of songs from CDs from Prince's entire career (or any other artist whose career spanned several decades), when a song prior to the 1990s came on, you were going to hear a drastic difference in sound quality. But CDs were already the main format in the 1990s so the songs from those albums were already in CD quality from the very moment they were originally released. There's not much improvement that can be made to the sound, certainly not enough to make me want to buy the product all over again, even if I considered it one of his best albums. I don't know about y'all, but I don't have the money to keep buying something over and over again simply because technology might have slightly improved enough to the point that you finally hear Prince accidentally fart in the studio while he was recording a song.

.

And as for expanded editions, Prince did very few B-Sides after the 1980s. And 12 Inches were totally different also. They were no longer an extended version of the original track with a different song on the B-Side. They were sometimes four and five remixes of the same song that had no resemblence to the original song. A house mix, an acid mix, a shit hop mix, and so on and so on and they sounded very generic and repetitive. I loved house music at the time but was disappointed with Prince's house remixes because he was not a house artist and that was not his expertise. Plus, the only good house song is one that was orginally recorded and meant to be a house song in the first place. Turning a funk track into a house song is changing the style of the song altogether so naturally it's going to sound bland because it wasn't meant to be a house song. There's just too much unnecessary bullshit that was released to accompany those albums at the time to put into an expanded edition. Plus, all that extra stuff was originally released on CDs back then too so if you want it, just simply pull your original CDs out and play them. And if there is a big demand for them (which I doubt) and they are out of print, simply reissue them and put them back on sale. But don't waste time on projects that are already in CD quality.

.

As for unreleased tracks from the 1990s, the majority of the ones I've heard on youtube are bland and generic sounding and the decent ones that I've heard, I can live without.

Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 01/12/21 8:29am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Look at Robert Christgau's reviews?

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 01/12/21 8:45am

JayCrawford

tab32792 said:

The lazy excuse is "Prince was following trends""Too much rap/hip hop" "Prince wasn't experimental".



For starters, literally everybody was incorporating hip-hop into their music. But there's more songs that he made without rap than those that have it. Prince never really stopped being experimental. That's my argument and hill i'm willing to die on. 1990-1996 is just as great as 1980-1987. D&P had an agenda so I get it. Still a good album. prince was the start of something though. He was fueled by anger and frustration. He took contemporary sounds and whatever was popular but still made it his own! Nothing on the radio sounded like Gett Off. I understand preference for sure. I understand nostalgia, etc. I understand all of that. the 80's are what made us fall in love with Prince. But, that doesn't mean he stopped making good music. Idk what yall gauge good music by but to me, if i like it and it makes me feel good, the rest doesn't matter. experimental doesn't always mean good either. there's a couple clunkers in the 80's that people like that do nothing for me. but to each his/her own.



1990-1996 is just as great as 1980-1987? Wow so you're basically saying that D&P, Love Symbol, Come, TGE, Emancipation are just as great as his masterpieces like Dirty Mind, Controversy, 1999, Purple Rain, Parade and SOTT?!?! 🤣

It has nothing to do with nostalgia at all, I wish people would stop using that shit as their arguement. objectively it is a fact that Princes best shit were in fact the 80s. Albums like Dirty Mind, 1999, Purple Rain and SOTT are considered his greatest work and are considered some of the most influential albums in music, they were pioneering albums and put a characteristic sound like Minneapolis sound on the map and Prince is one of the last big names to keep funk alive next to Rick James. It made history and broke barriers. Prince was at his best throughout the 80s period.


[Snip - luv4u]
[Edited 1/12/21 8:45am]
[Edited 1/12/21 8:51am]
[Edited 1/12/21 8:53am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 01/12/21 8:47am

JayCrawford

vainandy said:



JayCrawford said:


Fans who became a fan of Prince during the 90s are fighting for their lives about the man's music then 🤣

What I don't understand is, why would anything past the 1980s need to be remastered? I mean, the reason for remastering old albums in the first place is because they were originally released on vinyl. When CDs replaced vinyl as the main format for music, the previous albums were put onto CDs but the sound quality of them didn't sound as strong and crisp as the sound quality on the newly released albums at the time. If you played a mixture of songs from CDs from Prince's entire career (or any other artist whose career spanned several decades), when a song prior to the 1990s came on, you were going to hear a drastic difference in sound quality. But CDs were already the main format in the 1990s so the songs from those albums were already in CD quality from the very moment they were originally released. There's not much improvement that can be made to the sound, certainly not enough to make me want to buy the product all over again, even if I considered it one of his best albums. I don't know about y'all, but I don't have the money to keep buying something over and over again simply because technology might have slightly improved enough to the point that you finally hear Prince accidentally fart in the studio while he was recording a song.


.


And as for expanded editions, Prince did very few B-Sides after the 1980s. And 12 Inches were totally different also. They were no longer an extended version of the original track with a different song on the B-Side. They were sometimes four and five remixes of the same song that had no resemblence to the original song. A house mix, an acid mix, a shit hop mix, and so on and so on and they sounded very generic and repetitive. I loved house music at the time but was disappointed with Prince's house remixes because he was not a house artist and that was not his expertise. Plus, the only good house song is one that was orginally recorded and meant to be a house song in the first place. Turning a funk track into a house song is changing the style of the song altogether so naturally it's going to sound bland because it wasn't meant to be a house song. There's just too much unnecessary bullshit that was released to accompany those albums at the time to put into an expanded edition. Plus, all that extra stuff was originally released on CDs back then too so if you want it, just simply pull your original CDs out and play them. And if there is a big demand for them (which I doubt) and they are out of print, simply reissue them and put them back on sale. But don't waste time on projects that are already in CD quality.


.


As for unreleased tracks from the 1990s, the majority of the ones I've heard on youtube are bland and generic sounding and the decent ones that I've heard, I can live without.




Exactly! That's what I can't understand myself. The vinyl era was dead and buried throughout the 90s.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 01/12/21 9:26am

NoSwan

avatar

JayCrawford said:

OperatingThetan said:
Come, The Gold Experience and The Truth album are all classic Prince albums in my estimation. In addition, a classic single album can be compiled from both Emancipation and Crystal Ball. Much of Love Symbol is also first rate and the best material on NewPower Soul and Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic is still very strong, even compared to Prince's 80s work. The War is Prince's 'Crystal Ball' of the 90s and Chaos and Disorder remains Prince's most convincing rock album. From my perspective, Prince's 90s work is essential and vital in understanding and appreciating his entire career.
Nah, they're garbage.

Poor you... Living only in your past, obsessively talking about the "good ol' times" and refusing to understand the rest...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 01/12/21 11:54am

Dalia11

My favorite Prince Albums from the 1990s:

Diamonds and Pearls. Graffiti Bridge.

The Gold Experience. Rave Un 2 The Joy Fantastic.

Love Symbol. Crystal Ball. Emancipation. Come.

Chaos and Disorders.
[Edited 1/12/21 11:58am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 01/12/21 12:54pm

dodger

JorisE73 said:

the moment Gett Off hit a new era started that was so awesome and lasted for me till 1996.
All those albums, tours, one off shows between 1991 and 1996 was just a great time (including the whole namechange thing) for me this period rivals and is just as awesome as 1981 to 1988.



This 100% for me. I became a fan at 15 after seeing the Gett Off video. Everything from 91-96 was golden for me. Albums, maxi-singles, videos, boots, side projects...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 01/12/21 1:02pm

lustmealways

avatar

my favorite prince albums from the 90s:

all of them

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 01/12/21 8:03pm

jfenster

JayCrawford said:

jfenster said:


Damn straight...how rare for an artist to have 2 great decades..


Nah, he was shit then. It was the end of Prince. RIP to Princes career from 80-87 the golden years

I's think u's was sent by demons....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 01/12/21 8:26pm

mynameisnotsus
an

Cinny said:

Look, I never go back and listen to Graffiti Bridge, Diamonds & Pearls, or prince.


But orgers still jump down my throat when I say that. hmmm


I simply prefer his output for the remainder of the decade: Come, The Black Album (don't care about the technicality since this one is always skipped over in 80s discussion), The Gold Experience, Girl 6, EMANCIPATION (!!!), Crystal Ball.



The cd format is really the problem with the '90s output. Edit any of them down to 9 tracks/45 minutes they would all be way better for it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 01/12/21 8:29pm

Dalia11

Some fans would eventually like to hear a "Graffiti Bridge" re-master deluxe!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 01/12/21 8:30pm

lustmealways

avatar

Dalia11 said:

Some fans would eventually like to hear a "Graffiti Bridge" re-master deluxe!

i don't trust the estate to do it right

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 01/12/21 10:30pm

Dalia11

Morris Day was also part of the "Graffiti Bridge" movie and sound track! He is a Musician and has known Prince for many decades. Morris would know what songs to add/remix, etc.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 01/13/21 5:32am

Se7en

avatar

mynameisnotsusan said:

Cinny said:

Look, I never go back and listen to Graffiti Bridge, Diamonds & Pearls, or prince.


But orgers still jump down my throat when I say that. hmmm


I simply prefer his output for the remainder of the decade: Come, The Black Album (don't care about the technicality since this one is always skipped over in 80s discussion), The Gold Experience, Girl 6, EMANCIPATION (!!!), Crystal Ball.

The cd format is really the problem with the '90s output. Edit any of them down to 9 tracks/45 minutes they would all be way better for it.


Everyone was making super-long albums in the 1990s. 12-16 songs was the norm!

But Prince thrived on shorter albums. Even Purple Rain was only 9 songs. Those early Prince albums didn't have "filler" material, segues, guest stars, etc.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 01/13/21 9:29am

Margot

vainandy said:

Deluxe editions should be handled like the coronavirus vaccines. Seniors are at higher risk of dying first so they should be the first to get their fix. Other groups come later. lol



Your posts are a treat.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 01/18/21 7:26am

Cinny

avatar

vainandy said:

JayCrawford said:

I personally want my Parade, Dirty Mind and Controversy super deluxe edition to happen because like Andy said. Us original Prince fans aren't getting any younger and we need this shit to happen and THEN they can focus on the younger Prince fans of the 90s and onwards.

Deluxe editions should be handled like the coronavirus vaccines. Seniors are at higher risk of dying first so they should be the first to get their fix. Other groups come later. lol

lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 01/18/21 8:24am

SantanaMaitrey
a

I don't like his 90s albums, but I do like a lot of his 90s music! I enjoy The Undertaker, The War and The Truth more than his albums. Probably because he was doing what he wanted instead of trying to create a hit or be a big badass rapper. The war with WB didn't help either: when songs like Interactive and Now and Days of Wild first leaked in early 1994, I loved them, but by the time the albums came out, they were old news. And live, he always kicked ass.
O tempora! O mores!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 01/18/21 10:18am

funkaholic1972

avatar

Margot said:

vainandy said:

Deluxe editions should be handled like the coronavirus vaccines. Seniors are at higher risk of dying first so they should be the first to get their fix. Other groups come later. lol

Your posts are a treat.

yeahthat

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 01/18/21 10:30am

funkaholic1972

avatar

I don't like most 90's albums because they were bloated with unnecessary rap segments, filler tracks and lots of stupid segues/interludes. There are still plenty of good quality songs to be found though on these albums!

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 01/18/21 6:25pm

jfenster

Trent Reznor is a fan of his 90's output....do u question his judgement?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > When people say they don't like P's 1990's albums