independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > YOUR Favorite Live Recordings?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/27/20 10:07am

sro100

avatar

YOUR Favorite Live Recordings?

Just starting to get into live shows on You Tube; currently listening to Birthday 1984 and if you haven't heard it then you really should.

What's your favorite live recordings? Either audio or video?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/27/20 11:05am

ufoclub

avatar

There is a Gold era afterwhow that is soundboard that is so good and it only was circulating within the last 6 years or so. Let me see if I can figure out what it is, I don't have it handy at the moment.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/27/20 3:59pm

Rimshottbob

Just been listening to the Xenophobia box set of the Paisley Park 2002 Celebration performances..

Some AMAZING music on there....... the sound is a little on the harsh side, but not too bad.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/27/20 6:39pm

Farfunknugin

avatar

ufoclub said:

There is a Gold era afterwhow that is soundboard that is so good and it only was circulating within the last 6 years or so. Let me see if I can figure out what it is, I don't have it handy at the moment.



I'm thinking that was the NYC show w/ kravitz guesting
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/27/20 6:46pm

jstar69

Estate if your watching- this HAS to get a soundboard release

Club Le New Morning, Paris – June 15th 1987 (AM) - ABSOLUTE KILLER SHOW.
And any of the 1988 aftershows
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/27/20 10:13pm

andrewm7

I tried compiling a list of my favourites, got to 20 shows and realised it was woefully incomplete lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/28/20 4:30pm

emesem

Is that the Just My Imagination boys vs girls version? So good.

jstar69 said:

Estate if your watching- this HAS to get a soundboard release Club Le New Morning, Paris – June 15th 1987 (AM) - ABSOLUTE KILLER SHOW. And any of the 1988 aftershows

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/28/20 4:31pm

feeluupp

Thieves In The Temple Acoustic version from Earls Court 91

[Edited 6/28/20 16:31pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/28/20 4:31pm

ForceofNature

4/3/86 @ The Metro

The soundboard is a bit wonky sounding in terms of sound balance however the gig is absolute fire. My personal favorite version of Mutiny is on there, and you get a great Prince solo on The Dance Electric

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/28/20 4:44pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

ufoclub said:

There is a Gold era afterwhow that is soundboard that is so good and it only was circulating within the last 6 years or so. Let me see if I can figure out what it is, I don't have it handy at the moment.


You were on track w/ my first thought. Years ago I bought a boot called Hallowed B Thy Name. Aside from some TV appearances, the bulk was from a Belgium after show during that era. It was just always so fascinated with it for some reason. It wasn't even soundboard. Then, after he died that show was uploaded to YouTube. I never thought I'd see the video of the show. I was just mesmerized all over again.

I think Trojan Horse is a go-to of stellar quality and musicianship. The birthday show is good, as is the March 1985 show, and the Valium show. Lovesexy shows deserve a big nod just for the sheer insanity of flipping from one song to the next so quickly. It was one huge medley. (Years later Green Day would do similar things on American Idiot - quick change of rhythm or time signatures, etc.)


Just when U think U've got more than enough, that's when it all up and flies away.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/28/20 5:03pm

ForceofNature

feeluupp said:

Thieves In The Temple Acoustic version from Earls Court 91

[Edited 6/28/20 16:31pm]

Oh man that is a fantastic one, I love Prince's acoustic guitar solos, his uses of "Sexy MF" and "It" in the open ended jam section, the ambient intro. Gets my vote for best re-arrangement of one of his songs

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/28/20 5:20pm

VaultCurator

avatar

Hi Sro100. I’m probably the worst person to ask as I’m more into studio recording than live, however is a shortlist of concerts I like.


1983-08-03 First Avenue (Making The Rain)
This is the concert where a lot of the Purple Rain album tracks were originally recorded (before they were mixed and dubbed in the studio). It features a beautiful version of ‘Electric Intercourse’ and the funkiest ‘DMSR’ I’ve ever heard.



1984-06-07 First Avenue (Birthday Show ‘84)
As you have already suggested. I like this concert as if offers a glimpse into what the follow up to Purple Rain may have sounded like, had Prince chosen not to go with the more avant-garde sound on ATWIAD.


1985-06-07 “27”
Much like his previous birthday show, this is Prince going off script and just playing what took his fancy. None of his own hits. Instead he performs tracks like ‘The Bird’, ‘A Love Bizarre’, ‘Holly Rock’. This is a cool show.


1986-06-07 Prince's Birthday Parade
Yes, another Birthday show, but this isn’t the reason I listen to this one. This one was actually filmed for TV so it makes for a great watch as well as a great listen. It’s a fantastic quality recording from his Parade tour. It was this show where the video to Anotherloverholeinyohead was filmed.


1987-03-21 4 Those Of U On Valium

This is the live rehearsal Prince did for a crowd at First Avenue. It was here that he publicly debuted much of the ‘Sign ‘O’ The Times’ material.


1988-08-18 The Trojan Horse Aftershow (Lovesexy 'Small Club' Aftershow)

A really popular concert. An outstanding aftershow and a must listen for any fan. Includes a funky as hell improvised track ‘People Without’, a beautiful version of ‘Still Would Stand All Time’ and a performance of ‘Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic’ that will blow your freaking mind!



1989-02-01 Sendai '89 (Lovesexy Tour)

If I'm remembering correctly all the Japanese Lovesexy shows sound really good, but Sendai just happened to be the one I bought first and I’ve stuck with it. If you want to listen to the Lovesexy live show you can’t go wrong here.



1994-02-13(am) Paisley Park Studios (One-Off Performance filming The Beautiful Experience)

A bit of an odd one as Prince was filming a TV special during this performance. In the middle of the show ‘The Most Beautiful Girl In The World’ video is debuted rather than played live. My favourite part is near the end where Prince decides to have a jam over a loop of ‘Martial Law’ by George Clinton. It’s exceptionally funky.


1994-06-27 Acknowledge Me

This show has a great mix of songs. It’s a jumbled up selection that spans Come, The Gold Experience, The Undertaker and there’s even ‘Get Wild’ from Exodus.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/29/20 6:03am

mediumdry

My favorite is the "aftershow" after he recorded the concert film for Controversy. The show in First Avenue (was it still called Sam's then?) that starts of with Prince explaining it'll just be a dance and then going off into a metal version of Bambi with The Time joining later on... still one of his career highlights in my book.

Paisley Park is in your heart - Love Is Here!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/29/20 6:42am

sulls

avatar

VaultCurator said:

Hi Sro100. I’m probably the worst person to ask as I’m more into studio recording than live, however is a shortlist of concerts I like.


1983-08-03 First Avenue (Making The Rain)
This is the concert where a lot of the Purple Rain album tracks were originally recorded (before they were mixed and dubbed in the studio). It features a beautiful version of ‘Electric Intercourse’ and the funkiest ‘DMSR’ I’ve ever heard.



1984-06-07 First Avenue (Birthday Show ‘84)
As you have already suggested. I like this concert as if offers a glimpse into what the follow up to Purple Rain may have sounded like, had Prince chosen not to go with the more avant-garde sound on ATWIAD.


1985-06-07 “27”
Much like his previous birthday show, this is Prince going off script and just playing what took his fancy. None of his own hits. Instead he performs tracks like ‘The Bird’, ‘A Love Bizarre’, ‘Holly Rock’. This is a cool show.


1986-06-07 Prince's Birthday Parade
Yes, another Birthday show, but this isn’t the reason I listen to this one. This one was actually filmed for TV so it makes for a great watch as well as a great listen. It’s a fantastic quality recording from his Parade tour. It was this show where the video to Anotherloverholeinyohead was filmed.


1987-03-21 4 Those Of U On Valium

This is the live rehearsal Prince did for a crowd at First Avenue. It was here that he publicly debuted much of the ‘Sign ‘O’ The Times’ material.


1988-08-18 The Trojan Horse Aftershow (Lovesexy 'Small Club' Aftershow)

A really popular concert. An outstanding aftershow and a must listen for any fan. Includes a funky as hell improvised track ‘People Without’, a beautiful version of ‘Still Would Stand All Time’ and a performance of ‘Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic’ that will blow your freaking mind!



1989-02-01 Sendai '89 (Lovesexy Tour)

If I'm remembering correctly all the Japanese Lovesexy shows sound really good, but Sendai just happened to be the one I bought first and I’ve stuck with it. If you want to listen to the Lovesexy live show you can’t go wrong here.



1994-02-13(am) Paisley Park Studios (One-Off Performance filming The Beautiful Experience)

A bit of an odd one as Prince was filming a TV special during this performance. In the middle of the show ‘The Most Beautiful Girl In The World’ video is debuted rather than played live. My favourite part is near the end where Prince decides to have a jam over a loop of ‘Martial Law’ by George Clinton. It’s exceptionally funky.


1994-06-27 Acknowledge Me

This show has a great mix of songs. It’s a jumbled up selection that spans Come, The Gold Experience, The Undertaker and there’s even ‘Get Wild’ from Exodus.

I like these and have to add Dortmund Lovesexy show. My first Prince concert was Lovesexy in Cincinnati in Sept '88.

"I like to watch."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/29/20 6:44am

partyup77

Electric Factory 1998 has always been a favorite of mine. Would LOVE this in soundboard.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/29/20 7:57am

mediumdry

VaultCurator said:

1987-03-21 4 Those Of U On Valium

This is the live rehearsal Prince did for a crowd at First Avenue. It was here that he publicly debuted much of the ‘Sign ‘O’ The Times’ material.

.

I would have much rather this show have been chosen than the New Years Eve show for the SOTT SDL. Oh well. smile

Paisley Park is in your heart - Love Is Here!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/29/20 8:09am

67minutes

mediumdry said:

VaultCurator said:

1987-03-21 4 Those Of U On Valium

This is the live rehearsal Prince did for a crowd at First Avenue. It was here that he publicly debuted much of the ‘Sign ‘O’ The Times’ material.

.

I would have much rather this show have been chosen than the New Years Eve show for the SOTT SDL. Oh well. smile

nod

"All you do is suck up food and heat"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/29/20 8:09am

67minutes

feeluupp said:

Thieves In The Temple Acoustic version from Earls Court 91

[Edited 6/28/20 16:31pm]

*cough* 92 *cough*

"All you do is suck up food and heat"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/29/20 7:23pm

Farfunknugin

avatar

partyup77 said:

Electric Factory 1998 has always been a favorite of mine. Would LOVE this in soundboard.

2nd this, was just listening to it today. Funky ass show!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > YOUR Favorite Live Recordings?