independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 8th Apr 2020 2:05pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Tour Rehearsals from the Vault?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/09/20 10:59pm

strongoxman1

Tour Rehearsals from the Vault?

Do we know to what extent Prince recorded/kept recordings of his tour rehearsals and jam sessions in the Vault? I've been revisiting the Triple Threat performances lately, and I find myself completely blown away at how The Time just utterly transformed the Vanity 6 setlist and took those songs to the next level, particularly "Make Up," "Wet Dream" and, of course, "Nasty Girl." Sound (and video) quality is unfortunately pretty low on a lot of these videos, and I would love it if better audio from the rehearsal sessions were to one day be released, similar to that haunting extended "Noon Rendezvous" leak. Anyone know if this is a possibility??

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/09/20 11:10pm

PurpleMusic768
9

avatar

He recorded everything. Just a matter if it was recorded over or lost at some point.

Rehearsal releases have already happened if you really think about it. We don't speak of that shitshow. However, more band-oriented rehearsals were planned for 1999SDE but as we know, they were removed, adding more disappointment to that shit heap of a set that everyone is settling for because they don't want to acknowledge the extent that set could've gone...
usually known as "Leaped7689"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/10/20 1:21am

LoveGalore

PurpleMusic7689 said:

He recorded everything. Just a matter if it was recorded over or lost at some point.

Rehearsal releases have already happened if you really think about it. We don't speak of that shitshow. However, more band-oriented rehearsals were planned for 1999SDE but as we know, they were removed, adding more disappointment to that shit heap of a set that everyone is settling for because they don't want to acknowledge the extent that set could've gone...


How do "we" know this? First I'm reading that there was ever rehearsal stuff planned for 1999 SDE.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/10/20 7:39am

udo

avatar

If they'll use rehearsal materials they will never ever release a full rehearsal nor anywhere near a complete release of all rehearsals for a tour.

So please do not hodl your breath.

They are clueless.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/11/20 4:11pm

TrevorAyer

every super deluxe should have a rehearsal, live set and after show included .. sott rehearsals are a must .. lotsa great after shows .. if they had any sense they would put out a 20cd set like pink floyd did and just load it .. or have a download site with every single soundboard available for ten bucks per show

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/11/20 5:28pm

lavendardrumma
chine

The story is he recorded every show, and every practice/jam session.

The Vault isn't big enough for that to be 100% true, unless there's additional storage or were more tapes elsewhere that we don't know about.

They already dropped the ball and didn't include the PR ones we know exist, and they repurposed some of the video footage. What would have been cool was offering it as an additional digtal download with the box sets, or just release them on the youtube channel. I still find it strange that the bulk of what's coming out of the Vault is previously circulated material.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/12/20 9:59am

coldasice

lavendardrummachine said:

The story is he recorded every show, and every practice/jam session.

The Vault isn't big enough for that to be 100% true, unless there's additional storage or were more tapes elsewhere that we don't know about.

They already dropped the ball and didn't include the PR ones we know exist, and they repurposed some of the video footage. What would have been cool was offering it as an additional digtal download with the box sets, or just release them on the youtube channel. I still find it strange that the bulk of what's coming out of the Vault is previously circulated material.


On VHS
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/12/20 11:50am

lavendardrumma
chine

coldasice said:

lavendardrummachine said:

The story is he recorded every show, and every practice/jam session.

The Vault isn't big enough for that to be 100% true, unless there's additional storage or were more tapes elsewhere that we don't know about.

They already dropped the ball and didn't include the PR ones we know exist, and they repurposed some of the video footage. What would have been cool was offering it as an additional digtal download with the box sets, or just release them on the youtube channel. I still find it strange that the bulk of what's coming out of the Vault is previously circulated material.

On VHS


What about VHS? That it's only circulating on VHS? It may have been shot on VHS to begin with.

I don't think anyone's fantasy of the Vault material opening up to fans was "Now I get to upgrade all my VHS copies of material I already own!". Plus better upgrade copies of things like the benefit show were already slipping out before he passed.

[Edited 3/12/20 11:51am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/13/20 1:04am

Sydney

The most recent Sign Of The Times rehearsal leak is proof that Prince rehearsals were absolutely brilliant. This SOTT rehearsal is SO GOOD - Prince fully committed and the band trying to win his favour throughout. Also the sound is incredible. Prince rehearsals are an absolute must as they show the true professional musician and give you an intimate glimpse of how he works and prepares his amazing songs for stage.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/13/20 9:16am

udo

avatar

I say:

Buy the rehearsal bootlegs, download them, whatever you like.

The Estate will not sell you the complete things, not all of the things and not on time.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/19/20 3:06am

PurpleMusic768
9

avatar

LoveGalore said:

PurpleMusic7689 said:

He recorded everything. Just a matter if it was recorded over or lost at some point.

Rehearsal releases have already happened if you really think about it. We don't speak of that shitshow. However, more band-oriented rehearsals were planned for 1999SDE but as we know, they were removed, adding more disappointment to that shit heap of a set that everyone is settling for because they don't want to acknowledge the extent that set could've gone...


How do "we" know this? First I'm reading that there was ever rehearsal stuff planned for 1999 SDE.

Howe said it himself in an interview (Google exists, so don't bother asking for a link).
usually known as "Leaped7689"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/19/20 9:13am

Strive

lavendardrummachine said:

The story is he recorded every show, and every practice/jam session.

The Vault isn't big enough for that to be 100% true, unless there's additional storage or were more tapes elsewhere that we don't know about.


There was more than one vault.

We know this because they sent 10,000 cassette tapes to Iron Mountain and there was exactly 0 cassettes in the police photos of Paisley.

Free the music, fire Michael Howe
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/19/20 12:36pm

PurpleMusic768
9

avatar

Strive said:



lavendardrummachine said:


The story is he recorded every show, and every practice/jam session.

The Vault isn't big enough for that to be 100% true, unless there's additional storage or were more tapes elsewhere that we don't know about.




There was more than one vault.

We know this because they sent 10,000 cassette tapes to Iron Mountain and there was exactly 0 cassettes in the police photos of Paisley.


Not entirely true. I think there were about 25 or so visible plus quite a few DAT tapes scattered. There were a few boxes that were just PACKED with cassettes inside and outside of the actual vault (only one of the boxes is labelled as being cassettes, but there's a few next to it and near it that were full of cassettes as well. Same with VHS. VHS tapes were scattered. The majority of his rehearsal and show VHS tapes were inside and right outside the vault.)
usually known as "Leaped7689"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/19/20 1:51pm

lavendardrumma
chine

Strive said:

There was more than one vault.

We know this because they sent 10,000 cassette tapes to Iron Mountain and there was exactly 0 cassettes in the police photos of Paisley.



Possible, yeah.

I don't think the police photos were that thorough inside the Vault, and we don't know if cassettes were transfered to cd's at some point, or on to a hard drive, or what was on those cassettes (remember he had Paisley Park wired for sound). The moving boxes look like an unfinished project, with new boxes, not like he's been dumping them in since the 90's. But they also don't look like someone preserving important tapes. The older looking tapes look like they're outside the Vault.


But we never heard talk of consolidating the collection, or of Iron Mountain sorting through other storage. Wouldn't shock me if one of Prince's homes had a crap load of stuff that shouldn't have been there.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Tour Rehearsals from the Vault?