independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 25th Feb 2020 6:55am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Lovesexy VS The Black Album - which is the greater album?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 3 <123
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 02/13/20 6:42pm

daingermouz202
0

This is a hard one. I'll have to go with Lovesexy since I can tolerate 2 tracks on The Black Album. I like 3 or 4 on Lovesexy.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 02/13/20 8:29pm

SoulAlive

I think Prince made the right decision by not releasing TBA in late 1987 as planned.Lovesexy is a superior album.I do,however,think he made a few marketing/promotion mistakes with Lovesexy....posing nude on the album cover (which kept many people from buying the album) and choosing one of the weaker tracks,”Glam Slam”,to be the second single.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 02/14/20 8:52am

Nasalhair

TrevorAyer said:

Lovesexy was a throw away quickie album inspired by guilty feelings that surfaced while on drugs ... everyone gets the theme ... its just got a lotta overworked filler and marks a real drop in production values ... prince even noted that he could never get a good “sound” out of paisley park and it shows on this record ... production aside .. the songs just don’t hold up .. i prefer when 2 are in love to stay on the black album .. eye no is great but hardly a new song ... alphabet is a fun tune that suffers from perhaps his thinnest drum sound recorded to date .. scarlet pussy and take this beat are better than the rest of the half over baked album .. black album rivals dirty mind in relentless uncompromising nasty funk work outs ... had it been released it may not have had a hit single but would have continued his streak of untouchable outstanding records ... lovesexy is a low point and marks the end of his golden era with a limp thud

That's exactly how I feel about Lovesexy.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 02/14/20 9:33am

CAL3

LOVESEXY = MASTERPIECE

.

yes

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 02/14/20 12:19pm

SoulAlive

herb4 said:

nothing on TBA is as great as Anna Stesia, arguably an all time top ten or top five track.


nod "Anna Stesia" is easily one of my Top 10 favorite Prince songs....a brilliant track

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 02/15/20 8:31am

SoulAlive

a funny memory: I remember many years ago,we had a thread on Lovesexy and there was some confusion about a line in the title track.Was Prince saying "U want me 2 swim in your love sea" or is it "U want me 2 swivel in your love seat?" lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 02/15/20 8:35am

novabrkr

Lovesexy.

Black album is "cool", like a collection of B-sides to SOTT, but Lovesexy is just something else altogether.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 02/15/20 8:47am

AnnaStesia10

avatar

Lovesexy = Greatness.
Of all his albums, I still can listen to it from start to finish without skipping a track. It touches my soul in a way his other creations cannot. Anna Stesia to Positivity to Lovesexy to Dance On - all of it, I adore. 💜

Having said that, I enjoy the Black Album, but it does not feel full and complete to me. I skip tracks on this one. However,
Le Grind, SupercaliF., Rock Hard., Bob George - are my songs! 😎

*Edited for spelling
[Edited 2/15/20 8:50am]
"A strong spirit transcends rules." - Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 02/15/20 8:53am

SoulAlive

On TBA.my favorites are "Superfunkycalifragisexy" and "Rock Hard In A Funky Place".These songs are wild and outrageous biggrin the other tracks are OK,but a few songs go on too long.Imo,"Bob George" is silly and contrived.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 02/17/20 4:31pm

macaylasdad

Neither. BOTH are extremely overrated.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 02/18/20 8:59am

Philly76

avatar

Lovesexy

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 02/18/20 9:04am

Philly76

avatar

macaylasdad said:

Neither. BOTH are extremely overrated.

Your answer doesn´t match the question.

It´s Lovesexy vs The Black Album not those two against any other album.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 02/18/20 3:01pm

jfenster

macaylasdad said:

Neither. BOTH are extremely overrated.

and why would u be on this site?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 02/18/20 6:58pm

macaylasdad

jfenster said:

macaylasdad said:

Neither. BOTH are extremely overrated.

and why would u be on this site?

well...one reason is, because I can be... I am just exercising my 1st amendment rights. You HAVE heard of that before? Right? I have been a Prince fan for over 35 years. Both albums are ok/good, but that is IMO .

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 02/18/20 7:02pm

macaylasdad

Philly76 said:

macaylasdad said:

Neither. BOTH are extremely overrated.

Your answer doesn´t match the question.

It´s Lovesexy vs The Black Album not those two against any other album.

to me...neither one is greater than the other, the are both blah on the same level.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 02/18/20 7:49pm

ufoclub

avatar

macaylasdad said:

jfenster said:

and why would u be on this site?

well...one reason is, because I can be... I am just exercising my 1st amendment rights. You HAVE heard of that before? Right? I have been a Prince fan for over 35 years. Both albums are ok/good, but that is IMO .

Doesn't the First Amendment refers to restrictions specifically on Congress to silence you? It's about the government and you. lol.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 02/19/20 2:18pm

herb4

avatar

Jesus Christ the quality of content being posted here is circling the drain HARD.

Are we really down to:

"I think both albums are overrated"

"GTFO. You're a non fan for not liking these records. Stop posting"

"Help...HELP! My freedom of speech is being violated on a dying website!"

"Well, actually, if you read the Constitution I believe you'll find..."

...

We can do better than this.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 02/19/20 4:41pm

macaylasdad

herb4 said:

Jesus Christ the quality of content being posted here is circling the drain HARD.

Are we really down to:

"I think both albums are overrated"

"GTFO. You're a non fan for not liking these records. Stop posting"

"Help...HELP! My freedom of speech is being violated on a dying website!"

"Well, actually, if you read the Constitution I believe you'll find..."

...

We can do better than this.



Dude. Get over yourself, go have a beer, go for a work out or get laid. Stat. People like you get all worked up if someone has an opinion that you don’t agree with. I am entitled to have an opinion. Correct? A dying website? Dude I will smoke whatever you are! #foh lol
[Edited 2/19/20 17:40pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 02/19/20 6:01pm

RJOrion

this site is somewhat dying though...which makes total sense since The Kid has passed away...for example, another old ass Madonna thread coming in 5....4....3....2.....
[Edited 2/19/20 18:01pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 02/20/20 2:12pm

herb4

avatar

macaylasdad said:

herb4 said:

Jesus Christ the quality of content being posted here is circling the drain HARD.

Are we really down to:

"I think both albums are overrated"

"GTFO. You're a non fan for not liking these records. Stop posting"

"Help...HELP! My freedom of speech is being violated on a dying website!"

"Well, actually, if you read the Constitution I believe you'll find..."

...

We can do better than this.

Dude. Get over yourself, go have a beer, go for a work out or get laid. Stat. People like you get all worked up if someone has an opinion that you don’t agree with. I am entitled to have an opinion. Correct? A dying website? Dude I will smoke whatever you are! #foh lol [Edited 2/19/20 17:40pm]


^^^Exhibit A^^^


Because I actually fucking defended you in my post if you read it but I better go get over myself instead I guess.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 02/20/20 3:09pm

RJOrion

herb4 says:

Because I actually fucking defended you in my post if you read it

-----

^^^

i noticed that too, which is why the exchange between yall two, is confusing as hell
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 02/20/20 4:50pm

macaylasdad

RJOrion said:

herb4 says:

Because I actually fucking defended you in my post if you read it

-----

^^^

i noticed that too, which is why the exchange between yall two, is confusing as hell

So sorry my brother... I took as sarcasm. My apologies .
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 02/20/20 10:23pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

macaylasdad said:

RJOrion said:
herb4 says: Because I actually fucking defended you in my post if you read it ----------- ^^^ i noticed that too, which is why the exchange between yall two, is confusing as hell
So sorry my brother... I took as sarcasm. My apologies .

...But the guy you just quoted wasn't the one who defended you....

See this is why we shouldn't white knight fellow orgers. Chances are if they're getting textually excoriated it was more than justified, even if not necessarily for the initial reason on the initial page.

[Edited 2/20/20 22:25pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 02/20/20 10:27pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

Anyway Lovesexy arrangements get me claustrophic just thinking about them. It was the beginning of Prince's "over-produce everything" phase.

[Edited 2/20/20 22:27pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 02/21/20 12:53am

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

[b][u] lovesexy
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 02/22/20 9:42pm

kewlschool

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:

Anyway Lovesexy arrangements get me claustrophic just thinking about them. It was the beginning of Prince's "over-produce everything" phase.

[Edited 2/20/20 22:27pm]

Yet, it "over producing" was done right on this album. Where as other albums not so much.

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 02/23/20 3:17pm

herb4

avatar

kewlschool said:

WhisperingDandelions said:

Anyway Lovesexy arrangements get me claustrophic just thinking about them. It was the beginning of Prince's "over-produce everything" phase.

[Edited 2/20/20 22:27pm]

Yet, it "over producing" was done right on this album. Where as other albums not so much.

This is a good point.

The "over production" on Lovesexy is sort of its strong suit (and its downfall for some). I'm lukewarm on the album more than most and sort of need to be in the mood for it but I spent a good while peeling that onion and finding myself amazed with its layers.

I'd give up on it and decide it wasn't for me but then go back and find new things to like about it that didn't catch my ear before and find myself getting certain stuff stuck in my head, like the bridge in Glam Slam, the tricky punctuation of Dance On or the gradual build up in Positivity . It really IS a headphone album - more so than most in Prince's catalog - and production wise really does show how brilliant this man was.

I can take it or leave it for the most part but it's really a genuine look inside my man's head and the sophisticated talent on display is hard to argue with.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 02/24/20 12:04am

v10letblues

avatar

Lovesexy has not aged well. And earlier versions of many of the tracks are much much better than the lame ones that made it on the album.

I find the album kinda annoying actually. With the exception of great Alphabet Street, I Wish U Heaven and When 2 are upn Love,it foretold his great decline in the 90's with the terrible production choices on the rest of the album.

The Black album is a classic that keeps getting better with age.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 02/24/20 12:44am

imago

avatar

The black album isn't an album. It's a collection of tracks compiled together, really.
Susan Rogers in several interviews stated the songs weren't meant to be placed on an album. They were written for going out and for parties.


I like the black album, sometimes more than LoveSexy, because some of the songs are just more fun. But, LoveSexy has more weight to it. Both pale in the long shaddow cast by SOTT though.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 3 <123
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Lovesexy VS The Black Album - which is the greater album?