independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 13th Oct 2019 1:09pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Classic, 1999, Reissues In Remastered 5 CD/DVD, 10 LP/DVD Boxes - Release: November 29 - Part 2
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 10/06/19 8:05am

LoveGalore

TheSilentMikey said:



LoveGalore said:


TheSilentMikey said:


"Kiss Me Quick" was recorded in '79. However "Jealous Girl" and all the "Hooker" tracks could've been there if this Deluxe set was more thought.



Not really. Those songs (the demos like Jealous Girl, Make-up, Pizza, etc) were recorded during the Controversy sessions. The versions done for the V6 album were from early 1982. Remember, Controversy was completed in August and released in October. Those Hookers demos were recorded in the summer. That isn't part of the 1999 sessions as every 1999 song was recorded after Controversy was released.

Those tracks were indeed recorded during summer '81. But this project really evolved into "Vanity 6". He re-used three of the tracks that was initially intended for the Hookers (Drive Me Wild - Make-Up - Wet Dream) for the V6 album. And the songs stayed the same. The only work done to those songs were the girls' vocals and some slight effects. But the V6 project is mostly based on the Hookers project.


It is true that every "1999" song was recorded after "Controversy" was released. But he recorded some stuff back in summer '81 that appeared on "V6" (as noted above) and "What Time Is It?" ("The Walk" was recorded in July '81 and had some overdubs made in January '82).


[Edited 10/6/19 7:55am]

[Edited 10/6/19 7:57am]



Following that logic, they should've saved We Can Fuck, Can't Stop, Bold Generation, and possibly Rearrange for Graffiti Bridge. I think they have made the right choice to release things chronologically, not purely thematically.

Frankly, I'm not super sold on the idea that 1999 should've contained the protege records and I think that stuff deserves it's own projects. A box set of The Time's albums, their demoes, and a live show from the Triple Threat tour makes more sense to me than robbing the Controversy sessions of tracks legitimately recorded during them to place them on a different set.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 10/06/19 8:36am

TheSilentMikey

LoveGalore said:

TheSilentMikey said:

Those tracks were indeed recorded during summer '81. But this project really evolved into "Vanity 6". He re-used three of the tracks that was initially intended for the Hookers (Drive Me Wild - Make-Up - Wet Dream) for the V6 album. And the songs stayed the same. The only work done to those songs were the girls' vocals and some slight effects. But the V6 project is mostly based on the Hookers project.

It is true that every "1999" song was recorded after "Controversy" was released. But he recorded some stuff back in summer '81 that appeared on "V6" (as noted above) and "What Time Is It?" ("The Walk" was recorded in July '81 and had some overdubs made in January '82).

[Edited 10/6/19 7:55am]

[Edited 10/6/19 7:57am]

Following that logic, they should've saved We Can Fuck, Can't Stop, Bold Generation, and possibly Rearrange for Graffiti Bridge. I think they have made the right choice to release things chronologically, not purely thematically. Frankly, I'm not super sold on the idea that 1999 should've contained the protege records and I think that stuff deserves it's own projects. A box set of The Time's albums, their demoes, and a live show from the Triple Threat tour makes more sense to me than robbing the Controversy sessions of tracks legitimately recorded during them to place them on a different set.

With that logic yes, but "Graffiti Bridge" is more like a "greatest hits/best of" album as it was consisted of tracks recorded in mutliple different periods for mutliple different albums. So I can understand them not including older material like "Tick, Tick, Bang" or "The Question of U" and more focusing on the "Graffiti Bridge '87" songs, the "Corporate World" songs and the "Larrabee Sound" outtakes for the "New Power Generation" maxi-single.

I can see your point of view. But in this case, this set should've contained the three albums (and could've also been labelled as the "Triple Threat" package) because they're heavily linked to each other. Even P saw it that way (in "D.M.S.R."), so it's not really robbing. And you have to keep in mind that P was recording all the time for every type of project. So it's certain he didn't thought of a period with his songs or something like "Oh, this belongs in the Controversy period". Periods didn't really matter for him I'd say.

"Don't need no Reefer. Don't need Cocaine. Purple Music does the same to my brain."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 10/06/19 12:01pm

LoveGalore

TheSilentMikey said:



LoveGalore said:


TheSilentMikey said:


Those tracks were indeed recorded during summer '81. But this project really evolved into "Vanity 6". He re-used three of the tracks that was initially intended for the Hookers (Drive Me Wild - Make-Up - Wet Dream) for the V6 album. And the songs stayed the same. The only work done to those songs were the girls' vocals and some slight effects. But the V6 project is mostly based on the Hookers project.


It is true that every "1999" song was recorded after "Controversy" was released. But he recorded some stuff back in summer '81 that appeared on "V6" (as noted above) and "What Time Is It?" ("The Walk" was recorded in July '81 and had some overdubs made in January '82).


[Edited 10/6/19 7:55am]


[Edited 10/6/19 7:57am]



Following that logic, they should've saved We Can Fuck, Can't Stop, Bold Generation, and possibly Rearrange for Graffiti Bridge. I think they have made the right choice to release things chronologically, not purely thematically. Frankly, I'm not super sold on the idea that 1999 should've contained the protege records and I think that stuff deserves it's own projects. A box set of The Time's albums, their demoes, and a live show from the Triple Threat tour makes more sense to me than robbing the Controversy sessions of tracks legitimately recorded during them to place them on a different set.

With that logic yes, but "Graffiti Bridge" is more like a "greatest hits/best of" album as it was consisted of tracks recorded in mutliple different periods for mutliple different albums. So I can understand them not including older material like "Tick, Tick, Bang" or "The Question of U" and more focusing on the "Graffiti Bridge '87" songs, the "Corporate World" songs and the "Larrabee Sound" outtakes for the "New Power Generation" maxi-single.


I can see your point of view. But in this case, this set should've contained the three albums (and could've also been labelled as the "Triple Threat" package) because they're heavily linked to each other. Even P saw it that way (in "D.M.S.R."), so it's not really robbing. And you have to keep in mind that P was recording all the time for every type of project. So it's certain he didn't thought of a period with his songs or something like "Oh, this belongs in the Controversy period". Periods didn't really matter for him I'd say.



Honestly, I'm not huge on speculating what P thought. He often said a lot of things that neither made sense nor remained consistent. For that matter, I don't really think that Prince had a lot of interest in the concept of deluxe editions anyway because it is pretty obvious he didn't contribute anything but Electric Intercourse to the PR set.

Imagining whether he would lump all that stuff together or not is a fool's game in the end.

What's clear is that the aim of 1999 deluxe is to paint a picture, a snapshot in time of his recording process during the period where he was recording for 1999. Putting random tracks from other periods because they're loosely connected (Prince probably stopped considering those demos relevant to V6 once he started working with Vanity, if you wanna be real) makes for an endlessly jumbled and random set.

Fact is, though Prince always was recording, as the 83-84 book shows us, he definitely had specific projects in mind during specific time periods. With the exception of albums like Around the World in a Day or Graffiti Bridge or scant few others, he was compiling tracklists for albums during these periods indicating he definitely pursued a singular project with certain songs in mind. All the extra shit either found their way somewhere or not.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 10/07/19 1:16am

mushmackalenta

I think this is probably my most eagerly awaited release ever by any artist.


I've been waiting 20 plus years to hear this stuff.

The next 2 months better fly by because I just can't wait to get my hands on this.
[Edited 10/7/19 1:18am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 10/07/19 5:02am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

I'm listening to https://www.mprnews.org/e...99-reissue and The Current's Andrea Swensson seems to confirm that the "outtake" version of "How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore?" is a different (longer) take, with no reverb, from the released one. No additional lyrics, but you apparently hear him occasionally talking to himself, there's the odd sniffle, and you sometimes can hear his foot tapping. Apparently Prince did two takes (while being tipsy on Asti Spumanti), and this is the alternate one. Most likely this is the one Peggy McCreary talked about some months ago. (They start talking about this at around 2:30.)

.

Sweet jebus, Swensson says some astonishingly stupid things about "ownership of masters" (around minute 5). Does this woman not know that it is about RIGHTS, not about physical tapes?

.

The stupid continues: while talking about the just released live version of "1999" from November 1982, Swensson says that the crowd probably didn't know the song at that time because it hadn't been released as a single. THE ALBUM HAD BEEN OUT FOR ONE MONTH AT THAT TIME.

.

Sheesh, how bad are her liner notes going to be.

.

(Note that the title of that page -- "The story behind the upcoming reissue of Prince’s landmark ‘1999’ album" -- is absolute nonsense. Ridiculous clickbait.)

.

"International Lover": first take, intended for The Time. Recorded with Morris Day. Take is them kinda working out the song, cracking jokes throughout.

.

[Edited 10/7/19 5:27am]

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 10/07/19 6:11am

udo

avatar

Cool, thanks.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 10/07/19 8:04am

cb70

bluegangsta said:



More great news and information about the book coming soon, I was digging out some old tapes this weekend and came across something I’ve not seen for 35 years + , effectively the bare bones of the song recorded early 80s

https://www.facebook.com/...mp;theater

So this is the tape/version that Michael howe specifically mentioned last month that he was actively looking for to include on the 1999 Deluxe. Who is this Facebook person and what are the chances he actually has this when the Estate/Vault does not? If that's the real 1982 version it needs to be transfered and preserved as soon as posible.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 10/07/19 8:18am

sulls

avatar

cb70 said:

bluegangsta said:



More great news and information about the book coming soon, I was digging out some old tapes this weekend and came across something I’ve not seen for 35 years + , effectively the bare bones of the song recorded early 80s

https://www.facebook.com/...mp;theater

So this is the tape/version that Michael howe specifically mentioned last month that he was actively looking for to include on the 1999 Deluxe. Who is this Facebook person and what are the chances he actually has this when the Estate/Vault does not? If that's the real 1982 version it needs to be transfered and preserved as soon as posible.

If this is real - wow. Wow. Wow...

"I like to watch."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 10/07/19 8:48am

TheSilentMikey

sulls said:

cb70 said:

So this is the tape/version that Michael howe specifically mentioned last month that he was actively looking for to include on the 1999 Deluxe. Who is this Facebook person and what are the chances he actually has this when the Estate/Vault does not? If that's the real 1982 version it needs to be transfered and preserved as soon as posible.

If this is real - wow. Wow. Wow...

Too bad, it's not real.

"Don't need no Reefer. Don't need Cocaine. Purple Music does the same to my brain."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 10/07/19 10:25am

Romeoblu

TheSilentMikey said:

sulls said:

If this is real - wow. Wow. Wow...

Too bad, it's not real.

That doesn't look hand written. It's been added on to the tape by some computer programme.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 10/07/19 10:30am

ladygirl99

LoveGalore said:

He musta been high when he wrote that one.

Not really. Prince said numerous times he had a girl inside him (could he been intersexed as well? since Camille name was based on a French intersexed individual) and plus he made Camille album (to explore his female alterego) and If I was your girlfriend (he wrote it from a woman viewpoint and telling this chick that he believed she would allow him closer to her orbit if he was a woman too as Prince seemed jealous of how girls can go shopping together and movies and as a man he felt some girls didn't include him because its girls only and I would bet Prince would be to them, 'hey I got inner girl does that count' LOL) and checkout the song Movie Star indicated his feelings about sexuality and gender. And also Prince wore perfume, makeup, and also women hair assessories. That is why he comfortably wrote Vagina. That was why Cat Glover was on the cover of SOTT 7 inch cover because she was his female alterego and she just playing her part.

I believed Prince is definately 'one of us' and it is going to come out as years go by since mainstream always the last one to know hehe. The characters that Denise Matthews and Morris Day played are merely his gender fluid alter egos with actors played those roles on his behalf.

I think the estate is testing the waters with this lyrics especially if they want to keep Prince revelant to the Gen Z and beyond who are more tolerant toward noncomforing with sexuality and gender. They can't just sell Prince as the man who play live instruments since the young generation disconnection to them, they had to sell him more with his early loose views on sexuality and gender. And also the estate can't continue to depend on his aging fans to support him they need growth.

Prince trying to tell yall to listen to his music if you want to get to know more about him but people focus too much on the showman and those funky beats not the deeper meaning and plus Prince isn't that mysterious that people make it out to be. He was product of cisheternormative society which benefits his enigma. lol

If Prince became a superstar today he would been genderfluid or nonbinary using they/them. He was indeed ahead of his time.

These things had been common knowledge even before I was even born and I don't understand why are people acting brand new about Vagina lyrics.

[Edited 10/7/19 10:58am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 10/07/19 10:41am

ladygirl99

VaultCurator said:

It's interesting how 'Vagina' is the name of a person in this song. Especially considering it's the name he originally intended for Vanity? Does anyone know if Denise Matthews was bisexual? God bless her.

I believed the character Vagina/Vanity is one of many Prince's alteregos just like Morris Day was his pimp alterego to sell to black audiences while Prince was working on his crossover appeal and didn't want to be know as funk artist.

I think Denise Matthews just there to play her role like almost everyone else came to Prince's orbit many associates comfirmed this LOL. From Jill Jones stated Prince wanted her to be Marilyn Monroe and Lady Cab Driver to Lisa Coleman said Prince made fun of her for wearing jeans and t-shirt and she wore those 'the Revolution outfits' because Prince told her and Matt Fink too with his doctor role because Prince wanted him that role.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 10/07/19 1:03pm

LoveGalore

ladygirl99 said:

LoveGalore said:

He musta been high when he wrote that one.

Not really. Prince said numerous times he had a girl inside him (could he been intersexed as well? since Camille name was based on a French intersexed individual) and plus he made Camille album (to explore his female alterego) and If I was your girlfriend (he wrote it from a woman viewpoint and telling this chick that he believed she would allow him closer to her orbit if he was a woman too as Prince seemed jealous of how girls can go shopping together and movies and as a man he felt some girls didn't include him because its girls only and I would bet Prince would be to them, 'hey I got inner girl does that count' LOL) and checkout the song Movie Star indicated his feelings about sexuality and gender. And also Prince wore perfume, makeup, and also women hair assessories. That is why he comfortably wrote Vagina. That was why Cat Glover was on the cover of SOTT 7 inch cover because she was his female alterego and she just playing her part.

I believed Prince is definately 'one of us' and it is going to come out as years go by since mainstream always the last one to know hehe. The characters that Denise Matthews and Morris Day played are merely his gender fluid alter egos with actors played those roles on his behalf.

I think the estate is testing the waters with this lyrics especially if they want to keep Prince revelant to the Gen Z and beyond who are more tolerant toward noncomforing with sexuality and gender. They can't just sell Prince as the man who play live instruments since the young generation disconnection to them, they had to sell him more with his early loose views on sexuality and gender. And also the estate can't continue to depend on his aging fans to support him they need growth.

Prince trying to tell yall to listen to his music if you want to get to know more about him but people focus too much on the showman and those funky beats not the deeper meaning and plus Prince isn't that mysterious that people make it out to be. He was product of cisheternormative society which benefits his enigma. lol

If Prince became a superstar today he would been genderfluid or nonbinary using they/them. He was indeed ahead of his time.

These things had been common knowledge even before I was even born and I don't understand why are people acting brand new about Vagina lyrics.

[Edited 10/7/19 10:58am]

YOU must be high if you think you can just assign someone's gender identity to them.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 10/07/19 2:36pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

Romeoblu said:

TheSilentMikey said:

Too bad, it's not real.

That doesn't look hand written. It's been added on to the tape by some computer programme.

Was about to post this. The "handwriting" is clearly not part of the original image.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 10/07/19 5:16pm

mbdtyler

ladygirl99 said:

LoveGalore said:

He musta been high when he wrote that one.

Not really. Prince said numerous times he had a girl inside him (could he been intersexed as well? since Camille name was based on a French intersexed individual) and plus he made Camille album (to explore his female alterego) and If I was your girlfriend (he wrote it from a woman viewpoint and telling this chick that he believed she would allow him closer to her orbit if he was a woman too as Prince seemed jealous of how girls can go shopping together and movies and as a man he felt some girls didn't include him because its girls only and I would bet Prince would be to them, 'hey I got inner girl does that count' LOL) and checkout the song Movie Star indicated his feelings about sexuality and gender. And also Prince wore perfume, makeup, and also women hair assessories. That is why he comfortably wrote Vagina. That was why Cat Glover was on the cover of SOTT 7 inch cover because she was his female alterego and she just playing her part.

I believed Prince is definately 'one of us' and it is going to come out as years go by since mainstream always the last one to know hehe. The characters that Denise Matthews and Morris Day played are merely his gender fluid alter egos with actors played those roles on his behalf.

I think the estate is testing the waters with this lyrics especially if they want to keep Prince revelant to the Gen Z and beyond who are more tolerant toward noncomforing with sexuality and gender. They can't just sell Prince as the man who play live instruments since the young generation disconnection to them, they had to sell him more with his early loose views on sexuality and gender. And also the estate can't continue to depend on his aging fans to support him they need growth.

Prince trying to tell yall to listen to his music if you want to get to know more about him but people focus too much on the showman and those funky beats not the deeper meaning and plus Prince isn't that mysterious that people make it out to be. He was product of cisheternormative society which benefits his enigma. lol

If Prince became a superstar today he would been genderfluid or nonbinary using they/them. He was indeed ahead of his time.

These things had been common knowledge even before I was even born and I don't understand why are people acting brand new about Vagina lyrics.

[Edited 10/7/19 10:58am]

Prince certainly wasn't the most progressive dude, but I do appreciate his self-expression and unwillingness to conform to any kind of hyper-masculine image. He was one of those superstars that embraced his femininity without caring what anyone thought, and he made the world a slightly better place in the process.

Some people seem utterly repulsed by anything outside the realm of heterosexuality. It's a big, diverse world out there... open your hearts, open your minds wink

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 10/08/19 8:07am

leecaldon

Romeoblu said:

TheSilentMikey said:

Too bad, it's not real.

That doesn't look hand written. It's been added on to the tape by some computer programme.

Agreed.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 10/08/19 10:18am

ladygirl99

LoveGalore said:

ladygirl99 said:

Not really. Prince said numerous times he had a girl inside him (could he been intersexed as well? since Camille name was based on a French intersexed individual) and plus he made Camille album (to explore his female alterego) and If I was your girlfriend (he wrote it from a woman viewpoint and telling this chick that he believed she would allow him closer to her orbit if he was a woman too as Prince seemed jealous of how girls can go shopping together and movies and as a man he felt some girls didn't include him because its girls only and I would bet Prince would be to them, 'hey I got inner girl does that count' LOL) and checkout the song Movie Star indicated his feelings about sexuality and gender. And also Prince wore perfume, makeup, and also women hair assessories. That is why he comfortably wrote Vagina. That was why Cat Glover was on the cover of SOTT 7 inch cover because she was his female alterego and she just playing her part.

I believed Prince is definately 'one of us' and it is going to come out as years go by since mainstream always the last one to know hehe. The characters that Denise Matthews and Morris Day played are merely his gender fluid alter egos with actors played those roles on his behalf.

I think the estate is testing the waters with this lyrics especially if they want to keep Prince revelant to the Gen Z and beyond who are more tolerant toward noncomforing with sexuality and gender. They can't just sell Prince as the man who play live instruments since the young generation disconnection to them, they had to sell him more with his early loose views on sexuality and gender. And also the estate can't continue to depend on his aging fans to support him they need growth.

Prince trying to tell yall to listen to his music if you want to get to know more about him but people focus too much on the showman and those funky beats not the deeper meaning and plus Prince isn't that mysterious that people make it out to be. He was product of cisheternormative society which benefits his enigma. lol

If Prince became a superstar today he would been genderfluid or nonbinary using they/them. He was indeed ahead of his time.

These things had been common knowledge even before I was even born and I don't understand why are people acting brand new about Vagina lyrics.

[Edited 10/7/19 10:58am]

YOU must be high if you think you can just assign someone's gender identity to them.

It is not about assigning gender its him expressing without having the proper definition at that time, Prince stated before he had a girl inside him and even on that Oprah interview he stated he had another person inside him with sex not specific as he used female alteregos and an unisex one too (Jamie Starr) and also he hinted with I Would Die 4 U. I am not a man or a woman and if he was a star today, the they/them or nonbinary community would definately claimed him more. Per his lyrics, his interviews and his gender crossing fashion.

If you listen to Prince for the melody that is fine but apparently it is your fault if you are shock by the lyrics such as Vagina as Prince was obivously comfortable writing for nonbinary people whether refer to himself or using third person or even second person.

That is why queers and genderfluiders became his early fans and remained fans to this day because he was unapologic with gender expression and he communicate in riddles and dog whistle to the point 'we were the ones who got him' while mainstream and conformists thought he was some silly weirdo with a guitar and wore heavy makeup.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 10/08/19 10:24am

ladygirl99

mbdtyler said:

ladygirl99 said:

Not really. Prince said numerous times he had a girl inside him (could he been intersexed as well? since Camille name was based on a French intersexed individual) and plus he made Camille album (to explore his female alterego) and If I was your girlfriend (he wrote it from a woman viewpoint and telling this chick that he believed she would allow him closer to her orbit if he was a woman too as Prince seemed jealous of how girls can go shopping together and movies and as a man he felt some girls didn't include him because its girls only and I would bet Prince would be to them, 'hey I got inner girl does that count' LOL) and checkout the song Movie Star indicated his feelings about sexuality and gender. And also Prince wore perfume, makeup, and also women hair assessories. That is why he comfortably wrote Vagina. That was why Cat Glover was on the cover of SOTT 7 inch cover because she was his female alterego and she just playing her part.

I believed Prince is definately 'one of us' and it is going to come out as years go by since mainstream always the last one to know hehe. The characters that Denise Matthews and Morris Day played are merely his gender fluid alter egos with actors played those roles on his behalf.

I think the estate is testing the waters with this lyrics especially if they want to keep Prince revelant to the Gen Z and beyond who are more tolerant toward noncomforing with sexuality and gender. They can't just sell Prince as the man who play live instruments since the young generation disconnection to them, they had to sell him more with his early loose views on sexuality and gender. And also the estate can't continue to depend on his aging fans to support him they need growth.

Prince trying to tell yall to listen to his music if you want to get to know more about him but people focus too much on the showman and those funky beats not the deeper meaning and plus Prince isn't that mysterious that people make it out to be. He was product of cisheternormative society which benefits his enigma. lol

If Prince became a superstar today he would been genderfluid or nonbinary using they/them. He was indeed ahead of his time.

These things had been common knowledge even before I was even born and I don't understand why are people acting brand new about Vagina lyrics.

[Edited 10/7/19 10:58am]

Prince certainly wasn't the most progressive dude, but I do appreciate his self-expression and unwillingness to conform to any kind of hyper-masculine image. He was one of those superstars that embraced his femininity without caring what anyone thought, and he made the world a slightly better place in the process.

Some people seem utterly repulsed by anything outside the realm of heterosexuality. It's a big, diverse world out there... open your hearts, open your minds wink

Yeah I agree but he became more conservative with his views in the mid 90s or so. I like Prince pushed the envelope with his gender. I wished he talked about that more when he was alive but like everything else he wanted to keep much of his personal life a mystery.

That is why it is very important for people who are stunned by his lyrics to reread his interviews (like I bad been and it cause me to view him differently in a good way of course lol), read his lyrics online, and read biography books with interviews of people who knew him the best and they would learned some new interesting things like I had been doing in my spare time I approached those things in new eyes. Prince had been revealing stuff about himself in riddles through his interviews and lyrics and I think we tend to overlook because we focus on his showman.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 10/08/19 10:41am

Shockadelica9

This will be all what I say regarding this subject but many prince fans do a lot of projecting their personal identity on to him. Also stop reading into his lyrics so hard because sometimes lyrics can be about a real situation or a made up one, prince did this many times. Is the song “sister” , “Head” or the ballad of Dorthy Parker real?? Nope!! That’s why prince was a great lyricists
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 10/08/19 12:01pm

AvocadosMax

Shockadelica9 said:

This will be all what I say regarding this subject but many prince fans do a lot of projecting their personal identity on to him. Also stop reading into his lyrics so hard because sometimes lyrics can be about a real situation or a made up one, prince did this many times. Is the song “sister” , “Head” or the ballad of Dorthy Parker real?? Nope!! That’s why prince was a great lyricists

Finally someone with common sense
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 10/08/19 12:52pm

SoulAlive

Shockadelica9 said:

This will be all what I say regarding this subject but many prince fans do a lot of projecting their personal identity on to him. Also stop reading into his lyrics so hard because sometimes lyrics can be about a real situation or a made up one, prince did this many times. Is the song “sister” , “Head” or the ballad of Dorthy Parker real?? Nope!! That’s why prince was a great lyricists

I totally agree.It's absurd to assume that all of his songs are about him and his own experiences.Alot of those lyrics are obviously fiction.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 10/08/19 1:13pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Shockadelica9 said:

This will be all what I say regarding this subject but many prince fans do a lot of projecting their personal identity on to him. Also stop reading into his lyrics so hard because sometimes lyrics can be about a real situation or a made up one, prince did this many times. Is the song “sister” , “Head” or the ballad of Dorthy Parker real?? Nope!! That’s why prince was a great lyricists

yeahthat

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 10/08/19 1:45pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Shockadelica9 said:

This will be all what I say regarding this subject but many prince fans do a lot of projecting their personal identity on to him. Also stop reading into his lyrics so hard because sometimes lyrics can be about a real situation or a made up one, prince did this many times. Is the song “sister” , “Head” or the ballad of Dorthy Parker real?? Nope!! That’s why prince was a great lyricists

I totally agree.It's absurd to assume that all of his songs are about him and his own experiences.Alot of those lyrics are obviously fiction.

Ehhh, but much like the "truth in jest" adage often applied to comedians, it's equally absurd and undoubtably myopic to believe his lyrics do not relate to or were not inspired by any real life experiences in the life of Prince Rogers Nelson whatsoever...

And I type this as someone who doesn't care about lyrics or all this "Vanity inspired this," "Susannah inspired that." Reality is likely somewhere in the middle, but where in the middle is pointless to debate. But every artist draws some aspect of their art from their life, even if they vehemently deny it when questioned directly.

[Edited 10/8/19 13:46pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 10/08/19 4:36pm

JoeTyler

This is absolutely fantastic! I'll pay anything to get this, 80-100 bucks, whataver, worth it!

The dream of expanded deluxe and remaster editions of Prince's music is finally happening. Shame it didn't happen sooner.

tinkerbell
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 10/09/19 4:11am

olb99

avatar

bluegangsta said:

71917015_2714929375230211_8064648143100182528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQkxB6PcR8V9jxrK0CNbnhVpZXPd1Hm5mg0f4r-a0Y-KPVe5zr7OdIKB0tjXFStaOU8&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel5-1.fna&oh=a0aad5e41324c0f6ef7764dad3f79142&oe=5E30ABBA

More great news and information about the book coming soon, I was digging out some old tapes this weekend and came across something I’ve not seen for 35 years + , effectively the bare bones of the song recorded early 80s

https://www.facebook.com/...mp;theater

.

Maybe it's just me, but the "Raspberry Beret - demo" text doesn't match the rest of the (pixelated) picture. The color is off, also. A bad Photoshop job?

.

Edit: obviously, it's not just me. Sorry, didn't read all the comments before posting.

.

Edit 2: all the "e" and "r" are exactly the same, if we needed another confirmation that it's completely fake.

.

Edit 3: what does it say about the persons behind that "Audio Experience" book? That project looks fishier by the day.

[Edited 10/9/19 4:25am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 10/09/19 8:44am

Romeoblu

olb99 said:

bluegangsta said:

71917015_2714929375230211_8064648143100182528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQkxB6PcR8V9jxrK0CNbnhVpZXPd1Hm5mg0f4r-a0Y-KPVe5zr7OdIKB0tjXFStaOU8&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel5-1.fna&oh=a0aad5e41324c0f6ef7764dad3f79142&oe=5E30ABBA

More great news and information about the book coming soon, I was digging out some old tapes this weekend and came across something I’ve not seen for 35 years + , effectively the bare bones of the song recorded early 80s

https://www.facebook.com/...mp;theater

.

Maybe it's just me, but the "Raspberry Beret - demo" text doesn't match the rest of the (pixelated) picture. The color is off, also. A bad Photoshop job?

.

Edit: obviously, it's not just me. Sorry, didn't read all the comments before posting.

.

Edit 2: all the "e" and "r" are exactly the same, if we needed another confirmation that it's completely fake.

.

Edit 3: what does it say about the persons behind that "Audio Experience" book? That project looks fishier by the day.

[Edited 10/9/19 4:25am]

My Thoughts exactly concerning the book.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 10/09/19 12:22pm

mushmackalenta

The 1999 live track is no longer available to stream via Amazon music.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 10/09/19 7:01pm

thedoorkeeper

Vagina.
There I said it. lol
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 10/09/19 9:20pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

That cassette is fake as hell.

NO ONE, not even Prince (who didn't print that way, at all), could replicate every single letter the exact same. Even less of a chance with interrupting variables like smaller print, on a cassette, etc.

That particular series of cassettes from TDK date to 1976 or 1977. If "Raspberry Beret" was written and first recorded in early 1982, it's incredibly unlikely that Prince would have old cassette's laying around to put this on. And since this is allegedly a fan-shared cassette, it's even more unlikely that either would have a six year old new tape sitting around to dub from.

The photo itself looks like a photo of a computer screen or something else that is causing those prism type distortions in the photo.

The bolder ink on top of an older cassette, and the perfect replication of the letters is a dead giveaway that this is as valid as Trump being a member of Mensa. (read: ZILCH)

[Edited 10/9/19 21:33pm]

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 10/09/19 11:49pm

Romeoblu

50 days left to wait.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Classic, 1999, Reissues In Remastered 5 CD/DVD, 10 LP/DVD Boxes - Release: November 29 - Part 2