independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 20th Jul 2019 7:43am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 'Moonbeam Levels' and the albums it was considered for... (Susan Rogers)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 07/09/19 4:38pm

lurker316

avatar

VaultCurator said:

I imagine that it wouldn't have changed any further in 1989. I may be wrong, but Susan did state in her interview that Prince rarely went back to remix a song with a few notable exceptions. And he'd already done additional work to it in 1983 so I imagine it was left as intended.

Furthermore, had he of made updates they probably would have surfaced on the '4ever' album as I'm sure Warner would have wanted to release the most complete version of the song. Having said that, they did release the earliest known version of 'We can funk' on Purple Rain Deluxe, so they're not opposed to releasing older versions of songs if there is fan interest, so maybe?

I don't think that's the oldest version of We Can Funk on PRD. I have a version that sounds significantly older. Almost like a different recording altogther.



 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 07/09/19 9:22pm

TheSilentMikey

lurker316 said:

VaultCurator said:

I don't think that's the oldest version of We Can Funk on PRD. I have a version that sounds significantly older. Almost like a different recording altogther.



How long is it?

"Don't need no Reefer. Don't need Cocaine. Purple Music does the same to my brain."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 07/10/19 12:22am

JorisE73

lurker316 said:

VaultCurator said:

I don't think that's the oldest version of We Can Funk on PRD. I have a version that sounds significantly older. Almost like a different recording altogther.




Really?
I think We Can Fuck is the oldest version before it became We Can Funk.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 07/10/19 12:24am

JorisE73

VaultCurator said:

JorisE73 said:

Even tho it was released on 4Ever I still think it should be on a 1999 Deluxe.
Teh version on 4Ever fades out to soon and misses the end piano piece so they can put that full unreleased version on a 1999 Deluxe.

.
Hi Joris.

.

OK, so I have the song 'Moonbeam Levels' on the original 'The Work' box set, the updated 'Work It 2.0' set and lastly on BFTP 4.

.

I've just compared these three versions to the official release and the very most I could make out was about 3 notes. Maybe 2 seconds of additional fade at the most. I’m assuming you’re not referring to that, so is there a longer version I am unaware of? May I ask how you came by the song? Note, I’m not asking for a link or anything. Just some indication of what it was released on so I can check it out for myself. Thanks. wink


I downloaded it years ago from someone on the Royal Hub, I don;t know if it ever was released on a bootleg.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 07/10/19 1:40am

TheSilentMikey

VaultCurator said:

JorisE73 said:

Even tho it was released on 4Ever I still think it should be on a 1999 Deluxe.
Teh version on 4Ever fades out to soon and misses the end piano piece so they can put that full unreleased version on a 1999 Deluxe.

.
Hi Joris.

.

OK, so I have the song 'Moonbeam Levels' on the original 'The Work' box set, the updated 'Work It 2.0' set and lastly on BFTP 4.

.

I've just compared these three versions to the official release and the very most I could make out was about 3 notes. Maybe 2 seconds of additional fade at the most. I’m assuming you’re not referring to that, so is there a longer version I am unaware of? May I ask how you came by the song? Note, I’m not asking for a link or anything. Just some indication of what it was released on so I can check it out for myself. Thanks. wink

You can find this version on the bootleg “A Better Place 2 Die”.

"Don't need no Reefer. Don't need Cocaine. Purple Music does the same to my brain."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 07/10/19 2:15am

VaultCurator

avatar

lurker316 said:

VaultCurator said:

I don't think that's the oldest version of We Can Funk on PRD. I have a version that sounds significantly older. Almost like a different recording altogther.



Hi Lurker,

It sounds like you're referring to one of the version recorded at Washington Avenue Warehouse from 1986. Does Prince count in "Two... Three..." before the track starts?

A brief history of 'We Can Funk'...

We Can Funk #1 (AKA. 'We Can Fuck') (1983-1984):
So the earliest known version is 'We Can Fuck' which was recorded and mixed on 31 December 1983 & 1 January 1984 at Sunset Sound. It's basically the same recording that later surfaced on Graffiti Bridge after additional mixing. This is the version on PRD.

We Can Funk #2, #3 & #4 (1986):
In June 1986 Prince recorded 3 tracks played live in quick succession (I believe with The Revolution? I may be wrong). The three songs were 'Girl of my Dreams', 'Can't Stop This Feeling I Got', 'We Can Funk'. Since they recorded this sequence twice this accounts for We Can Funk #2 and #3

Prince would later take the music from one of these versions and record a clearer vocal line at Paisley Park. This is known as We Can Funk #4

We Can Funk #5 onwards... (1989? / 1990?):
When Prince came to work on Graffiti Bridge he took the original 'We Can Fuck' recording, changed the lyric and did some reworking to the track. The first couple of versions featured Prince on his own, and a few later versions featured George Clinton to various degrees. On some versions George sung during the second verse and some versions just contained his ab libs between verses. These mixes vary in length and include many different endings, probably because Prince was experimenting on how to segue the track into Joy In Repetition.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 07/10/19 3:29am

VaultCurator

avatar

JorisE73 said:

VaultCurator said:

.
Hi Joris.

.

OK, so I have the song 'Moonbeam Levels' on the original 'The Work' box set, the updated 'Work It 2.0' set and lastly on BFTP 4.

.

I've just compared these three versions to the official release and the very most I could make out was about 3 notes. Maybe 2 seconds of additional fade at the most. I’m assuming you’re not referring to that, so is there a longer version I am unaware of? May I ask how you came by the song? Note, I’m not asking for a link or anything. Just some indication of what it was released on so I can check it out for myself. Thanks. wink


I downloaded it years ago from someone on the Royal Hub, I don;t know if it ever was released on a bootleg.

.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 07/10/19 3:50am

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

"Free" would have been the only track worth swapping out from 82-88, otherwise he probably missed his opening... other than dumping it on the Batman soundtrack, which might've been second best option actually, even the completely unimpressed might find it refreshing amidst that whole context... He could say it was performed by Alfred.

[Edited 7/10/19 4:05am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 07/10/19 8:20am

Resolution

Not a fan of this song at all - played it a few times, tried to like it, failed.

''Variety is the spice of life'' as they say ...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 07/10/19 11:35am

luv2tha99s

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Just an awful track.


Meanwhile, EVERYBODY is clamoring for a re-release of SHAKE lol.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 07/10/19 11:40am

rdhull

avatar

luv2tha99s said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Just an awful track.


Meanwhile, EVERYBODY is clamoring for a re-release of SHAKE lol.

lol
c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 07/10/19 12:43pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

luv2tha99s said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Just an awful track.


Meanwhile, EVERYBODY is clamoring for a re-release of SHAKE lol.


Shake? The Graffiti Bridge song? Are you commenting on my username? It’s an unreleased track from The Flesh sessions.

Nice attempt at trolling though
lol
Persistent Turd is the shit.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 07/10/19 7:22pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

luv2tha99s said:
Meanwhile, EVERYBODY is clamoring for a re-release of SHAKE lol.
Shake? The Graffiti Bridge song? Are you commenting on my username? It’s an unreleased track from The Flesh sessions. Nice attempt at trolling though lol

Oh snap. Wait until he learns there is also a "Get Off" completely distinct from "Gett Off."

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 07/10/19 7:47pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

VaultCurator said:

lurker316 said:

I don't think that's the oldest version of We Can Funk on PRD. I have a version that sounds significantly older. Almost like a different recording altogther.



Hi Lurker,

It sounds like you're referring to one of the version recorded at Washington Avenue Warehouse from 1986. Does Prince count in "Two... Three..." before the track starts?

A brief history of 'We Can Funk'...

We Can Funk #1 (AKA. 'We Can Fuck') (1983-1984):
So the earliest known version is 'We Can Fuck' which was recorded and mixed on 31 December 1983 & 1 January 1984 at Sunset Sound. It's basically the same recording that later surfaced on Graffiti Bridge after additional mixing. This is the version on PRD.

We Can Funk #2, #3 & #4 (1986):
In June 1986 Prince recorded 3 tracks played live in quick succession (I believe with The Revolution? I may be wrong). The three songs were 'Girl of my Dreams', 'Can't Stop This Feeling I Got', 'We Can Funk'. Since they recorded this sequence twice this accounts for We Can Funk #2 and #3

Prince would later take the music from one of these versions and record a clearer vocal line at Paisley Park. This is known as We Can Funk #4

We Can Funk #5 onwards... (1989? / 1990?):
When Prince came to work on Graffiti Bridge he took the original 'We Can Fuck' recording, changed the lyric and did some reworking to the track. The first couple of versions featured Prince on his own, and a few later versions featured George Clinton to various degrees. On some versions George sung during the second verse and some versions just contained his ab libs between verses. These mixes vary in length and include many different endings, probably because Prince was experimenting on how to segue the track into Joy In Repetition.

I am not sure that much of "we can fuck" was used for the Graffiti Bridge version... there are some differences to vocals and lyrics ("Weather they're in love or not" to "If all the love in the world is what they got")


Dang! it is mostly the same... "We can Funk" had a lot of lyrics that we ommited in "We Can Fuck" and other changes (Like "take off my clothes") but much of the vocals that are in both is idenical.

[Edited 7/10/19 20:14pm]

Being a die-hard civil rights champion,
Being a die-hard libertarian,
Sometimes I have to defend
that which I find distasteful.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 07/10/19 8:24pm

Strive

OnlyNDaUsa said:

I am not sure that much of "we can fuck" was used for the Graffiti Bridge version... there are some differences to vocals and lyrics ("Weather they're in love or not" to "If all the love in the world is what they got")


Dang! it is mostly the same... "We can Funk" had a lot of lyrics that we ommited in "We Can Fuck" and other changes (Like "take off my clothes") but much of the vocals that are in both is idenical.

[Edited 7/10/19 20:14pm]

There's a version on an early configuation of Graffiti Bridge that's basically the PRD version but he added the whisper part which ended up in the final cut and recorded over/change the lyrics at the end.

no yesterday or tomorrow, no better remedy for sorrow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 07/11/19 2:46am

love2thenines2
003

Do we know if an alternative/or reworked version of Moonbeam does exist in the vault
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 07/11/19 4:57pm

Moonbeam

avatar

love2thenines2003 said:

Do we know if an alternative/or reworked version of Moonbeam does exist in the vault


I remember reading somewhere that Prince pulled it out around the time Michael Bland joined the band and that he recorded new drums for it at the time, but I can't seem to find it. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 07/11/19 7:08pm

lurker316

avatar

VaultCurator said:

lurker316 said:

I don't think that's the oldest version of We Can Funk on PRD. I have a version that sounds significantly older. Almost like a different recording altogther.



Hi Lurker,

It sounds like you're referring to one of the version recorded at Washington Avenue Warehouse from 1986. Does Prince count in "Two... Three..." before the track starts?

A brief history of 'We Can Funk'...

We Can Funk #1 (AKA. 'We Can Fuck') (1983-1984):
So the earliest known version is 'We Can Fuck' which was recorded and mixed on 31 December 1983 & 1 January 1984 at Sunset Sound. It's basically the same recording that later surfaced on Graffiti Bridge after additional mixing. This is the version on PRD.

We Can Funk #2, #3 & #4 (1986):
In June 1986 Prince recorded 3 tracks played live in quick succession (I believe with The Revolution? I may be wrong). The three songs were 'Girl of my Dreams', 'Can't Stop This Feeling I Got', 'We Can Funk'. Since they recorded this sequence twice this accounts for We Can Funk #2 and #3

Prince would later take the music from one of these versions and record a clearer vocal line at Paisley Park. This is known as We Can Funk #4

We Can Funk #5 onwards... (1989? / 1990?):
When Prince came to work on Graffiti Bridge he took the original 'We Can Fuck' recording, changed the lyric and did some reworking to the track. The first couple of versions featured Prince on his own, and a few later versions featured George Clinton to various degrees. On some versions George sung during the second verse and some versions just contained his ab libs between verses. These mixes vary in length and include many different endings, probably because Prince was experimenting on how to segue the track into Joy In Repetition.



Yes, the version I have starts off with Prince counting, "Two.. Three...". It's 5:06 in duration.

I assumed it was earlier because it is obviously a completely different recording from what appeared on GB... whereas "We Can Fuck" that appears on PRD sounds like an earlier version of the GB song.

In other words (using your numbering) #s 1 and 5 are clearly an evolution of the same recording, whereas number 2/3/4 sounds like a different song altogether, so I thought it was earlier.

Regardless, I prefer 2/3/4.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 07/12/19 2:33am

VaultCurator

avatar

lurker316 said:


In other words (using your numbering) #s 1 and 5 are clearly an evolution of the same recording, whereas number 2/3/4 sounds like a different song altogether, so I thought it was earlier.

.

Yep, spot on. I actually prefer those versions to (#2/3/4, the not GB ones). They have some wicked vibe.
.
It blew my mind when I heard 'We Can Fuck' on PRD, as I knew there was a version that pre-dated the 1986 recordings, but I assumed that would also be a separate recording of its own. For years I figured that the Graffiti Bridge version was a fresh recording specifically done for Graffiti Bridge. It turned out that the backing music was nearly a decade old by the time anyone heard it.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 07/12/19 4:57am

RODSERLING

Who cares since Prince never used it anyway?
Why are you so excited about that?
Sales and charts are far more interesting.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 07/12/19 5:45am

lurker316

avatar

VaultCurator said:

lurker316 said:


In other words (using your numbering) #s 1 and 5 are clearly an evolution of the same recording, whereas number 2/3/4 sounds like a different song altogether, so I thought it was earlier.

.

Yep, spot on. I actually prefer those versions to (#2/3/4, the not GB ones). They have some wicked vibe.
.
It blew my mind when I heard 'We Can Fuck' on PRD, as I knew there was a version that pre-dated the 1986 recordings, but I assumed that would also be a separate recording of its own. For years I figured that the Graffiti Bridge version was a fresh recording specifically done for Graffiti Bridge. It turned out that the backing music was nearly a decade old by the time anyone heard it.


That is very surprsing.



 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 07/12/19 6:31am

dodger

VaultCurator said:

lurker316 said:


In other words (using your numbering) #s 1 and 5 are clearly an evolution of the same recording, whereas number 2/3/4 sounds like a different song altogether, so I thought it was earlier.

.

Yep, spot on. I actually prefer those versions to (#2/3/4, the not GB ones). They have some wicked vibe.
.
It blew my mind when I heard 'We Can Fuck' on PRD, as I knew there was a version that pre-dated the 1986 recordings, but I assumed that would also be a separate recording of its own. For years I figured that the Graffiti Bridge version was a fresh recording specifically done for Graffiti Bridge. It turned out that the backing music was nearly a decade old by the time anyone heard it.

Yes, We Can Funk has a great history.

.

The 86 version is by far my favourite.

.

I also love the final rendition he did with Andy Allo (Oui Can Luv)

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 07/12/19 7:25am

feeluupp

avatar

Great lyrics, overhyped and way over rated song by the fans, especially on The Org.

Anyone claiming this to be his VERY BEST SONG needs to go back and rediscover the Prince catalouge.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 07/12/19 7:42am

RODSERLING

feeluupp said:

Great lyrics, overhyped and way over rated song by the fans, especially on The Org.



Anyone claiming this to be his VERY BEST SONG needs to go back and rediscover the Prince catalouge.



I agree. Prince thought the same, since he never released it.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 07/12/19 11:27am

Moonbeam

avatar

feeluupp said:

Great lyrics, overhyped and way over rated song by the fans, especially on The Org.



Anyone claiming this to be his VERY BEST SONG needs to go back and rediscover the Prince catalouge.



As I am the one who said that “Moonbeam Levels” is his best song, I think you need to get over yourself, frankly. I don’t need to go back and “rediscover” a catalogue I have been listening to over and over again for 30 years just for your approval.
Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 07/12/19 11:53am

RODSERLING

Moonbeam said:

feeluupp said:

Great lyrics, overhyped and way over rated song by the fans, especially on The Org.



Anyone claiming this to be his VERY BEST SONG needs to go back and rediscover the Prince catalouge.



As I am the one who said that “Moonbeam Levels” is his best song, I think you need to get over yourself, frankly. I don’t need to go back and “rediscover” a catalogue I have been listening to over and over again for 30 years just for your approval.


But your opinion is biased, since that s the name of your avatar !
.
Seriously, I love this song, like I love almost every thing from Prince, but I think that's not the forgotten masterpiece like I often read here.
.
I don't think it would have been even a hit at the time. No way.
.
It wouldn't have been worse than, let s say the ladder, but I think there was something on the tone of the song that wasn't really like a sad song, not really like a fun song, and the chorus wasn't that great and catchy, so Prince was on the opinion it would have detract the listener from an album.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 07/12/19 12:01pm

feeluupp

avatar

Moonbeam said:

feeluupp said:

Great lyrics, overhyped and way over rated song by the fans, especially on The Org.

Anyone claiming this to be his VERY BEST SONG needs to go back and rediscover the Prince catalouge.

As I am the one who said that “Moonbeam Levels” is his best song, I think you need to get over yourself, frankly. I don’t need to go back and “rediscover” a catalogue I have been listening to over and over again for 30 years just for your approval.

Naw... If you think that is his greatest song then you do need to rediscover his catalogue.

lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 07/12/19 12:17pm

jfenster

how did this thread turn into a ridiculous argument

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 07/12/19 12:28pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

jfenster said:

how did this thread turn into a ridiculous argument

that how the org do.

Being a die-hard civil rights champion,
Being a die-hard libertarian,
Sometimes I have to defend
that which I find distasteful.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 07/12/19 12:29pm

massing

RODSERLING said:

feeluupp said:

Great lyrics, overhyped and way over rated song by the fans, especially on The Org.

Anyone claiming this to be his VERY BEST SONG needs to go back and rediscover the Prince catalouge.

I agree. Prince thought the same, since he never released it.

I seem to recall listening to an interview with Susan Rogers where she spoke about this song and said that she thought the reason he didn't release it was to do with the lyrics, and that was often the factor that made him decide not to release songs. The implication seemed to be that the lyrics revealed an aspect of himself that he wasn't entirely comfortable with being out there. I think this could also apply to the original version of Old Friends For Sale, although that is speculation on my part.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 'Moonbeam Levels' and the albums it was considered for... (Susan Rogers)