independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 26th Jun 2019 5:31am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > the Controversy era 1981 - 1982
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 10/28/15 7:56am

m33kn3ss

Favorite Prince CD of all Time!

Superfunkycalifragisexy!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 10/28/15 9:32pm

Bluu

kae510 said:

SoulAlive said:

mine too headbang that is the best song on that album!

Oh YEAH !!!!! Fell in love with that song as soon as i heard that album (Cassette tape at the time)


"Private Joy" still does it for me. Really love that bright, and spunky lil' tune.

"Controversy" is probably my ALL time, longest running fav. Prince song (with some input from Andre?) of all time. This album has a special place in my heart among his albums.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 10/29/15 5:26am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

This is some good stuff

.

The Controversy Daily
Love They Neighbor
Do You Believe in God

U.S. Goes To Zoo -

Tourist Invasion of Uptown Fails, 89 Beheaded

Annie Christian Sentenced to Die
President Signs Gun Control Act

* Joni*

President Declares UPTOWN New U.S. Capital

Free Food Stamps For Good Samaritans

The Second Coming

Lingerie - New Fashion Trend

Sixty Thousand New Breed Schools Built by June

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 10/29/15 5:41am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 10/29/15 5:49am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

1981 Outtakes continued

Broken
This song was an early attempt by Prince to write a 1950s-style blues-based rock number, predating "Jack U Off" on Controversy and later "rockabilly" efforts. Even though the song sounds like a spontaneous live recording with his band, probably recorded by Prince on his own. A bluesy piano opening is followed by Prince's a cappella vocal intro before the song gets underway. The arrangement emphasizes an electric piano and a fast, fluid bassline. Sometimes called "Broken, Lonely And Crying," it was occasionally played on the Dirty Mind club tour the spring of 1981.

Broken
Till U come back 2 me
There'll be nothing left 2 say, no

Broken
My heart is broken, yeah Broken, oh baby
My heart's just broken in 2
Until U bring your sweet love, bring it on home 2 me
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone in misery

Broken, Lord
My heart is broken, Lord
Broken, yeah
My heart's just broken in 2
If U think that I'll beg 4 your sweet love, bring it on home 2 me
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone in misery

Lonely
I'm so lonely
Lonely
I don't know what do 2
Until U bring your sweet pussy, bring it on home 2 me
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone in misery

Cryin'
I'm just a-cryin'
I'm just a-cryin', baby, all night
I don't know what 2 do
Until U bring your sweet honey, bring it on home 2 me
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone in misery

Oh oh, baby
Until U, baby
Until U, baby, Lord
Until U, baby
Until U bring your sweet love, bring it on home 2 me
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone in misery

Cymbals!

Until U bring your sweet love, bring it on home 2 me
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone, baby
Broken-hearted man alone, baby
Broken-hearted man alone in misery

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 10/29/15 9:21am

iZsaZsa

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:


1981 Outtakes continued

Broken
This song was an early attempt by Prince to write a 1950s-style blues-based rock number, predating "Jack U Off" on Controversy and later "rockabilly" efforts. Even though the song sounds like a spontaneous live recording with his band, probably recorded by Prince on his own. A bluesy piano opening is followed by Prince's a cappella vocal intro before the song gets underway. The arrangement emphasizes an electric piano and a fast, fluid bassline. Sometimes called "Broken, Lonely And Crying," it was occasionally played on the Dirty Mind club tour the spring of 1981.

Broken
Till U come back 2 me
There'll be nothing left 2 say, no

Broken
My heart is broken, yeah Broken, oh baby
My heart's just broken in 2
Until U bring your sweet love, bring it on home 2 me
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone in misery

Broken, Lord
My heart is broken, Lord
Broken, yeah
My heart's just broken in 2
If U think that I'll beg 4 your sweet love, bring it on home 2 me
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone in misery

Lonely
I'm so lonely
Lonely
I don't know what do 2
Until U bring your sweet pussy, bring it on home 2 me
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone in misery

Cryin'
I'm just a-cryin'
I'm just a-cryin', baby, all night
I don't know what 2 do
Until U bring your sweet honey, bring it on home 2 me
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone in misery

Oh oh, baby
Until U, baby
Until U, baby, Lord
Until U, baby
Until U bring your sweet love, bring it on home 2 me
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone in misery

Cymbals!

Until U bring your sweet love, bring it on home 2 me
I'll be your broken-hearted man alone, baby
Broken-hearted man alone, baby
Broken-hearted man alone in misery




It's not as aggressive as Jack U Off is; it was for the best.
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 10/29/15 12:39pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

10.9.1981 @ the Memorial Coliseum in LA

3rd act OPENING FOR THE ROLLING STONES

1.) Bambi

2.) When U Were Mine

3.) Uptown

4.) Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?

10.11.1981 @ the Memorial Coliseum in LA
3rd act OPENING for the Rolling Stones

1.) Bambi

2.) When U Were Mine

3.) Jack U Off

4.) Uptown

5.) Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?

12195922_1065839170126902_565556801372092153_n.jpg?oh=f116eae82fe78eae9effe992e4b46eaa&oe=56C3BBE2

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 10/30/15 4:49am

iZsaZsa

avatar

I don't care what they say, I know Prince was hot!
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 10/30/15 5:41am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

iZsaZsa said:

I don't care what they say, I know Prince was hot!

Well when the Rolling Stones want you to open for them, then you know you are. And then a few years later in 1986 during an after show and a few on shows Rolling Stone membes join Prince and the Revolution on stage during the Parade tour

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 10/30/15 5:46am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

2.1.2015

This is an exclusive interview with Mark “Brown Mark” Brown from The Five Count radio show in Mankato, Minn.

Brown Mark: Yeah, you know the thing about the Rolling Stones, I don't talk to journalist too much because they... I was always reluctant to give interviews throught my career. And one thing about the Rolling Stones concert and just an example It wasn't as bad as what a lot of the press made it.
If you go to any Rolling Stones concert IDK if you've ever been to one, but u have a hostile audience, you had 94.000 people packed into a stadium, festival seating so everyone was standing it was hot fire hoses spraying the people down like cattle, and with that kind of an atmosphere you're going to get an very irritable crowd. And they wanted to see the Rolling Stones.
So here we come out and where somebody knew and we're a new group, they didn't know who were were. There were a handful of fans that knew who were were and they worked their way up to the front. But for the most part that was a Rolling Stones crowd so when we got up there it wasn't that they were booing us or didn't not like Prince, it was a typical reaction from a Rolling Stones crowd. One persons starts throwing food from one side of the stage next thing you know we are in the middle of a food fight, it was pretty amazing because it looked like clouds of debris flying from one end of the stadium to the other. lol and we just got caught in the crossfire. It was just a typical reaction of Rolling Stones audiences, I've seen it many times before. And what happened is the announcer went out and he kind of barked at the people "You guys are being disrespectful blah blah blah" Next thing you know they were booing, they weren't booing at us, they were booing what he was saying. The papers took that a whole different way. But the Rolling Stones, man what an awesome gig. When I went out there and I saw all those people I was like WOW so this is the big time.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 10/30/15 7:34am

FUNKYNESS

nursev said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

my goodness eek

In the words of Jamie Foxx, I challange any dude in here to look in his eyes and not feel some kind of shit....LOL

Save America - Stop Illegal Immigration. God bless America. PEACE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 10/30/15 7:59am

FUNKYNESS

I think this is where Prince started to really pull away from the pack. He was becoming the cutting edge maverick that would rule the 80s and stun the music world. Listen to Controversy today and it has aged extremely well - better than any electro crap you can get now (including recent Prince like HitnRun). Even the image was something that was starkly original - I mean, the shower poster that came with the record? The racial and sexual ambiguity? The new wave amalgam of rock, soul, & funk? Who was doing that? When I miss Prince - real Prince, I go back to this period and start over.

Save America - Stop Illegal Immigration. God bless America. PEACE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 10/30/15 8:53am

iZsaZsa

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:


2.1.2015



This is an exclusive interview with Mark “Brown Mark” Brown from The Five Count radio show in Mankato, Minn.



Brown Mark: Yeah, you know the thing about the Rolling Stones, I don't talk to journalist too much because they... I was always reluctant to give interviews throught my career. And one thing about the Rolling Stones concert and just an example It wasn't as bad as what a lot of the press made it.
If you go to any Rolling Stones concert IDK if you've ever been to one, but u have a hostile audience, you had 94.000 people packed into a stadium, festival seating so everyone was standing it was hot fire hoses spraying the people down like cattle, and with that kind of an atmosphere you're going to get an very irritable crowd. And they wanted to see the Rolling Stones.
So here we come out and where somebody knew and we're a new group, they didn't know who were were. There were a handful of fans that knew who were were and they worked their way up to the front. But for the most part that was a Rolling Stones crowd so when we got up there it wasn't that they were booing us or didn't not like Prince, it was a typical reaction from a Rolling Stones crowd. One persons starts throwing food from one side of the stage next thing you know we are in the middle of a food fight, it was pretty amazing because it looked like clouds of debris flying from one end of the stadium to the other. lol and we just got caught in the crossfire. It was just a typical reaction of Rolling Stones audiences, I've seen it many times before. And what happened is the announcer went out and he kind of barked at the people "You guys are being disrespectful blah blah blah" Next thing you know they were booing, they weren't booing at us, they were booing what he was saying. The papers took that a whole different way. But the Rolling Stones, man what an awesome gig. When I went out there and I saw all those people I was like WOW so this is the big time.




All those people already there but they didn't want to see the opening act? They should have stayed home longer.
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 10/30/15 11:26am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

FUNKYNESS said:

nursev said:

OldFriends4Sale said: my goodness eek

In the words of Jamie Foxx, I challange any dude in here to look in his eyes and not feel some kind of shit....LOL

Prince is the only man since I looked who has been the object of my affection lol

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 10/31/15 3:35am

iZsaZsa

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:



FUNKYNESS said:




nursev said:


OldFriends4Sale said: my goodness eek

In the words of Jamie Foxx, I challange any dude in here to look in his eyes and not feel some kind of shit....LOL




Prince is the only man since I looked who has been the object of my affection lol




lol I appreciate that! smile
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 11/02/15 4:09pm

ThrillUorKillU

avatar

One of my favorite eras but it always bugged me that the album didn't have more rugged tracks more like Controversy. Annie Christian sounds more hard and rugged in live shows during that era. The vocals and guitar solos
"Don't make me chase u, even doves have pride.."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 11/02/15 5:23pm

nursev

FUNKYNESS said:

nursev said:

OldFriends4Sale said: my goodness eek

In the words of Jamie Foxx, I challange any dude in here to look in his eyes and not feel some kind of shit....LOL

so true falloff

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 11/02/15 5:24pm

nursev

iZsaZsa said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Prince is the only man since I looked who has been the object of my affection lol

lol I appreciate that! smile

indeed lol it's also kinda sweet razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 11/03/15 5:42am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

ThrillUorKillU said:

One of my favorite eras but it always bugged me that the album didn't have more rugged tracks more like Controversy. Annie Christian sounds more hard and rugged in live shows during that era. The vocals and guitar solos

i know what you mean, even when you look at the album outtakes or songs made during this period, they are mostly about love/romance/relationships, not 'social ideologies' and such.
Tick Tick Bang is sooo Dirty Mind but also feels like Sexuality. but no other songs (that we have) that fit that albums new wave drive

Alexander O’ Neal, pre The Time 1981
Rough #2

Home studio, early 1981
She’s Just A Baby #1 (4:44)
Broken (3:04)
Commercial #1
Hump You
Susan

The Time, home studio, April 1981 – album mixed in late April
- Lead vocal: Morris Day, backing vocals: Lisa Coleman, synth solo on “Get It Up” & “The Stick”: Matt Fink
Get It Up (9:05)*
Girl (5:34)*
After Hi School (4:20)* (Dez Dickerson)
Cool (10:06)* (Prince/Dez Dickerson)
Oh, Baby #2 (4:57)*
The Stick (8:23)* (Lisa Coleman/Prince)

Home studio, spring – summer 1981
Let’s Rock #1

Home studio, 1981
Dancin’ Flu (Prince/Dez Dickerson)
Dear Uncle George #1 (Private Joy was based on the music from this song)
Delivery Boy #1
Forever Mine (Kenny Gamble/Leon Huff) – cover of The O’Jays
Friction
Hard To Get #2
I Can’t Figure It Out (Dez Dickerson)
The Rain And You - ballad
Rain #1 – possibly a cappella

Controversy, home studio, summer 1981
Controversy (7:14)*
Sexuality (4:20)*
Ronnie, Talk To Russia #1
Annie Christian (4:21)*
Poppa Grooves (Instrumental) #1
There’s Something I Like About Being Your Fool #1
Tick, Tick, Bang #1 (3:16)

Controversy, Hollywood Sound, June - August 1981
Delivery Boy #2
Do Me, Baby (7:47)*
Let’s Work #2 (3:57)* (previously “Let’s Rock”)
Ronnie, Talk To Russia #2 (1:48)*
Jack U Off (3:12)* (June) - Keyboards: Lisa Coleman & Matt Fink, drums: Bobby Z. Rivkin
Make U Mine (June) - Keyboards: Lisa Coleman & Matt Fink, drums: Bobby Z. Rivkin
There’s Something I Like About Being Your Fool #2 (June)

Controversy, Sunset Sound, 14-16 August 1981 - album completed by mid-August
There’s Something I Like About Being Your Fool #3 (14-15/8)
Private Joy #2 (4:25)* (16/8) (previously “Dear Uncle George”)

The Hookers, home studio, 1981 - Jamie Shoop & Susan Moonsie
I Need A Man #1 – lead vocal: Jamie Shoop
Make-up (2:39)*
Wet Dream #1
Jealous Girl #1 – offered to The Bangles in 1985
Pizza
Drive Me Wild (2:32)*

Unnamed project, home studio, 1981
See U Dead
Heart Attack
Kiss Me Quick
Strange Way Of Saying I Love You (2:09)
Gym Class

Home studio, autumn-winter 1981
The Second Coming (1:58) (autumn)
Baby I’m A Star #1 (autumn/winter)
Rearrange #1 (7/12)
Baby I’m A Star #2 (7-8/12)
Let’s Work (Dance Remix) (8:02)* (8/12)
Feel U Up #1 (6:38) – segued with
Irresistible Bitch #1 (4:36) (winter)
Jerk Out #1 (late 1981) (Prince/Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis/Morris Day)

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 11/03/15 6:38am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Prince kicks off the “Controversy Tour” at the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh, PA. The tour will feature The Time as Prince’s opening act and will play 52 cities across the US, wrapping up in Cincinnati, OH at Riverfront Stadium on March 14, 1982. This tour will also introduce new bassist Brown Mark (aka Mark Brown) to the band, replacing original member Andre Cymone, who leaves for a solo career.

CONTROVERSY TOUR
opening acts: Zapp, the Time

11.20.1981

the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh PA

the Time
1. Intro

2. The Stick

3. After High School

4. Oh Baby

5. Get It Up

6. Cool

Prince

1. the Second Coming into

2. Sexuality

3. Why U Wanna Treat Me So Bad?

4. Jack U Off

5. When U Were Mine

6. I Wanna Be Your Love

7. Head

8. Annie Christian

9. Dirty Mind

10. Do Me Baby

11. Let's Work

12. Controversy

13. Uptown

14. Pary Up


#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 11/03/15 9:53am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 11/03/15 9:59am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 11/03/15 3:47pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 11/03/15 4:19pm

214

OldFriends4Sale said:

I love that picture

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 11/04/15 8:50am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

December 2. 1981 Palladium [NYC]
(on the Controversy Tour)

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 11/04/15 8:52am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 11/04/15 8:54am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Sexuality is the second track on Prince's 1981 album, Controversy. The song was also released as a single in Germany, Japan and Australia.

Sexuality is a fast-paced track, built around a synth bass line and drum machines. Much like Controversy, a funky rhythm guitar is used throughout the song with brief stabs of rock thrown in. Similar to the song "Uptown", Prince describes a society free from prejudice as a "New Breed". The political number also takes jabs at tourists and the sensationalism of television.

Prince reused the Sexuality line "reproduction of a new breed/Stand up, organize" on the title track for his 2001 album, The Rainbow Children.





Stand up, everybody, this is your life
Let me take U 2 another world, let me take U 2night
U don't need no money, U don't need no clothes
The second coming, anything goes

Sexuality is all U'll ever need
Sexuality - let your body be free

Ow!
Oh baby

Come on, everybody, yeah, this is your life
I'm talkin' 'bout a revolution we gotta organize
We don't need no segregation, we don't need no race
New age revelation, I think we got a case

I'm OK as long as U are here with me
Sexuality is all we ever need

Oh baby!

(The reproduction of the new breed - Leaders, stand up, organize)
{repeat phrase in BG}
Everybody
One time, say...

We live in a world overrun by tourists
Tourists - 89 flowers on their back
Inventors of the Accu-Jack
They look at life through a pocket camera
What? No flash again?
They're all a bunch of double drags
Who teach their kids that love is bad
Half of the staff of their brain is on vacation
Mama, are U listening?
We need a new breed - Leaders, stand up, organize ... yeah!
Don't let your children watch television until they know how 2 read
Or else all they'll know how 2 do is cuss, fight and breed
No child is bad from the beginning
They only imitate their atmosphere
If they're in the company of tourists, alcohol and U.S. history
What's 2 be expected is 3 minus 3, oh
Absolutely nothing

Stand up, organize
(The reproduction of the new breed - Leaders, stand up, organize)
We need the new breed - Leaders, stand up, organize
I wanna be in the new breed - stand up, organize
Sexuality is all I'll ever need
Sexuality - I'm gonna let my body be free
Sexuality is all I'll ever need
Sexuality - I'm gonna let my body be free


Sexuality © 1981 Controversy Music - ASCAP

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 11/04/15 9:05am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Possessed:the Rise & Fall of Prince

November 1981 - March 1982: Controversy tour of the United States

pg 47 One morning before a show in Tampa, Florida, Dickerson was getting a cup of coffee in the hotel restaurant when he experienced a moment of terror: A huge man who looked like the quintessential redneck biker - long hair, muscles, tattoos - was striding toward him. "I thought I was about to die," the guitarist remembered. Fortunately, the hulking figure passed right by, and may have even grunted a hello.

About an hour later, Dickerson received a phone call summoning him to Prince's room for a band meeting. When he walked in, he was shocked to see the same man he had encountered in the restaurant. Dickerson was introduced to Chick Huntsberry, Prince's new bodyguard.

On the bus the next day, Huntsberry's presence proved intimidating to everyone, and he spent most of the ride to Jacksonville surrounded by empty seats. Finally, Dickerson decided to approach him and found the bodyguard to be a warm, friendly person who had lived a fascinating, if rough, life that had included working security at biker bars.

At six feet inches and over 300 pounds, the bearded, tattooed Huntsberry really did look like a refugee from a motorcycle gang, and th contrast between him and Prince was stark to the point of absurdity. At first, Prince thought so too; although he agreed with his managers that more security was needed, he couldn't imagine having Huntsberry shadow him. A couple of days later, Prince mentioned to Dickerson that he was going to send the bodyguard home.

"Why?" Dickerson asked.

"He's just too big, he scares me," Prince responded.

Dickerson related the conversatin he had had with Huntsberry on the bus and urged Prince to keep him. "I think he's a good guy - you should give him a chance."

Prince thought about it and decided to follow Dickerson's advice. And as the bodyguard began accompanying him almost everywhere. Prince came to feel comforted by having a human barricade against the world. Huntsberry was dedicated enough to do just about anything for his new charge, and Prince began relying on him not only for protection but for a wide variety of personal errands. They soon became almost inseparable.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 11/04/15 9:13am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 11/04/15 9:14am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > the Controversy era 1981 - 1982