independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > the PRINCE era 1979-1980
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 08/04/15 12:18pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 08/04/15 7:40pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

Prince and Patrice Rushen

Prince and Patrice Rushen

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 08/05/15 3:45am

iZsaZsa

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:



Prince and Patrice Rushen






I thought she was mentioned in the "Thank you"s, but I don't see her name.
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 08/05/15 4:17am

SPYZFAN1

Old Friends..Those two pictures of P (with the leather jacket and white scarf) are so cool! Never saw them before. I remember back then my friends cracked on him hard for wearing his earring in the right ear..(lol)..Nowadays it isn't a big deal.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 08/05/15 5:01am

KoolEaze

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad? video (October 1979)

It´s amazing how that guitar resurfaced again after so many years. It got repaired and someone remembered that it was one of Prince´s first guitars ( a custom made guitar by Minneapolis luthier Chuck Orr). I saw it on FB on the page of someone who is an FB friend of mine, he is a bit older and knows quite a bit about the history of that guitar (he is not a Prince fan or associate though....just someone who has lived in Minneapolis for a long time and then moved back to his home state). A while after, me and some other orgers created a thread about this guitar and one day Prince bought it back and posted a picture of it.

I like that he got it back but my favorite trademark Prince guitars will always be the Hohner Telecaster and the Cloud. Too bad that he stopped playing his most iconic guitars.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 08/05/15 5:03am

KoolEaze

avatar

There was a story in Uptown magazine about this early era, and it mentioned how Prince and his management visited Prince´s hero Carlos Santana in Sausalito, this was during Santana´s Devadip phase when he would dress in all white, and Prince reportedly refused to take his boots off while at Carlos´s place, and Carlos insisted on him taking his shoes off. wink

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 08/05/15 6:18am

OldFriends4Sal
e

11.28.1979 @ the Roxy Theater LA

Photo of Prince by Chris Walter , reference; p12002a,www.photofeatures.com

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 08/05/15 6:31am

OldFriends4Sal
e

11.28.1979 @ the Roxy Theater LA

With Prince planning to release no less than four new albums this year, we thought it would be fun to relive one of the boy wonder's earliest gigs. Don Snowden was at the Roxy in LA to witness the miniature Minneapolitan's "jarring mixture" of styles, his review appearing in the Los Angeles

Times on 29 November, 1979.--Barney Hoskyns, Editorial Director, Rock's Backpages

It must be a daunting prospect for anyone to make his or her performing debut, save for a couple of hometown Minneapolis tune-ups, before an industry-heavy crowd at the Roxy. That was the situation confronting Prince Wednesday night.

Prince, 19, is something of a wunderkind who produced, arranged and composed all the material and played all the instruments on his two Warner Bros. albums. His vinyl output, somewhat like Stevie Wonder's, is aimed squarely at the black-pop mainstream and crossover audiences but his live show is heavily influenced by hard-rock flash.

The result is a bizarre combination of musical and visual elements. Guitarist Des Dickerson (black leather jacket and leopard skin pants) and bassist Andre Cymone (legs encased in plastic wrap) both look more punk than funk. Prince largely sticks to guitar and throws enough pelvic grinds and phallic guitar poses at the audience to give most obnoxiously macho rock stars a run for their money.

Prince sings in a thin falsetto that recalls Eddie Holman (remember "Hey There, Lonely Girl"?), but his vocals lack the power to cut through the instrumental attack on the rock-oriented material that comprised half of the hour-long set. The largely black audience responded more favorably to the more restrained, carefully crafted funk exercises like "Sexy Dancer" and "I Wanna Be Your Lover." The latter is the nation's No. 1 soul single this week and also rising fast on the pop charts.

The slack pacing and Prince's uneasiness as a front man can be chalked up to a simple lack of stage experience, but a more pressing problem is his attempt to straddle two disparate musical worlds. That's not necessarily a bad move, but it is a jarring mixture at this point. Prince obviously is a talented new arrival, but he needs to reconcile those two musical instincts if he is to maximize his potential as a live performer.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 08/05/15 6:33am

OldFriends4Sal
e

iZsaZsa said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Prince and Patrice Rushen

I thought she was mentioned in the "Thank you"s, but I don't see her name.

I thought so too

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 08/05/15 6:38am

OldFriends4Sal
e

SPYZFAN1 said:

Old Friends..Those two pictures of P (with the leather jacket and white scarf) are so cool!

Never saw them before.

I remember back then my friends cracked on him hard for wearing his earring in the right ear..(lol)..Nowadays it isn't a big deal.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Everytime I see pictures of Prince with the earling in the right ear, I assume it's a reversed photo

That is interesting.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 08/05/15 6:42am

OldFriends4Sal
e

KoolEaze said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad? video (October 1979)

It´s amazing how that guitar resurfaced again after so many years. It got repaired and someone remembered that it was one of Prince´s first guitars ( a custom made guitar by Minneapolis luthier Chuck Orr). I saw it on FB on the page of someone who is an FB friend of mine, he is a bit older and knows quite a bit about the history of that guitar (he is not a Prince fan or associate though....just someone who has lived in Minneapolis for a long time and then moved back to his home state). A while after, me and some other orgers created a thread about this guitar and one day Prince bought it back and posted a picture of it.

I like that he got it back but my favorite trademark Prince guitars will always be the Hohner Telecaster and the Cloud. Too bad that he stopped playing his most iconic guitars.

Great Info!! He has some cool guitars back then
Do you know anything of this guitar?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 08/05/15 6:43am

OldFriends4Sal
e

http://www.sherrybarnettp...tore4.html

Prince
The Roxy, W. Hollywood 11/79

Prince – the early days … live, onstage at The Roxy in West Hollywood, circa 1979.

11"X14" Signed and Numbered Limited Edition Artist Print

Price - Unframed
$200
Limited Edition

on Archival Matte
Free Shipping

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 08/05/15 6:47am

OldFriends4Sal
e

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 08/05/15 7:32am

iZsaZsa

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:



KoolEaze said:




OldFriends4Sale said:





Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad? video (October 1979)






It´s amazing how that guitar resurfaced again after so many years. It got repaired and someone remembered that it was one of Prince´s first guitars ( a custom made guitar by Minneapolis luthier Chuck Orr). I saw it on FB on the page of someone who is an FB friend of mine, he is a bit older and knows quite a bit about the history of that guitar (he is not a Prince fan or associate though....just someone who has lived in Minneapolis for a long time and then moved back to his home state). A while after, me and some other orgers created a thread about this guitar and one day Prince bought it back and posted a picture of it.


I like that he got it back but my favorite trademark Prince guitars will always be the Hohner Telecaster and the Cloud. Too bad that he stopped playing his most iconic guitars.




Great Info!! He has some cool guitars back then
Do you know anything of this guitar?









I see a star, and the the rest is probably something nasty. lol
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 08/05/15 7:40am

OldFriends4Sal
e

Home recordings, 1978 – 1979
Baby, Baby, Baby (2:44)
Nadeara (1:50)
K-FUNK Interview (featuring Nadeara) (7:47)
Miss You (1:53)
Donna (4:06)
Down A Long Lonely Road (1:18)
Do It Again
Gypsy
I Am You (late ’78)
I Met A Virgin Queen
I’m Leaving LA
Love Affair
Love Of Mine
Rock Me, Lover #2
Rocking Chair
We Would Like To See You Again
Wouldn’t You Love To Love Me? #3 (5:01)
Instrumental 1 (2:14) – guitars, soft drum machine
Instrumental 2 (2:21) – guitar, fast drum machine
Instrumental 3 (0:52) – percussion
Instrumental 4 (1:11) – acoustic guitar
Instrumental 5 (1:30) – funky acoustic & bass guitars
Instrumental 6 (0:37) – funky bass guitar

Pepé Willie, Music Farm Studios, New York, 17 February 1979
I Feel For You #1
If You Feel Like Dancin’ (7:08)* (Pepé Willie) – guitar & keyboards
One Man Jam (6:15)* (Pepé Willie) – everything but bass: André Cymone & synth: Pepé Willie
Thrill You Or Kill You #1 (André Cymone)
With You #1

Prince, Alpha Studio, Los Angeles, late April – 13 June 1979
I Wanna Be Your Lover (5:47)*
Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad? (3:49)*
Sexy Dancer #1 – with sound engineer
Sexy Dancer #2 (Long Version) (8:54)* - edit of #1
When We’re Dancing Close And Slow (5:18)*
With You #2 (3:59)*
Bambi (4:22)*
Still Waiting (4:24)*
I Feel For You #2
It’s Gonna Be Lonely (5:30)*
Oh, Baby #1

Prince, Hollywood Sound Records, Los Angeles, June 1979
Darling Marie #2
Sexy Dancer #3 (4:18)* - edit of #2
I Feel For You #3 (3:24)* - edit of #2

The Rebels, Mountain Ears Sound Studios, Boulder, Colorado, 10 – 21 July 1979
You #1 (2:53) – lead vocal: Gayle Chapman
Too Long (4:09) (Dez Dickerson) – lead vocal: Dez Dickerson
Hard To Get #1 (3:24) – lead vocal: André Cymone, backing vocal: Prince
Thrill You Or Kill You #2 (6:06) (André Cymone) – lead vocal: André Cymone
Disco Away (4:29) (Dez Dickerson) – lead vocal: Dez Dickerson
Instrumental 1 (1:05) (Dez Dickerson) – acoustic guitar & guitar sounding like synth
Instrumental 2 (1:00) (André Cymone) - bass & drums
If I Love You Tonight #1 (4:42) – lead vocal: Gayle Chapman
Turn Me On (1:58) – lead vocal: Gayle Chapman
Head #1

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 08/05/15 9:08am

OldFriends4Sal
e

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 08/05/15 9:08am

OldFriends4Sal
e

Sexy dancer, sexy dancer

Sexy dancer, you got my body screamin'
Sexy dancer, you got me just a creamin'
Sexy dancer, when you rub my body
Sexy dancer, it gets me so hot, hot

Sexy dancer, sexy dancer
Sexy dancer, sexy dancer

Sexy dancer, I want your body, want your body
Sexy dancer, dance
Sexy dancer, I want your body, want your body
Sexy dancer, dance

Sexy dancer, I want your body, want your body
Sexy dancer, dance
Sexy dancer, I want your body, want your body
Sexy dancer, dance

Sexy dancer, do that sexy dance
Sexy dancer

Sexy dancer, sexy dancer
Sexy dancer, sexy dancer
Hot


While specific recording dates are not known, the album sessions took place from late April to 13 June, 1979 at Alpha Studios, Burbank, CA, USA. Overdubs and mixing took place at Hollywood Sound Recorders, Los Angeles, CA, USA.

Although it wasn't released as a single in the USA, Sexy Dancer (with I Wanna Be Your Lover) reached position 3 in the Billboard Disco Top 100 Chart, indicating the track was a DJ favorite in US clubs.

-PrinceVault

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 08/06/15 9:25am

OldFriends4Sal
e

12.1.1979 @ the Palace in Houston TX

Prince -guitar & keyboard
Andre Cymone -bass
Bobby Z -drums
Dr Fink -keyboards

Dez Dickerson -guitar

Gayle Chapman -keyboards

  1. Soft and Wet
  2. Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?
  3. Still Waiting
  4. I Feel for You
  5. Sexy Dancer
  6. Just as Long as We're Together
  7. I Wanna Be Your Lover

Prince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The PalacePrince - Dec 1, 1979 at The Palace
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 08/06/15 10:01am

iZsaZsa

avatar

I'm sure they loved every minute of it, but back then they had to get their own ride, carry their own gear, dress themselves, take a bunch of crap, and all of that other mess. dead
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 08/06/15 11:00am

OldFriends4Sal
e

iZsaZsa said:

I'm sure they loved every minute of it, but back then they had to get their own ride, carry their own gear, dress themselves, take a bunch of crap, and all of that other mess. dead

lol I think artists need to keep some kind of normalcy to keep the drive and hunger
Prince continued to dress himself though

Andre Cymone & Prince on the road

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 08/06/15 11:12am

OldFriends4Sal
e

I believe this is the first image of Prince playing keyboards live

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 08/06/15 11:12am

iZsaZsa

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:



iZsaZsa said:


I'm sure they loved every minute of it, but back then they had to get their own ride, carry their own gear, dress themselves, take a bunch of crap, and all of that other mess. dead


lol I think artists need to keep some kind of normalcy to keep the drive and hunger
Prince continued to dress himself though




Andre Cymone & Prince on the road


That proves also that they had good credit. lol
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 08/06/15 1:36pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 08/06/15 2:16pm

SPYZFAN1

Amazing pictures. It's almost sad that none of these performances were filmed or videotaped.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 08/06/15 2:32pm

emesem

Wait wut? I dont think I've ever seen this!

OldFriends4Sale said:

Andre Cymone play a bass shaped like Prince's latter cloud guitar

From the band video version of I Wanna Be Your Lover(October 1979)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 08/06/15 3:09pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

SoulAlive said:

bashraka said:

michael-jackson-rock-with-you-1980-7michael-jackson-rock-with-you-epic-3

TW LW TITLE Artist (Label)-Weeks on Chart (Peak Position)

1 1 ROCK WITH YOU –•– Michael Jackson (Epic)-13 (2 weeks at #1) (1)
2 2 DO THAT TO ME ONE MORE TIME –•– The Captain and Tennille (Casablanca)-15 (2)
3 4 COWARD OF THE COUNTY –•– Kenny Rogers (United Artists)-11 (3)
4 3 ESCAPE (The Pina Colada Song) –•– Rupert Holmes (Infinity)-15 (1)
5 6 CRUISIN’ –•– Smokey Robinson (Tamla)-17 (5)
6 5 SEND ONE YOUR LOVE –•– Stevie Wonder (Tamla)-13 (4)
7 7 WE DON’T TALK ANYMORE –•– Cliff Richard (EMI-America)-15 (7)
8 18 CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE –•– Queen (Elektra)-6 (8)
9 11 THE LONG RUN –•– The Eagles (Asylum)-8 (9)
10 15 SARA –•– Fleetwood Mac (Warner Brothers)-7 (10)

11 13 I WANNA BE YOUR LOVER –•– Prince (Warner Brothers)-10 (11)
12 12 BETTER LOVE NEXT TIME –•– Dr. Hook (Capitol)-16 (12)
13 8 LADIES NIGHT –•– Kool and the Gang (De-Lite)-17 (8)
14 17 DON’T DO ME LIKE THAT –•– Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Backstreet)-11 (14)
15 16 THIS IS IT –•– Kenny Loggins (Columbia)-15 (15)
16 24 YES, I’M READY –•– Teri DeSario with K.C. (Casablanca)-11 (16)
17 21 DEJA VU –•– Dionne Warwick (Arista)-12 (17)
18 19 WAIT FOR ME –•– Daryl Hall and John Oates (RCA)-14 (18)
19 20 DON’T LET GO –•– Isaac Hayes (Polydor)-14 (19)
20 9 PLEASE DON’T GO –•– K.C. and the Sunshine Band (T.K.)-23 (1)

"I Wanna Be Your Lover" peaked on top 40 radio when Prince made his national television debut on American Bandstand which aired the same day the Billboard Hot 100 weekly chart was issued. It's interesting looking at the other songs on the chart and seeing not only the artists that he was in creative competition with but how his early reputation as a songwriter and live performer was at this point in his career. "Send One Your Love", "Cruisin" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" are all classic songs by legendary artists. Prince answered the bell on the second album.

https://weeklytop40.wordpress.com/?s=january+26%2C+1980

wow..I pretty much like every song on that chart! Alot of great songs back then music

I know all those songs. doh! That was a long time ago... lol

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 08/07/15 6:49am

OldFriends4Sal
e

emesem said:

Wait wut? I dont think I've ever seen this!

OldFriends4Sale said:

Andre Cymone play a bass shaped like Prince's latter cloud guitar

From the band video version of I Wanna Be Your Lover(October 1979)

the 1st video for the song?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 08/07/15 7:46am

OldFriends4Sal
e

1.11.1980
TV Performance: The Midnight Special


1. Wanna Be Your Lover
2. Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 08/07/15 7:58am

OldFriends4Sal
e

When We're Dancing Close And Slow

When we're dancing close and slow
I never want to let you go, no, no
I feel your warm embrace
The softness of your face
Tell me, baby, are we here alone?
When we're kissing long and hard
I can almost taste the thoughts within your mind
Sex-related fantasy is all that my mind can see
Baby, that's honestly the way I feel

When we're dancing close and slow
I'm not afraid to let my feelings show
I want to come inside of you
I want to hold you when we're through
Can't you feel my love touching you?
While specific recording dates are not known, the album sessions took place from late April to 13 June, 1979 at Alpha Studios, Burbank, CA, USA. Overdubs and mixing took place at Hollywood Sound Recorders, LA
-PrinceVault
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 08/07/15 8:04am

OldFriends4Sal
e

January 26. 1980
American Bandstand w/ Dick Clark:
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?

prince (784) Animated Gif on Giphy

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > the PRINCE era 1979-1980