independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince at Tower Records, Sunset Blvd
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 5 <12345>

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 03/20/06 10:54pm

CandaceS

avatar

loudawg said:

Ha ha she got out of line. For coffee? Women... And was it that a picture of?


rolleyes Please...everyone I know who freaks if they don't get their caffeine and/or nicotine is male!
"I would say that Prince's top thirty percent is great. Of that thirty percent, I'll bet the public has heard twenty percent of it." - Susan Rogers, "Hunting for Prince's Vault", BBC, 2015
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 03/20/06 10:56pm

pennylover

avatar

It's pretty small in that Towers record store. I wonder how all those people will fit eek
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 03/20/06 10:59pm

sallysassalot

son

of

a

bitch!


hope those who went have a blast! they best not roll up in this mutha whinging about "he didn't do this and he didn't do that!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 03/20/06 11:01pm

MIGUELGOMEZ

No no 100000 times no!!!!!

Have fun y'all.


M
MyeternalgrattitudetoPhil&Val.Herman said "We want sweaty truckers at the truck stop! We want cigar puffing men that look like they wanna beat the living daylights out of us" Val"sporking is spooning with benefits"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 03/20/06 11:39pm

Mag777

MarcelJ said:

Ok, I've got to be quick. I have my purple wristband, but had to take my wife home as she got outta line to get a coffee (don't ask how upset she is).

The line forms at 11:30pm for wristband holders. I'll let you all know how it goes. It was rainy and miserable waiting in line, which is why she go outta line. Saw two accidents on Laurel Canyon Blvd on the way. If you're at home, stay put at this point.

Here's a pic of the line.

cool pic..be SAFE!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 03/20/06 11:52pm

prodigalfan

avatar

What is the purple wristband about?
Where do you get one?
I don't want to be standing in a line and asked "where is your band?"
"Remember, one man's filler is another man's killer" -- Haystack
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 03/20/06 11:59pm

charrisse1971

(Handclapz ..remember that episode of What's Happenin when Re-Run had to stash that tape to the Doobie Brothers concert? Mmmmh mm well here's what we gon' do... )

Are you 4 real?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 03/21/06 1:27am

Rogue588

avatar

Snap said:

HeyJude said:

So pissed... I live three blocks away... Got myself out of bed... Shlepped over in the rain... The line is INSANE at 10pm... No way anyone else is getting in... Stay home.

Sucks that radio stations announce events like these to thousands of non-fans... oh well... Hopefully there will be plenty of Hollyrock shows this year!!
[Edited 3/20/06 22:28pm]


you mean we didn't hear it first from NPGMC?
shocker

amazin' innit?
• Did you first think Prince was gay? •

Wendy: He’s a girl, for sure, but he’s not gay. He looked at me like a gay woman would look at another woman. Lisa: Totally. He’s like a fancy lesbian.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 03/21/06 1:45am

MarcelJ

avatar

Ok, here's my best shot at this. I got back to Tower and my friend (whom I'd call around 8:30 to let him know about it) was holding a place in line for me in front. I took a couple pics of people waiting out front I'll post below. They started letting people in at around 11:30pm, but not before warning them no photos inside! I couldn't get any clear shots with my phone anyway due to the smoke, but I saw several people take some pics anyway. After a brief soundcheck by Cora, her husband I think on bass and the keyboard player, the DJ (I think from the BS video) warmed up the crowd to songs like Black Sweat, Cool, Love Bizarre and Lady Cab Driver). I would guess it was around midnight, Prince came out and got things going with Partyman. When he started playing, his mic was too low and he asked them several times to turn it up. He and Sheila E (Yes, she was there 10 feet in front of me next to Prince) were laughing and he was asking them to "turn it up to 400, 500...). They finally got him sounding right and he did Partyman with an extended jam at the end. Others will have to post the titles from the 1st set, as I couldn't remember them (ouch, sorry), but they did Play That Funky Music and had someone from the crowd come sing it (so the Karaoke part was true!). During the first set he invited some people on stage (8 or 9) for a "dance contest". Also, Tamar performed and looked great, but doesn't sound like a lead singer to me. The twins looked great and man do they have energy, I enjoyed watching them much more than I expected. Tamar is a warm and fun person to watch and I did like her, just well I said it already.

The 2nd set was the highlight for my friend Joe, who I mentioned, as the first song was Beautiful Strange (awesome performance)! Second song was Red Head Stepchild and if I'm not mistaken, they left the stage again for a bit.

3rd set started off with Te Amo Corazon and then Fury, followed by Purple Rain and Let's Go Crazy.

I'm sure I'm missing some songs, but keep in mind this was only supposed to be a 30 minute performance, that ended up more like 45 mins. He probably didn't mean to do 3 sets, but as someone mentions, there was some technical problems with the guitar's wireless system I believe.

After the show, everyone had to leave the store due to fire marshall's orders and then a line formed outside to get back in to buy the new cd after the equipment was broken down. Due to my parking meter, I headed right home. It was an awesome time and I'm so glad I lucked out and caught it.



[Edited 3/21/06 2:09am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 03/21/06 1:56am

Romera

Cool report Marcel. Thank you. clapping
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 03/21/06 1:57am

Romera

Snap said:

HeyJude said:

So pissed... I live three blocks away... Got myself out of bed... Shlepped over in the rain... The line is INSANE at 10pm... No way anyone else is getting in... Stay home.

Sucks that radio stations announce events like these to thousands of non-fans... oh well... Hopefully there will be plenty of Hollyrock shows this year!!
[Edited 3/20/06 22:28pm]


you mean we didn't hear it first from NPGMC?
shocker
actually I read it there before I read it on here.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 03/21/06 2:02am

tricky2

The Set List:
Partyman
It's Alright
Play That Funky Music (yes the 70's song)
Rock Steady
Beautiful Strange
Redhead Stepchild

Te Amore Corazon
Fury
Purple Rain
Let's Go Crazy

Prince was pissed of and stopped the show a couple of times. His guitar "gear" kept cutting out and making him very mad! mad

He's not going to play if it ain't sounding right. I respect that. He stayed to the right of the floor (yes he was on the floor and the band was on the riser), Sheila E at the left and Tamar and the BEAUTIFUL eek TWINS!! OMYGOD!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 03/21/06 2:05am

softandwet

Romera said:

Snap said:



you mean we didn't hear it first from NPGMC?
shocker
actually I read it there before I read it on here.



I also think Snap owes the original poster an apology for saying they were a liar when they were telling the truth!
And to be fair to the NPGMC, what would the point be of Prince doing instore appearances if it was always full of hardcore fans from his fanclub, it wouldn't be promoting anything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 03/21/06 2:07am

softandwet

Cheers for the report Marcel, I'm very happy for you (while more than a little jealous, I hope your argument with your wife didn't spoil it! God what a dilemma eh!), you're one of the nicer posters on the board so it's nice to see you got in!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 03/21/06 2:10am

jn2

jayARDAHB said:

Somebody... bootleg this shit!!!
nod I'm sure that the new songs will kick ass live.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 03/21/06 2:13am

MarcelJ

avatar

softandwet said:

Cheers for the report Marcel, I'm very happy for you (while more than a little jealous, I hope your argument with your wife didn't spoil it! God what a dilemma eh!), you're one of the nicer posters on the board so it's nice to see you got in!


Thanks, she calmed down and was happy for me. I think she was more upset at herself for getting out of line. When the line started moving, I tried 3 times to get her on her cell, but she must've been paying for her coffee. We are already laughing about it, so all is well. She's not a big fan, but she loves Te Amo and I had told her I hope he doesn't play it for her sake and sure enough he had to do it! By the way, Fury kicked absolute butt!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 03/21/06 2:14am

CandaceS

avatar

MarcelJ said:

...After the show, everyone had to leave the store due to fire marshall's orders...


lol

Great report Marcel, thanks for sharing! cool
"I would say that Prince's top thirty percent is great. Of that thirty percent, I'll bet the public has heard twenty percent of it." - Susan Rogers, "Hunting for Prince's Vault", BBC, 2015
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 03/21/06 2:15am

IstenSzek

avatar

"Beautiful Strange"

headbang

was it a short version? or the one he did at the ONA aftershows
(about 10 minutes long with psychedelic guitar madness)?

drool
and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 03/21/06 2:16am

MarcelJ

avatar

prodigalfan said:

What is the purple wristband about?
Where do you get one?
I don't want to be standing in a line and asked "where is your band?"


They handed the wristbands out early, like around 9:30. There ended up being two lines, ones with bands and ones who came late. They ended up filling the back area up with folks who hung around, but not everyone got in. It was funny seeing license plates in the parking lot like hotwitu and 17days. A lotta purple people were there!
[Edited 3/21/06 2:20am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 03/21/06 2:17am

MarcelJ

avatar

IstenSzek said:

"Beautiful Strange"

headbang

was it a short version? or the one he did at the ONA aftershows
(about 10 minutes long with psychedelic guitar madness)?

drool


Hmm, I'd have to clock this one at 5-6 minutes or so. It was a great version! He ripped it up! My friend Joe is a great guitar player and gigs constantly here in LA. He said he could have left after Beautiful Strange, he LOVES that track!
[Edited 3/21/06 2:19am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 03/21/06 2:20am

IstenSzek

avatar

MarcelJ said:

IstenSzek said:

"Beautiful Strange"

headbang

was it a short version? or the one he did at the ONA aftershows
(about 10 minutes long with psychedelic guitar madness)?

drool


Hmm, I'd have to clock this one at 5-6 minutes or so. It was a great version! He ripped it up! My friend Joe is a great guitar player and gigs constantly here in LA. He was ready to go after Beautiful Strange, he LOVES that track!


bananadance headbang bananadance

oooh i'm so excited. i hope he starts playing this at his regular shows
on the next tour. together with stuff like Calhoun Sq. It's time he got
round to picking some new classics for his live gigs.

bye bye Raspberry Beret/Take Me With You and hello Calhoun Sq/Dolphin woot!
and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 03/21/06 2:25am

darklotus69

so i got to sing play that funky music onstage with prince and wow it was the highlite of my life what a greats how defenitly worth standing outside in the downpoor i met some grate ne people and saw my usual bumpsquad family i love yall wow im stil speachless if ne one got this no matter what quality pics audio whatever please org note me thanks soo much 3121 the place were dreams come true!!!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 03/21/06 2:30am

MarcelJ

avatar

darklotus69 said:

so i got to sing play that funky music onstage with prince and wow it was the highlite of my life what a greats how defenitly worth standing outside in the downpoor i met some grate ne people and saw my usual bumpsquad family i love yall wow im stil speachless if ne one got this no matter what quality pics audio whatever please org note me thanks soo much 3121 the place were dreams come true!!!!!


Darklotus69 that was you? You did alright dude. Prince was cracking up, it was funny when you looked over at him while you were singing and grabbed the mic off the stand for a bit to hold it. I hope someone took your picture somehow!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 03/21/06 2:53am

Zelaira

True that LA People are EVEN LUCKIER than us FLORIDA FOLKS. He has played so Many times to YOU ALL. What a TREAT! SO JEALOUS and I am SURE the MINNESOTANS and NYERS are JEALOUS TOO, BUT I REALIZE the ENTERTAINMENT CAPITOL is LA....Hope You ALL as I KNOW YOU DID HAD a BLAST.....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 03/21/06 3:10am

CalhounSq

avatar

GAT DAYUM LA got some lucky muthafuckas!!! excited Princey wants to sell the SHIT outta this one!! lol clapping
heart prince I never met you, but I LOVE you & I will forever!! Thank you for being YOU - my little Princey, the best to EVER do it prince heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 03/21/06 3:16am

Zelaira

He is CHOCOLATE MINT SUPREME and I THINK it's gonna B his HOT ROCK this ONE.....SO HAPPY as I Have ALWAYS PRAYED a MAJOR COMEBACK for the ONE I ALWAYS CALLED HERO.....THE FOXIEST MOST TALENTED SHOWMAN OF ALL TIME. biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 03/21/06 3:23am

GDB

I was there earlier at Tower Records and just wanted to share my experience with you all. I received a call from my brother, who is a major Prince fan, that he was rumored to be at Tower Sunset at midnight. I couldn't believe that Prince would do an in-store appearance at such a relatively small venue, and I know he doesn't do autograph sessions, so I was skeptical at best...but decided to venture out for the hell of it, if for nothing else to pick up the CD and jam it in the ride on the way home. I get up to the store around 11:20pm or so, and it's obvious that something major besides a midnight sale is going on. The line is snaked from the front door, all the way round the back of the parking lot, all the way back around to Sunset...I park and get to the lot where a guy confirms that yes, Prince is inside and is going to perform (I could hear the cheer when his limo arrived down the block as I was parking). At that moment, store personnel/security are out barking at people that no one else is getting in, to go home and clear the lot or else the sheriffs will be called, blah blah blah. People are not moving! A few more people at the front of the line are let in, then people who weren't even in line get to enter from the Sunset side; I think they had wristbands or special passes. People are pissed, a woman up front is crying inconsolably. Someone associated with Prince's band comes out and scours the line as if we're behind a velvet rope, choosing people at random to go inside. It's not organized at all. Much of the line finally begins to break up.

Something tells me to hang out and wait, even though we're constantly threatened to vacate the premises because no one else is getting in...yet it seems like every few minutes someone gets to go inside. Ananda Lewis from MTV rolls up and is escorted in through the back. Perry Ferrell of Jane's Addiction/Porno For Pyros rolls up in a Benz and after much arguing, is let inside the lot. I'm chatting with some guys from Victorville, which is two hours away from LA, who came just to get the CD but because the store is blocked off, they can't even buy it. The music has started and we hear "Partyman," then later "Play That Funky Music," whenever they open the doors. It sounds so sharp, so clear I can't believe I'm missing it. We're like damn, they could at least crack the doors so we can hear it outside...security is still tripping trying to get the lot cleared of everyone.

Then a cat from the store comes out as another lady leaves. Side note: several people were leaving here and there, probably because the music was too loud, or because they were expecting something else and Prince was just ripping it up on his guitar. So I ask the dude "Hey, that lady just left; can I take her spot? A lot of people have left, we've been waiting out here a long time..." Which wasn't exactly true for me, as I arrived so late. Dude says he can't do anything but he was leaving in a few minutes and would give me his pass when he did. I cannot believe this. He goes back into the store to check on getting CDs for some of the guys outside waiting...then, HE TAKES OFF HIS PASS AND GIVES IT TO ME!!! Now, security has been tripping all night so I'm not guaranteed of anything...but I bolt for the door, flash the pass and say, "Am I cool?" Big dude just moves aside enough for me to go inside. I am in!!!

This is at the first break, just before "Beautiful Strange." I'm tripping like, is it over already and I just got in? But no. Now, I play guitar...scratch that, I thought I could play before I heard Prince tonight. Dude is absolutely shredding the most intense, beautiful, incendiary electric guitar I've ever heard in my life and I've seen most of the top guitar stars of the past 20 years. Jaw-dropping. Then, "Red Head Stepchild." Insane. Another break, and my night would have been made then if that was it. I'm at the counter buying the CD before the rush, when "Te Amo Corazon" begins wafting throughout the room. Beautiful, gorgeous music. I actually can see Prince in his white fedora through cracks in the crowd. He's so tiny that since he's on the floor and not elevated, you literally could not see him if you were in back. From there he decimates the gentle Spanish rhythms and descends into "Fury," which is just killer; reminds me of "Peach" from some years back. Then everyone loses it as he starts "Purple Rain" ("I've got ta do it, y'all" he says), then closes with "Let's Go Crazy." And trip; after tearing off the faces of everyone within contact of his sound, he hands the damned guitar...THE guitar, the Tele he's played for decades...to some cat in the front row. And then turns and walks off through the doors to the limo waiting out back.

Of course, one of Prince's people gets the guitar...probably for the dude's best interest because that guitar would NOT have survived out the door. It would have wound up like one of Jimi's guitars, in pieces...

This man is the greatest musician on the planet at the moment, playing at the height of his powers. The greatest rock star of his generation. It was an honor and blessing to be within his space tonight and I cannot wait for the tour to begin.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 03/21/06 3:30am

u2prnce

GDB said:

I was there earlier at Tower Records and just wanted to share my experience with you all. I received a call from my brother, who is a major Prince fan, that he was rumored to be at Tower Sunset at midnight. I couldn't believe that Prince would do an in-store appearance at such a relatively small venue, and I know he doesn't do autograph sessions, so I was skeptical at best...but decided to venture out for the hell of it, if for nothing else to pick up the CD and jam it in the ride on the way home. I get up to the store around 11:20pm or so, and it's obvious that something major besides a midnight sale is going on. The line is snaked from the front door, all the way round the back of the parking lot, all the way back around to Sunset...I park and get to the lot where a guy confirms that yes, Prince is inside and is going to perform (I could hear the cheer when his limo arrived down the block as I was parking). At that moment, store personnel/security are out barking at people that no one else is getting in, to go home and clear the lot or else the sheriffs will be called, blah blah blah. People are not moving! A few more people at the front of the line are let in, then people who weren't even in line get to enter from the Sunset side; I think they had wristbands or special passes. People are pissed, a woman up front is crying inconsolably. Someone associated with Prince's band comes out and scours the line as if we're behind a velvet rope, choosing people at random to go inside. It's not organized at all. Much of the line finally begins to break up.

Something tells me to hang out and wait, even though we're constantly threatened to vacate the premises because no one else is getting in...yet it seems like every few minutes someone gets to go inside. Ananda Lewis from MTV rolls up and is escorted in through the back. Perry Ferrell of Jane's Addiction/Porno For Pyros rolls up in a Benz and after much arguing, is let inside the lot. I'm chatting with some guys from Victorville, which is two hours away from LA, who came just to get the CD but because the store is blocked off, they can't even buy it. The music has started and we hear "Partyman," then later "Play That Funky Music," whenever they open the doors. It sounds so sharp, so clear I can't believe I'm missing it. We're like damn, they could at least crack the doors so we can hear it outside...security is still tripping trying to get the lot cleared of everyone.

Then a cat from the store comes out as another lady leaves. Side note: several people were leaving here and there, probably because the music was too loud, or because they were expecting something else and Prince was just ripping it up on his guitar. So I ask the dude "Hey, that lady just left; can I take her spot? A lot of people have left, we've been waiting out here a long time..." Which wasn't exactly true for me, as I arrived so late. Dude says he can't do anything but he was leaving in a few minutes and would give me his pass when he did. I cannot believe this. He goes back into the store to check on getting CDs for some of the guys outside waiting...then, HE TAKES OFF HIS PASS AND GIVES IT TO ME!!! Now, security has been tripping all night so I'm not guaranteed of anything...but I bolt for the door, flash the pass and say, "Am I cool?" Big dude just moves aside enough for me to go inside. I am in!!!

This is at the first break, just before "Beautiful Strange." I'm tripping like, is it over already and I just got in? But no. Now, I play guitar...scratch that, I thought I could play before I heard Prince tonight. Dude is absolutely shredding the most intense, beautiful, incendiary electric guitar I've ever heard in my life and I've seen most of the top guitar stars of the past 20 years. Jaw-dropping. Then, "Red Head Stepchild." Insane. Another break, and my night would have been made then if that was it. I'm at the counter buying the CD before the rush, when "Te Amo Corazon" begins wafting throughout the room. Beautiful, gorgeous music. I actually can see Prince in his white fedora through cracks in the crowd. He's so tiny that since he's on the floor and not elevated, you literally could not see him if you were in back. From there he decimates the gentle Spanish rhythms and descends into "Fury," which is just killer; reminds me of "Peach" from some years back. Then everyone loses it as he starts "Purple Rain" ("I've got ta do it, y'all" he says), then closes with "Let's Go Crazy." And trip; after tearing off the faces of everyone within contact of his sound, he hands the damned guitar...THE guitar, the Tele he's played for decades...to some cat in the front row. And then turns and walks off through the doors to the limo waiting out back.

Of course, one of Prince's people gets the guitar...probably for the dude's best interest because that guitar would NOT have survived out the door. It would have wound up like one of Jimi's guitars, in pieces...

This man is the greatest musician on the planet at the moment, playing at the height of his powers. The greatest rock star of his generation. It was an honor and blessing to be within his space tonight and I cannot wait for the tour to begin.


Is this the start of the Watch Tower Records Tour? hmm Anybody get saved? Don't worry 'bout me--just bitter.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 03/21/06 3:31am

Anx

Snap said:


you mean we didn't hear it first from NPGMC?
shocker



actually...we did. confused
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 03/21/06 3:42am

CalhounSq

avatar

GDB said:

:::hella shit:::


You lucky little bastard!!! woot!
heart prince I never met you, but I LOVE you & I will forever!! Thank you for being YOU - my little Princey, the best to EVER do it prince heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince at Tower Records, Sunset Blvd