independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Why Did Rosie Leave the NPG?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/25/21 9:04am

Poplife88

avatar

Why Did Rosie Leave the NPG?

She was such an asset to the D&P album and tour. Did she have a falling out with Prince? I think I remember Prince saying back in the day he wouldn't sing D&P the song unless Rosie was there. Also she sang on a few future songs and was working on a solo Paisley Park album. So it seems Prince loved her voice. But it seemed all of sudden she was out of the mix. Sorry if this is old news, but listening to D&P now made me wonder.

We're gonna need a bigger boat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/25/21 12:33pm

motherfunka

avatar

Rosie wanted to do her own thing after D&P. She worked on her album at Paisley Park and there weren't any issues between her and Prince.

TRUE BLUE
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/25/21 2:27pm

nayroo2002

avatar

Poplife88 said:

She was such an asset to the D&P album and tour. Did she have a falling out with Prince? I think I remember Prince saying back in the day he wouldn't sing D&P the song unless Rosie was there. Also she sang on a few future songs and was working on a solo Paisley Park album. So it seems Prince loved her voice. But it seemed all of sudden she was out of the mix. Sorry if this is old news, but listening to D&P now made me wonder.

You've been here for hundreds of months, surely you know the story by now?

"Whatever skin Ur in
we all need 2 b friends"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/25/21 3:32pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

https://youtu.be/i3ubsTEEJ14

Why Rosie Gaines Left Prince and the NPG - New Power Generation

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
https://www.youtube.com/w...7Xc21b6BYE
Keep Looking
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/26/21 6:12am

Poplife88

avatar

nayroo2002 said:

Poplife88 said:

She was such an asset to the D&P album and tour. Did she have a falling out with Prince? I think I remember Prince saying back in the day he wouldn't sing D&P the song unless Rosie was there. Also she sang on a few future songs and was working on a solo Paisley Park album. So it seems Prince loved her voice. But it seemed all of sudden she was out of the mix. Sorry if this is old news, but listening to D&P now made me wonder.

You've been here for hundreds of months, surely you know the story by now?

We're gonna need a bigger boat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/26/21 6:12am

Poplife88

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

https://youtu.be/i3ubsTEEJ14

Why Rosie Gaines Left Prince and the NPG - New Power Generation

Thanks

We're gonna need a bigger boat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/26/21 6:15am

Poplife88

avatar

FYI...to address the snarky response. D&P and Symbol are the low points of my Prince-fandom. Never been a huge fan of this era and, at the time, didn't pay much attention. Ask me about 79 to 88, then 95 and onward. A bit of black hole for me during the early 90s.

We're gonna need a bigger boat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/26/21 8:31am

Empress

Poplife88 said:

FYI...to address the snarky response. D&P and Symbol are the low points of my Prince-fandom. Never been a huge fan of this era and, at the time, didn't pay much attention. Ask me about 79 to 88, then 95 and onward. A bit of black hole for me during the early 90s.



That's too bad. Those 2 albums are fantastic and so much fun to listen to. I still listen to them regularly today.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/26/21 10:30am

Poplife88

avatar

Empress said:

Poplife88 said:

FYI...to address the snarky response. D&P and Symbol are the low points of my Prince-fandom. Never been a huge fan of this era and, at the time, didn't pay much attention. Ask me about 79 to 88, then 95 and onward. A bit of black hole for me during the early 90s.

That's too bad. Those 2 albums are fantastic and so much fun to listen to. I still listen to them regularly today.

I've been re-visiting them the past few weeks as I saw D&P is the next in line for the deluxe treatment. I can't remember the last time I listened to either in their entirety (thus the ignorance about what happened in this era). But I'm liking D&P much more than Symbol...and I think its due to Rosie's presence. Symbol is just a bloated mess imo and I REALLY miss her voice. I do like some of the songs more than I remember, but as a whole I don't think I will ever warm up to that one.

[Edited 3/26/21 10:31am]

We're gonna need a bigger boat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/26/21 12:12pm

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

they worked together after that though, didn't they? she's also on Chaos & Disorder and Emancipation

If U're lookin 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard - Plant some Peace Flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/26/21 8:27pm

SoulAlive

Rosie spent much of 1992 and 1993 working on her solo album.Prince was heavily involved.It was finally given a release date (March 1994) but unfortunately,Warners shut down Paisley Park Records around that time.Rosie was pissed.In a mid-90s interview,she said “My album didn’t come out because I wasn’t sleeping with Prince” eek I think she was implying that more attention was given to Carmen Elektra and she wasn’t happy about that.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/26/21 11:01pm

Margot

She was done wrong. Loved her voice.

Anyone know how she's doing? She was very ill (diabetes) several years ago.

[Edited 3/26/21 23:02pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/27/21 9:36am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Rosie spent much of 1992 and 1993 working on her solo album.Prince was heavily involved.It was finally given a release date (March 1994) but unfortunately,Warners shut down Paisley Park Records around that time.Rosie was pissed.In a mid-90s interview,she said “My album didn’t come out because I wasn’t sleeping with Prince” eek I think she was implying that more attention was given to Carmen Elektra and she wasn’t happy about that.


it would have been better for him to focus more on the Rosie record and give her a few more killer tunes since people already knew and liked her from the Diamonds & Pearls album which sold so many millions of copies and had put her right there in people's homes and minds. Another marketing fumble. He just moved too quickly and always grew tired too soon with (often) great ideas and projects.



If U're lookin 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard - Plant some Peace Flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/27/21 3:13pm

bsprout

Don’t know what happened with Rosie and the NPG. I wish there was more of her in Prince’s oeuvre. I’ve always been a fan and I love her voice. I hope she’s well.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/27/21 6:18pm

OperatingTheta
n

LILpoundCAKE said:

they worked together after that though, didn't they? she's also on Chaos & Disorder and Emancipation



Rosie was also a guest on-stage at the Rave Un2 the Year 2000 concert. A new version of her song 'Hit U in the Socket' was also featured as part of the first year of the NPGMC.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/28/21 5:50am

RJOrion

Margot said:

She was done wrong. Loved her voice.


Anyone know how she's doing? She was very ill (diabetes) several years ago.

[Edited 3/26/21 23:02pm]




i was wondering the same thing...at one point, media releases were painting the picture that she was in very dire straits...but i havent heard a word about her since...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/28/21 5:54am

RJOrion

werent there stories that Tony M, Damon & Wally were treating her badly, and picking on her about her weight?...and that Prince wouldnt protect her from them?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/28/21 12:10pm

Margot

RJOrion said:

Margot said:

She was done wrong. Loved her voice.

Anyone know how she's doing? She was very ill (diabetes) several years ago.

[Edited 3/26/21 23:02pm]

i was wondering the same thing...at one point, media releases were painting the picture that she was in very dire straits...but i havent heard a word about her since...

Last I heard the purple alumni were raising funds to help her. I think she lives w/her daughter in Pittsburg, CA (Outer east bay area)??

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/29/21 7:18am

kookooman73

RJOrion said:

werent there stories that Tony M, Damon & Wally were treating her badly, and picking on her about her weight?...and that Prince wouldnt protect her from them?

I read that also years ago tho. The Game Boyz were jealous of her increased involvement in the live shows where P was giving her more solo's etc. They teased & called her names then gave her the silent treatment. She was the only female in the band apart from Mayte (who was very young & with P constantly) & therefore felt ostracised. She complained to P who did jack shit about it. Then there was the promised solo album. Loads of material recorded but no release. She was in the NPG for three years & is a multi instrumentalist with a multi octave voice. P should've pushed & promoted her more but when Carmen Electra came along all focus shifted. Warner's initially passed on Carmen's album & it was rumoured that P spent a million dollars of his own money on the video for 'Go Go Dancer' alone. That surely rubbed salt in Rosie's wounds. I love Rosie Gaines & have always thought the situation with P was a huge mistake on his part. When she left he erased her vocals from the Symbol album. Hopefully we will hear these versions someday. P's version of 'I Hear Your Voice' featuring Rosie & her version of 'Pain' are on YouTube. Phenomenal tracks that should of been released years ago.

She then had moderate solo success with her 'Closer Than Close' remix but apparently the producers cut & run & she saw no money from this. Can't help but wonder if all of these situations contributed greatly to her mental health problems. It's really sad.

Hopefully the Diamond & Pearls Superdeluxe will rectify some of this & feature her heavily.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/29/21 7:39am

RJOrion

kookooman73 said:



RJOrion said:


werent there stories that Tony M, Damon & Wally were treating her badly, and picking on her about her weight?...and that Prince wouldnt protect her from them?

I read that also years ago tho. The Game Boyz were jealous of her increased involvement in the live shows where P was giving her more solo's etc. They teased & called her names then gave her the silent treatment. She was the only female in the band apart from Mayte (who was very young & with P constantly) & therefore felt ostracised. She complained to P who did jack shit about it. Then there was the promised solo album. Loads of material recorded but no release. She was in the NPG for three years & is a multi instrumentalist with a multi octave voice. P should've pushed & promoted her more but when Carmen Electra came along all focus shifted. Warner's initially passed on Carmen's album & it was rumoured that P spent a million dollars of his own money on the video for 'Go Go Dancer' alone. That surely rubbed salt in Rosie's wounds. I love Rosie Gaines & have always thought the situation with P was a huge mistake on his part. When she left he erased her vocals from the Symbol album. Hopefully we will hear these versions someday. P's version of 'I Hear Your Voice' featuring Rosie & her version of 'Pain' are on YouTube. Phenomenal tracks that should of been released years ago.


She then had moderate solo success with her 'Closer Than Close' remix but apparently the producers cut & run & she saw no money from this. Can't help but wonder if all of these situations contributed greatly to her mental health problems. It's really sad.


Hopefully the Diamond & Pearls Superdeluxe will rectify some of this & feature her heavily.





wow... thats all so sad... ive alwas been a BIG Rosie Gaines fan too, and i thought she deserved to have a prosperous solo career with or without Prince... its a shame to see that her immense talent (and beauty) wasnt nurtured, supported and promoted properly
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/29/21 8:54am

Margot

RJOrion said:

kookooman73 said:

I read that also years ago tho. The Game Boyz were jealous of her increased involvement in the live shows where P was giving her more solo's etc. They teased & called her names then gave her the silent treatment. She was the only female in the band apart from Mayte (who was very young & with P constantly) & therefore felt ostracised. She complained to P who did jack shit about it. Then there was the promised solo album. Loads of material recorded but no release. She was in the NPG for three years & is a multi instrumentalist with a multi octave voice. P should've pushed & promoted her more but when Carmen Electra came along all focus shifted. Warner's initially passed on Carmen's album & it was rumoured that P spent a million dollars of his own money on the video for 'Go Go Dancer' alone. That surely rubbed salt in Rosie's wounds. I love Rosie Gaines & have always thought the situation with P was a huge mistake on his part. When she left he erased her vocals from the Symbol album. Hopefully we will hear these versions someday. P's version of 'I Hear Your Voice' featuring Rosie & her version of 'Pain' are on YouTube. Phenomenal tracks that should of been released years ago.

She then had moderate solo success with her 'Closer Than Close' remix but apparently the producers cut & run & she saw no money from this. Can't help but wonder if all of these situations contributed greatly to her mental health problems. It's really sad.

Hopefully the Diamond & Pearls Superdeluxe will rectify some of this & feature her heavily.

wow... thats all so sad... ive alwas been a BIG Rosie Gaines fan too, and i thought she deserved to have a prosperous solo career with or without Prince... its a shame to see that her immense talent (and beauty) wasnt nurtured, supported and promoted properly

A broken heart...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/29/21 9:13am

Margot

kookooman73 said:

RJOrion said:

werent there stories that Tony M, Damon & Wally were treating her badly, and picking on her about her weight?...and that Prince wouldnt protect her from them?

I read that also years ago tho. The Game Boyz were jealous of her increased involvement in the live shows where P was giving her more solo's etc. They teased & called her names then gave her the silent treatment. She was the only female in the band apart from Mayte (who was very young & with P constantly) & therefore felt ostracised. She complained to P who did jack shit about it. Then there was the promised solo album. Loads of material recorded but no release. She was in the NPG for three years & is a multi instrumentalist with a multi octave voice. P should've pushed & promoted her more but when Carmen Electra came along all focus shifted. Warner's initially passed on Carmen's album & it was rumoured that P spent a million dollars of his own money on the video for 'Go Go Dancer' alone. That surely rubbed salt in Rosie's wounds. I love Rosie Gaines & have always thought the situation with P was a huge mistake on his part. When she left he erased her vocals from the Symbol album. Hopefully we will hear these versions someday. P's version of 'I Hear Your Voice' featuring Rosie & her version of 'Pain' are on YouTube. Phenomenal tracks that should of been released years ago.

She then had moderate solo success with her 'Closer Than Close' remix but apparently the producers cut & run & she saw no money from this. Can't help but wonder if all of these situations contributed greatly to her mental health problems. It's really sad.

Hopefully the Diamond & Pearls Superdeluxe will rectify some of this & feature her heavily.

Such a tragic story...what was the value-add of the Game Boyz? A bunch of no-talents clogging up the stage IMO.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/29/21 9:41am

RJOrion

Margot said:



kookooman73 said:




RJOrion said:


werent there stories that Tony M, Damon & Wally were treating her badly, and picking on her about her weight?...and that Prince wouldnt protect her from them?

I read that also years ago tho. The Game Boyz were jealous of her increased involvement in the live shows where P was giving her more solo's etc. They teased & called her names then gave her the silent treatment. She was the only female in the band apart from Mayte (who was very young & with P constantly) & therefore felt ostracised. She complained to P who did jack shit about it. Then there was the promised solo album. Loads of material recorded but no release. She was in the NPG for three years & is a multi instrumentalist with a multi octave voice. P should've pushed & promoted her more but when Carmen Electra came along all focus shifted. Warner's initially passed on Carmen's album & it was rumoured that P spent a million dollars of his own money on the video for 'Go Go Dancer' alone. That surely rubbed salt in Rosie's wounds. I love Rosie Gaines & have always thought the situation with P was a huge mistake on his part. When she left he erased her vocals from the Symbol album. Hopefully we will hear these versions someday. P's version of 'I Hear Your Voice' featuring Rosie & her version of 'Pain' are on YouTube. Phenomenal tracks that should of been released years ago.


She then had moderate solo success with her 'Closer Than Close' remix but apparently the producers cut & run & she saw no money from this. Can't help but wonder if all of these situations contributed greatly to her mental health problems. It's really sad.


Hopefully the Diamond & Pearls Superdeluxe will rectify some of this & feature her heavily.




Such a tragic story...what was the value-add of the Game Boyz? A bunch of no-talents clogging up the stage IMO.




dont let Kirk Johnson hear/see you say that...he'll send Dr.Schulenberg after you
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/29/21 9:57am

Margot

lol

RJOrion said:

Margot said:

Such a tragic story...what was the value-add of the Game Boyz? A bunch of no-talents clogging up the stage IMO.

dont let Kirk Johnson hear/see you say that...he'll send Dr.Schulenberg after you

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/29/21 10:16am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

kookooman73 said:

RJOrion said:

werent there stories that Tony M, Damon & Wally were treating her badly, and picking on her about her weight?...and that Prince wouldnt protect her from them?

I read that also years ago tho. The Game Boyz were jealous of her increased involvement in the live shows where P was giving her more solo's etc. They teased & called her names then gave her the silent treatment. She was the only female in the band apart from Mayte (who was very young & with P constantly) & therefore felt ostracised. She complained to P who did jack shit about it. Then there was the promised solo album. Loads of material recorded but no release. She was in the NPG for three years & is a multi instrumentalist with a multi octave voice. P should've pushed & promoted her more but when Carmen Electra came along all focus shifted. Warner's initially passed on Carmen's album & it was rumoured that P spent a million dollars of his own money on the video for 'Go Go Dancer' alone. That surely rubbed salt in Rosie's wounds. I love Rosie Gaines & have always thought the situation with P was a huge mistake on his part. When she left he erased her vocals from the Symbol album. Hopefully we will hear these versions someday. P's version of 'I Hear Your Voice' featuring Rosie & her version of 'Pain' are on YouTube. Phenomenal tracks that should of been released years ago.

She then had moderate solo success with her 'Closer Than Close' remix but apparently the producers cut & run & she saw no money from this. Can't help but wonder if all of these situations contributed greatly to her mental health problems. It's really sad.

Hopefully the Diamond & Pearls Superdeluxe will rectify some of this & feature her heavily.



I thought it was always said that she left the band before he started to compile that album and wasn't on vocals for any of those songs? Do you know where you heard/read/got that information?


If U're lookin 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard - Plant some Peace Flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/29/21 11:28am

Margot

LILpoundCAKE said:

kookooman73 said:

I read that also years ago tho. The Game Boyz were jealous of her increased involvement in the live shows where P was giving her more solo's etc. They teased & called her names then gave her the silent treatment. She was the only female in the band apart from Mayte (who was very young & with P constantly) & therefore felt ostracised. She complained to P who did jack shit about it. Then there was the promised solo album. Loads of material recorded but no release. She was in the NPG for three years & is a multi instrumentalist with a multi octave voice. P should've pushed & promoted her more but when Carmen Electra came along all focus shifted. Warner's initially passed on Carmen's album & it was rumoured that P spent a million dollars of his own money on the video for 'Go Go Dancer' alone. That surely rubbed salt in Rosie's wounds. I love Rosie Gaines & have always thought the situation with P was a huge mistake on his part. When she left he erased her vocals from the Symbol album. Hopefully we will hear these versions someday. P's version of 'I Hear Your Voice' featuring Rosie & her version of 'Pain' are on YouTube. Phenomenal tracks that should of been released years ago.

She then had moderate solo success with her 'Closer Than Close' remix but apparently the producers cut & run & she saw no money from this. Can't help but wonder if all of these situations contributed greatly to her mental health problems. It's really sad.

Hopefully the Diamond & Pearls Superdeluxe will rectify some of this & feature her heavily.



I thought it was always said that she left the band before he started to compile that album and wasn't on vocals for any of those songs? Do you know where you heard/read/got that information?


I also seem to remember she could not get out of her contract.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/29/21 11:32am

cb70

kookooman73 said:

Hopefully the Diamond & Pearls Superdeluxe will rectify some of this & feature her heavily.

I see what you did there.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/29/21 12:49pm

SoulAlive

I think Rosie’s time with the NPG was too brief.She is one of the best things about the Diamonds and Pearls album.Her vocals really ignited many of those songs.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/29/21 1:05pm

RJOrion

cb70 said:



kookooman73 said:


Hopefully the Diamond & Pearls Superdeluxe will rectify some of this & feature her heavily.




I see what you did there.




Tony M?...is that you
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/29/21 1:05pm

RJOrion

SoulAlive said:

I think Rosie’s time with the NPG was too brief.She is one of the best things about the Diamonds and Pearls album.Her vocals really ignited many of those songs.




100%
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Why Did Rosie Leave the NPG?