independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 28th Jan 2020 6:26pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > 3rdEyeGirl should keep it going and release an album, go on tour, etc
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/10/20 4:17pm

AvocadosMax

3rdEyeGirl should keep it going and release an album, go on tour, etc

Why haven’t they so far? The 3 girls and Joshua Welton were his most frequent music collaborators the last like 3 years of his life. So they’re important figures in Prince history. Donna and Ida have done solo projects but they should do another record together
[Edited 1/10/20 16:22pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/10/20 4:52pm

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

I'd certainly like to hear all the unreleased songs Prince recorded with 3RDEYEGIRL, particularly the sessions for their second album. 'Indifference' is also stunning and seems to hold the promise that more may have been recorded in that vein.

If they toured, they would need a new vocalist though, and possibly a second guitarist.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/10/20 7:05pm

AvocadosMax

OperatingThetan said:

I'd certainly like to hear all the unreleased songs Prince recorded with 3RDEYEGIRL, particularly the sessions for their second album. 'Indifference' is also stunning and seems to hold the promise that more may have been recorded in that vein. If they toured, they would need a new vocalist though, and possibly a second guitarist.

I'm sure they can find someone. They should reach out.

I would like them to release not only the unreleased tracks from those sessions, but also new material coming from them.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/11/20 6:08am

rogifan

I always felt bad for Donna. Had to be tough playing guitar in a band with Prince. There were a few times he let her take lead in a live show but it was nothing close to what he could do. I'm glad he gave her the opportunity though. I'm sure she learned a lot from him.

Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/12/20 6:19am

Empress

Personally, I'm not interested in the band without Prince. I'm not putting down their musical abilities, but they're not my favourite Prince band, so I don't have any interest in their music without him.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/12/20 7:23am

EmmaMcG

avatar

Empress said:

Personally, I'm not interested in the band without Prince. I'm not putting down their musical abilities, but they're not my favourite Prince band, so I don't have any interest in their music without him.


Yes, I agree with this. Besides, if we're being honest, he did everything on those songs. He wrote them and he produced them. While the 3rd Eye Girls might be talented women in their own right, there's no telling what their own music would sound like without Prince's input. The Time and The Family have both released music without Prince being involved and neither sounded like they did when Prince was in charge. Now, their own music turned out pretty good so there's no reason to suggest that 3rdEyeGirl couldn't turn out a decent album. But I feel that they would miss Prince's guiding hand more than The Original 7 or fDeluxe.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/13/20 12:14pm

ChickenMcNugge
ts

avatar

I'm a big fan of Ida's solo albums (especially love the lyrical wit of tracks like "The Librarian"), so I'd definitely be interested in hearing anything else from them, with or without Prince. I haven't listened to Donna's solo work anything like as much, but it also seemed interesting in a very different way, so there would seem to be some real potential there, if they did work again.

I only finally picked up the vinyl for Plectrumelectrum just a few days ago... shame Ida's solo stuff isn't on that format (as far as I know).

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/14/20 1:14pm

Deadflow3r

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

Empress said:
Personally, I'm not interested in the band without Prince. I'm not putting down their musical abilities, but they're not my favourite Prince band, so I don't have any interest in their music without him.
Yes, I agree with this. Besides, if we're being honest, he did everything on those songs. He wrote them and he produced them. While the 3rd Eye Girls might be talented women in their own right, there's no telling what their own music would sound like without Prince's input. The Time and The Family have both released music without Prince being involved and neither sounded like they did when Prince was in charge. Now, their own music turned out pretty good so there's no reason to suggest that 3rdEyeGirl couldn't turn out a decent album. But I feel that they would miss Prince's guiding hand more than The Original 7 or fDeluxe.

Wendy and Lisa had a chemistry with or without Prince. Prince hand picked these three and he was the glue. Wendy and Lisa could write songs with or without Prince, and lol, they let him know it.

There came a time when the risk of remaining tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. Anais Nin.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/14/20 2:41pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

Deadflow3r said:



EmmaMcG said:


Empress said:
Personally, I'm not interested in the band without Prince. I'm not putting down their musical abilities, but they're not my favourite Prince band, so I don't have any interest in their music without him.

Yes, I agree with this. Besides, if we're being honest, he did everything on those songs. He wrote them and he produced them. While the 3rd Eye Girls might be talented women in their own right, there's no telling what their own music would sound like without Prince's input. The Time and The Family have both released music without Prince being involved and neither sounded like they did when Prince was in charge. Now, their own music turned out pretty good so there's no reason to suggest that 3rdEyeGirl couldn't turn out a decent album. But I feel that they would miss Prince's guiding hand more than The Original 7 or fDeluxe.


Wendy and Lisa had a chemistry with or without Prince. Prince hand picked these three and he was the glue. Wendy and Lisa could write songs with or without Prince, and lol, they let him know it.



Absolutely. I'd be fully on board for a new Revolution album with Andre Cymone on vocals.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > 3rdEyeGirl should keep it going and release an album, go on tour, etc