independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 20th Feb 2020 9:52pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Just got Jesse's new one...early!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/23/09 5:34am

JQuad

avatar

Just got Jesse's new one...early!

Sooooo....I'm in this record store,not walmart,target,best buy,etc....but a record store. Looking for the new live BNH,which I found, while looking I see Jesse's Verbal Penetration in the used cd bin! Neatly wrapped in plastic with a hole punched in the bar code. Needless to say I scooped it up to be bought!

I'm still going through it...but I will say this...the sound bites don't do it justice! So far it's impressive especially with his "Ali v Frasier" cut....never heard Jesse play jazz b4. No credits though...they're gonna be listed on his website!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/23/09 6:02am

DJJillMonroe

avatar

JQuad said:

Sooooo....I'm in this record store,not walmart,target,best buy,etc....but a record store. Looking for the new live BNH,which I found, while looking I see Jesse's Verbal Penetration in the used cd bin! Neatly wrapped in plastic with a hole punched in the bar code. Needless to say I scooped it up to be bought!

I'm still going through it...but I will say this...the sound bites don't do it justice! So far it's impressive especially with his "Ali v Frasier" cut....never heard Jesse play jazz b4. No credits though...they're gonna be listed on his website!



There are credits - listen to the record a bit longer and closer - you'll see them clearly wink
Why You Jive Turkey You....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/26/09 3:19pm

brothaluv

JQuad said:

Sooooo....I'm in this record store,not walmart,target,best buy,etc....but a record store. Looking for the new live BNH,which I found, while looking I see Jesse's Verbal Penetration in the used cd bin! Neatly wrapped in plastic with a hole punched in the bar code. Needless to say I scooped it up to be bought!

I'm still going through it...but I will say this...the sound bites don't do it justice! So far it's impressive especially with his "Ali v Frasier" cut....never heard Jesse play jazz b4. No credits though...they're gonna be listed on his website!


What was it doing in the used cd bin??? Crazy. Anyway, what's your favorite track so far?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/26/09 8:53pm

squirrelgrease

avatar

brothaluv said:

JQuad said:

Sooooo....I'm in this record store,not walmart,target,best buy,etc....but a record store. Looking for the new live BNH,which I found, while looking I see Jesse's Verbal Penetration in the used cd bin! Neatly wrapped in plastic with a hole punched in the bar code. Needless to say I scooped it up to be bought!

I'm still going through it...but I will say this...the sound bites don't do it justice! So far it's impressive especially with his "Ali v Frasier" cut....never heard Jesse play jazz b4. No credits though...they're gonna be listed on his website!


What was it doing in the used cd bin??? Crazy. Anyway, what's your favorite track so far?


It's a promo copy that the store didn't bother to give a spin. That's why a hole was in the barcode.
If prince.org were to be made idiot proof, someone would just invent a better idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/27/09 3:55am

RONNYRON

avatar

"ALI vs FRAZIER"
"BEAUTIFUL SADIE"
"MERCIFUL"...

simply awesome!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/27/09 6:43am

MamaLisa

avatar

anyone hear the intro on the 2nd CD? lol
Music is the power.
Love is the message.
Truth is the answer.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/27/09 11:41am

phunkdaddy

avatar

I got my copy today from a record store in the Carolinas
called Manifest. I can always count on Manifest. I didn't
waste my time going to Best Buy.
Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/27/09 12:06pm

squirrelgrease

avatar

^ They have it at the Best Buy near me for $13.99. hmmm Should I get the new Wolfmother or the JJ CD...
If prince.org were to be made idiot proof, someone would just invent a better idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/27/09 4:52pm

RONNYRON

avatar

squirrelgrease said:

^ They have it at the Best Buy near me for $13.99. hmmm Should I get the new Wolfmother or the JJ CD...



U need some "Verbal Penetration"... it's soulified, funkdafied and shockadelified... cool
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/27/09 7:30pm

squirrelgrease

avatar

RONNYRON said:

squirrelgrease said:

^ They have it at the Best Buy near me for $13.99. hmmm Should I get the new Wolfmother or the JJ CD...



U need some "Verbal Penetration"... it's soulified, funkdafied and shockadelified... cool


Bought them both just a little while ago. Listening to VP Disc 1 right now... very much a Prince/Lenny Kravitz soul vibe.
If prince.org were to be made idiot proof, someone would just invent a better idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/27/09 9:08pm

RONNYRON

avatar

squirrelgrease said:

RONNYRON said:




U need some "Verbal Penetration"... it's soulified, funkdafied and shockadelified... cool


Bought them both just a little while ago. Listening to VP Disc 1 right now... very much a Prince/Lenny Kravitz soul vibe.


If there's a bridge between those 2 - it's JESSE.


cool
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/27/09 9:34pm

squirrelgrease

avatar

RONNYRON said:

squirrelgrease said:



Bought them both just a little while ago. Listening to VP Disc 1 right now... very much a Prince/Lenny Kravitz soul vibe.


If there's a bridge between those 2 - it's JESSE.


cool


It would seem so. I really like the album. It's a different, but not unfamiliar direction for him on this new set.
If prince.org were to be made idiot proof, someone would just invent a better idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/28/09 10:43am

diamondpearl1

phunkdaddy said:

I got my copy today from a record store in the Carolinas
called Manifest. I can always count on Manifest. I didn't
waste my time going to Best Buy.


Hail, Hail, rock 'n roll 4 Manifest Music and Tapes on Broad River Road in Boozer Shopping Center in Columbia, SC. he he It was that place where I found "Bare My Naked Soul" in the used cd bins, and Teena Marie's "Emerald City" in the vnyl crates in the back.
[Edited 10/28/09 10:44am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/28/09 10:53am

funksterr

squirrelgrease said:

RONNYRON said:




U need some "Verbal Penetration"... it's soulified, funkdafied and shockadelified... cool


Bought them both just a little while ago. Listening to VP Disc 1 right now... very much a Prince/Lenny Kravitz soul vibe.


Aww sh*t!! I'm headed to the store RIGHT NOW! biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/28/09 1:38pm

liltalkm

squirrelgrease said:

RONNYRON said:




U need some "Verbal Penetration"... it's soulified, funkdafied and shockadelified... cool


Bought them both just a little while ago. Listening to VP Disc 1 right now... very much a Prince/Lenny Kravitz soul vibe.



The Wolfmother album is hot too! You will be glad you purchased both.

Later
Cause tomorrow is taking too long
and yesterday's too far away
and the reality that you believe in begins to bind.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/28/09 1:56pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

diamondpearl1 said:

phunkdaddy said:

I got my copy today from a record store in the Carolinas
called Manifest. I can always count on Manifest. I didn't
waste my time going to Best Buy.


Hail, Hail, rock 'n roll 4 Manifest Music and Tapes on Broad River Road in Boozer Shopping Center in Columbia, SC. he he It was that place where I found "Bare My Naked Soul" in the used cd bins, and Teena Marie's "Emerald City" in the vnyl crates in the back.
[Edited 10/28/09 10:44am]


Yeah i'm from Columbia but live in Fort Mill near Charlotte so
i go to the store in Charlotte mostly now. I've spent plenty of time in the
Columbia store. I've also picked up some good vinyl in Charlotte
as i picked up Sun's Sunpower on vinyl yesterday along with JJ cd.
Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/28/09 2:03pm

BlaqueKnight

avatar

After listening to the samples, I couldn't wait - had to grab this.
Before I get slammed for downloading, let me profess this RIGHT NOW - I am buying TWO copies of this CD. Its that good.
Now, I can safely say this:
Verbal Penetration > Prince's last 8 CDs. The last CD I was feelin' this much was Van Hunt's On The Jungle Floor and this even trumps that (musically). We're talking the first disc here!
Jesse may not drop them often but when he does, OMFG!
This is the follow-up D'Angelo CD that everybody wants without D'Angelo.
If Prince made this record, he would have the biggest comeback of his career.
Its that good. Jesse raised the bar high as hell!

[Edited 10/28/09 14:04pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/28/09 2:13pm

diamondpearl1

BlaqueKnight said:

After listening to the samples, I couldn't wait - had to grab this.
Before I get slammed for downloading, let me profess this RIGHT NOW - I am buying TWO copies of this CD. Its that good.
Now, I can safely say this:
Verbal Penetration > Prince's last 8 CDs. The last CD I was feelin' this much was Van Hunt's On The Jungle Floor and this even trumps that (musically). We're talking the first disc here!
Jesse may not drop them often but when he does, OMFG!
This is the follow-up D'Angelo CD that everybody wants without D'Angelo.
If Prince made this record, he would have the biggest comeback of his career.
Its that good. Jesse raised the bar high as hell!

[Edited 10/28/09 14:04pm]


Hmmm I dunno man knowin Prince as we know im', I just know he's got an all out funk/rock album in the vaults somewhere waitin 2 be unleashed. Songs like "Planet Earth", "Fury", "Guitar" and his outta nowhere cover of Foo Fighter's "Best Of You" at Superbowl 04' has gotta say so. lol Same goes 4 D'Angelo only I imagine his will be Hip-Hop influenced as much as it is R&B/Funk
[Edited 10/28/09 14:16pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 10/28/09 2:21pm

mushmackalenta

The cheapest I can find this album in the uk is £16.00 which is about $26.00.

It would have to be fucking amazing for me to warrant spending that on it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 10/28/09 2:35pm

BlaqueKnight

avatar

diamondpearl1 said:


Hmmm I dunno man knowin Prince as we know im', I just know he's got an all out funk/rock album in the vaults somewhere waitin 2 be unleashed. Songs like "Planet Earth", "Fury", "Guitar" and his outta nowhere cover of Foo Fighter's "Best Of You" at Superbowl 04' has gotta say so. lol Same goes 4 D'Angelo only I imagine his will be Hip-Hop influenced as much as it is R&B/Funk


None of the Prince songs you named can hold a candle to anything I've heard so far from Jesse's record. You HAVE to hear this record to understand. And the guitar work - OH SHIT!!!!! - its MURDER!
Prince might have some gems left in him here and there, but Jesse's CD is FIRE!
You don't need a CD a year when you drop 'em like this.
The record store near me has ONE copy. I'm going to get it today and put some money in this man's pocket. IT'S THAT GOOD!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 10/28/09 6:22pm

RONNYRON

avatar

BlaqueKnight said:

diamondpearl1 said:


Hmmm I dunno man knowin Prince as we know im', I just know he's got an all out funk/rock album in the vaults somewhere waitin 2 be unleashed. Songs like "Planet Earth", "Fury", "Guitar" and his outta nowhere cover of Foo Fighter's "Best Of You" at Superbowl 04' has gotta say so. lol Same goes 4 D'Angelo only I imagine his will be Hip-Hop influenced as much as it is R&B/Funk


None of the Prince songs you named can hold a candle to anything I've heard so far from Jesse's record. You HAVE to hear this record to understand. And the guitar work - OH SHIT!!!!! - its MURDER!
Prince might have some gems left in him here and there, but Jesse's CD is FIRE!
You don't need a CD a year when you drop 'em like this.
The record store near me has ONE copy. I'm going to get it today and put some money in this man's pocket. IT'S THAT GOOD!


4 me, it's a WIN/WIN situation,

in 1996...

CHAOS and DISORDER + BARE MY NAKED SOUL

in 2009...

LOTUS FLOW3R/MPLS + VERBAL PENETRATION

who wins? we all do, it's all good... cool
[Edited 10/28/09 18:24pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 10/28/09 7:41pm

squirrelgrease

avatar

liltalkm said:

squirrelgrease said:



Bought them both just a little while ago. Listening to VP Disc 1 right now... very much a Prince/Lenny Kravitz soul vibe.



The Wolfmother album is hot too! You will be glad you purchased both.

Later


I'm blasting Wolfmother's Cosmic Egg (got the 2-Disc) right now. It really is a stomper.
If prince.org were to be made idiot proof, someone would just invent a better idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 10/28/09 7:44pm

squirrelgrease

avatar

My only complaint with Verbal Penetration is the laboriously long non-music interludes. Stuff like that is fine for a couple of listens, but I'll need to trim them off for the iPod.
If prince.org were to be made idiot proof, someone would just invent a better idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 10/28/09 8:02pm

Zannaloaf

BlaqueKnight said:

diamondpearl1 said:


Hmmm I dunno man knowin Prince as we know im', I just know he's got an all out funk/rock album in the vaults somewhere waitin 2 be unleashed. Songs like "Planet Earth", "Fury", "Guitar" and his outta nowhere cover of Foo Fighter's "Best Of You" at Superbowl 04' has gotta say so. lol Same goes 4 D'Angelo only I imagine his will be Hip-Hop influenced as much as it is R&B/Funk


None of the Prince songs you named can hold a candle to anything I've heard so far from Jesse's record. You HAVE to hear this record to understand. And the guitar work - OH SHIT!!!!! - its MURDER!
Prince might have some gems left in him here and there, but Jesse's CD is FIRE!
You don't need a CD a year when you drop 'em like this.
The record store near me has ONE copy. I'm going to get it today and put some money in this man's pocket. IT'S THAT GOOD!

agreed.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 10/28/09 8:06pm

RONNYRON

avatar

squirrelgrease said:

My only complaint with Verbal Penetration is the laboriously long non-music interludes. Stuff like that is fine for a couple of listens, but I'll need to trim them off for the iPod.


Yeah, I pushed them to the end of my configuration...


Verbal Penetration
100 Watts of Funky
Sheila Rae
Slo Burnin
In The Key of Nudity
Ali Vs Frazier
Peace Be With You
Beautiful Sadie
Merciful
Propaganda
Get Next To You
You Have A Friend
Please Don't Go
We R So Strong
U & I R We R Us
Letters From A Soldier
Love Letters
Don't Throw Yourself Away
Meditation 02: Self-Love
Meditation 01: Astrology
Slave 2 R Freedom
Reflections
Redemption For The Soul, Enlightenment For The Earhole




That's my personal listening order.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 10/28/09 9:57pm

Militant

avatar

moderator

ive been trying to find this in stores in Portland, OR. having trouble. what stores did yall get it from?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 10/28/09 10:22pm

BlaqueKnight

avatar

Militant said:

ive been trying to find this in stores in Portland, OR. having trouble. what stores did yall get it from?

You can get it from Tower Records in Portland (if its still there) or try Everyday Music.
[Edited 10/28/09 22:24pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 10/28/09 11:22pm

squirrelgrease

avatar

Militant said:

ive been trying to find this in stores in Portland, OR. having trouble. what stores did yall get it from?


If you have a Best Buy near you, their website tells you if it's in-stock at that store. Just type in your Zip.
If prince.org were to be made idiot proof, someone would just invent a better idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 10/29/09 7:38am

JQuad

avatar

Told y'all! Given his hiatus...this was a nice way for Jesse to return! Hopefully he tours like he says! Besides he had to give us a double disc for makin' us wait so long!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 10/29/09 10:00am

Militant

avatar

moderator

BlaqueKnight said:


You can get it from Tower Records in Portland (if its still there) or try Everyday Music.


Tower Records closed down I think. Tried Everyday Music and neither of the 2 locations in Portland have it.

squirrelgrease said:


If you have a Best Buy near you, their website tells you if it's in-stock at that store. Just type in your Zip.


According to their site, no Best Buy's in the city have it! Looks like I'm just gonna have to order it online, or get a store to get it in. There is Best Buy just 5 minutes walk from here, I'll see if I can get them to get a copy into the store.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Just got Jesse's new one...early!