independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 26th May 2019 11:17am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > TYKA NELSON & DEZ DICKERSON...CONFIRMED SHOW
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/11/09 1:13pm

MoneyMade

TYKA NELSON & DEZ DICKERSON...CONFIRMED SHOW

HOUSTON





MAY 29TH shocked
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/11/09 1:14pm

MoneyMade

MoneyMade said:

HOUSTON





MAY 29TH shocked




MATT FINK...IS BEING WORKED ON 2 JOIN
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/11/09 5:12pm

MoneyMade

MoneyMade said:

MoneyMade said:

HOUSTON





MAY 29TH shocked




MATT FINK...IS BEING WORKED ON 2 JOIN



SOUTHWEST AIR HAS CHEAP FLIGHTS@@@@@

lol




headbang
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/12/09 1:47am

Shango

avatar

Very cool. I remember readng about a former event which Tyka, Dez and Fink also were attending. Tyka was signing her book somewhere in that venue with some
MPLS-cats joining her when they were not onstage. Also great pics of Dez jamming onstage were posted in that org-topic. Have a great time to all who are going !
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/12/09 4:29pm

MoneyMade

Shango said:

Very cool. I remember readng about a former event which Tyka, Dez and Fink also were attending. Tyka was signing her book somewhere in that venue with some
MPLS-cats joining her when they were not onstage. Also great pics of Dez jamming onstage were posted in that org-topic. Have a great time to all who are going !



DEZ WAS THE BEST!!!!!

HE WILL PERFORM A LIVE RENDITION OF BAMBI!!!!! omfg
headbang


--MONEYMADE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/13/09 12:07am

MajesticOne89

avatar

MoneyMade said:

Shango said:

Very cool. I remember readng about a former event which Tyka, Dez and Fink also were attending. Tyka was signing her book somewhere in that venue with some
MPLS-cats joining her when they were not onstage. Also great pics of Dez jamming onstage were posted in that org-topic. Have a great time to all who are going !



DEZ WAS THE BEST!!!!!

HE WILL PERFORM A LIVE RENDITION OF BAMBI!!!!! omfg
headbang


--MONEYMADE


eek eek eek
chill..prince doesnt like men being front row, makes it hard to sing the ballads
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/13/09 2:15pm

PaisleyRose

I don't see the show on Ticketmaster.
PaisleyRose was here rose
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/13/09 4:57pm

MoneyMade

PaisleyRose said:

I don't see the show on Ticketmaster.



It will be updated very soon.

takes 24hrs.

But it is now on Meridian's website
http://www.meridianhousto...fault.aspx
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/17/09 10:31am

MoneyMade

MoneyMade said:

PaisleyRose said:

I don't see the show on Ticketmaster.



It will be updated very soon.

takes 24hrs.

But it is now on Meridian's website
http://www.meridianhousto...fault.aspx


SOME DEZ & FINK 2GETHER

http://www.imeem.com/peop...sic-video/ headbang
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/17/09 6:20pm

PaisleyRose

cool
[Edited 5/19/09 18:08pm]
PaisleyRose was here rose
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/23/09 5:12am

MoneyMade

PaisleyRose said:

cool
[Edited 5/19/09 18:08pm]



Dr Fink has been added to the show! Weeeee! lol excited

http://www.myspace.com/ashad0
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/23/09 2:15pm

Joininthedance

I must be in the dark ages lol
When did Tyka and Dez get together?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/26/09 9:12pm

PaisleyRose

Will someone please post a detailed review of the show?


Pretty Please... flower
PaisleyRose was here rose
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/28/09 6:21am

RodeoSchro

avatar

This is my wife's birthday. ARGHHHHH.

She's cool, but not THAT cool.
Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/28/09 2:29pm

MoneyMade

RodeoSchro said:

This is my wife's birthday. ARGHHHHH.

She's cool, but not THAT cool.



MATT FINK....THE MASTER ARRIVING IN HOUSTON, READY TO PERFORM
HOPPING OUT THE BLACK AMG 500

1 MORE DAY
TICKETMASTER.COM



http://www.myspace.com/ashad0
[Edited 5/28/09 14:31pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/28/09 3:02pm

MoneyMade

.....Dez just called me, says he's boarding plane now.


THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED.



1 MORE DAY

TICKETMASTER.COM



http://www.myspace.com/ashad0
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/28/09 8:36pm

MoneyMade

=====
DEZ DICKERSON ARRIVES IN HOUSTON.....PICS BELOW

WE AWAIT ONE MORE.....


"The Revolution will not be televised."
HOUSTON MAY 29
THE MERIDIAN
830PM
TICKETMASTER.COM


DEZ DICKERSON, UNLOADING HIS HOLY FENDER STRATOCASTER

FROM THE TRUNK OF MY CAR.



HTTP://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/ASHAD0


http://www.myspace.com/ashad0[/quote]
[Edited 5/28/09 20:36pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/30/09 8:18am

MoneyMade

MY FRIEND POET....CAME ALL THE WAY FROM DENMARK!!!!
this is true true purple 1...Prince would have been proud of U Poet

I think we have poet on the DVD we shot...She's great and
thanks again Poet and orgers everywhere. Going to go wake up Dez now
he's probably still sleep to take to airport.Shhhhh be verrrrry quiet.
It's all on the DVD i'm sure.

Poet meeting up with Fink before the show





http://www.myspace.com/ashad0
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/31/09 4:31pm

Joininthedance

And? Did anyone see it? What happened? lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/31/09 9:07pm

VelvetJ

avatar

OK, I will say a few words about the show.

First of all, let me thank MoneyMade for bringing them to Houston. It was a memorable experience that I will never forget and will be forever greatful. However with that said, the turnout was weak at best, and that is because very few people knew about the show. In fact, I found out by accident and had really only one days notice. Personally, I don't think there was enough time to really advertise...but that's just me.

I think there were about 15 people in the venue? Very few. But let me say, that house band (Rick Marcel Band) was AWESOME nontheless.

I will do my best to recall the songs.


Matt Fink performed first and if I recall correctly, these were the songs performed:

1999, I Wanna Be Your Lover, When You Were Mine, Purple Rain, DMSR, Kiss (The Band was great so every song was on point despite not being able to really hear Matt's solo's).



Dez Dickerson performed next (Matt Fink joined for the last few songs):


Jimi Hendrix song (forgot the title).

A song I was not familiar with.

Bambi- Aboslutely Incredible version

Modenaire (the entire version)- Was great hearing this and actually hearing him sing it.

Head- great version

Little Red Corvette- Dez reluctantly did it but did not appear comfortable because they had not rehearsed that song. It turned out to be better than I think he expected.


Then Tyka Nelson performed:

I apologize but I don't recall the names of any of her songs, however they were descent songs. A couple of them really stood out and I would say on about half of the songs performed, Prince was clearly audible on the background vocals. She didn't have a band and basically sang live along to the backing track with two live background singers. While I would not describe her voice as one of the best, I would buy her CD. Oh by the way, she ended with "I Would Die 4 U"

After Tyka, the House Band returned along with Matt Fink for the encore:
Do Me Baby, Take Me with U, Let's Go Crazy.( Great versions of them all)

The Highlight of the whole thing was my getting to meet Matt Fink who was very nice to my brother and myself. In fact he gave us autographed copies of his CD which was super nice. We also got to meet Dez who was also cool to us.

Lastly, let me say....That House Band (RICK MARCEL BAND) was one of the best I've heard. If that Brotha has nothing else, he has talent. Vocally, and guitar-wise, I have never heard anyone come so close to sounding like Prince. I know he was purposefully doing so, but he was the best Prince "imitator" I've ever heard. The falsetto, the high notes, and the infamous Prince tenor scream were all his Friday night. And just the overall musicianship was great. I think they even impressed Matt Fink, Dez, and Tyka. Rick Marcel has a new fan.

The review may not sound like much, but Overall I am glad I went to the show and would encourage everyone to go see them if such a thing happens again. I was disappointed about the turnout but can understand because of such short notice and lack of advertising. Either way, I am thankful for the experience. Thanks again "MoneyMade".

*note* I left some of the craziness out wink .
I am convinced Beyonce's career would not be where it is, if she had dark skin.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/01/09 2:30pm

Joininthedance

Hey, the craziness might be the best part! lol

Just kidding, it was nice of you to give us a snyopsis, thanks...

I'm not a Tyka fan really, so I probably wouldn't have known
any of her songs either...but I am a Dez fan, for sure.

Too bad the turnout was small....all 3 of them will be in
Minneapolis performing this weekend though, along with many
other Prince proteges and former band members so that turn-out
I think should be good.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/01/09 5:42pm

MoneyMade

VelvetJ said:

OK, I will say a few words about the show.

First of all, let me thank MoneyMade for bringing them to Houston. It was a memorable experience that I will never forget and will be forever greatful. However with that said, the turnout was weak at best, and that is because very few people knew about the show. In fact, I found out by accident and had really only one days notice. Personally, I don't think there was enough time to really advertise...but that's just me.

I think there were about 15 people in the venue? Very few. But let me say, that house band (Rick Marcel Band) was AWESOME nontheless.

I will do my best to recall the songs.


Matt Fink performed first and if I recall correctly, these were the songs performed:

1999, I Wanna Be Your Lover, When You Were Mine, Purple Rain, DMSR, Kiss (The Band was great so every song was on point despite not being able to really hear Matt's solo's).



Dez Dickerson performed next (Matt Fink joined for the last few songs):


Jimi Hendrix song (forgot the title).

A song I was not familiar with.

Bambi- Aboslutely Incredible version

Modenaire (the entire version)- Was great hearing this and actually hearing him sing it.

Head- great version

Little Red Corvette- Dez reluctantly did it but did not appear comfortable because they had not rehearsed that song. It turned out to be better than I think he expected.


Then Tyka Nelson performed:

I apologize but I don't recall the names of any of her songs, however they were descent songs. A couple of them really stood out and I would say on about half of the songs performed, Prince was clearly audible on the background vocals. She didn't have a band and basically sang live along to the backing track with two live background singers. While I would not describe her voice as one of the best, I would buy her CD. Oh by the way, she ended with "I Would Die 4 U"

After Tyka, the House Band returned along with Matt Fink for the encore:
Do Me Baby, Take Me with U, Let's Go Crazy.( Great versions of them all)

The Highlight of the whole thing was my getting to meet Matt Fink who was very nice to my brother and myself. In fact he gave us autographed copies of his CD which was super nice. We also got to meet Dez who was also cool to us.

Lastly, let me say....That House Band (RICK MARCEL BAND) was one of the best I've heard. If that Brotha has nothing else, he has talent. Vocally, and guitar-wise, I have never heard anyone come so close to sounding like Prince. I know he was purposefully doing so, but he was the best Prince "imitator" I've ever heard. The falsetto, the high notes, and the infamous Prince tenor scream were all his Friday night. And just the overall musicianship was great. I think they even impressed Matt Fink, Dez, and Tyka. Rick Marcel has a new fan.

The review may not sound like much, but Overall I am glad I went to the show and would encourage everyone to go see them if such a thing happens again. I was disappointed about the turnout but can understand because of such short notice and lack of advertising. Either way, I am thankful for the experience. Thanks again "MoneyMade".

*note* I left some of the craziness out wink .


Thanks for coming and being one of the lucky few as you say LOL
WE DID IT FIRST....WHO CARES ABOUT 2ND...IT'S BEING 1ST THAT COUNTS
Believe me buddy..over 10,000 people will see this.
If you were at the show you'd know it was video tapped as a promo for the
what's coming next. HENCE --MONEYMADE
[Edited 6/1/09 17:59pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > TYKA NELSON & DEZ DICKERSON...CONFIRMED SHOW