independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 18th Jun 2019 12:51am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Concerts > Did you go to one of Prince's Piano and a Microphone shows?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/24/16 6:31pm

shoeproblem

avatar

Did you go to one of Prince's Piano and a Microphone shows?

I attended the 7pm & 10pm shows at the Fox in Atlanta. THERE ARE NO WORDS to express the way I feel about that night. All I know is I floated home and I consider myself one of the luckiest humans on the planet.

I would LOVE to hear stories from other attendees! I'll share my entire story another day. It's pretty incredible but very long (e.g., I wasn't able to buy tickets for the 7pm show until late afternoon on April 13th and bought tickets for the 10pm show from the box office after the 7pm show)! Please share your stories.
"Everybody's looking 4 the answers. How the story started and how it will end. What's the use in half a story..." 0(+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/24/16 6:35pm

stuart3121

I brought my wife to the first show at Paisley Park, it was her first and only Prince concert and her only time in Paisley Park. But now with the tours starting we will be going to that and my 7byearold son will be able to go there
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/24/16 6:50pm

FunkiestOne

avatar

I wrote my review here:

http://prince.org/msg/12/423069

It was a magical evening for sure.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/24/16 6:51pm

shoeproblem

avatar

stuart3121 said:

I brought my wife to the first show at Paisley Park, it was her first and only Prince concert and her only time in Paisley Park. But now with the tours starting we will be going to that and my 7byearold son will be able to go there

What a wonderful first Prince performance experience for your wife. It was amazing what he could do with just a piano and a microphone!!! What a great story you both will have to share with family. Although it's been in my heart for decades... wink - I've never been to Paisley Park (I will make it there one day).
"Everybody's looking 4 the answers. How the story started and how it will end. What's the use in half a story..." 0(+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/24/16 7:16pm

shoeproblem

avatar

FunkiestOne said:

I wrote my review here:



http://prince.org/msg/12/423069



It was a magical evening for sure.


Your review took me RIGHT back to that night. Thank you!
"Everybody's looking 4 the answers. How the story started and how it will end. What's the use in half a story..." 0(+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/24/16 7:33pm

MrSquiggle

I was at both Sydney Opera House shows. The first one particularly was incredible. Memories I will treasure forever. The experience was so emotionally overwhelming that it set off a chain of events leading to me realising that I am transgender. One hell of a concert that literally turns you into a woman lol Well I've been a woman all my life, but yeah. I came out to my friends, changed my name to Joni and started dressing female. Two months later, Prince died on my birthday. On a full moon. I wrote about the whole saga over a few installments on my blog https://unapologeticallyp...s-de-milo/

[Edited 8/24/16 19:34pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/24/16 7:36pm

benni

I was at both of the shows in Atlanta, too. He also retweeted me when I commented about the shows. Damn, I miss him.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/24/16 7:45pm

luvgirl

Man, you guys are so freaking lucky...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/24/16 8:03pm

shoeproblem

avatar

benni said:

I was at both of the shows in Atlanta, too. He also retweeted me when I commented about the shows. Damn, I miss him.


benni, I liked your tweet after Prince retweeted it. He did something to me that night as well. I fell asleep that night playing his version of "A Case of U" on repeat.

I've seen him perform several times and loved them all. But April 14, 2016 was above next level! I am profoundly grateful to Prince for flying down here, while feeling bad, and giving us everything he had that night! On the other hand, I would give that night up to have him here, healthy, and with us. I miss him too.
"Everybody's looking 4 the answers. How the story started and how it will end. What's the use in half a story..." 0(+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/24/16 8:10pm

shoeproblem

avatar

MrSquiggle said:

I was at both Sydney Opera House shows. The first one particularly was incredible. Memories I will treasure forever. The experience was so emotionally overwhelming that it set off a chain of events leading to me realising that I am transgender. One hell of a concert that literally turns you into a woman lol Well I've been a woman all my life, but yeah. I came out to my friends, changed my name to Joni and started dressing female. Two months later, Prince died on my birthday. On a full moon. I wrote about the whole saga over a few installments on my blog https://unapologeticallyp...s-de-milo/

[Edited 8/24/16 19:34pm]


MrSquiggle, What a remarkable memory you will always have about that night and your new life! I am still haunted by his performance of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of U" (I love you quote below). I was full on crying when he performed "Sometimes it Snows in April" and "Purple Rain" back to back. Transcending indeed! I was changed as well. I can't wait to read your blog.
"Everybody's looking 4 the answers. How the story started and how it will end. What's the use in half a story..." 0(+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/24/16 8:12pm

shoeproblem

avatar

luvgirl said:

Man, you guys are so freaking lucky...

luvgirl, I hope the recording from that night is released soon. Everyone needs to experience it.
"Everybody's looking 4 the answers. How the story started and how it will end. What's the use in half a story..." 0(+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/26/16 4:00pm

Cindy

I'm fortunate that I attended close to 30 Prince concerts in the past 32 years. As soon as I heard about this one, I was beyond thrilled. Wow, a piano, microphone and Prince! I constantly checked the org anticipating, and knowing, he'd bring this one to Detroit. I live in Canada, but Detroit is only about a 30 minute drive away.

So, I check the org one morning and OMG, he's coming to Toronto. Hmm, Toronto is 4 hours away from here. But, I think to myself, it's just the piano, the microphone and Prince. Hell ya! So, I'm at work and I call my husband and say, Prince is coming to Toronto tomorrow - do you want to go? He immediately, without any hesitation, says "no". I know it was the four hour drive that led to his "no" response. For prior concerts, when I asked if he wanted to go, his usual response was, if you can't find anyone else, I'll go.

I don't know why I was so persistent, because I knew Prince was coming to Detroit, but I talked my wonderful, sweet, best husband in the world, into going to Toronto the next day.

Now, I had to scramble to get tickets. They were already on sale. It was mass panic in my small office, with 3 of us trying to get the best seats possible. Success! I called my darling husband back. He thought we would go to the 7:00 show, because I am a very early riser and would normally prefer the 7:00 show. So, I tell him, we've got 7th row seats to the 10:00 show. He was happy about that. Then I told him "and we've got 3rd row seats to the 7:00 show". You can just imagine his shock.

So, we attended both of those March 25th concerts. (Tears go here).

We've talked about it a lot and he said he could not imagine how badly he would feel now if he had not changed his mind.

Love, love, love, my husband ❤️
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/26/16 4:30pm

paisleymoon

I attended the two shows at Paisley Park, one general admission, one VIP. It was an amazing night, Prince was very candid and they were both wonderful shows. I live sort of in the area and have really been missing Paisley Park events this summer. The show felt very personal and emotional, I never thought I'd get the opportunity to see a show like it! Great variety of songs played....I so miss him!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/27/16 11:29am

shoeproblem

avatar

Cindy said:

I'm fortunate that I attended close to 30 Prince concerts in the past 32 years. As soon as I heard about this one, I was beyond thrilled. Wow, a piano, microphone and Prince! I constantly checked the org anticipating, and knowing, he'd bring this one to Detroit. I live in Canada, but Detroit is only about a 30 minute drive away.

So, I check the org one morning and OMG, he's coming to Toronto. Hmm, Toronto is 4 hours away from here. But, I think to myself, it's just the piano, the microphone and Prince. Hell ya! So, I'm at work and I call my husband and say, Prince is coming to Toronto tomorrow - do you want to go? He immediately, without any hesitation, says "no". I know it was the four hour drive that led to his "no" response. For prior concerts, when I asked if he wanted to go, his usual response was, if you can't find anyone else, I'll go.

I don't know why I was so persistent, because I knew Prince was coming to Detroit, but I talked my wonderful, sweet, best husband in the world, into going to Toronto the next day.

Now, I had to scramble to get tickets. They were already on sale. It was mass panic in my small office, with 3 of us trying to get the best seats possible. Success! I called my darling husband back. He thought we would go to the 7:00 show, because I am a very early riser and would normally prefer the 7:00 show. So, I tell him, we've got 7th row seats to the 10:00 show. He was happy about that. Then I told him "and we've got 3rd row seats to the 7:00 show". You can just imagine his shock.

So, we attended both of those March 25th concerts. (Tears go here).

We've talked about it a lot and he said he could not imagine how badly he would feel now if he had not changed his mind.

Love, love, love, my husband ❤️

Cindy, Your writing style made me connect to your experience. I had a similar story to yours. I can't imagine the bad state of affairs I would be in right now if I would have missed the Atlanta show. It's different if he didn't perform in your city, but to know he was 10 minutes away and I didn't make it would have destroyed me! We are blessed to have that beautiful memory. I am so grateful for it! Thank you for sharing. 💜
"Everybody's looking 4 the answers. How the story started and how it will end. What's the use in half a story..." 0(+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/27/16 11:33am

shoeproblem

avatar

paisleymoon said:

I attended the two shows at Paisley Park, one general admission, one VIP. It was an amazing night, Prince was very candid and they were both wonderful shows. I live sort of in the area and have really been missing Paisley Park events this summer. The show felt very personal and emotional, I never thought I'd get the opportunity to see a show like it! Great variety of songs played....I so miss him!


paisleymoon - I would have LOVED to see him perform at Paisley Park! I remember really wanting to go the Breakfast Can Wait show. We are truly lucky to have been blessed with this experience.
"Everybody's looking 4 the answers. How the story started and how it will end. What's the use in half a story..." 0(+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 08/29/16 12:41am

FunkmasterF

I saw him at the Sydney Opera House shows 20th Feb 2016. I bought tickets for both shows that night. I figured that if I was flying 1000km and staying overnigh in a hotel, I might as well make the most of it. I considered staying another night and trying to get tickets for the State Theatre show the next night until my wife pointed out she was likely to divorce me if I did!

The first show that night was the best one, but the second was still amazing. I just couldn't get over hearing all these amazing songs just played on a piano. His voice was so powerful and the atmosphere incredible.

I've read people say that the recordings of the tour weren't all that great, but as others have said in response, you really had to be there. It was just so different to anything else I'd ever heard Prince play that it was as much about the experience and ambiance as it was about the audio. He made every song sound like it was created for the piano.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 08/29/16 8:25pm

KevinB

Yes - Sydney Opera House first show Feb 20th also.

His voice was perhaps the best I have ever heard him live including the falsetto.

Miss him terribly.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 08/30/16 9:08am

paisleymoon

shoeproblem said:

paisleymoon said:

I attended the two shows at Paisley Park, one general admission, one VIP. It was an amazing night, Prince was very candid and they were both wonderful shows. I live sort of in the area and have really been missing Paisley Park events this summer. The show felt very personal and emotional, I never thought I'd get the opportunity to see a show like it! Great variety of songs played....I so miss him!

paisleymoon - I would have LOVED to see him perform at Paisley Park! I remember really wanting to go the Breakfast Can Wait show. We are truly lucky to have been blessed with this experience.

I agree! I feel very luck to have moved to within driving distance for work in the last few years when he started having events at Paisley Park again. Made the Minnesota winters worth it! Still hard to believe he's gone.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/02/16 9:30am

Empress

Yes, the show in Toronto on March 25th. So awesome!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/03/16 2:33am

remko

avatar

No, because some ^#}{#^+¥£>#]}{%{* terrorists made him cancel the european dates in december.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/03/16 3:33am

theartistirl

remko said:

No, because some ^#}{#^+¥£>#]}{%{* terrorists made him cancel the european dates in december.

Same here, I wanted to see the Paris shows. I was sure that summer 2016 he was coming to Europe with his Piano.

I am genuinely happy for those who saw this tour. I just hope it is released on CD so we can at least experience it vicariously.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 09/03/16 3:17pm

shoeproblem

avatar

theartistirl said:



remko said:


No, because some ^#}{#^+¥£>#]}{%{* terrorists made him cancel the european dates in december.

Same here, I wanted to see the Paris shows. I was sure that summer 2016 he was coming to Europe with his Piano.


I am genuinely happy for those who saw this tour. I just hope it is released on CD so we can at least experience it vicariously.


Thank you remko. I hope that sharing our experience of that night will bring warm feelings and genuine happiness. I still haven't shared my PAAMT story yet because it is so long. Hopefully this weekend I can post it.
"Everybody's looking 4 the answers. How the story started and how it will end. What's the use in half a story..." 0(+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 09/03/16 3:18pm

shoeproblem

avatar

Empress said:

Yes, the show in Toronto on March 25th. So awesome!


Nice!
"Everybody's looking 4 the answers. How the story started and how it will end. What's the use in half a story..." 0(+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 09/04/16 3:18am

remko

avatar

theartistirl said:



remko said:


No, because some ^#}{#^+¥£>#]}{%{* terrorists made him cancel the european dates in december.

Same here, I wanted to see the Paris shows. I was sure that summer 2016 he was coming to Europe with his Piano.


I am genuinely happy for those who saw this tour. I just hope it is released on CD so we can at least experience it vicariously.


yeahthat
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 09/05/16 4:52am

Superconductor

avatar

Sydney Opera House second show. I could have gotten tix for the first show also but decided against it. One show to soak it all up. So glad I went!


There was a hard core fan sitting next to me, who looked like he was about to get a heart attack or an orgasm or both when P walked onto the stage. I wonder how he is doing now?

...every night another symphony...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 09/07/16 2:10pm

philmoreliz

I saw two in Oakland, at the Paramount and again at Oracle. I remember during the Oracle show thinking I would never see him again. It was strange. The shows were otherworldly beautiful but boy was he thin.
Philmoreliz
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 09/07/16 3:21pm

shoeproblem

avatar

philmoreliz said:

I saw two in Oakland, at the Paramount and again at Oracle. I remember during the Oracle show thinking I would never see him again. It was strange. The shows were otherworldly beautiful but boy was he thin.

I THOUGHT THE EXACT SAME THING DURING THE 7PM ATLANTA SHOW! It was after he left and returned to the stage after he sang "A Case of U". I had a strong feeling it was the last time I would see him perform. I told my friend after the show - and that was the main reason we bought SRO tix to the 10pm show!!! I have never been so lucky in my life - we walked up to the ticket counter after the 7pm show and got tickets to the 10pm show. INCREDIBLE!!! I will always cherish that night. ALWAYS!
"Everybody's looking 4 the answers. How the story started and how it will end. What's the use in half a story..." 0(+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 09/07/16 3:22pm

shoeproblem

avatar

Superconductor said:

Sydney Opera House second show. I could have gotten tix for the first show also but decided against it. One show to soak it all up. So glad I went!




There was a hard core fan sitting next to me, who looked like he was about to get a heart attack or an orgasm or both when P walked onto the stage. I wonder how he is doing now?





My guess is not well.
"Everybody's looking 4 the answers. How the story started and how it will end. What's the use in half a story..." 0(+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Concerts > Did you go to one of Prince's Piano and a Microphone shows?