independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 17th Jul 2019 8:16am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Concerts > Oakland, Cali. - Piano and Microphone - February 28 - 7:00 pm Show 1
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/23/16 8:13pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Oakland, Cali. - Piano and Microphone - February 28 - 7:00 pm Show 1

Please post your show reports here. Thanks.

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/28/16 6:12pm

SignOthetimes1
987

Just hit the Paramount.next to no line
to get in.
the people here(the crowd!)seem cool,
it's diverse ,young and old and not just
SF Marina type folks like at the LOL shows.
this is one for the history books!
I don't dare record it but hope
someone does.we need a soundboard of
these shows soon.hope that was ok to say.
super excited!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/28/16 6:27pm

misslisa1979

If anyone can get me a Tour Book I can PayPal you the $

PLEASE!!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/28/16 6:55pm

SignOthetimes1
987

misslisa1979 said:

If anyone can get me a Tour Book I can PayPal you the $




PLEASE!!!!




Ok.
I got one for you.
Just pm me the info.
[Edited 2/28/16 19:04pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/28/16 7:19pm

misslisa1979

SignOthetimes1987 said:

misslisa1979 said:

If anyone can get me a Tour Book I can PayPal you the $

PLEASE!!!!

Ok. I got one for you. Just pm me the info. [Edited 2/28/16 19:04pm]

You're the best! Have a great night smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/28/16 7:21pm

wouldntulove2l
oveme

Can't wait to hear the reports on these 2 shows! Please don't keep us in suspense too long folks.

If a man is considered guilty
For what goes on in his mind
Then give me the electric chair
For all my future crimes"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/28/16 9:24pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

misslisa1979 said:

If anyone can get me a Tour Book I can PayPal you the $

PLEASE!!!!


Please use the Marketplace forum for requesting things like this, thanks.

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/28/16 9:37pm

uglystrange

1st set AMAZING, waitin in line for 10pm show. It's a fuxkin debacle..everyone has a different answer to who goes in what line. THE 1ST set he sum sick diff rendering of trax from the 2 Paisley sets,an the 1 Austin show I heard. Maybe b/c he has his gutted purple Piano here. He did starfish&coffee, tapered beret, Amazing Lil red w/ Slow down thrown in an longer dirty mind, 3rd or 4th cut Stand by sly, Paisley Park, etc etc..Will throw a more complete detailed event but this line sum bs!!!As bad as tryin2get tix from both shows when they tried sellin shitty seats 1st, acted like sold out in mins than all these "Platinum" BS tix. Wish P was more up front so I coulda jus got a good ticket at 1st w/out having 2 spend the difference for Platinum or towards end of show up close for norm price to get placed filled[list]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/28/16 10:03pm

BillS

Purple Music was great. Thieves in the Temple into Unchain My Heart back to Thieves was a nice arrangement. I liked him doing I Feel For You. A couple people got booted for taking out their phones. The show is definitely working in this 3000 seat venue.
Sacred is the prayer that asks 4 nothing
While seeking 2 give thanks 4 every breath we take
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/28/16 10:05pm

arohanui

Lucky people! I attended both shows in New Zealand - front row centre for first in a tiny venue - a metre away from the man with a waist high stage - most amazing night ever. The Prince amnesia that happens shortly after a gig is starting to kick in though so I am living vicariously thru you guys! I hope he plays Forever In My Life and It for you - was amazing when he did them last week. biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/28/16 10:05pm

uglystrange

Also never dug the song Thieves in the Temple but he dies a killer Piano version going into IT from SOTT!! Purple Music wasplayed at hyper speed an 1 of the best versions I heard so far. Nothing Compares, Purple Rain of course,take me w/ u, venis DE milo,etc.At least in the building first finally[list]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/28/16 10:10pm

BillS

What was unchain my heart in the middle of? Or was it thieves, unchain, thieves, it
Sacred is the prayer that asks 4 nothing
While seeking 2 give thanks 4 every breath we take
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/29/16 7:39am

SignOthetimes1
987

he played IT!!

anyways,the show lasted 1hr50 min, 4 encores.

after PR ended the second encore,people started to leave.

Prince came back for a full kiss,Black sweat and like was said,a full

Purple Music.the highlight for me.

he did a few verses of the max as well.started with I would die 4 u.

he talked a lot about his dad in the first half hour and also about

'the old story" which doesnt work anymore so we need to find a "new story".

during purple music he said "this is the new story".

he adressed Flint,Michigan and indirectly Black Lives Matter.

he ended with playing venus de milo,capped a PERFECT night and show.

I believe these shows bring out the best in him.

sorry for a not more thorough report but super busy.

it's 730 in CA now and back to normal life.

peace.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/29/16 7:40am

SignOthetimes1
987

BillS said:

What was unchain my heart in the middle of? Or was it thieves, unchain, thieves, it

you're right.

thieves,unchain,thieves,it

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/29/16 2:29pm

KCOOLMUZIQ

[img:$uid]http://i63.tinypic.com/309hmwo.jpg[/img:$uid]

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/29/16 3:15pm

SignOthetimes1
987

ok,KCoo..,attention is yours,

how did that ticket come about?

(noone had tix like that).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/29/16 5:16pm

BillS

Without a setlist, it's funny when you have a sudden memory of the show and something that you really liked.... He played Controversy. I liked this version of it a lot...

Sacred is the prayer that asks 4 nothing
While seeking 2 give thanks 4 every breath we take
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/29/16 5:21pm

SignOthetimes1
987

BillS said:

Without a setlist, it's funny when you have a sudden memory of the show and something that you really liked.... He played Controversy. I liked this version of it a lot...



I just remembered the max !!
what a night!
and those few somewhere over the rainbow bars
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/29/16 5:36pm

KCOOLMUZIQ

[img:$uid]http://i66.tinypic.com/35k5w2e.jpg[/img:$uid]

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/29/16 7:08pm

jaynoonan

avatar

KCOOLMUZIQ said:

[img:$uid]http://i66.tinypic.com/35k5w2e.jpg[/img:$uid]

Big City

Purple Music and THE MAX are all missing from this setlist

"Paisley Park is in your Heart"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/29/16 8:14pm

KCOOLMUZIQ

[img:$uid]http://i65.tinypic.com/987rm1.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://i63.tinypic.com/vs1bg6.jpg[/img:$uid]

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 02/29/16 9:58pm

shockadelica77
7

avatar

I was at this show and all I can still say is WOW. Here's the thing with this type of show and environment - when it's just him and his piano/synth...there's nowhere to go. No one else on stage to vibe with. No one else to share the spotlight with. No one else to play the parts to his songs that he wrote. Just him.

Like a lot of you, I'm a long-timer (aka old) and have heard almost all of these songs x number of times. I was super tired of the Vegas-style greatest hits revue shows. The 3rd Eye Girl / rock god stuff was refreshing at first, but even that got a little tired towards the end.

This is a whole different animal. As Prince said at the start - and throughout - "It's time for a new story". And he gave us one last night. It was epic. These songs I've heard a million times were completely different in so many ways. Reimagined. Reinterpreted. Bare. Just a man...his piano...and the essence of the song.

So many highlights...so many memories. I heard things I've never heard before, even from songs I've heard a million times. Songs like "Thieves in the Temple" - completely transformed when you strip away all the production. Pensive. Urgent. Powerful. (yes, I'm actually talking about "Thieves in the Temple"). "Black Muse" was an unexpected highlight. I saw he was performing it in the previous shows, but what he *did* to that song...different level.

And then...and then...this dude decides to give us FULL versions of:
Dirty Mind
Paisley Park
Purple Music
The 2 verses of "It"? I'll happily take IT. Something I never thought I'd ever see/hear.


The "Purple Music" encore led to this simple exchange with a friend after the show
Me: "Purple Music?!? this dude gave us the mythical shit"
Friend: "He gave us The Vault shit!"
Me: "still smh"


The man played for almost 2 hours in this format...and then played an almost entirely different setlist for the 10pm show. Absolutely mind boggling.

And for everyone griping about the no phones rule...let me just tell you how amazingly refreshing it was to just be able to completely enjoy the moment without being surrounded by screens. Everyone was able sneak a pic or two without having to have ongoing dialogue with peeps on their social media platform of choice. No one got hurt. Keep your phone in your pocket and just be in the moment. The new story.


Here's the setlist in order. I may have forgotten something from the very beginning, but I think this is pretty close:

I Would Die 4 U (intro instrumental)
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Batman Theme
Big City
I Would Die 4 U
Stand
Take Me With U
Little Red Corvette
Dirty Mind
Little Red Corvette (outro / transition)
Controversy
I Feel 4 U
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
Pop Life
The Max
The Ballad of Dorothy Parker / Four
Black Muse (highly powerful!)
Cream
Diamonds & Pearls (short)
The Beautiful Ones
Thieves in the Temple (pensive…urgent…amazing)
Unchain My Heart
Thieves in the Temple (outro)
It (yes…muthafuggin IT!)
The Question of U (instrumental)
Father’s Song (outro)

Encore 1
Raspberry Beret
Starfish & Coffee
Paisley Park
How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore

Encore 2
Nothing Compares 2 U
Purple Rain

Encore 3
Kiss
Black Sweat
Purple Music !!!! (Full version!)

Encore 4
Venus de Milo

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/01/16 7:33am

BillS

shockadelica777 said:

I was at this show and all I can still say is WOW. Here's the thing with this type of show and environment - when it's just him and his piano/synth...there's nowhere to go. No one else on stage to vibe with. No one else to share the spotlight with. No one else to play the parts to his songs that he wrote. Just him.

Like a lot of you, I'm a long-timer (aka old) and have heard almost all of these songs x number of times. I was super tired of the Vegas-style greatest hits revue shows. The 3rd Eye Girl / rock god stuff was refreshing at first, but even that got a little tired towards the end.

This is a whole different animal. As Prince said at the start - and throughout - "It's time for a new story". And he gave us one last night. It was epic. These songs I've heard a million times were completely different in so many ways. Reimagined. Reinterpreted. Bare. Just a man...his piano...and the essence of the song.

So many highlights...so many memories. I heard things I've never heard before, even from songs I've heard a million times. Songs like "Thieves in the Temple" - completely transformed when you strip away all the production. Pensive. Urgent. Powerful. (yes, I'm actually talking about "Thieves in the Temple"). "Black Muse" was an unexpected highlight. I saw he was performing it in the previous shows, but what he *did* to that song...different level.

And then...and then...this dude decides to give us FULL versions of:
Dirty Mind
Paisley Park
Purple Music
The 2 verses of "It"? I'll happily take IT. Something I never thought I'd ever see/hear.


The "Purple Music" encore led to this simple exchange with a friend after the show
Me: "Purple Music?!? this dude gave us the mythical shit"
Friend: "He gave us The Vault shit!"
Me: "still smh"


The man played for almost 2 hours in this format...and then played an almost entirely different setlist for the 10pm show. Absolutely mind boggling.

And for everyone griping about the no phones rule...let me just tell you how amazingly refreshing it was to just be able to completely enjoy the moment without being surrounded by screens. Everyone was able sneak a pic or two without having to have ongoing dialogue with peeps on their social media platform of choice. No one got hurt. Keep your phone in your pocket and just be in the moment. The new story.


Here's the setlist in order. I may have forgotten something from the very beginning, but I think this is pretty close:

I Would Die 4 U (intro instrumental)
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Batman Theme
Big City
I Would Die 4 U
Stand
Take Me With U
Little Red Corvette
Dirty Mind
Little Red Corvette (outro / transition)
Controversy
I Feel 4 U
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
Pop Life
The Max
The Ballad of Dorothy Parker / Four
Black Muse (highly powerful!)
Cream
Diamonds & Pearls (short)
The Beautiful Ones
Thieves in the Temple (pensive…urgent…amazing)
Unchain My Heart
Thieves in the Temple (outro)
It (yes…muthafuggin IT!)
The Question of U (instrumental)
Father’s Song (outro)

Encore 1
Raspberry Beret
Starfish & Coffee
Paisley Park
How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore

Encore 2
Nothing Compares 2 U
Purple Rain

Encore 3
Kiss
Black Sweat
Purple Music !!!! (Full version!)

Encore 4
Venus de Milo

Finally, someone with enough memory to provide the complete setlist..... What he seems to have developed over time doing this style of show is a lot of meandering in and out of songs... Sometimes pairing some old favorites, but also trying new combinations of songs as well. The PP shows were amazing because we heard a lot of rarely played songs in their entirety. These shows seemed to have a few more fan favorites, but going in and out and sometimes back again to songs added a new dimension. Both have their merits. The Little Red Corvette / Dirty Mind combo is really cool. He must have switched back and forth 3 or 4 times at least with that pair. Or was that the second show?

Sacred is the prayer that asks 4 nothing
While seeking 2 give thanks 4 every breath we take
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/01/16 12:10pm

Astasheiks

avatar

If P can do Dirty Mind, why not do Head? razz lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/01/16 12:20pm

shockadelica77
7

avatar

BillS said:

shockadelica777 said:

I was at this show and all I can still say is WOW. Here's the thing with this type of show and environment - when it's just him and his piano/synth...there's nowhere to go. No one else on stage to vibe with. No one else to share the spotlight with. No one else to play the parts to his songs that he wrote. Just him.

Like a lot of you, I'm a long-timer (aka old) and have heard almost all of these songs x number of times. I was super tired of the Vegas-style greatest hits revue shows. The 3rd Eye Girl / rock god stuff was refreshing at first, but even that got a little tired towards the end.

This is a whole different animal. As Prince said at the start - and throughout - "It's time for a new story". And he gave us one last night. It was epic. These songs I've heard a million times were completely different in so many ways. Reimagined. Reinterpreted. Bare. Just a man...his piano...and the essence of the song.

So many highlights...so many memories. I heard things I've never heard before, even from songs I've heard a million times. Songs like "Thieves in the Temple" - completely transformed when you strip away all the production. Pensive. Urgent. Powerful. (yes, I'm actually talking about "Thieves in the Temple"). "Black Muse" was an unexpected highlight. I saw he was performing it in the previous shows, but what he *did* to that song...different level.

And then...and then...this dude decides to give us FULL versions of:
Dirty Mind
Paisley Park
Purple Music
The 2 verses of "It"? I'll happily take IT. Something I never thought I'd ever see/hear.


The "Purple Music" encore led to this simple exchange with a friend after the show
Me: "Purple Music?!? this dude gave us the mythical shit"
Friend: "He gave us The Vault shit!"
Me: "still smh"


The man played for almost 2 hours in this format...and then played an almost entirely different setlist for the 10pm show. Absolutely mind boggling.

And for everyone griping about the no phones rule...let me just tell you how amazingly refreshing it was to just be able to completely enjoy the moment without being surrounded by screens. Everyone was able sneak a pic or two without having to have ongoing dialogue with peeps on their social media platform of choice. No one got hurt. Keep your phone in your pocket and just be in the moment. The new story.


Here's the setlist in order. I may have forgotten something from the very beginning, but I think this is pretty close:

I Would Die 4 U (intro instrumental)
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Batman Theme
Big City
I Would Die 4 U
Stand
Take Me With U
Little Red Corvette
Dirty Mind
Little Red Corvette (outro / transition)
Controversy
I Feel 4 U
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
Pop Life
The Max
The Ballad of Dorothy Parker / Four
Black Muse (highly powerful!)
Cream
Diamonds & Pearls (short)
The Beautiful Ones
Thieves in the Temple (pensive…urgent…amazing)
Unchain My Heart
Thieves in the Temple (outro)
It (yes…muthafuggin IT!)
The Question of U (instrumental)
Father’s Song (outro)

Encore 1
Raspberry Beret
Starfish & Coffee
Paisley Park
How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore

Encore 2
Nothing Compares 2 U
Purple Rain

Encore 3
Kiss
Black Sweat
Purple Music !!!! (Full version!)

Encore 4
Venus de Milo

Finally, someone with enough memory to provide the complete setlist..... What he seems to have developed over time doing this style of show is a lot of meandering in and out of songs... Sometimes pairing some old favorites, but also trying new combinations of songs as well. The PP shows were amazing because we heard a lot of rarely played songs in their entirety. These shows seemed to have a few more fan favorites, but going in and out and sometimes back again to songs added a new dimension. Both have their merits. The Little Red Corvette / Dirty Mind combo is really cool. He must have switched back and forth 3 or 4 times at least with that pair. Or was that the second show?

I can't take much credit for a good memory. I used the bleeding edge technology of pen & paper smile

And yeah, he was so adept at coming in & out of songs and effortlessly binding them together. Little Red Corvette and Dirty Mind were bound that way....LRC --> DM --> LRC. It was pretty great.

Trust me, I'll always have my dream setlist that probably would look different from what we got...but he did a brilliant job of helping me experience old favorites in completely new ways. I don't remember the last time I walked out of a show *not* complaining about setlist. I've since thought about other songs that would've been magical in that format - but that night I left happy as hell.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/01/16 10:21pm

BillS

I am glad I was able to see four Piano and Microphone shows in smaller venues. I would be unhappy to pay as much as he is asking for an arena show. Maybe the bay area will get a real aftershow with him performing after Oracle.

Sacred is the prayer that asks 4 nothing
While seeking 2 give thanks 4 every breath we take
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/07/16 11:31pm

chamill

Was the song 'It' a full length version or a snippet? I mean are we talking more than a few minutes worth?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Concerts > Oakland, Cali. - Piano and Microphone - February 28 - 7:00 pm Show 1