independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Concerts > MANCHESTER 21st 22nd
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 29 of 30 « First<21222324252627282930>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #840 posted 02/21/14 5:03pm

funkyhead

fnksoul said:

funkyhead said:

ok, lets leave the 2nd show fiasco to another thread - this show was off the scale. He just seems so happy, love how he & Donna keep looking at each other intently - like father teaching daughter!. highlights? - slowed down sexf / funky version of play that funky music white boy, bass solo IN MY FACE on Hot thing, full version of when doves cry AND 4ever in my life, Funk n' roll opening jam, - actually a very loose funky opening in general to warm us up!, tonnes of hard rockin, Hannahs smile [wow!] & too much else for me to recall!.

The 1 thing that stands out is that he just seems so very happy & enjoying this latest adventure. these gigs& the 3EG sound are only best expereinced live, forget the records, forget bootleg CD's..you just have to be there!

Good to meet you mate, was just saying to Alex on the way how then you looked like you had a ball haha. Glad I met up with you guys i would have ended up going down later on and being near the back or something otherwise lol Hopefully the first of many Prince gigs for me I hope, got the bug now!

Hannah is stunning, was good to see the chemistry between Donna and Prince, was like they were both bouncing off each other.

likewise mate, defo keep in touch....apologies if I bounced a bit too much!!, ears are still ringing, back killing, feet soaking, head aching BUT WHAT A FRIGGIN' GIG THAT WAS!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #841 posted 02/21/14 5:04pm

fortuneandsere
ndipity

funksoldier said:

Oh yeah Bambi was good too

absolutely amazing, bring on tomorrow night!!!

The hypocrisy of the far-left is something else.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - this is where all religions fall down.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #842 posted 02/21/14 5:05pm

Nasalhair

Set list (apologies for any omissions or errors)

Funk & Roll
Endorphinemachine
Screwdriver
She's Always In My Hair
I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man (slow)
Guitar
Plectrum Electrum
Fix Your Life Up
Forever In My Life
A Love Bizarre
When Doves Cry
Sign O The Times
Hot Thing
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
I Would Die 4U
Purple Rain

Let's Go Crazy
U Got The Look
Play That Funky Music
The Love We Make
Take Me With U
Raspberry Beret
Musicology
Train In Vain
Crimson and Clover
Bambi
[Edited 2/21/14 17:21pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #843 posted 02/21/14 5:16pm

wickyb

avatar

Train in Vain, not stand by me.

I've never seen prince play in such an uninhibited way, nothing was held back and there was no posturing, the emotion was absolutely raw & exposed. The instrumental at the piano had some serious channeling going on!

Lovely to meet so many great people and looking forward to another experience tomorrow!
"Sheeeeeeeeit"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #844 posted 02/21/14 5:19pm

3QuartersInAGl
ass

avatar

Glad everyone got tickets and got in!!

Reminding me of Shep Bush all over again reading these comments cool

"U have just given birth 2 a 7 pound Bambi..." SBE 9Feb14
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #845 posted 02/21/14 5:19pm

optiknerve

Mind muthaf**ckin blown!!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #846 posted 02/21/14 5:20pm

PRNelson

Nasalhair said:

Set list (apologies for any omissions or errors)

Funk & Roll
Endorphinemachine
Screwdriver
She's Always In My Hair
I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man (slow)
Guitar
Plectrum Electrum
Fix Your Life Up
Forever In My Life
A Love Bizarre
When Doves Cry
Sign O The Times
Hot Thing
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
I Would Die 4U
Purple Rain

Let's Go Crazy
U Got The Look
Play That Funky Music
The Love We Make
Take Me With U
Raspberry Beret
Musicology
Stand By Me
Crimson and Clover
Bambi


We got into the venue as 'take me with u' was playing. Feel cheated.
You'll never know a girl called Nikki and you'll never find Erotic City
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #847 posted 02/21/14 5:23pm

3QuartersInAGl
ass

avatar

£35 for a few songs is bad when KOKO queue was let in free to watch the encores.

Although, if someone offered me the chance to see just Bambi on its own for 35quid, I'd be straight in there!!! ........... but thats me wink

"U have just given birth 2 a 7 pound Bambi..." SBE 9Feb14
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #848 posted 02/21/14 5:24pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

PRNelson said:

Nasalhair said:
Set list (apologies for any omissions or errors) Funk & Roll Endorphinemachine Screwdriver She's Always In My Hair I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man (slow) Guitar Plectrum Electrum Fix Your Life Up Forever In My Life A Love Bizarre When Doves Cry Sign O The Times Hot Thing The Most Beautiful Girl in the World I Would Die 4U Purple Rain Let's Go Crazy U Got The Look Play That Funky Music The Love We Make Take Me With U Raspberry Beret Musicology Stand By Me Crimson and Clover Bambi
We got into the venue as 'take me with u' was playing. Feel cheated.

Did you pay £35 or was it free to get in for those few songs?

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #849 posted 02/21/14 5:27pm

PRNelson

SquirrelMeat said:



PRNelson said:


Nasalhair said:
Set list (apologies for any omissions or errors) Funk & Roll Endorphinemachine Screwdriver She's Always In My Hair I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man (slow) Guitar Plectrum Electrum Fix Your Life Up Forever In My Life A Love Bizarre When Doves Cry Sign O The Times Hot Thing The Most Beautiful Girl in the World I Would Die 4U Purple Rain Let's Go Crazy U Got The Look Play That Funky Music The Love We Make Take Me With U Raspberry Beret Musicology Stand By Me Crimson and Clover Bambi

We got into the venue as 'take me with u' was playing. Feel cheated.

Did you pay £35 or was it free to get in for those few songs?



£35 unfortunately
You'll never know a girl called Nikki and you'll never find Erotic City
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #850 posted 02/21/14 5:30pm

hw3004

Nasalhair said:

Set list (apologies for any omissions or errors)

Funk & Roll
Endorphinemachine
Screwdriver
She's Always In My Hair
I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man (slow)
Guitar
Plectrum Electrum
Fix Your Life Up
Forever In My Life
A Love Bizarre
When Doves Cry
Sign O The Times
Hot Thing
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
I Would Die 4U
Purple Rain

Let's Go Crazy
U Got The Look
Play That Funky Music
The Love We Make
Take Me With U
Raspberry Beret
Musicology
Train In Vain
Crimson and Clover
Bambi
[Edited 2/21/14 17:21pm]

liathach // cause and effect also played... But it's all a bit of a beautiful blur at the moment so can't remember when exactly!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #851 posted 02/21/14 5:32pm

hw3004

mojo said:

funkyhead said:

ok, lets leave the 2nd show fiasco to another thread - this show was off the scale. He just seems so happy, love how he & Donna keep looking at each other intently - like father teaching daughter!. highlights? - slowed down sexf / funky version of play that funky music white boy, bass solo IN MY FACE on Hot thing, full version of when doves cry AND 4ever in my life, Funk n' roll opening jam, - actually a very loose funky opening in general to warm us up!, tonnes of hard rockin, Hannahs smile [wow!] & too much else for me to recall!.


The 1 thing that stands out is that he just seems so very happy & enjoying this latest adventure. these gigs& the 3EG sound are only best expereinced live, forget the records, forget bootleg CD's..you just have to be there!



What was the loooong instrumental with him on piano? Shades of Umber? That killed it for me

liathach
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #852 posted 02/21/14 5:34pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

PRNelson said:

SquirrelMeat said:

Did you pay £35 or was it free to get in for those few songs?

£35 unfortunately

Thats nothing short of disgusting.

.

Sure people in for the whole show got a good one, but it seems they only got a good deal because they fucked up getting enough people for a second show.

.

Similar to Shepherds Bush and Koko (second show), a great show was born out of inept management.

.

Only this time, several hundred fans got screwed for £35 in the process.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #853 posted 02/21/14 5:49pm

3QuartersInAGl
ass

avatar

Guy on twitter saying the £35 fans can come free tomorrow...?? Hmm

"U have just given birth 2 a 7 pound Bambi..." SBE 9Feb14
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #854 posted 02/21/14 5:55pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

3QuartersInAGlass said:

Guy on twitter saying the £35 fans can come free tomorrow...?? Hmm

Damage limitation?

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #855 posted 02/21/14 5:56pm

divas21212

My first prince gig, has absolutely blown me away, my highlights when doves cry and Bambi absolutely amazing smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #856 posted 02/21/14 5:58pm

unique

avatar

aiden said:

unique said:
That was fucking amazing. He was on fire. Seriously it rivaled Ronnie's. No shit
Wow! How did it compare to electric ballroom 2nd and SBE (I was in there tonight, brought back memories)?? Set list??

i thought EB1 was better than EB2, altho i was front at the first and the back for the second. SBE was better than both. kings row and ronnies were a different class entirely. tonight was better than EB and SBE and even rivaled ronnies. his playing was superb and you can tell by the arrangements that things were extended etc a bit from the typical playing. cause and effect was instrumental for example, a few tracks longer than the normal arrangements. i didn't expect this to beat the london shows but he did it. the atmosphere was pretty great too. i had an amazing view front row which just boosts everything. i'm actually glad there was no show two tonight. i dunno how he can match this tomorrow

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #857 posted 02/21/14 6:03pm

dewmass

avatar

Long day, got there at 4.30pm, number 120ish in the with tickets side. Met a fantastic bloke from Leeds had a great chat with him and then saw a superb gig. Personally thought SBE was a bit better, but both really high quality. Shame nobody knew what was going on at the end, the door staff were saying if we let you out you can't come back in even though other staff were saying he's definitely gone and there won't be another show. You didn't know whether to stay or go for a good 45 minutes.
-----------------------------------------
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #858 posted 02/21/14 6:12pm

mdn7

Nasalhair said:

Set list (apologies for any omissions or errors)

Funk & Roll
Endorphinemachine
Screwdriver
She's Always In My Hair
I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man (slow)
Guitar
Plectrum Electrum
Fix Your Life Up
Forever In My Life
A Love Bizarre
When Doves Cry
Sign O The Times
Hot Thing
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
I Would Die 4U
Purple Rain

Let's Go Crazy
U Got The Look
Play That Funky Music
The Love We Make
Take Me With U
Raspberry Beret
Musicology
Train In Vain
Crimson and Clover
Bambi
[Edited 2/21/14 17:21pm]


I think he played Stratus after Plectrum Electrum.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #859 posted 02/21/14 6:43pm

PSYMUN

avatar

The £35 crew get in for free on Saturday. Hope u all can make it. It was absolutely amazing tonight. biggrin
"OOOH I can't hold it, OOOH it's gettin all ova me!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #860 posted 02/21/14 6:43pm

dandan

Wow, that was truly more than I could have ever wished for. Saw him for the first time tonight and needless to say he was out of this world. He is a world class performer, an impeccable musician and has an delightfult sense of humour!

Highlight for me was probably Crimson & Clover, that song carries so well live compared to the record. Another observation from a first timer is how utterly effortless the screams, and vocals in general, are for him eek There was part where he was having a sort of 'sing off' with the audience and he was just smiling whilst hitting ridiculously high notes.

I got two sides... and they're both friends.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #861 posted 02/21/14 6:56pm

LEWISTAYLORFAN

3QuartersInAGlass said:

did the people with seatwave and stubhub tickets get in? could be why theres more room in the building?




Mate said they got in ok with Stubhub but was problems with seawave

Apparently confusion whether a second show or not. She said people just stood there would not move and even when the 2 girls came out said show over people still stood there because did not know what going on.

They let the 2nd show people in for the 3 encores.


She said the organisation whether a 2nd show or not was a mess.

She said Prince was overwhelmed and had a tear in his eye.
It gets so salty baby (bittersweet by Lewis Taylor)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #862 posted 02/21/14 7:20pm

barneyboy

Im a £35 person, all this shit about encores??? I got my ticket, heard musiic and thought it was the support, walked in after my wee (from standing in the rain) and they were sweeping up the plasic cups!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #863 posted 02/21/14 10:06pm

SometimesIwond
er

unique said:



i thought EB1 was better than EB2, altho i was front at the first and the back for the second. SBE was better than both. kings row and ronnies were a different class entirely. tonight was better than EB and SBE and even rivaled ronnies. his playing was superb and you can tell by the arrangements that things were extended etc a bit from the typical playing. cause and effect was instrumental for example, a few tracks longer than the normal arrangements. i didn't expect this to beat the london shows but he did it. the atmosphere was pretty great too. i had an amazing view front row which just boosts everything. i'm actually glad there was no show two tonight. i dunno how he can match this tomorrow


See Unique, I told u the best shows r always the ones when u r right up front!! And here's u trying to kid me on u weren't fussed about getting up front after u received The Holy Sacrament of prince up so close at Ronnie Scott's! razz

Can't wait 2 c u in the queue 2day man! I'm feeling pumped already! Wait 2 U see me come doors open at 7pm, u'll need to get that wheelchair & b my nurse!! Ha ha (I'm not stage diving from the keyboards tho!) lol
[Edited 2/21/14 22:07pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #864 posted 02/21/14 11:26pm

aiden

avatar

unique said:



aiden said:


unique said:
That was fucking amazing. He was on fire. Seriously it rivaled Ronnie's. No shit

Wow! How did it compare to electric ballroom 2nd and SBE (I was in there tonight, brought back memories)?? Set list??


i thought EB1 was better than EB2, altho i was front at the first and the back for the second. SBE was better than both. kings row and ronnies were a different class entirely. tonight was better than EB and SBE and even rivaled ronnies. his playing was superb and you can tell by the arrangements that things were extended etc a bit from the typical playing. cause and effect was instrumental for example, a few tracks longer than the normal arrangements. i didn't expect this to beat the london shows but he did it. the atmosphere was pretty great too. i had an amazing view front row which just boosts everything. i'm actually glad there was no show two tonight. i dunno how he can match this tomorrow



Yep, should have gone up North... I think the first £35 guys are gonna get the best deal in the end with free entry tonite. And it really must be so dependent on where you see P in these gigs, I'm always towards the back cause I'm 6 foot 3 and hate pissing people off. I've seen him up close once and it freaked me out.. I was like a deer in the headlights. I'm pretty sure most people said EB2 was better so I think that's down to where you stood but also everyone has there own individual experiences depending on mood etc, earplugs can take the vibe down a bit. I wish I had driven up for this one. One of my best mates is going tonite and asked me if I wanted to go but had to decline cause I don't have enough cash. So far I've seen him for 4 hours 45 mins for £20 so I got a good deal smile
[Edited 2/21/14 23:29pm]
"Still Crazy 4 Coco Rock"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #865 posted 02/22/14 12:16am

unique

avatar

aiden said:

unique said:

i thought EB1 was better than EB2, altho i was front at the first and the back for the second. SBE was better than both. kings row and ronnies were a different class entirely. tonight was better than EB and SBE and even rivaled ronnies. his playing was superb and you can tell by the arrangements that things were extended etc a bit from the typical playing. cause and effect was instrumental for example, a few tracks longer than the normal arrangements. i didn't expect this to beat the london shows but he did it. the atmosphere was pretty great too. i had an amazing view front row which just boosts everything. i'm actually glad there was no show two tonight. i dunno how he can match this tomorrow

Yep, should have gone up North... I think the first £35 guys are gonna get the best deal in the end with free entry tonite. And it really must be so dependent on where you see P in these gigs, I'm always towards the back cause I'm 6 foot 3 and hate pissing people off. I've seen him up close once and it freaked me out.. I was like a deer in the headlights. I'm pretty sure most people said EB2 was better so I think that's down to where you stood but also everyone has there own individual experiences depending on mood etc, earplugs can take the vibe down a bit. I wish I had driven up for this one. One of my best mates is going tonite and asked me if I wanted to go but had to decline cause I don't have enough cash. So far I've seen him for 4 hours 45 mins for £20 so I got a good deal smile [Edited 2/21/14 23:29pm]

actually i disagree with most of what you say, but it's just a personal opinion.

earplugs, i've been wearing them since the o2 days as high volume damages your ears, and can do so from just one gig. but if you go to reapeated shows or clubs with high volume it's worse, and if you are down the front the volume is much higher. even with earplugs last night down the front it was noticeably louder. you will see from another thread people complaining about sore ears. i don't get sore ears. the earplugs make the experience more enjoybale as i hear everything clearly, my ears don't hurt, i can hear people around me, and no ringing afterwards. a decent set of earplugs is essential for regular gig going

as for the £35 getting best deal, no they aren't cuz although they got a bit of show for free if they get into the second show cheap, they missed a priceless show tonight, or missed most of it. no amount of money will make up for that. so folks paying £70 once or twice and saw the first show got an amazing value for money.

but yeah the different between front and back does affect your experience so it's hard to judge one of the best shows ever from the back compared to being front row at a show thats not as great, as the intimacy of being close adds a lot to a show. so when you are front row at an amazing show like manc1 or ronnie scotts the whole experience is heightened. perhaps also all the long waiting in the cold and sore feet and legs and being soaked does something, as you feel so low and crap before the show, and then you are lifted right up as high as you can get at a great show. it is like an endurance test. i feel like davina macalls challenge is nothing compared 2 this

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #866 posted 02/22/14 12:26am

rafael

wickyb said:[quote]Train in Vain, not stand by me.

I've never seen prince play in such an uninhibited way, nothing was held back and there was no posturing, the emotion was absolutely raw & exposed. The instrumental at the piano had some serious channeling going on!

Lovely to meet so many great people and looking forward to another experience tomorrow![/

Instrumental was Liathach
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #867 posted 02/22/14 12:27am

mikeyaddict

avatar

Wowser. Can't even think if how to review or what to add. So I won't. Anyhow. Slowly waking up - and need to ask, what time are people with tickets getting there today - was closish to the front but still had tall dudes getting in front so if a little further back reckon I'd be screwed. Thinking of leaving Preston to arrive Manc at about 1ish.

Unique, ecnirp, great to meet u guys! Iwishuheaven - sorry I didn't meet u, will I be at krobar again today? Where peeps meeting?
Comin str8 outta Preston...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #868 posted 02/22/14 12:28am

rafael

wickyb said:[quote]Train in Vain, not stand by me.

I've never seen prince play in such an uninhibited way, nothing was held back and there was no posturing, the emotion was absolutely raw & exposed. The instrumental at the piano had some serious channeling going on!

Lovely to meet so many great people and looking forward to another experience tomorrow![/

Instrumental was Liathach
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #869 posted 02/22/14 12:30am

dodger

unique said:



aiden said:


unique said:



i thought EB1 was better than EB2, altho i was front at the first and the back for the second. SBE was better than both. kings row and ronnies were a different class entirely. tonight was better than EB and SBE and even rivaled ronnies. his playing was superb and you can tell by the arrangements that things were extended etc a bit from the typical playing. cause and effect was instrumental for example, a few tracks longer than the normal arrangements. i didn't expect this to beat the london shows but he did it. the atmosphere was pretty great too. i had an amazing view front row which just boosts everything. i'm actually glad there was no show two tonight. i dunno how he can match this tomorrow



Yep, should have gone up North... I think the first £35 guys are gonna get the best deal in the end with free entry tonite. And it really must be so dependent on where you see P in these gigs, I'm always towards the back cause I'm 6 foot 3 and hate pissing people off. I've seen him up close once and it freaked me out.. I was like a deer in the headlights. I'm pretty sure most people said EB2 was better so I think that's down to where you stood but also everyone has there own individual experiences depending on mood etc, earplugs can take the vibe down a bit. I wish I had driven up for this one. One of my best mates is going tonite and asked me if I wanted to go but had to decline cause I don't have enough cash. So far I've seen him for 4 hours 45 mins for £20 so I got a good deal smile [Edited 2/21/14 23:29pm]



actually i disagree with most of what you say, but it's just a personal opinion.



earplugs, i've been wearing them since the o2 days as high volume damages your ears, and can do so from just one gig. but if you go to reapeated shows or clubs with high volume it's worse, and if you are down the front the volume is much higher. even with earplugs last night down the front it was noticeably louder. you will see from another thread people complaining about sore ears. i don't get sore ears. the earplugs make the experience more enjoybale as i hear everything clearly, my ears don't hurt, i can hear people around me, and no ringing afterwards. a decent set of earplugs is essential for regular gig going



as for the £35 getting best deal, no they aren't cuz although they got a bit of show for free if they get into the second show cheap, they missed a priceless show tonight, or missed most of it. no amount of money will make up for that. so folks paying £70 once or twice and saw the first show got an amazing value for money.



but yeah the different between front and back does affect your experience so it's hard to judge one of the best shows ever from the back compared to being front row at a show thats not as great, as the intimacy of being close adds a lot to a show. so when you are front row at an amazing show like manc1 or ronnie scotts the whole experience is heightened. perhaps also all the long waiting in the cold and sore feet and legs and being soaked does something, as you feel so low and crap before the show, and then you are lifted right up as high as you can get at a great show. it is like an endurance test. i feel like davina macalls challenge is nothing compared 2 this



You must be fucked after waiting in queues for these shows last couple of weeks. Mind you can't be as tiring as the night feeds I was on last night with the baby but reading these updates was a plus
.
I'm going tonight's show but can't get there till 6ish. What time did last nights start? And out of interest what time will u start queuing mate?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 29 of 30 « First<21222324252627282930>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Concerts > MANCHESTER 21st 22nd