independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Concerts > Travel to Montreux
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/05/09 1:37pm

Kudra23

avatar

Travel to Montreux

Just wondering if anyone knows about travel within Switzerland.

I have booked flights to Geneva but don't know how to best get to Montreux from there.

Is train the best way?
Do you need to prebook?
How late do they run - our flight doesn't land until 9pm?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/05/09 2:21pm

Fidel

Hi Kudra

look under sbb.ch . That's the name of the swiss railway and there you find when and how long the trains run.
I think train is the best way to get to montreux from Geneva

best wishes and have fun Franz
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/05/09 2:21pm

Fidel

And there is a railway station right in the airport
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/05/09 2:30pm

Nina7

avatar

I'm also arriving in Geneva. It's about an hour by train to Montreux.

http://www.montreuxjazz.c...=transport
The most practical and environmentally friendly way to travel to the festival is by public transport. A partnership with CFF allows those with a concert ticket to take advantage of a 20% discount on their train journey. An increased number of trains are also put in service specifically for the Festival. Night-trains towards Lausanne, Geneva and Sion enable festival-goers to fully enjoy their evening and return safely home.
3121 purple lotusflow3rs from Planet Earth!
Peace, B Wild & Love 1another,
Nina
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/05/09 2:37pm

incredibleD

avatar

http://prince.org/msg/12/...sg_6756650

Train prices are 20% cheaper if you're destination is Montreux (with or without a ticket for the festival, so says the ticket).
Get sexy sex, get funky at... The ORANGE Park - Funky President, people, it's bad!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/06/09 12:16am

wundi

2 all who travel with the swiss rail (SBB, CFF, FFS) tell them when u buy the ticket that u go 2 the jazz festival! So u will recive a discount off 20% !!

B Funky wundi cool


p.s. http://en.wikipedia.org/w...BB-CFF-FFS is the name in the 3 main language from switzerland (german, franch and italien)

p.p.s. About Switzerland:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweiz

p.p.p.s. switzerland has also a 4th language (http://en.wikipedia.org/w...h_language). just i case that i don't have told u! wink

p4.s. Info and hotels in Montreux: http://montreux.ch/homepage.html
[Edited 7/6/09 0:25am]
I'm searching Tickets or Pic's of it 4 my page www.prince-live.com
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/06/09 11:32am

Kudra23

avatar

Thanks for all the information

I have had a good look at the websites and as long as my flight is not delayed we should make it there OK!

A few people have mentioned the 20% discount, butwhen we arrive the ticket offices will be closed (after 9pm), does anyone know if we can get the discount through the automated ticket machines?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/07/09 4:12am

london1

Gonna be there for a few days, any suggestions for sights and eating etc
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/07/09 6:51am

Bailorin

Hi!

I'm going there from London 4 a few days. Travelling on my own.

I found the forums on these sites to be useful:

http://www.tripadvisor.co..._Vaud.html

http://www.travbuddy.com/...ntreux#929
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/07/09 1:27pm

purplecorvette
1

london1 said:

Gonna be there for a few days, any suggestions for sights and eating etc


Mcdonalds
Subway

doubt you'd be able to afford much more, my friend was in Zurich recently she said a cheese sandwich cost £10.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/08/09 12:32am

wundi

purplecorvette1 said:


Mcdonalds
Subway

doubt you'd be able to afford much more, my friend was in Zurich recently she said a cheese sandwich cost £10.


bull.... Although Switzerland is an expensive country, but for £ 10 you can sometimes buy a dinner! If you are in 5* hotels on rooms order ...
And in most Citys, there is still McDonald. wink

B Funky wundi cool
I'm searching Tickets or Pic's of it 4 my page www.prince-live.com
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/09/09 2:13am

aurora1

Just spoke to the concierge in my hotel.... 1 hour and 15 minutes by train from Geneva airport to Montreux....leaves every 1/2 hour

By car it takes about 1 hour from airport
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/09/09 6:34am

wundi

aurora1 said:

Just spoke to the concierge in my hotel.... 1 hour and 15 minutes by train from Geneva airport to Montreux....leaves every 1/2 hour

By car it takes about 1 hour from airport


The last good train from geneva airport 2 montreux:

17:27 on Track 3 needs 1:12h 2 montreux (he arrives at 18:39h). if
u missed the train in geneva u can take the train at 17:36h at track 2
and change in lausanne from track 1 to 3. there u are on the same train
like in the first one. wink

B Funky wundi cool
I'm searching Tickets or Pic's of it 4 my page www.prince-live.com
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/09/09 11:38am

lottielooloo19
68

wundi said:

2 all who travel with the swiss rail (SBB, CFF, FFS) tell them when u buy the ticket that u go 2 the jazz festival! So u will recive a discount off 20% !!

B Funky wundi cool


p.s. http://en.wikipedia.org/w...BB-CFF-FFS is the name in the 3 main language from switzerland (german, franch and italien)

p.p.s. About Switzerland:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweiz

p.p.p.s. switzerland has also a 4th language (http://en.wikipedia.org/w...h_language). just i case that i don't have told u! wink

p4.s. Info and hotels in Montreux: http://montreux.ch/homepage.html
[Edited 7/6/09 0:25am]


hi wundi!
u sound like u are familiar with montreux/the festival..

are the bars/pubs/cafes open late?
i'm not planning on sleeping & will have a few hours to fill b4 trains start running, (presuming the last show overuns.. beg )
btw, i do have plan b if they close early & don't do lock ins!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/10/09 4:07pm

wundi

lottielooloo1968 said:



hi wundi!
u sound like u are familiar with montreux/the festival..

are the bars/pubs/cafes open late?
i'm not planning on sleeping & will have a few hours to fill b4 trains start running, (presuming the last show overuns.. beg )
btw, i do have plan b if they close early & don't do lock ins!


yes, i life in switzerland but in the german part (not the french one). i was only once at montreux (2007 when prince was there). we are eating pizza at 2-3 o clock, but they are closing at that time.but there are also a lot of food boots at the lake....

i think its no problem to survive wink
at bad times you can go to the train station where it have food machine.... wink

B Funky wundi cool
[Edited 7/10/09 16:09pm]
I'm searching Tickets or Pic's of it 4 my page www.prince-live.com
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/11/09 3:22am

london1

Bailorin said:

Hi!

I'm going there from London 4 a few days. Travelling on my own.

I found the forums on these sites to be useful:

http://www.tripadvisor.co..._Vaud.html

http://www.travbuddy.com/...ntreux#929

If you came to the London Peeps there would be a choice of us 2 travel with.

Going from gatwick Friday? or Saturday?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/11/09 3:23am

london1

purplecorvette1 said:

london1 said:

Gonna be there for a few days, any suggestions for sights and eating etc


Mcdonalds
Subway

doubt you'd be able to afford much more, my friend was in Zurich recently she said a cheese sandwich cost £10.


YIKES neutral

Must be supermarkets etc
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/11/09 4:13am

Bailorin

If you came to the London Peeps there would be a choice of us 2 travel with.
Going from gatwick Friday? or Saturday?

Will keep in mind 4 th future smile
Travelling "dawn chorus" early Fri from Heathrow.
But am gonna get 2 meet U Fri eve? MayB we'll get 2 C an impromptu gig.


(& B4 any1 gets on my case it's a WISH NOT A FACT!)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/12/09 2:36pm

Kudra23

avatar

Regarding the 20% discount,

I called the SBB helpline today and if the ticket offices are closed so you can't get your discount
you should be able to get a refund from the conductor on the train.

Good news for me as every penny saved will make a difference
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/14/09 8:16am

lottielooloo19
68

wundi said:

lottielooloo1968 said:



hi wundi!
u sound like u are familiar with montreux/the festival..

are the bars/pubs/cafes open late?
i'm not planning on sleeping & will have a few hours to fill b4 trains start running, (presuming the last show overuns.. beg )
btw, i do have plan b if they close early & don't do lock ins!


yes, i life in switzerland but in the german part (not the french one). i was only once at montreux (2007 when prince was there). we are eating pizza at 2-3 o clock, but they are closing at that time.but there are also a lot of food boots at the lake....

i think its no problem to survive wink
at bad times you can go to the train station where it have food machine.... wink

B Funky wundi cool
[Edited 7/10/09 16:09pm]


not sure i like the sound of that one much!..

thanks wundi, that's been helpful x
no chance of finding a kebab house at 4am then? lol

u would think they would cater 4 funky party people? disbelief

i decided to get a car & bomb down to montreux. i reckon it will only take about 1/2 hr
i think the trains make a lot of stops?
after the concerts maybe i will shoot back to geneva, no traffic & check in2 ibis for just a few sqid..

btw, the swiss money is very pretty..especially the 20's..they're really purple!
[Edited 7/14/09 8:40am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Concerts > Travel to Montreux