independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > LGB (not the T)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/03/21 9:16am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

LGB (not the T)


I brought this up before in one of the 'trans issues' threads, that in conversation and some reading/documentaries on the Gay movement, that many lgb never connected with the trans movement, nor thought it was relevant to them. Not only that, but on a documentary about trans individuals, they were saying the don't consider themselves 'homosexual' but heterosexual or straight.
.
And then last year, reading a headline of trans groups going after gay groups/male campsites for transphobia.
.
.
"instead of praying the gay away, transing the gay away"
"medical gay conversion therapy"

LGB Fight Back - A Rift In The Community | Real Talk with Zuby

.

https://youtu.be/xZVdVIFLMRU
.

Belissa Cohen and Carrie Hathorn are representatives of 'LGB Fight Back', a multi-generational, US based, grassroots organization of lesbian, gay, and bi people who advocate for the interests of the LGB community.

AAUvwnh9mlwF1ktweyaK84gzo0-nh2YxX9QRurtVZ0vxdw=s48-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj


#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
“Strong people define themselves; weak people allow others to define them.” ― Ken Poirot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/03/21 12:44pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

For what it's worth, I'm bisexual but I've never "connected" with trans people. By that same token, I've never NOT connected with trans people. Simply put, I do not care one way or the other if someone is trans or L or G or B or any other letter of the alphabet.

What is it about humans that make us put labels on ourselves? Is it out of some weird need to "belong"? To be part of a group? To not feel alone? "Well, I'm attracted to members of my own sex so I must seek out others who feel the same so we can form some sort of alliance". The whole thing doesn't make sense to me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/03/21 2:51pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

For what it's worth, I'm bisexual but I've never "connected" with trans people. By that same token, I've never NOT connected with trans people. Simply put, I do not care one way or the other if someone is trans or L or G or B or any other letter of the alphabet.

What is it about humans that make us put labels on ourselves? Is it out of some weird need to "belong"? To be part of a group? To not feel alone? "Well, I'm attracted to members of my own sex so I must seek out others who feel the same so we can form some sort of alliance". The whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

I suspect the need for alliance you mentioned is probably strongest in those that have been ostracized for most or all of their lives. Being an outsider, being “different “- whether because of your sexuality or being an ethnic or religious minority, or just someone who doesn’t conform to societal norms. And labels are in many cases imposed by outsiders before they are adopted by the person themselves
#SOCIETYDEFINESU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/03/21 4:14pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

EmmaMcG said:

For what it's worth, I'm bisexual but I've never "connected" with trans people. By that same token, I've never NOT connected with trans people. Simply put, I do not care one way or the other if someone is trans or L or G or B or any other letter of the alphabet.

What is it about humans that make us put labels on ourselves? Is it out of some weird need to "belong"? To be part of a group? To not feel alone? "Well, I'm attracted to members of my own sex so I must seek out others who feel the same so we can form some sort of alliance". The whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

I suspect the need for alliance you mentioned is probably strongest in those that have been ostracized for most or all of their lives. Being an outsider, being “different “- whether because of your sexuality or being an ethnic or religious minority, or just someone who doesn’t conform to societal norms. And labels are in many cases imposed by outsiders before they are adopted by the person themselves



Yeah, I reckon you're probably right. Although my own reaction to being regarded as "different" was the opposite. I never cared for LGBT groups. Or any group for that matter. I'm more of a "leave me the fuck alone, I don't want to be part of your club" mindset. Although I realise that not everyone shares that trait.

But still, it seems weird to me that anyone, whether they be gay, straight or anything in between would be against any trans person just because they're trans. I mean, I'll admit that I don't understand it. I don't understand how someone can be born in the wrong body or whatever. But that doesn't mean I don't support your decision to live your life the way you want to live it. Trans people don't do me any harm. Plus I imagine it takes a tremendous amount of courage to come out as trans and whereas my own "coming out" was pretty much a non-event as far as I was concerned, that's definitely not the case for a lot of gay and/or bisexual people. So I would think that if anyone would be more understanding of the "trans struggle" it would be LGB folks.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/04/21 7:15am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

I do have to admit this is a bigoted thread.

Trans and gays tend to be 2gether. They have to be in a sick country.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/04/21 9:09am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

2freaky4church1 said:

I do have to admit this is a bigoted thread.

Trans and gays tend to be 2gether. They have to be in a sick country.

stop it, the thread isn't bigoted

it's a piece by LGB individuals address something that is real to them

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
“Strong people define themselves; weak people allow others to define them.” ― Ken Poirot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/04/21 8:33pm

TonyVanDam

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:


I brought this up before in one of the 'trans issues' threads, that in conversation and some reading/documentaries on the Gay movement, that many lgb never connected with the trans movement, nor thought it was relevant to them. Not only that, but on a documentary about trans individuals, they were saying the don't consider themselves 'homosexual' but heterosexual or straight.
.
And then last year, reading a headline of trans groups going after gay groups/male campsites for transphobia.
.

.

Are they serious? rolleyes Excuse me, but those gay male campsites are just THAT for a reason: You must be a biological man, who is a homosexual, and likes other homosexual men only! Those men are just not into transmen, especially if some of those post-op transmen forgot to get "designer penises" for themselves. lol

[Edited 6/5/21 4:32am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/06/21 7:33am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

TonyVanDam said:

OldFriends4Sale said:


I brought this up before in one of the 'trans issues' threads, that in conversation and some reading/documentaries on the Gay movement, that many lgb never connected with the trans movement, nor thought it was relevant to them. Not only that, but on a documentary about trans individuals, they were saying the don't consider themselves 'homosexual' but heterosexual or straight.
.
And then last year, reading a headline of trans groups going after gay groups/male campsites for transphobia.
.

.

Are they serious? rolleyes Excuse me, but those gay male campsites are just THAT for a reason: You must be a biological man, who is a homosexual, and likes other homosexual men only! Those men are just not into transmen, especially if some of those post-op transmen forgot to get "designer penises" for themselves. lol

[Edited 6/5/21 4:32am]

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/gay-campground-banning-transgender-men

Gay campground under fire for banning transgender men from the park

A gay campground in Michigan is under fire for having a rule that bans transgender people who identify as male from joining the membership-only park.

“Camp Boomerang is a private, membership-only rv park/campground that allows only ‘guys,’” wrote park co-owner Bryan Quinn in a since-deleted Facebook post. “A ‘guy,’ in terms of this discussion, is defined as a person with a penis, [who] presents himself as male and has a state-issued ID that says ‘male.'”

“It is our hope that everyone who visits Camp Boomerang enjoys a comfortable, safe, non-confrontational environment going forward,” Quinn continued. “Being a ‘private membership only’ entity allows us the ability to build a like-minded atmosphere. We don’t mean for this to come off as a ‘like it or leave it’ attitude, but we feel it’s necessary for everyone to know exactly what our vision is for Camp Boomerang.”

The park's co-owner said he understood the sensitivity of the topic, saying that the post was only an attempt to clarify the camp’s rules.

...


“We understand this statement, unfortunately, may not make everyone happy, but feel it needs to be clarified,” Quinn said.

His prediction that not everyone would be happy was quickly realized, with one user asking whether the camp would be requiring “penis checks” in order to be admitted.

“Listen guys, we NEVER said anything about ‘penis checks,’ but let’s be real here,” Quinn responded. “If we let women that act like men in, and they go naked at the pool, that’s when it’s obvious that there’s no penis. Sorry to put it bluntly. But if you don’t like the rules, quietly leave.”

That response didn’t sit well with another commenter, who accused Quinn of being “cowardly” for turning off comments without giving others the chance to express their displeasure with the camp’s rules...

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
“Strong people define themselves; weak people allow others to define them.” ― Ken Poirot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/23/21 10:14am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Tensions between trans women and gay men boil over at Stonewall anniversary

“Gay men, they can assimilate. The rest of us don’t have the right or the privilege to blend in. We can’t blend in,” Amor said.

“This is what it is and we need full force from the community to stand behind us.”

Tensions between trans wo... | Reuters

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
“Strong people define themselves; weak people allow others to define them.” ― Ken Poirot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/12/21 5:50am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

A Look at Transphobia Wit... Institute

A Look at Transphobia Within the LGBTQ community

Anthropomorphized lgbtqi letters holding a trans flag

Note: This blog contains language and terms that may have changed in meaning over time, as well as some now considered slurs; they are used in their historical context in this blog.

Transphobia directed at trans women sometimes originates from radical lesbian feminists. For example, author Janice Raymond published a book in 1979 titled “The Transsexual Empire: The Making of the She-Male” where she claims that trans women are men colonizing the female body and are reinforcing traditional, patriarchal gender roles. This work and others by similarly-minded authors are widely held as bigoted and transphobic.

I reached out to Brianna Titone, a trans candidate for the Colorado State House of Representatives, asked her to give a statement about discrimination against transgender folks from cisgender queer folks. She had this to say:

“I feel that support for the T in LGBTQ is more talk and less action. Everyone that is LGBTQ always says they support the LGBTQ community, but it’s still a struggle to get trans people front and center, and when they are, it seems somewhat disingenuous as they are asked to be there because they have to include everyone. As a trans candidate, I have heard all of the organizations and leaders say they support LGBTQ candidates, but few of the LGBTQ leaders have reached out to help my race. Being a true ally to the trans community means bringing more trans people to the table, and while this is happening more, it’s still not happening enough.

The rare opportunity that a trans candidate is actually running should be a chance to highlight the support to the trans community they all tout about, but when it doesn’t happen, it seems obvious that we are still looked at as unwinnable longshots not worth the effort. When a trans person is running for office, if you claim to be LGBTQ and say you truly support the community, you should be bringing them to the table and elevating their voices because that is being truly inclusive and striving to bring us closer to equality. If they fail to do that, I question the statements some make about claiming to be support. Put your money where your mouth is.”

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
“Strong people define themselves; weak people allow others to define them.” ― Ken Poirot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/12/21 9:26am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

darn

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > LGB (not the T)