independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Democrats/Moderates vs the Squad
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/13/20 8:40am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Democrats/Moderates vs the Squad

Is it possible that this group of progressive Democrats can energize one of the other 3rd parties?
There seems to be more 'divided' and diverse agendas and goals within the Democratic Party, and I've seen a lot of it come to the head this year.


#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/13/20 8:48am

jaawwnn

avatar

It's a good question.

They could leave and bring their vote with them? They couldn't win an election but they could stop the Dems from winning unless their demands are met, kind of how Nigel Farage did in the UK with UKIP and the Conservatives.

I could see a third party gaining power over time, but it would be a long fight.

"I think people ought to know that we're anti-fascist, we're anti-violence, we're anti-racist and we're pro-creative. We're against ignorance."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/13/20 9:02am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator



Tlaib rejects centrist Democrats calling for unity and moderation
Andrew Mark Miller 18 hrs ago

.

Rep. Rashida Tlaib rejected criticisms from centrist Democrats who blamed progressive rhetoric for a disappointing election performance in the House and doubled down on far-left policies.

"We're not going to be successful if we're silencing districts like mine," the Michigan Democrat and member of the "Squad" told Politico this week. "Me not being able to speak on behalf of many of my neighbors right now, many of which are Black neighbors, means me being silenced. I can't be silent."

...

Last week, some centrist House Democrats reportedly expressed frustration on a conference call over having to defend certain "progressive" policies, including defunding the police, which Rep. Abigail Spanberger allegedly believes almost cost her reelection.

"If we run this race again, we will get f---ing torn apart again in 2022," Spanberger allegedly said, adding that Democrats should avoid using the word "socialism."

Democrats were expected to increase their majority in the House in last week's election but instead lost at least five seats with votes still being counted.

...

"Our party isn't even online, not in a real way that exhibits competence," Ocasio-Cortez said, adding that "if you're not spending $200,000 on Facebook with fundraising, persuasion, volunteer recruitment, get-out-the-vote the week before the election, you are not firing on all cylinders. And not a single one of these campaigns were firing on all cylinders."

The other two members of the Squad, Rep. Ayanna Pressley and Rep. Ilhan Omar, have both stood firm against criticism from centrists on social media.

"We don't actually have to choose between being popular and governing," Omar tweeted. "In fact, you can't govern without building support and solidarity. Our popularity comes from our commitment to real working class solidarity. Other Democrats should consider why that is."
...
read more here: http://www.msn.com/en-us/...ocid=ientp


BB1aXzcn.img?h=683&w=1119&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=845&y=400

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/13/20 9:12am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Look at the exit polls people. 15 dollar minimum wage won in Florida, thank Bernie. Legal marijuana elsewhere. Thank the Squad. People who won advocated defunding police, socialism. Exit polls also show people mostly give high marks to BLM.

Americans are left wing, they were led to belieave Trump somehow helped their economy. Don't buy it, he only helped rich people. Majority of voters who made over 100 thou voted Trump. People who made under 50 thou voted Biden. This is Wall Street nonsense.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/13/20 9:12am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator



http://www.msn.com/en-us/...ocid=ientp


House Democratic civil war underway as far left takes on moderates

Duration: 05:16 10 hrs ago

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy joins 'The Ingraham Angle' with reaction and analysis

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/13/20 9:13am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

haha

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/13/20 9:46am

jaawwnn

avatar

All those news stories paint the 'moderates' as passive and just wanting to get along compared to the 'radical' left who have all sorts of crazy 'far-left' purity-test ideas like, I dunno, basic healthcare for the poor. The moderates literally control the party, they're the ones making the decisions.

"I think people ought to know that we're anti-fascist, we're anti-violence, we're anti-racist and we're pro-creative. We're against ignorance."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/13/20 10:26am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

2freaky4church1 said:

Look at the exit polls people. 15 dollar minimum wage won in Florida, thank Bernie. Legal marijuana elsewhere. Thank the Squad. People who won advocated defunding police, socialism. Exit polls also show people mostly give high marks to BLM.

Americans are left wing, they were led to belieave Trump somehow helped their economy. Don't buy it, he only helped rich people. Majority of voters who made over 100 thou voted Trump. People who made under 50 thou voted Biden. This is Wall Street nonsense.

These parties and issues existed before Trump and outside of Trump. Let's leave that out and kind look 'in house'. The differences, the issues etc AOC cried that the Democratic party didn't acknowledge her and that Obama didn't endorse her. There are issues in house.

.

I also don't think there was a real win in defunding the police. Minneapolis is on vary shaky grounds with that right now. And where/what defund meant when it happened.
I also don't want this to turn into a blm thread. unless we are talking directly about discourse between the Squad and blm
.

Black Lives Matter support down since June, still strong ...www.pewresearch.org › fact-tank › 2020/09/16 › supp... Sep 16, 2020 — 55% of U.S. adults now express at least some support for the Black Lives Matter movement, down from 67% in June.

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/13/20 10:46am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator



Ocasio-Cortez tweets displeasure of Manchin after he attacks 'crazy socialist agenda'
Zack Budryk 17 hrs ago
    
    
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) hit back at a tweet by Sen. Joe Manchin, a centrist Democrat from West Virginia, with an image of her appearing to glower at him at the State of the Union.
.
In the original tweet, Manchin linked to an article about his opposition to ending the Senate filibuster while knocking calls from progressive lawmakers, such as Ocasio-Cortez, to defund police. "Defund the police? Defund, my butt. I'm a proud West Virginia Democrat. We are the party of working men and women. We want to protect Americans' jobs & healthcare. We do not have some crazy socialist agenda, and we do not believe in defunding the police," Manchin wrote. Ocasio-Cortez responded to the tweet on Thursday: https://t.co/4D4LVOyYhc pic.twitter.com/MwNIc41Szj - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) November 12, 2020 Tensions have flared in the party after House Democrats underperformed expectations this year, with more conservative Democrats accusing progressive members in solidly blue districts like Ocasio-Cortez's of sabotaging their chances in swing districts.

.
Rep. Abigail Spanberger (D-Va.), who narrowly won reelection last week, spoke out in a call with Democratic House members last week, accusing her more progressive colleagues of enabling Republican attacks that she was anti-law enforcement. Ocasio-Cortez has fired back at such attacks before, telling The New York Times recently, "It's your own party thinking you're the enemy. When your own colleagues talk anonymously in the press and then turn around and say you're bad because you actually append your name to your opinion."
..
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ocasio-cortez-tweets-displeasure-of-manchin-after-he-attacks-crazy-socialist-agenda/ar-BB1aXt9r?ocid=ientp




#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/13/20 11:08am

Margot

Most Dems are moderate, though too passive.

Though I am not Republican and abhor fracking and other Republican environmental stances, I will say that I hope they retain the Senate majority in order to keep a lid on the progressive demands. I support spending on environmental programs, infrastructure etc., but I don't want to give free rein to union pension demands and tons of social programs.

I worry the 'Squad' will crazily over-tax, over-spend and bankrupt us.

AOC in particular is too young, inexperienced and does not know what she does not know.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/17/20 6:12am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator




Progressives turned out for Joe Biden. Now they want a big role in his administration.

By Gregory Krieg and Annie Grayer, CNN 2 hrs ago

Progressives turned out for Joe Biden. Now they want a big role in his administration.

Joe Biden won't be sworn in for another 64 days, but the President-elect is already under pressure from activist groups to bring progressive leaders into his administration -- and close its doors to establishment figures with cozy relationships to Wall Street, defense contractors and the fossil fuel industry.

Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders standing next to a person in a suit and tie© Gabriella Demczuk for CNN

The pressure campaign has played out in public, with the release of open letters and lists of acceptable candidates for top Cabinet positions, via private calls with potential nominees, and on social media, where progressive groups have warned the incoming administration against reneging on Biden's promise to forge an aggressive new path in the fight against climate change.

Load Error

Top progressives are, for now, sounding a cautiously optimistic tone following the release of Biden's "agency review teams" and his quick decision to name longtime adviser Ron Klain, who has built bonds across ideological lines, as his White House chief of staff. But there are potential fights on the horizon and the uncertainty surrounding control of the Senate could further complicate a detente that has largely carried over from the campaign. If Democrats fail to win both run-off elections in Georgia early next year, the body will remain under the control of Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell -- and everything from Biden's legislative agenda to his Cabinet nominations would likely face partisan blockades.

There are also concerns among some progressives over whether the coalition has the capacity to speak with one voice on a broad range of issues, including arenas where it is less organized and engaged, like national security.

"That's one of the growing pains for the progressive movement, which is how do we organize to maximize our power? You have to do that by building collaboration," said Nina Turner, a former top aide on Sen. Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign. "I just don't think we do that enough, not yet anyway. I'm sure that all of the different progressive groups probably have their list, and have been thinking about it, but we would be stronger if we came together and decided on a list and then went forward that way."

Lists of names -- and demands...http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/progressives-turned-out-for-joe-biden-now-they-want-a-big-role-in-his-administration/ar-BB1b5ydh?ocid=ientp

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/17/20 6:27am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator



Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has a plan to save the USPS: Progressive Penpals The USPS Postmaster has announced massive shakeup ahead of an impending surge of mail-in ballots. This is sabotage.
.
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed many aspects of our daily lives, but one change that was not anticipated until recently was that millions of Americans would be forced to change the way they vote. A record number of eligible voters are opting for mail-in voting this year, but in the background, President Trump has been directly undermining the system millions are relying on to get their ballots delivered: the U.S. Postal Service. Ever since Postmaster Louis DeJoy assumed the position of Postmaster General on June 15, 2020, alarms have been raised over conflicts of interest. Dejoy is a major Trump donor — giving over $2 million to his administration since its creation. Dejoy has also owned shares with USPS competitors, United Parcel Services (UPS), and Amazon. Ever since Dejoy became Postmaster General, his implementation of new changes has only exacerbated issues at the USPS. And as alarms over slowed-down mail service increase, concerns are being raised over whether the USPS will be able to handle a historic volume of mail-in ballots in 2020. Rep. Carolyn Maloney, Chair of Oversight Dems called on Postmaster General DeJoy to testify at an urgent Oversight Committee hearing scheduled for Aug. 24 to further look into the changes made to the USPS, which “experts warn could degrade delivery standards, slow the mail, and potentially impair the rights of eligible Americans to cast their votes through the mail in the upcoming November elections,” the letter to Dejoy reads. “As you know, my staff first requested your testimony several weeks ago, and you indicated that the first available date you could appear was September 17, 2020,” the letter continues, indicating Dejoy has been evading the committee for some weeks. “See you there,” wrote Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) on Twitter, See you there. #SaveThePostOffice https://t.co/eBpDrfFqXq — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 16, 2020 On the night of Aug. 16, AOC took to her Instagram story to present an intriguing — and rather compelling idea to save the USPS. “I have been thinking about ways to help you help the Post office. And I think I've got an idea and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts,” she began.

https://aldianews.com/articles/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-has-plan-save-usps-progressive-penpals/60118

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/17/20 9:51am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

In the end it is about how much you want to help, not hurt people. The more right you go the more you want to hurt. Hurting is seen as good for you. Hurt and pain makes you tough. Hurt actually weakons. Nurchering heals. Pain harms.

The left wants to heal, the right wants to harm. Why our side will get censored the most because our views are affective.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/17/20 9:51am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Fake unity is capitualation.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/17/20 11:30am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

2freaky4church1 said:

In the end it is about how much you want to help, not hurt people. The more right you go the more you want to hurt. Hurting is seen as good for you. Hurt and pain makes you tough. Hurt actually weakons. Nurchering heals. Pain harms.

The left wants to heal, the right wants to harm. Why our side will get censored the most because our views are affective.

boy you know not to mix alchohol with medication and then post online lol

taxes are about to go up for a bunch of shit I didn't order lol

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/17/20 12:16pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator



Bickering Democrats return with divisions
Mike Lillis and Scott Wong 6 hrs ago
    
    House Democrats returned to Washington this week licking their wounds after a demoralizing election performance and seeking ways to cool simmering internal tensions heading into the next Congress.

heading into the next Congress. a person wearing a blue shirt: Bickering Democrats return with divisions© Greg NashBickering Democrats return with divisions After predicting big gains to pad their majority, the party suffered the loss of at least 10 sitting members, with several more expected, and failed to knock off even a single Republican incumbent - something that was virtually unthinkable heading into Nov. 3. The disappointing results have sparked an internal reckoning, one that has featured moderates blaming liberals for botching the party's message; liberals pushing back in defense of efforts to energize the progressive base; and lawmakers of all stripes growing increasingly frustrated that the post-election finger-pointing has spilled into public view. "The hardest part about that is finding the forum to just talk it through," Rep. Jared Huffman (D-Calif.) said Monday. "These are not insurmountable differences. We're all on the same team and I am convinced that, frankly

it's a pretty easy fix if we can just hear each other out and work it through. It's hard to do that on a super-leaky caucus call, and with all the outside folks just delighting in any hint of conflict. "That's going to be a challenge for us." Caught in the middle are Democratic leaders, who are scrambling to decipher what went wrong on Nov. 3 and how to turn down the heat to help facilitate their legislative and political goals in the coming months. In a letter to Democrats on Monday, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) appealed for unity, warning that internal divisions would only empower Republicans, undermine the Democrats' chances to move another round of coronavirus relief in the lame-duck session, and threaten the party's prospects in a pair of upcoming special Senate elections in Georgia. "We advocate because we believe we can convince others of our point of view. If we advocate to unify, we can prevail," Pelosi wrote.

...

"We lost members who shouldn't have lost," Spanberger said during a caucus call several days after the election, the audio of which was obtained by The Washington Post. Progressives fired back, arguing that their platform had energized the party's base, thereby greasing the skids to President Trump's defeat - the Democrats' primary goal this cycle. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), a liberal social media superstar, has gone a step further, criticizing party leaders and campaign operatives for what she considered a lackluster digital outreach strategy. And other liberals have cautioned that abandoning the liberal agenda risks making the party irrelevant in the future by alienating younger voters drawn to those left-leaning policies. "The future, I think, is clearly [a] multiracial, multiethnic progressive future," Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.), a prominent member of the Progressive Caucus, said Sunday in an interview with MSNBC. "That's where the base is, that's where young people are." Other lawmakers were quick to note that Democrats kept the gavel, won the White House and made gains in the Senate, even if the congressional results came in below expectations.

...


http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/bickering-democrats-return-with-divisions/ar-BB1b4j6t?ocid=ientp

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/17/20 12:31pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator


http://www.msn.com/en-us/...ocid=ientp


Ilhan Omar cuts financial ties with husband's political firm after paying it nearly $2.8M

Duration: 04:13 2 hrs ago

************


US Rep. Ilhan Omar severs financial ties with husband's political firmBy Stephen Montemayor, Star Tribune (Minneapolis) 18 hrs ago

Giuliani Conjures Up Vast Election Conspiracy in Court Hearing

Republican Group Releases Ad Supporting Georgia's GOP Secretary of State...

US Rep. Ilhan Omar severs financial ties with husband's political firm

MINNEAPOLIS — U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar has told supporters that her campaign is no longer doing business with her husband's political consulting firm, a connection that had previously sparked scrutiny and complaints to campaign finance watchdogs.



© Glen Stubbe/Minneapolis Star Tribune/TNS In a file photo, surrounded by local elected officials and community leaders, Rep. Ilhan Omar speaks to the media, making her case for re-election on Aug. 5, 2020 in St. Paul, Minnesota.
.
In an email late Sunday, Omar said her campaign was terminating its contract with the firm to "make sure that anybody who is supporting our campaign with their time or financial support feels there is no perceived issue with that support."

The Federal Election Commission has taken no public action in response to a complaint last year from a conservative group that alleged money from Omar's campaign paid to now-husband Tim Mynett and his E Street Group LLC for personal travel expenses...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/...ocid=ientp

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/17/20 2:23pm

TonyVanDam

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

Is it possible that this group of progressive Democrats can energize one of the other 3rd parties?
There seems to be more 'divided' and diverse agendas and goals within the Democratic Party, and I've seen a lot of it come to the head this year.



And while we are at it, is it finally OK to say that Cenk Ugyer's original idea, Justice Democrats, which did help invent the Democratic Party's so-called "progressive wing" has been a massive FAILED? hmmm

.

Excuse me, but the biggest mistake that Cenk Ugyer & Sen. Bernie Sanders ever made is the same mistake that Jesse Jackson & Howard Dean once made in their respected timelines: Thinking That The Democratic Party Can Ever Be Changed From The Inside!

.

The Democratic Party has too many corporate estabishment pawns [PERFECT EXAMPLE: Nancy Pelosi, one of many neo-liberals] that are marks for the establishment's donation money, which means that most decisions a Democratic politician makes is about pleasing the corporates and NEVER give any damns for the regular U.S. American people and their needs.

.

And remember, The Republician Party [with loads of neo-conservatives] has the same problem, hence why I have been saying that both major political parties are the problem and it will NEVER get any better unless the long time career politiicans within both parties are either voted out OR thrown out. In addition, 3rd parties [Libertarians, Green, & Constitutional] candidates should be given a chance to show everyone that they are better opinions than the 2 major parties.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/17/20 4:13pm

IanRG

TonyVanDam said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Is it possible that this group of progressive Democrats can energize one of the other 3rd parties?
There seems to be more 'divided' and diverse agendas and goals within the Democratic Party, and I've seen a lot of it come to the head this year.



And while we are at it, is it finally OK to say that Cenk Ugyer's original idea, Justice Democrats, which did help invent the Democratic Party's so-called "progressive wing" has been a massive FAILED? hmmm

.

Excuse me, but the biggest mistake that Cenk Ugyer & Sen. Bernie Sanders ever made is the same mistake that Jesse Jackson & Howard Dean once made in their respected timelines: Thinking That The Democratic Party Can Ever Be Changed From The Inside!

.

The Democratic Party has too many corporate estabishment pawns [PERFECT EXAMPLE: Nancy Pelosi, one of many neo-liberals] that are marks for the establishment's donation money, which means that most decisions a Democratic politician makes is about pleasing the corporates and NEVER give any damns for the regular U.S. American people and their needs.

.

And remember, The Republician Party [with loads of neo-conservatives] has the same problem, hence why I have been saying that both major political parties are the problem and it will NEVER get any better unless the long time career politiicans within both parties are either voted out OR thrown out. In addition, 3rd parties [Libertarians, Green, & Constitutional] candidates should be given a chance to show everyone that they are better opinions than the 2 major parties.

.

Until the electoral system is changed so the 2 majors have to be more representative of the people and no one is disadvanted by effectively throwing away their vote if they don't choose to vote for a major nothing will change. The Democrats will need to cover the spectrum from moderately progressive (AOC/Sanders) through liberal to moderately conservative. The Republicans will need to cover the spectrum from centerist conservative to traditional conservative/nationalist conservative/ libertarian/tea party/QAnon conspiracists and the far right.

.

The only ways a third party can get anywhere in the US are things like introducing preferential voting, allowing coalitions of majors with minors, reducing the power of the temporary monarch/president. The best development in the Australian Parliament has been that with the move away from the majors (25 to 30% of people do not vote major now down from less than 5% in 1950s) there is little chance that either major is able to control the Senate so it is a true House of review. Neither major is going to go for this in the US because it goes against their own interests. Until then the only way to get anywhere is to infiltrate and work within, be it by people like Sanders or people like trump.

.

This is nothing new - the majors have always straddled widely disparate political views.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 11/18/20 2:51am

jaawwnn

avatar

If the justice democrats get big enough they can change the party tea-party style, or threaten to destroy it by taking their votes with them and forming a new party UKIP style. The geriatric dem leaders will hang on to their neoliberal ideas for dear life so they need to be forced, and do not expect them to let go easily. A hard fight ahead.

[Edited 11/18/20 2:52am]

"I think people ought to know that we're anti-fascist, we're anti-violence, we're anti-racist and we're pro-creative. We're against ignorance."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 11/18/20 3:35am

v10letblues

avatar

Look, the thing is quite simple. If you want to enact change, you need to win elections. Even incremental change is better than none, or worse, regression when republicans are elected.

.

Obama was able to enact momumental change by being a viable electable candidate, even as so-called pregressives were fighting him for far more aggressive/unviable agendas that put them in the same league as republicans in their efforts to sink Obamacare or helpful legislation.

.

Progessives have a "cut-your-nose-to-spite-your-face" attitude where they would rather that Biden lost makes them come off like republican operatives trying to sabotage REAL progress.

.

Biden was ELECTED BECAUSE he is NOT a so-called progressive. He effectively ENDS Trump and republican rule by NOT being a so-called progressive. THAT is PROGRESS.

.

Democrats need to win elections. They need to focus on winning elections and lay off the bullshit long enough to win elections. They need to learn from Biden and Obama on how not to alienate half of America. We do not live in a bubble. We are a nation devided that needs unifying forces, not further devision

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 11/18/20 7:35am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Win elections? You do know big money rules? Outside activism helps the most.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 11/18/20 9:41am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator



Progressive group Justice Democrats criticizes Biden appointments
Zack Budryk 23 hrs ago
         

The progressive organization Justice Democrats in a statement Tuesday criticized President-elect Joe Biden's reported plans to make "corporate-friendly appointments" to his administration.



Cedric Richmond, Joe Biden are posing for a picture: Progressive group Justice Democrats criticizes Biden appointments© Bonnie Cash/Greg NashProgressive group Justice Democrats criticizes Biden appointments "If Joe Biden continues making corporate-friendly appointments to his White House, he will risk quickly fracturing the hard-earned goodwill his team built with progressives to defeat Donald Trump," Justice Democrats Executive Director Alexandra Rojas said in a statement. "A Biden administration dominated by corporate-friendly insiders like [former Biden chief of staff] Steve Ricchetti and [Rep.] Cedric Richmond [D-La.] will not help the President-elect usher in the most progressive Democratic administration in generations," she added.

The statement goes on to outline Ricchetti's history as a lobbyist for the pharmaceutical industry and the donations Richmond has received from the fossil fuel industry. "This move gives greater urgency for Joe Biden to create an office of Climate Mobilization on Day One and appoint progressives with records standing up to the fossil fuel industry," Rojas added. "Progressives make up nearly half of the Democratic Party's seats in the House of Representatives and should receive adequate representation in the Biden administration." Richmond, a national co-chair of Biden's campaign, announced Monday that he will serve as a senior adviser and assistant to Biden as president, a role that has been compared to that of Valerie Jarrett in the Obama administration. Richmond is currently the only Democratic and only Black member of Louisiana's House delegation.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/progressive-group-justice-democrats-criticizes-biden-appointments/ar-BB1b68Wr?ocid=ientp

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 11/18/20 10:44am

jaawwnn

avatar

v10letblues said:

Look, the thing is quite simple. If you want to enact change, you need to win elections. Even incremental change is better than none, or worse, regression when republicans are elected.

.

Obama was able to enact momumental change by being a viable electable candidate, even as so-called pregressives were fighting him for far more aggressive/unviable agendas that put them in the same league as republicans in their efforts to sink Obamacare or helpful legislation.

.

Progessives have a "cut-your-nose-to-spite-your-face" attitude where they would rather that Biden lost makes them come off like republican operatives trying to sabotage REAL progress.

.

Biden was ELECTED BECAUSE he is NOT a so-called progressive. He effectively ENDS Trump and republican rule by NOT being a so-called progressive. THAT is PROGRESS.

.

Democrats need to win elections. They need to focus on winning elections and lay off the bullshit long enough to win elections. They need to learn from Biden and Obama on how not to alienate half of America. We do not live in a bubble. We are a nation devided that needs unifying forces, not further devision

Clinton won in 1992 because there was a split ticket with a strong third party halving the Republican vote. Obama won because he ran as a progressive. No one who runs as a so-called "moderate" ever wins because it's running as a loser who offers people absolutely nothing. This election they had a cratering economy and a global pandemic on their side and they just barely scraped a win over Trump but they still learn nothing.

All the progressives won this time, and improved on how they did last time. Yes they were safe seats but their margin went up, not down.

The "moderates", i.e. neoliberal centrists, will FOREVER say that the reason they lose and they keep losing is everyone else's fault. They will never, ever take responsibility for the fact that they offered no reason to vote for them bar "we're not Trump." All they have to say is "look, we're sensible and everyone else is a crazy radical" while not realizing that 95% of people quite rightly despise this elitist attitude.

Anywhere that did well in 2020 the progressives had boots on the ground, doing the hard work while the moderates in the Democratic party spent millions and millions on impossible races and funding the Lincoln Project, who utterly failed in their single objective of converting conservative voters btw.

But once again, they find someone else to blame so this time it's all the progressives fault.

The only reason they won this time is because the progressives stuck around, and now they're blaming them. I wish this democratic party the best of luck as they are wiped out by the Republicans in 2022 and 2024, I look forward to seeing who they will point the finger at this time, Russia? AOC? Sanders? Trump?? Every single person in a red state? Who knows.



You want people to vote for you? Offer them something. Just like Hillary Clinton did not deserve to be president so the Democrats don't deserve people's votes. You have to earn it.

[Edited 11/18/20 10:55am]

"I think people ought to know that we're anti-fascist, we're anti-violence, we're anti-racist and we're pro-creative. We're against ignorance."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 11/18/20 12:31pm

IanRG

jaawwnn said:

If the justice democrats get big enough they can change the party tea-party style, or threaten to destroy it by taking their votes with them and forming a new party UKIP style. The geriatric dem leaders will hang on to their neoliberal ideas for dear life so they need to be forced, and do not expect them to let go easily. A hard fight ahead.

[Edited 11/18/20 2:52am]

.

The 3 most successful leaders in Australian history did this by representing a broad base of people and bringing the people with them, not just pushing their base.

.

Menzies knew the new party he formed needed to be a "broadchurch" of conservatives and liberals - As a conservative himself, he emphasised this by calling party the Liberal party.

.

Hawke as a left wing union leader (but not far left) knew that he needed the neo liberals and the socially conscious conservatives to be with him.

.

Howard as a conservative knew that he needed not just the liberals in his party but the "aspirational socialists" and the Aussie battlers.

.

It is the ones who stood just for their ideologies often against those within their party that failed to get leaderhip or retain it for long.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 11/18/20 4:14pm

Margot

I think the Dems need to let go of Identity politics which alienates and confuses the more moderate Dems. The moderate and progressive arms should compromise, decide what is most important, stop whining, work as a cohesive group, try to reach across the aisle and push substantive legislation.

If they splinter, the Repubs will take advantage. Egos at the door, please. Thank you.

There are many proposals I will happily pay taxes for, ie., improved infrastructure, improved

environmental standards.

I will be very unhappy to pay perfectly able people to collect various and sundry benefits

on my dime.

We alread have basic healthcare for the poor-it's called Medicaid, In CA, 1/3 of the population is receiving those benefits (Medi-Cal in CA)

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 11/19/20 1:51am

v10letblues

avatar

jaawwnn said:

v10letblues said:

Look, the thing is quite simple. If you want to enact change, you need to win elections. Even incremental change is better than none, or worse, regression when republicans are elected.

.

Obama was able to enact momumental change by being a viable electable candidate, even as so-called pregressives were fighting him for far more aggressive/unviable agendas that put them in the same league as republicans in their efforts to sink Obamacare or helpful legislation.

.

Progessives have a "cut-your-nose-to-spite-your-face" attitude where they would rather that Biden lost makes them come off like republican operatives trying to sabotage REAL progress.

.

Biden was ELECTED BECAUSE he is NOT a so-called progressive. He effectively ENDS Trump and republican rule by NOT being a so-called progressive. THAT is PROGRESS.

.

Democrats need to win elections. They need to focus on winning elections and lay off the bullshit long enough to win elections. They need to learn from Biden and Obama on how not to alienate half of America. We do not live in a bubble. We are a nation devided that needs unifying forces, not further devision

Clinton won in 1992 because there was a split ticket with a strong third party halving the Republican vote. Obama won because he ran as a progressive. No one who runs as a so-called "moderate" ever wins because it's running as a loser who offers people absolutely nothing. This election they had a cratering economy and a global pandemic on their side and they just barely scraped a win over Trump but they still learn nothing.

All the progressives won this time, and improved on how they did last time. Yes they were safe seats but their margin went up, not down.

The "moderates", i.e. neoliberal centrists, will FOREVER say that the reason they lose and they keep losing is everyone else's fault. They will never, ever take responsibility for the fact that they offered no reason to vote for them bar "we're not Trump." All they have to say is "look, we're sensible and everyone else is a crazy radical" while not realizing that 95% of people quite rightly despise this elitist attitude.

Anywhere that did well in 2020 the progressives had boots on the ground, doing the hard work while the moderates in the Democratic party spent millions and millions on impossible races and funding the Lincoln Project, who utterly failed in their single objective of converting conservative voters btw.

But once again, they find someone else to blame so this time it's all the progressives fault.

The only reason they won this time is because the progressives stuck around, and now they're blaming them. I wish this democratic party the best of luck as they are wiped out by the Republicans in 2022 and 2024, I look forward to seeing who they will point the finger at this time, Russia? AOC? Sanders? Trump?? Every single person in a red state? Who knows.



You want people to vote for you? Offer them something. Just like Hillary Clinton did not deserve to be president so the Democrats don't deserve people's votes. You have to earn it.

[Edited 11/18/20 10:55am]

Nonsense. Obama and clinton were both striving to be as moderate as possible to appeal and represent the entirety of Americans. That's how they were able to enact the change. Both were attacked by the far left.

We lost House seats because of ridiculous nonsense by the so-caled "progressives"

.

Here is a clip from the latest episode of Bill Maher's Real Time in which he digs into the problem with democrats so-called "progrssives"

https://youtu.be/SgrZAPUvKyA

[Edited 11/19/20 2:46am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 11/19/20 8:40am

Margot

Personally, I was very content with Clinton. One mis-step, though, was that Hillary came out of the gate with her healthcare agenda which upset the majority. (Many working Americans with decent jobs/insurance do not want to give it up)

The US is large and diverse with many competing regional differences; I liken it to a huge ship that needs to be turned quite slowly. When one group demands change that might be construed as too far from the status quo, it destablizes the ship and there is often backlash.

For the US, I think slow and steady, incremental change works best.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 11/19/20 9:17am

Margot

v10letblues said:

jaawwnn said:

Clinton won in 1992 because there was a split ticket with a strong third party halving the Republican vote. Obama won because he ran as a progressive. No one who runs as a so-called "moderate" ever wins because it's running as a loser who offers people absolutely nothing. This election they had a cratering economy and a global pandemic on their side and they just barely scraped a win over Trump but they still learn nothing.

All the progressives won this time, and improved on how they did last time. Yes they were safe seats but their margin went up, not down.

The "moderates", i.e. neoliberal centrists, will FOREVER say that the reason they lose and they keep losing is everyone else's fault. They will never, ever take responsibility for the fact that they offered no reason to vote for them bar "we're not Trump." All they have to say is "look, we're sensible and everyone else is a crazy radical" while not realizing that 95% of people quite rightly despise this elitist attitude.

Anywhere that did well in 2020 the progressives had boots on the ground, doing the hard work while the moderates in the Democratic party spent millions and millions on impossible races and funding the Lincoln Project, who utterly failed in their single objective of converting conservative voters btw.

But once again, they find someone else to blame so this time it's all the progressives fault.

The only reason they won this time is because the progressives stuck around, and now they're blaming them. I wish this democratic party the best of luck as they are wiped out by the Republicans in 2022 and 2024, I look forward to seeing who they will point the finger at this time, Russia? AOC? Sanders? Trump?? Every single person in a red state? Who knows.



You want people to vote for you? Offer them something. Just like Hillary Clinton did not deserve to be president so the Democrats don't deserve people's votes. You have to earn it.

[Edited 11/18/20 10:55am]

Nonsense. Obama and clinton were both striving to be as moderate as possible to appeal and represent the entirety of Americans. That's how they were able to enact the change. Both were attacked by the far left.

We lost House seats because of ridiculous nonsense by the so-caled "progressives"

.

Here is a clip from the latest episode of Bill Maher's Real Time in which he digs into the problem with democrats so-called "progrssives"

https://youtu.be/SgrZAPUvKyA

[Edited 11/19/20 2:46am]

Wow, Bill really got to the crux of the matter. I agree.

He gave many, many examples.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 11/20/20 5:38am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator



Ocasio-Cortez and 'the squad' rally to push Biden on bold climate action

Duration: 03:10 2 hrs ago

    

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rep. Ilhan Omar, and Rep. Rashida Tlaib spoke at a rally encouraging President-elect Joe Biden to take bold action on climate initiatives.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ocasio-cortez-and-the-squad-rally-to-push-biden-on-bold-climate-action/vi-BB1bcCr5?ocid=ientp



#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Democrats/Moderates vs the Squad